A visual argument against trading down & for trading up

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I agree with you completely on the need for elite talent.

Where the debate seems to lie is with what is the best strategy to acquire same?

As I pointed out to @transplantbillsfan above, the "hit rate" from taking one of the top-3 WR in the 1st round, and taking 1 of the top-2 WR in the 2nd round, are practically identical - 8/14 vs 6/10, 57% vs 60%.  And some of those 2nd round players are arguably elite WR talent - AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr.

If I were guessing which way the frog will jump, my guess is that Beane will trade up slightly and draft a WR in the 1st.

But I don't think it would be closing the door on the potential for elite talent to trade back slightly and get a guy at the top of the 2nd, either.

I agree on that. But I still think Odunze and Nabors will be clearly better than most of this class. I’m not sold on MHJ actually. And of course a lot has to do with where guys get drafted, their situations, their teams, their QBs, their coaches. Someone will do a lot better in Buffalo than they would on Vegas for example imo. 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Great that you put so much work into this, but how are you getting to 60% hit rate over the last 5 years if you just draft one of the first 3 WR in the 1st round of the draft?  That's 14 WR in the last 5 years (2019 saw only 2).  By your assessment, that's 8 hits.  8/14 = 57%.  Now that's better than a coin flip, but not too much.

I said drafting one of the first 3 WRs. In 2019 Deebo was #3

Now let's look at what happens if you just draft one of the first 2 WR in the 2nd round of the draft?  That's 10 WR over the last 5 years.  By your assessment, that's 6 hits, so 6/10 = 60%.  That's actually BETTER than what you would get if you just drafted one of the first 3 WR in the first round!!!!!  So according to your data - we would be just as good or better if we TRADE BACK!  AJ Brown is the best WR in the 2019 draft, with Deebo Samuel a close 2nd.  

Interesting perspective, but honest question, do you really think it we keep going back 15-20 years that trend keeps up? We can take the time to do it as long as you acknowledge your flawed premise. Of course I'd do the same.

Sorry, but once you start what-if'ing, like "what if Ruggs didn't go to prison?" respectfully, we're entering the realm of fancy.  What if Jerry Jeudy had a decent QB throwing to him instead of Drew Lock, Teddy Bridgewater, and The Ghost of Russell Wilson? 

I didn't include Ruggs as a hit, so why does the fact that I brought it up make you so upset?

What if Shenault has better QB than Mayfield, Darnold, and Bryce Young?

I actually think listing those QBs works against you

39 minutes ago, mrags said:

I agree on that. But I still think Odunze and Nabors will be clearly better than most of this class. I’m not sold on MHJ actually. And of course a lot has to do with where guys get drafted, their situations, their teams, their QBs, their coaches. Someone will do a lot better in Buffalo than they would on Vegas for example imo. 

Personally, I can't even pretend to have any kind of meaningful opinion - I just don't watch that much college football.

But you're absolutely right that a lot goes into whether or not a guy succeeds beyond his innate talent. 

In addition to the factors you mention, there's also the intangibles of, how does this kid react to becoming an overnight millionaire?   

It doesn't help that to my observation with HS athletes, really talented athletes tend to get special treatment and the scope of it only gets bigger as they move up into college etc.

I think that's one reason why the draft, even the top of the first round where the physical talent is undoubtedly elite, tends to be such a crap shoot.  You can watch their film and measure their vertical leap, but not their heart or how hard they continue to work once paid.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Unbelievable how you miss the point.

You look ONLY at the receivers. Thing is, trades have two sides. You get something. And you give stuff up. And yet not a single word about the whole reason why massive trades consistently make teams worse.

Yes, you get, on the average, better players further up.

Um, DUH!

Nobody argues you tend to get better players further up.

Your post is precisely what you get from a person like you. You're not a Bills fan, you're a Josh Allen fan.

So it doesn't even occur to you to address the stuff you have to give up, because it just doesn't matter to you. How Josh is directly affected is all that you think about.

Point is, it matters to the team what you have to give up.

Massey-Thaler and all the other studies say the same thing about this. Simply, trading up and giving up major draft assets like extra ones and twos is a horrible idea unless you are trading up for a potential franchise QB. Trades like this produce overall poor results at a high rate. Every study says the same thing. Every single one.

Guys... can someone find Thurm's sponsor... he's clearly losing it

giphy.gif

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I said drafting one of the first 3 WRs. In 2019 Deebo was #3

OK, fair, I misunderstood - but I thought you were arguing for drafting up?  The reason I misunderstood is that it doesn't make sense to me to argue for drafting up, by including a guy we both tag as a success who would be drafted by standing pat or trading BACK.  How and why does that support your argument for trading up?

Interesting perspective, but honest question, do you really think it we keep going back 15-20 years that trend keeps up? We can take the time to do it as long as you acknowledge your flawed premise. Of course I'd do the same.

I don't know...my guess is "not" but I think your top-3 success rate would also decrease.  Ultimately, while I appreciate and applaud the work you put in, honest comment I feel choosing "top 3 WR" (when they're drafted at different pick numbers year to year) is a bit problematic.  People, including myself and organizations like PFF, have tried to look at success rates by criteria like "top 10 picks" or "top half of the first" or "first" - some of it is in other threads on this board right now. 

The point is that while drafting, teams can't predict who the top 3 guys at a position will be, they can only make an educated guess about how early they need to draft to get a particular player.

The bottom line is that the best success for any position is usually in the top half of the 1st round - something like 50%.  Overall, in the first round, it's 30% and usually not much lower in the top 10 picks of the 2nd round.  The second round as a whole stays pretty high, 20-25%.  Third round something like 15-20%, then it plummets.

Let me rummage a bit and I'll put a link to some of the recent stuff people have posted about WR success by draft round here....

I didn't include Ruggs as a hit, so why does the fact that I brought it up make you so upset?

Um, yes, you did include Ruggs as a "hit" when you brought up that the success would be 80% for a trade-up if you just included him - " If Ruggs didn't end up in prison and he continued on his upward trajectory in 2021, that hit rate for a top 3 Wide Receiver in the last 5 drafts goes up to 80%... think about that... 80% hit rate potentially over the last 5 years if you just draft one of the first 3 WRs in the draft???"

My point is that if you include one hypothetical to claim a hypothetical marvelous 80% hit rate, you open a can of worms where other hypotheticals can enter the fray.  And um, I'm not sure where you get the notion I'm upset.

Not following you on the QB comment, but that's a nit.

.....looping back to link some of the recent posts

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254036-how-to-pick-a-top-wr/#comment-9016893

looked at top receivers for the last 3 seasons and where they were drafted.

39% of them from 1st round, equal split between top and bottom half of the 1st round

25% of them from 2nd round
21% from 3rd round

I'm not looking at "how many receivers were drafted where, and what % succeeded? I'm looking at "successful WR, where did they draft?"

Here's one by Rigotz
https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254044-1st-vs-2nd-round-wr-hit-rate/#comment-9017898
He goes back 9 years but omits the 22 and 23 draft as too recent for good data...you'll like his conclusion 

11 out of 28 first round picks ended up being plus starters (39%).

6 out of 33 second round picks ended up being plus starters (18%).
[So he would support you, don't trade back]

Here's one where I was looking at the most successful players in each draft, vs draft order

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254021-interesting-wr-scenario-posed-by-a-friend/page/5/#comment-9016980

Just some different ways of approaching the same problem.  Hope it's of interest.

Edited by Beck Water
add links as I said I would

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

OK, fair, I misunderstood - but I thought you were arguing for drafting up?  The reason I misunderstood is that it doesn't make sense to me to argue for drafting up, by including a guy we both tag as a success who would be drafted by standing pat or trading BACK.  How and why does that support your argument for trading up?

Yeah, his headline was "A visual argument against trading down & for trading up."

And then the post gave absolutely nothing about trading at all, addressing only whether guys drafted higher tend to succeed at higher (though not necessarily high) rates.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Guys... can someone find Thurm's sponsor... he's clearly losing it

giphy.gif

Yup. Two posts in a row from you with zero substance.

Par for the course for you, Transie. The facts are inconvenient for you, so just distract.

6 hours ago, mrags said:

I think getting one of the top 3 around 9-11 is doable with pick 28, next years 1st (we now have 2x2nds next year and one of them will be fairly early) and likely a little more ammo. Throw one of them in maybe, or some other picks this year. 

or

move up to the middle teens for Thomas who Imo should be looked at as part of that top 4 group. 

of that’s not an option, I’d rather get someone like Worthy who may not be overall great but at least he’s got legendary speed to build off of. There’s plenty of options. 

regardless, 5th and 6th rd picks aren’t making this team most likely. And honestly, anyone in rd 6 you could just as easily find in the undrafted market after the draft. There’s always a mad dash the minute the draft is over. I’m willing to bet Beane signs about 10+ guys within the first 24 hours after the draft is complete. They will be JAGs and guys that will be there for the “90” that come to camp. But in the end they won’t make the team and it won’t matter. 

We've only got three picks above the fifth round now, before we start trading up. Some fifths and sixth are very likely to make it. Surely, you're right that not all eleven draftees will, but there's no reason to think we'll only keep three drafted rookies.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wow. Intelligent response. So full of substance. What a surprise, a big nothing from you.

Mmmhmmmm.... remember this Thurm when talking about QBs having an Elite weapon in almost all of the last 5 Super Bowls... both winners and losers????

@Thurman#1"Kupp the year the Rams won. Top ten surely, but not elite. 1161 yards is damn good, 9th in the league among WRs that year, but not elite."

Love the way you ran away from that conversation right after me calling you out on Kupp, Evans and Kelce not being Elite.

giphy.gif

I see that you keep responding to me... maybe I'll read them, but right now... 

giphy.gif

43 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

We've only got three picks above the fifth round now, before we start trading up. Some fifths and sixth are very likely to make it. Surely, you're right that not all eleven draftees will, but there's no reason to think we'll only keep three drafted rookies.

There’s also no reason to think we won’t pick up a dozen undrafted rookies as well as another half dozen or more vets on minimum deals that also might not make the 53. 

my point is that the 90 bodies to camp argument is dumb. They can find anyone off the street to come in and be a camp body. They aren’t going to count against the cap, and they aren’t going to make the final roster anyway. Sure, maybe 3 out of the 40 might make it, but that’s nothing special. 

we need elite talent in this team, not 4 extra 5th rounders that have a shot in camp but never make the final roster anyway. 

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I agree with you completely on the need for elite talent.

Where the debate seems to lie is with what is the best strategy to acquire same?

As I pointed out to @transplantbillsfan above, the "hit rate" from taking one of the top-3 WR in the 1st round, and taking 1 of the top-2 WR in the 2nd round, are practically identical - 8/14 vs 6/10, 57% vs 60%.  And some of those 2nd round players are arguably elite WR talent - AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr.

I concede you have an interesting theory. Lots of early 2nd rounders are productive NFL players.

I just went all the way back to 2010. It really falls back into scrubs. And other than the 4 you mentioned here, while a good number of early 2nd rounders are hits, few to none outside the 4 guys you just mentioned are stars to superstars.

Gotta go top 3 WRs for that.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What a terrible example!

At least use the 2011 Julio Jones trade. That's worse case scenario. Also look at the Mahomes and Jameson Williams trade up.

Good grief at least be a little more realistic with your examples. :doh:

OK Mr GM.  Make it happen.  Beane already said no one on top 10 is calling him, and he hasn’t called.

Ditka traded his whole draft for Ricky- fact.

Falcons gave up their 1st round pick, 2nd, and 4th round pick in 2011, and their 1st and 4th round pick in 2012.  No ***** way do I wish to see the Bills give all that up for a WR.

Good grief lol

• Like (+1) 1

So I just thought I'd add to the debate about the relative strength of this WR class compared to the last five (as per @transplantbillsfan's original comparison). I have my boards to go back to so I know what I thought at the time and not with the benefit of hindsight and here it is:

2019: 

0 first round grades

1 borderline 1st/2nd grade (AJ Brown)

4 second round grades

4 third round grades 

Total day 1 & 2 grades: 9

2020:

3 first round grades (Jeudy, Lamb, Ruggs)

7 second round grades

8 third round grades

Total day 1 & 2 grades: 18

2021:

3 first round grades (Chase, Waddle, Smith)

5 second round grades

4 third round grades 

Total day 1 & 2 grades: 12

2022:

4 first round grades (Olave, Williams, Wilson, Burks)

1 borderline 1st/2nd grade (London)

7 second round grades

5 third round grades

Total day 1 & 2 grades: 17

2023: 

0 first round grades

2 borderline 1st/2nd grades (Addison, JSN)

4 second round grades

7 third round grades

Total day 1 & 2 grades: 13

And for comparison based on my current board....

2024:

4 first round grades (Harrison, Nabers, Odunze, Legette)

1 borderline 1st/2nd grade (Thomas)

5 second round grades 

9 third round grades

Total day 1 & 2 grades: 19

Conclusion: Only 2020 is really comparable to me of the last five classes in terms of both high end talent and depth through the first two days. I also think both classes saw something of a drop off after that. The only two guys who made a significant impact taken after round 3 in 2020 were Gabe Davis (who was a third round grade on my board) and Darnell Mooney (who I hadn't graded). I think it is similar with this class. Sometimes you get a day 3 with lots of interesting toolsy underclassmen who haven't quite put it together or you get really productive guys who are smaller or play for small schools. I don't see much of that in this group. So I think where that leaves you is if any class is going to have a Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman out of round 2 it is this one. But they were the first two picks in round 2. I think that (first 4-5 picks of round 2) is the limit of where the Bills can reasonably expect to be and get a potential difference maker in year 1. If they wait to #60 they could get a guy who contributes this year and maybe even develops further over the next 4 years but their chances at that spot of getting a rookie difference maker.... that feels like you are in total pot luck territory. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

To add yet more context to this.... here is a combined big board by my grading of the WR drafts 2019-2024

=1. Marvin Harrison Jnr (2024)

=1. Ja'Marr Chase (2021)

=3. Jerry Jeudy (2020)

=3. Malik Nabers (2024)

5. CeeDee Lamb (2020)

6. Rome Odunze (2024)

=7. Chris Olave (2022)

=7. Jaylen Waddle (2021)

9. DeVonte Smith (2021)

=10. Henry Ruggs (2020)

=10. Jameson Williams (2022)

Just now, CNYfan said:

I had London well ahead of Burks.  That rating surprises me.  

Yea I was too high on Burks (although I don't think he was at all helped by the team that drafted him and the offense they put him in, he was never a 'conventional' high end receiver he needed to be used creatively and got put into one of the least creative passing offenses in the entire league). I stand my ground 100% on London though. He is a low end #1. Doesn't separate enough to be an elite receiver. 

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

The fact that you tried to make a guy who was an All-Pro twice as a punt returner really says everything here.

If you're going to make an argument, don't reach. 

We need a #1 or #2 WR... not a punt returner.

Focus on that

giphy.gif

If you don’t remember how good Jermaine Lewis was - in an era when returns mattered — that is surprising, but whatever. (Also, kickoff returner too.) We can agree to disagree. The best ten receivers in that draft, in my opinion, were in rough order as follows:

1st: tie - Harrison (first rounder) / TO (3rd rounder)

3rd: Muhammed (second rounder)

4th: tie - Moulds (first rounder / Toomer (second rounder)

6th: tie - Keyshawn (first overall) / Joe Horn (fifth rounder)

8th: Terry Glenn (first rounder)

9th: tie - Bobby Engram (second rounder) / Eddie Kennison (first rounder)

Also, the "says everything here" line (re: a very small element of what I'm saying - that Jermaine Lewis was a good player) along with all the GIF snark isn't a great way to argue. You're too dismissive of other posters and you seem to think snarky cutdowns will somehow punctuate for others the correctness of your own views. It likely doesn't for the people you're engaging with.  

Edited by dave mcbride

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think that's one reason why the draft, even the top of the first round where the physical talent is undoubtedly elite, tends to be such a crap shoot.  You can watch their film and measure their vertical leap, but not their heart or how hard they continue to work once paid.

There was a really interesting conversation on Sirius the other day about how the NIL deals are making kids stay in school longer and causing some issues with transferring and competition however the huge benefit for the NFL is teams now get to see how kids react to getting paid.  It's a huge piece that they also had to wonder about but now they have real actionable information.  Does the player still work as hard, does he still put in the effort on training, or does he rest on his laurels and not try as hard.  It used to be making it to the NFL was when you got life changing money.  Now kids are getting it as Freshman and teams get a few years of data.  They mentioned that it helps teams know who has the drive or plays for the love of the game as opposed to just playing for the paycheck.

8 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't know...my guess is "not" but I think your top-3 success rate would also decrease.  Ultimately, while I appreciate and applaud the work you put in, honest comment I feel choosing "top 3 WR" (when they're drafted at different pick numbers year to year) is a bit problematic.  People, including myself and organizations like PFF, have tried to look at success rates by criteria like "top 10 picks" or "top half of the first" or "first" - some of it is in other threads on this board right now. 

The point is that while drafting, teams can't predict who the top 3 guys at a position will be, they can only make an educated guess about how early they need to draft to get a particular player.

The bottom line is that the best success for any position is usually in the top half of the 1st round - something like 50%.  Overall, in the first round, it's 30% and usually not much lower in the top 10 picks of the 2nd round.  The second round as a whole stays pretty high, 20-25%.  Third round something like 15-20%, then it plummets.

Let me rummage a bit and I'll put a link to some of the recent stuff people have posted about WR success by draft round here....

Um, yes, you did include Ruggs as a "hit" when you brought up that the success would be 80% for a trade-up if you just included him - " If Ruggs didn't end up in prison and he continued on his upward trajectory in 2021, that hit rate for a top 3 Wide Receiver in the last 5 drafts goes up to 80%... think about that... 80% hit rate potentially over the last 5 years if you just draft one of the first 3 WRs in the draft???"

My point is that if you include one hypothetical to claim a hypothetical marvelous 80% hit rate, you open a can of worms where other hypotheticals can enter the fray.  And um, I'm not sure where you get the notion I'm upset.

Not following you on the QB comment, but that's a nit.

.....looping back to link some of the recent posts

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254036-how-to-pick-a-top-wr/#comment-9016893

looked at top receivers for the last 3 seasons and where they were drafted.

39% of them from 1st round, equal split between top and bottom half of the 1st round

25% of them from 2nd round
21% from 3rd round

I'm not looking at "how many receivers were drafted where, and what % succeeded? I'm looking at "successful WR, where did they draft?"

Here's one by Rigotz
https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254044-1st-vs-2nd-round-wr-hit-rate/#comment-9017898
He goes back 9 years but omits the 22 and 23 draft as too recent for good data...you'll like his conclusion 

11 out of 28 first round picks ended up being plus starters (39%).

6 out of 33 second round picks ended up being plus starters (18%).
[So he would support you, don't trade back]

Here's one where I was looking at the most successful players in each draft, vs draft order

https://www.twobillsdrive.com/community/topic/254021-interesting-wr-scenario-posed-by-a-friend/page/5/#comment-9016980

Just some different ways of approaching the same problem.  Hope it's of interest.

I posted earlier in the thread:

Instead of using the whole 2nd round, I used the top 7 wrs in each draft.  I think it is very reasonable that the Bills will get their choice of at least a top 7 wr barring a historical never before seen run on wrs.  The success numbers are actually better than his numbers for trading up. @transplantbillsfan didn't respond to it though I would be interested to hear what he has to say.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So I just thought I'd add to the debate about the relative strength of this WR class compared to the last five (as per @transplantbillsfan's original comparison). I have my boards to go back to so I know what I thought at the time and not with the benefit of hindsight and here it is:

2019: 

0 first round grades

4 second round grades

4 third round grades 

2020:

7 second round grades

8 third round grades

2021:

5 second round grades

4 third round grades 

2022:

7 second round grades

5 third round grades

2023: 

0 first round grades

4 second round grades

7 third round grades

2024:

5 second round grades 

9 third round grades

Conclusion: Only 2020 is really comparable to me of the last five classes in terms of both high end talent and depth through the first two days. I also think both classes saw something of a drop off after that. The only two guys who made a significant impact taken after round 3 in 2020 were Gabe Davis (who was a third round grade on my board) and Darnell Mooney (who I hadn't graded). I think it is similar with this class. Sometimes you get a day 3 with lots of interesting toolsy underclassmen who haven't quite put it together or you get really productive guys who are smaller or play for small schools. I don't see much of that in this group. So I think where that leaves you is if any class is going to have a Tee Higgins and Michael Pittman out of round 2 it is this one. But they were the first two picks in round 2. I think that (first 4-5 picks of round 2) is the limit of where the Bills can reasonably expect to be and get a potential difference maker in year 1. If they wait to #60 they could get a guy who contributes this year and maybe even develops further over the next 4 years but their chances at that spot of getting a rookie difference maker.... that feels like you are in total pot luck territory. 

Would be so happy with legette at 28.  Such a good fit for what we need.  Love how variable his assessment is

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

2019: 

0 first round grades

4 second round grades

4 third round grades 

2020:

7 second round grades

8 third round grades

2021:

5 second round grades

4 third round grades 

2022:

7 second round grades

5 third round grades

2023: 

0 first round grades

4 second round grades

7 third round grades

2024:

5 second round grades 

9 third round grades

I'd simply add that while Deebo Samuel and AJ Brown were second round picks, they cannot be viewed in isolation or only in relation to other receivers. Both SF and TN had first round picks too, and they chose, respectively, Nick Bosa and Jeffrey Simmons. Those were hardly bad decisions. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd simply add that while Deebo Samuel and AJ Brown were second round picks, they cannot be viewed in isolation or only in relation to other receivers. Both SF and TN had first round picks too, and they chose, respectively, Nick Bosa and Jeffrey Simmons. Those were hardly bad decisions. 

Yep. Elite players in their own right. 

• Agree 1

this does demonstrate that there are more potential winners in Rd. 1 than later rounds.  We wait till Rd. 2 or 3, we better take 3 WRs to hit on 1.  

We really need to grab a top 3-4 in Rd. 1, and then try again in Rd. 2.  The later parts of the draft appears filled with 1T DT, rotation Edge, backup OG/C, and S.  

18 hours ago, Tortured Soul said:

Using your hits and misses, a 52% success rate in Round 1 (11 of 21) vs. a 27% success rate in Rounds 2 and 3 (14 of 52).

So, you’d be better off trading down, getting a 2 and a 3 for a 1, and giving yourself a cumulative 54% chance at success.

There was a really interesting article in the athletic on the subject of trading down the other day.

https://theathletic.com/5416007/2024/04/16/nfl-drafting-methods-insight-massey-thaler/

The paper, “Overconfidence vs. Market Efficiency in the National Football League,” had been published six years earlier by the National Bureau of Economic Research. Meers hadn’t read it, hadn’t even heard of it, but it was draft-related and he’d long been draft-interested.

Meers wasn’t your typical draftnik. Spouting opinions on prospects did not captivate him. The allure lay in the idea that you could trade picks. Should you? Why or why not? And how do you assign value to each pick?

Cowboys executives were exploring similar questions internally, and that’s how they found the paper Meers was now dissecting on their behalf.

First, he wondered, who wrote this?

Richard Thaler, an economics professor at the University of Chicago who would win a Nobel Prize in 2017, and Cade Massey, a business professor then at Duke University.

Their hypothesis?

Teams overestimate their abilities to delineate between stars and flops, and because of that they overvalue the “right to choose” in the draft.

And what were the findings after examining every draft pick and trade from 1988 to 2004?

Teams massively overestimate their abilities to delineate between stars and flops, and because of that they heavily overvalue the “right to choose” in the draft.

Meers combed through the paper and uncovered some highlights:

- The treasured No. 1 pick in the draft is actually the least valuable in the first round, according to the surplus value a team can create with each pick.

- Across all rounds, the probability that a player starts more games than the next player chosen at his position is just 53 percent.

- Teams generated a 174 percent return on trades by forgoing a pick this year for picks next year.

Thaler and Massey suggested that teams should accumulate picks by trading back and into the future more often. The more darts you have, the better your chance of eventually hitting the bull’s-eye.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

And not a single one of those was a Buffalo pick.  Thats 5 years in the top 3 rounds. The wr position has been so grossly undervalued by Mcbeane it should be malpractice 

Which further solidifies the thought they may move down and pick up a pick . That’s not Beanes style though

13 hours ago, mrags said:

From the videos I’ve seen, I like the athletic upside of Brian Thomas Jr. more than MHJ.  But like you said, lots of variables will play into each guy’s NFL success.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

Posted (edited)

Another point... while I mention "hits..." all that really means is that you have a pretty decent starter.

We're hoping for more than a decent starter, though.  We want a WR who can be a pro-bowler if not an All-Pro, right?

I've been thinking a bit about this since I started the thread, because I think the reality is we all want a DUDE at WR, not a JAG.  So I googled it to see if there was any data out there.  Found this on a reddit board and it looks like someone else actually did the work.  I cross-checked it and looks accurate. If you go back several years to give WRs over the span of 2000-2017 (18 years total), here are Pro Bowl %s for those years slotted by draft pick in the top 100:

Pick/ Pro-Bowl%

1-10/ 55%

11-20/ 44%

21-30/ 33%

31-40/ 24%

41-50/ 18%

51-60/ 16%

61-70/ 16%

71-80/ 9%

81-90/ 10%

91-100/ 12%

Plus, The Athletic examined it over a span of 10 years a couple years ago by round and position

https://theathletic.com/3242308/2022/04/13/nfl-draft-analysis-2022/

Wide Receivers only

1st round 42.4%

2nd-3rd round 36.4%

4+ round 21.2%

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

More, looking at the lists of top three guys in the draft you put up, one question occurs.

How many Super Bowl winners are there?

Again, a team that gives up top-level draft assets to trade up for  a top WR has never won a Super Bowl.

Never.

Correlative, not causal.

Are you really trying to argue that the Bengals are not winning a Super Bowl because they drafted Jamarr Chase? Has it been CeDee Lamb holding back the Cowboys over the last few years?  That the Falcons didn't win the Super Bowl because they drafted Julio Jones?  That Drake London is holding the Falcons back right now or Garrett Wilson is doing the same for the Jets?

It's the QB, first and foremost, who's obviously the most critical piece to any team winning the Super Bowl.

Buffalo has their QB for the next 5-10+ years.

When did Josh Allen turn into an Elite QB?  Obviously (and Josh directly said this yesterday) it happened once he got an Elite WR in Diggs.

What do we no longer have???

You alluded to me not being a Bills fan and just being a Josh Allen fan... that's pretty rich coming from the guy who really doesn't do anything on this message board other than drop grenades and plant landmines all over the place.

I'm absolutely not without my flaws, but you painted me so horribly wrong.  If anything, I'm a Bills homer with Bills colored glasses.  I know how that's how some see me and I'm fine with it.  Your assessment just proves you're not very observant... or maybe you just let your anger cloud your judgment too much.

12 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Beane knows all of this already.  He has what...20 1st round grades on players.

While it's pretty much a given that Beane is going to know all this and more....it doesn't follow that because he has 20 1st round grades, he needs to trade up, right?

You can bet on it that different teams have different players with 1st round grades.  So the chances are very high that all through the 1st round, a player the Bills have a 1st round grade on will be available.  Now that said....I don't believe that any GM is truly a "best player available" guy with no concern for the valuation of different positions AND the specific holes on his team.

16 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

More, looking at the lists of top three guys in the draft you put up, one question occurs.

How many Super Bowl winners are there?

Again, a team that gives up top-level draft assets to trade up for  a top WR has never won a Super Bowl.

Never.

ridiculous take

the Bills gave up top level draft assets to trade up for Josh Allen who has never won a super bowl

i suppose you'd call that a mistake

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Another point... while I mention "hits..." all that really means is that you have a pretty decent starter.

We're hoping for more than a decent starter, though.  We want a WR who can be a pro-bowler if not an All-Pro, right?

I've been thinking a bit about this since I started the thread, because I think the reality is we all want a DUDE at WR, not a JAG.  So I googled it to see if there was any data out there.  Found this on a reddit board and it looks like someone else actually did the work.  I cross-checked it and looks accurate. If you go back several years to give WRs over the span of 2000-2017 (18 years total), here are Pro Bowl %s for those years slotted by draft pick in the top 100:

Pick/ Pro-Bowl%

1-10/ 55%

11-20/ 44%

21-30/ 33%

31-40/ 24%

41-50/ 18%

51-60/ 16%

61-70/ 16%

71-80/ 9%

81-90/ 10%

91-100/ 12%

Plus, The Athletic examined it over a span of 10 years a couple years ago by round and position

https://theathletic.com/3242308/2022/04/13/nfl-draft-analysis-2022/

Wide Receivers only

1st round 42.4%

2nd-3rd round 36.4%

4+ round 21.2%

Really good finds, Thanks.

I'm not sure I 100% buy pro-bowls as a great metric now-a-days when it seems to have become some kind of popularity contest.

What it comes down to is opportunity cost, and I'm not invested enough to fully lay this out as a mathematical problem but here are the trade offs:

On the one hand: You improve your chances of landing "The Man"  from 33/100 to 55/100 moving up from pick 28 to pick 10 so 22%.

Against that you set that Pick 10 ~1300 and Pick 28 ~660 so you need to essentially provide the equivalent of 640 points.  Since next year's picks devalue about a round, that might be next year's 1st PLUS this year's 2nd (300).  That represents 2 talented players (1 next year, 1 this) who can help fill other team needs on a cost-controlled basis.

Meanwhile, even in the top-10 picks, there's still a 45/100 chance you won't pick The Man, but now you've not fizzed there, but you've lost your chance to reload and fire again.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

ridiculous take

the Bills gave up top level draft assets to trade up for Josh Allen who has never won a super bowl

i suppose you'd call that a mistake

I hesitate to speak for @Thurman#1, but it was my understanding of his intended point that "Franchise QB" is a position worth risking the opportunity cost for as without a franchise QB, it's tough sledding to get to the playoffs much less championship....

....but that trading the farm for a hoped-for #1 WR is not the same impact to offset the opportunity cost.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, @Thurman#1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Really good finds, Thanks.

I'm not sure I 100% buy pro-bowls as a great metric now-a-days when it seems to have become some kind of popularity contest.

What it comes down to is opportunity cost, and I'm not invested enough to fully lay this out as a mathematical problem but here are the trade offs:

On the one hand: You improve your chances of landing "The Man"  from 33/100 to 55/100 moving up from pick 28 to pick 10 so 22%.

Against that you set that Pick 10 ~1300 and Pick 28 ~660 so you need to essentially provide the equivalent of 640 points.  Since next year's picks devalue about a round, that might be next year's 1st PLUS this year's 2nd (300).  That represents 2 talented players (1 next year, 1 this) who can help fill other team needs on a cost-controlled basis.

Meanwhile, even in the top-10 picks, there's still a 45/100 chance you won't pick The Man, but now you've not fizzed there, but you've lost your chance to reload and fire again.

I hesitate to speak for @Thurman#1, but it was my understanding of his intended point that "Franchise QB" is a position worth risking the opportunity cost for as without a franchise QB, it's tough sledding to get to the playoffs much less championship....

....but that trading the farm for a hoped-for #1 WR is not the same impact to offset the opportunity cost.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, @Thurman#1

ok do you think the Falcons regret trading for Julio Jones lol

of course not, they got one of the best wideouts in NFL history. The fact that he didn't win a Super Bowl is completely irrelevant. Lots of great players never win Super Bowls and lots of mediocre ones do. That doesn't mean you want fewer great players and more mediocre ones on your roster

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

ok do you think the Falcons regret trading for Julio Jones lol

of course not, they got one of the best wideouts in NFL history. The fact that he didn't win a Super Bowl is completely irrelevant. Lots of great players never win Super Bowls and lots of mediocre ones do. That doesn't mean you want fewer great players and more mediocre ones on your roster

I guarantee the argument will be that the Falcons didn't win a Super Bowl.

I agree it's a completely ridiculous argument.

And this resource argument some are making also neglects the potential in a cost-controlled CHEAP #1 WR (the 2nd most expensive position) for at least 4 years.  That $$$ savings should be part of the resource argument as well.  Remember... Buffalo is going to suddenly get a lot more CAP space in future years and Free Agency is another aspect of team building.

Plus... 10 draft picks this year + 9 draft picks next year after our comp picks.

Worse case scenario is the 2011 trade model for Julio Jones.  Falcons traded their 2011 1st, 2nd, 4th & 2012 1st & 4th.

This would still leave us with 7 total picks in this year's draft and next year's draft.  Plus, next year's draft we'd still have 2 2nd rounders... one of which very well might be in the early to late 30s.

That one is I think the steepest price, though.

I think the Lions trade up for Jameson Williams and the Chiefs trade up for Mahomes are other models to look at that might be even better.

I think it's pretty important that they get as many top 100 picks as possible. We aren't 1 player away, so if a trade down helps us turn some of our later picks into more top 100s and Beane can still get star players, I'm all for it.

That said, our last build was too light on top end talent. When I look at KC, SF, PHI, BAL, CIN, and even DET they all have way more more top end talent than we did before our purge. As of right now, I feel like we only have 2 legitimate superstars on the team in Allen and Milano. I'd be shocked if we could make a real SB run without at least 4 more. Maybe Kincaid becomes one, Maybe Douglas becomes one.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/18/2024 at 5:36 PM, Alphadawg7 said:

This lacks a lot of context.  Not every draft is equal, some drafts are top heavy and weak outside the top guys like 2021 for example.  Then others were considered weak for top tier prospects, but very deep for 2nd tier prospects outside round 1 like 2019.  

The hit rates and miss rates very much follow the patterns of the draft strength/weakness at the position.  So this doesn't IMHO dictate a model to follow and really shows you need to understand the strength and weakness of the position in each given draft to know what you need to do if you want to address WR.  

In a year like 2022 or 2021 where the draft going in was seen as a top heavy WR draft and weak after that, you better making a move to go get a guy.  But in a year like 2019, where there wasn't a lot of highly graded guys but a lot of strength in the depth, you are better letting it come to you or even trading back instead of reaching for a N'Keal Harry.  

This is a very deep draft, there are going to be a lot of guys who become good players outside the first round this draft.

The other thing to compare is how does this compare with other positions? Is the hit/miss rate on edge rushers or CB's around the same.  If I were to bet on it, I'd say they are.

Just reading an article today quoting Beane as saying there are only around 25 players the Bills have first round grades on.  But 32 teams will be drafting in the 1st round, so if Beane grades reflect how other teams also see it, there will be some misses there.

23 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

And not a single one of those was a Buffalo pick.  Thats 5 years in the top 3 rounds. The wr position has been so grossly undervalued by Mcbeane it should be malpractice 

He used a 1st round pick to get our WR1 who was arguably the most productive receiver in the league during his tenure with the Bills. We had more pressing needs after that. You'll get your WR in at least one of the first three rounds this year.

20 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Buffalo at this moment only has 2 true NEEDS on the team. A WR and RB for the roster.

The rest of the things you had there arenwants... McBeane may disagree.

Well, I suspect Beane does disagree, though he won't do so publicly.

I know I do.  I would personally say we have needs at DT, DE, and S at minimum; some might add CB.  Yes, I know we have two safeties on the team, but  based on performance on the field I am not comfortable with Taylor Rapp and Mike Edwards starting at safety, and I think both our backups are career backups at this point.  We need to draft a guy with upside we can develop.

If that's not a need because we can pencil in names, then hey - we can pencil in names that have played many games at WR, too, so I guess that's not a need.

Quality matters.

Similar with DT and DE.  Da'Quan is on a 1 yr deal and hasn't made it through the last 2 seasons.  Draft a DT if there's a decent one anywhere near us.  DE: Casey Toohill is a career journeyman at DE who has finally, after 7 years in the league, made it to where he started 8 games last year.  Right now at DE we got Rousseau, Epenesa, the Ghost of Von Miller, and Toohill.  *shudder* I'd say that 's a need.

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

(....)

I got to say that's an impressive body of work, @GunnerBill.  Just kudos for putting in that effort, year after year.

As far as your comment I bolded above, I think Beane said something pretty similar in his presser - I can't find it on a fast run through, but it was something to the effect of the quality probably continues into the initial part of round 2 then tails off after that.

Edited by Beck Water