Clay and clay mathews?

Only 2 I can think of.

Archie Manning vs. Peyton Manning?

Archie wasn't top tier.

He didn't win any Super Bowls.

He didn't get any League MVPs.

He's currently not in the Hall of Fame.

19 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

I don't see how Marvin Harrison Jr. is just as great as his old man, the OG Marvin Harrison. Shaking my head. I don't get it. I have never seen the son surpassing the father WHEN the father is already top tier. The son would be lucky just to be in the same tier as his dad.

I don't care how these scouts and Youtubers are selling MHJ. I rather have Nabers, too.

It's happening more and more in modern times now that kids specialize in sports at a young age, and the pipeline to the NFL is workable with their connections (and obviously inherited physical traits and athleticism).

Ed McCaffery, Christian MCCaffery

Patrick Surtain, Patrick Surtain Jr.

Antoine Winfield, Antoine WInfield Jr.

Asante Samuel, Asante Samual Jr

• Like (+1) 2

Hahahaha this thread was all for nothing.  Beane said they never even tried to trade up and no one called them about seeing if they wanted to trade up either.  

I was pretty certain that we wouldn't make a big trade up, and was very vocal about it.  But even I let the rumors get to me thinking well maybe they will even though it made no sense to me.  

Gotta love the rumor mill of utter nonsense and BS this time of year haha

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:20 AM, transplantbillsfan said:

giphy.gif

Yup. We all get it.

No argument to make, so you post a gif. It's apparently all you have.

I'm sure the 12 year old TikTok girls think you're a genius.

The Falcs went 13-3, then traded up by giving away a huge trove of picks to get Jones. Jones was sensational, but the lack of all those players had a huge effect.

Even getting an HOF receiver didn't get them from 13-3 to a title having lost all the players they lost as compensation. In fact, in Julio's ten years with that team they only had four winning seasons. It's extremely questionable whether that was a smart trade.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Just checking in on this thread to make sure everybody’s OK

7 hours ago, mrags said:

No. We’re not 

Yeah?

I'm fine.

Lotta years before we know how this worked out, but again, trading up as high and giving up as much as they'd have had to get one of the top three never made economic sense.

I thought they might go up a bit for BTJ, but I guess they didn't like him as much as many thought. I'm just waiting to see how this all turns out. Might be great.

Anyway, Day Two just got a ton more interesting, from one pick to three.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah?

I'm fine.

Lotta years before we know how this worked out, but again, trading up as high and giving up as much as they'd have had to get one of the top three never made economic sense.

I thought they might go up a bit for BTJ, but I guess they didn't like him as much as many thought. I'm just waiting to see how this all turns out. Might be great.

What’s the over under on trading back again? How many 5th round picks will we end up with. 31 teams are salivating at this point.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hahahaha this thread was all for nothing.  Beane said they never even tried to trade up and no one called them about seeing if they wanted to trade up either.  

I was pretty certain that we wouldn't make a big trade up, and was very vocal about it.  But even I let the rumors get to me thinking well maybe they will even though it made no sense to me.  

Yeah I watch this and I realize that the worst part of the job is dealing with fans and media who don’t know anything. The posts in this board last night and today are embarrassing. 

• Agree 2

I don’t believe, for a second, that the Bills, or every team for that matter, didn’t have calls about going up and down. That’s malpractice. Now, maybe you didn’t like the cost that you were hearing. That’s a different conversation. You obviously have to listen. If the value is there, you pull the trigger. That’s exactly what Beane described happening with the Carolina trade. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t believe, for a second, that the Bills, or every team for that matter, didn’t have calls about going up and down. That’s malpractice. Now, maybe you didn’t like the cost that you were hearing. That’s a different conversation. You obviously have to listen. If the value is there, you pull the trigger. That’s exactly what Beane described happening with the Carolina trade. 

They MAY not have been as high on BTJ as many of us (myself included) were. And if the price to get into the top 10 was unattainable then they probably did the right thing. 

I just hope they like AD or Ladd and not Franklin (as it appears with all the meetings). 

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah?

I'm fine.

Well. At the time I was seriously being sarcastic. Brian Thomas Jr hadn’t been locked yet. We were somewhere wound pick 20 I think. 

personally, I think we had a deal in place with Dallas at 24. Then BTJ went at 23 and everything changed for us. I say this because Dallas took all but 12 seconds to announce their trade with Detroit. Which makes me believe they had a deal in place with someone and then at the last minute it fell through. So they scrambled for another deal. 

im somewhat fine with everything for the most part. But as i wrote in my post about how things played out, we will look like fools if Worthy or Legette are stars in this league, no matter who we pick. 

personally I think they may trade back again at 33. In Beanes presser last night they already said they were fielding calls. 

1 hour ago, ToGoGo said:

Yeah I watch this and I realize that the worst part of the job is dealing with fans and media who don’t know anything. The posts in this board last night and today are embarrassing. 

Yeah for real man, spot on

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here's Beane's quote:  "Did not try to move up.  We did not.  And we didn't have any calls of people saying 'do you want?'... We were checking the whole night, you know, around our area and back."

I note that to Beane, there's a distinction between "trying to move up" and "checking".  He very well may have had calls with teams in the top 10 (likely pre-draft) that got into hypotheticals, but he's saying he never made anyone an offer, not got a call from a team in front of us asking us to make an offer.  Which makes sense if you believe the pre-draft rumors that most teams were looking to move up, not down.

I think Beane's decision tree entering last night was something like:

1. Draft a player with a 1st-round grade at 28
  2. Small move-up (not including 60) to draft a player with a 1st-round grade
  3. Trade down, but not lower than the 35-40 range or so
  4. Draft a player with a 2nd-round grade at 28

Maybe there's another one in there that's like, "If Rome Odunze falls into the teens, put #60 on the table to move up for him," but it's hard to say since he was off the board at 9.  I feel fairly confident they weren't super interested in Brian Thomas Jr, because it probably wouldn't have been cost-prohibitive to move up for him as it played out.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

What’s the over under on trading back again? How many 5th round picks will we end up with. 31 teams are salivating at this point.

That's what I want to see, an all Bills 5th round draft. 

[Talking head strolls up to the mic]

"With the 1st through 32nd pics in the 5th round of the draft, the Bills have selected..."

[and then they proceed to list off 32 players]

• SDS locked this topic