NFL draft rumors 2024

56 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

Is there a reason why we wouldn’t want MHJ? The guy will be as good as dad with JA17 throwing to him. It seems like most of you want a bunch of picks that aren’t likely to turn into anything when you could have this guy 

From a talent and the possibility that he will be a star perspective, I don't think anyone is saying no we just don't want him. Would be a fantastic player if we could have the chance to get him. 

But first off, it takes trade assets to get there. Bare minimum you're looking at having to get to the #4 pick if you want him. Now we're talking this year's 1st. This years second. Likely a few more picks from this year. Next year's 1st and second and likely more picks thrown in. 

That's putting a LOT of eggs in one basket. That also has a ripple effect. Now we don't have those picks which equate to several young players at low value contracts with high upside. And you NEED that when building a roster and paying a franchise QB. To get MHJ, you would either have to overpay or severely downgrade at several spots. 

Oh, and you have to have a trade partner. Teams aren't always willing to move 24 spots back in the draft when they can normally move back (even they even want to) a smaller amount and stockpile picks easily as well while remaining in a spot to take another blue chip player. 

And guess what? Even if all that lined up, the Bills moved up to 4 and got MHJ...there is no guarantee he's going to be what people think he's going to be. 

You know, it's really funny to me that when people yell about MHJ, they can't help the narrative about his "bloodlines". I fall guilty of that as well. It indicates absolutely nothing. Many people don't even realize that Jerry Rice's son is in the draft as well....he's projected as a 4th rounder. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

From a talent and the possibility that he will be a star perspective, I don't think anyone is saying no we just don't want him. Would be a fantastic player if we could have the chance to get him. 

But first off, it takes trade assets to get there. Bare minimum you're looking at having to get to the #4 pick if you want him. Now we're talking this year's 1st. This years second. Likely a few more picks from this year. Next year's 1st and second and likely more picks thrown in. 

That's putting a LOT of eggs in one basket. That also has a ripple effect. Now we don't have those picks which equate to several young players at low value contracts with high upside. And you NEED that when building a roster and paying a franchise QB. To get MHJ, you would either have to overpay or severely downgrade at several spots. 

Oh, and you have to have a trade partner. Teams aren't always willing to move 24 spots back in the draft when they can normally move back (even they even want to) a smaller amount and stockpile picks easily as well while remaining in a spot to take another blue chip player. 

And guess what? Even if all that lined up, the Bills moved up to 4 and got MHJ...there is no guarantee he's going to be what people think he's going to be. 

You know, it's really funny to me that when people yell about MHJ, they can't help the narrative about his "bloodlines". I fall guilty of that as well. It indicates absolutely nothing. Many people don't even realize that Jerry Rice's son is in the draft as well....he's projected as a 4th rounder. 

I think I believe you on this, but every time I look at your avatar a little voice in my head says "this is not the way."

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

I think I believe you on this, but every time I look at your avatar a little voice in my head says "this is not the way."

Dick Jauron is always my example for just how little the post season awards mean. Former Coach of the Year winner. Along with Wayne Fontes. Both have a CoY award. Mike Tomlin does not. Sean McDermott does not. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I guess punting well has its merits after all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2024 at 7:03 AM, Bills!Win! said:

Is there a reason why we wouldn’t want MHJ? The guy will be as good as dad with JA17 throwing to him. It seems like most of you want a bunch of picks that aren’t likely to turn into anything when you could have this guy 

After watching interviews with MHJ and how he is focused on football, his work ethic, humble attitude and a self described homebody….+ his dad being there to guide him…

I’d be willing to push the chips in for him.

there is an extremely high probability he is a Top 5 WR in a hurry with Josh Allen.

Plus he referenced Josh as one of the 4 QB’s he’d love to play with…the other 3 QB’s were Hebert, Stroud, Lawrence if I recall

I don’t know if AZ / LAC will pass on taking him.  

I expect the cost is:

28, 60, 2025 1st, 2nd + another pick

It’s also possible moving back that much is a non-starter for those teams and we’d need to move into the teens first in order to accomplish the trade

(example: Beane traded Cordy Glenn to move into the teens before draft, then moved up more for Josh)

Spencer Brown could have enough value to a team like the Raiders at 13 if we include a 4th to make that deal

Edited by Warriorspikes51

23 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Spencer Brown could have enough value to a team like the Raiders at 13 if we include a 4th to make that deal

Even with our first 4th rounder that values Spencer at a high second round pick. No way he is that valuable. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Even with our first 4th rounder that values Spencer at a high second round pick. No way he is that valuable. 

The idea I considered is using Brown to trade up with Pittsburgh at #20, also swapping their #98 for our #128 as part of the deal. This would put Brown's value equal to pick #65 which sounds pretty fair to me. Maybe we throw in one of our 5ths to sweeten the deal. Pittsburgh would have both of their tackle positions figured out and they'd still have the same number of picks so it would make sense for both sides I think.

From #20 getting to #6 wouldn't be as costly. Our 1st next year plus #98 this year might get it done (this is basically what the Chiefs gave us to move up for Mahomes). Ultimately we would basically give up Brown plus two 1sts to end up with an elite WR prospect. I would take that deal now if I could. I like Brown but RT is a much easier hole to fill than WR1.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/13/2024 at 1:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

And in fairness he didn't totally suck at it. Although think the usage was influenced by Knox missing time. It is a decision for them this year though. Because I think Josh looks better with us in pure 11. I would expect other than in the redzone where Knox is very good they dial the 12 back somewhat this year.

So he was supposed to be bad at blocking but managed to trend closer to average in his rookie season....is it really that ridiculous to think he might continue to improve in that area?

I will be so happy when the draft is over so everyone can stop the 3 month speculation on who we will pick and the board can move on to the important business of  everyone speculating on how those draft picks will do in 5 months 🤣

7.jpg.446f73826359309f48b1421c9f4dbf89.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

So he was supposed to be bad at blocking but managed to trend closer to average in his rookie season....is it really that ridiculous to think he might continue to improve in that area?

No although I doubt it ever becomes a true strength. I think you will see them more willing to use Kincaid as the single tight end in 11 personnel in 2024. But there will still be packages where they want / need Knox on the field.

9 hours ago, steven50 said:

I will be so happy when the draft is over so everyone can stop the 3 month speculation on who we will pick and the board can move on to the important business of  everyone speculating on how those draft picks will do in 5 months 🤣

7.jpg.446f73826359309f48b1421c9f4dbf89.jpg

You can be so happy right now.  Resist your urge to click on the thread titled NFL Draft Rumors 2024 and other draft related threads. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

After watching interviews with MHJ and how he is focused on football, his work ethic, humble attitude and a self described homebody….+ his dad being there to guide him…

I’d be willing to push the chips in for him.

there is an extremely high probability he is a Top 5 WR in a hurry with Josh Allen.

Plus he referenced Josh as one of the 4 QB’s he’d love to play with…the other 3 QB’s were Hebert, Stroud, Lawrence if I recall

I don’t know if AZ / LAC will pass on taking him.  

I expect the cost is:

28, 60, 2025 1st, 2nd + another pick

It’s also possible moving back that much is a non-starter for those teams and we’d need to move into the teens first in order to accomplish the trade

(example: Beane traded Cordy Glenn to move into the teens before draft, then moved up more for Josh)

Video evidence of MHJ having learned from his father:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Ugh. He has WR2 all over him. Not super impressed at his route running and his blocking is mediocre. I like his quickness and seems to have good hands but not in contested catch situations. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I liked him a lot before the combine. If he was sick that explains it.  He has a unique long stride and seems to pull away from everyone in highlights.

Get BTJ / Legette to go with him and we're good 

Considering Joe Brady tried recruiting him to LSU, and the multiple meetings with him, this isn't a surprise 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Ugh. He has WR2 all over him. Not super impressed at his route running and his blocking is mediocre. I like his quickness and seems to have good hands but not in contested catch situations. 

I like his route running. It's not elite but good enough for someone with his speed. The concern on him is hands and frame.

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

WR4 in this class. People sleeping on him because of his combine. Just turned 21, improved every year in college and still has room to get better and bigger. I would be so pumped if this turns out true

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I like his route running. It's not elite but good enough for someone with his speed. The concern on him is hands and frame.

His route running is sloppy. It can be coached up though. Hands, frame and contested catch ability are the concerns. I am not sure he gives you much in the redzone. If they traded back a bit and took Franklin like in the latest TSW mock (maybe not as far as #41) I'd be happier than taking him at #28.

I do think ultimately he is a #2 receiver type.

Edited by GunnerBill

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm cool with it, but I'm going to just keep screaming this into the void: Double up on WR. 

The hit rate is not high, hedge your bets and take 2 high WR prospects if you're not moving up for one of the "sure things".  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:18 PM, HappyDays said:

Seems like a convergence of interest there, if the Bills can get back a 3rd there should be a sweet spot to land a safety. I love the idea of a trade-back to the top of the 2nd to get an early 3rd, leveraging the value of the 5th year option on their 1st if they have several guys they'd be comfortable with for WR at that slot.

It dawned on me doing mocks that the Bills 2nd (60OA) should still be a premium position addressed - WR, OT, CB, Edge. I keep having Travares Tillman flashbacks reaching for a safety. A guy who keeping dropping into that 60 range is Kingsley Suamataia for the reason that he's so young and raw that he may not be ready to start this year, but has a perfect opportunity to redshirt with the Bills behind Dawkins and Brown, and with Brown's contract coming up it's sensible to get a developmental guy this year. His athletic traits are as good as anyone, but the teams taking OT are taking them to start Day 1.

It's suboptimal to spend that R2 on a guy who isn't playing this year, but the ceiling is sky-high and the position is as critical as anything non-QB. Getting a R3 in a trade-back makes that possible.

Edited by Ralonzo
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

While I think BTJ is likely a safer choice, if I am waiting to 28, I think Franklin is my guy.

"But he's an X receiver"

Yes, at least to start. He's slender and has some knocks. But the team's most consistent success came last year when they spread the ball around instead of force feeding Diggs. Between Kincaid, Shakir, Samuel and Cook the team already the players who can make tough contested catches over the middle, or dominate in the slot, or be a backfield run/pass option threat and can win a lot of one on one matchups that way. But if defenses compress coverage and the Bills have no reliable way to stretch the field, we get what we saw whenever Gabe wasn't clicking.

If it's Franklin at 28, I'm happy. If it's Franklin at somwhere in the 30s I'll be over the moon.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Im concerned that his frame is thin and it means he has to dig deeper when he changes directions. I’m concerned about the handier cornerbacks like Sauce Gardner shutting him down easily. 

On 4/13/2024 at 8:15 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Rice Jr's scouting report sounds a bit like Gabe Davis. I'd take that on one of the Bills' 4th rounders. I don't think we want the Bills to use 28 AND 60 on the one position and I hope Beane learned that lesson, but right around there should be the range where a Rice or Javon Baker get tapped... maybe even Tez or Burton?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

If they traded back a bit and took Franklin like in the latest TSW mock (maybe not as far as #41) I'd be happier than taking him at #28.

Any WR we're talking about at #28 I would feel better taking after a trade down (I know you like Legette enough to just take him at #28). But at the same time I think we just have to be willing to accept maybe not getting a 100% perfect value at #28. Let's say no teams wants to trade up with us. If it comes down to slightly reaching for a WR or taking another position entirely I will still take the WR and in my mind it's not even a contest.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Any WR we're talking about at #28 I would feel better taking after a trade down (I know you like Legette enough to just take him at #28). But at the same time I think we just have to be willing to accept maybe not getting a 100% perfect value at #28. Let's say no teams wants to trade up with us. If it comes down to slightly reaching for a WR or taking another position entirely I will still take the WR and in my mind it's not even a contest.

I like Legette too, but I've done dozens of mock drafts and he's always available at 35-40.

A first round receiver to me NEEDS to be a WR1. I don’t want a Skyy Moore or a Laquon Treadwell. That’s why I’m low on Troy Franklin, I simply don’t see him as an elite WR1 prospect. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

A first round receiver to me NEEDS to be a WR1. I don’t want a Skyy Moore or a Laquon Treadwell. That’s why I’m low on Troy Franklin, I simply don’t see him as an elite WR1 prospect. 

What about him makes you think he can’t be a WR1, or at least a lesser chance than the other receivers that may be available when we are there at 28?

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree with the premise but have you seen the run of WR needy teams at the top of round 2? I think there are 5 of them between 33-38 so trading back behind those teams seems very sub optimal to me. 

24 minutes ago, LEBills said:

What about him makes you think he can’t be a WR1, or at least a lesser chance than the other receivers that may be available when we are there at 28?

I don’t see it with the physical tools TBH. 

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

To me it depends how far I'm reaching. I want them to draft a WR at #28, I wanted them to go receiver in round 1 the last two years. I think Mitchell and Worthy are slight reaches by my board, but I'd do it. Franklin feels like just too much of a reach to me. Especially if I'm leaving top end prospects on the board at OT, CB or Edge. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/11/2024 at 3:24 PM, jahnyc said:

I don't think Collins can be counted on to play full-time or to be an adequate replacement for Brown for a full season.

I don't think L'ol Collins can be counted on to make the roster.

• Agree 1

On 4/11/2024 at 1:06 PM, SoonerBillsFan said:

I am betting we trade 28 to Carllina for 33 and a 3rd.  1st pick of the 2nd round which gives us tons of ammo.

I'm thinking trading back for Washington's Pick #40 and #78 or Washington's Pick #36 and #100.

I think Washington would want to get back into the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm thinking trading back for Washington's Pick #40 and #78 or Washington's Pick #36 and #100.

I think Washington would want to get back into the 1st round.

I can see that.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Adam says it so confidently.

Cosell said this a couple weeks ago.

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

IF this has truly been leaked from inside the building, then Beane wanted it to be.

• Like (+1) 1