Interesting and detailed Bills Draft visits chart

DJB

Just now, LEBills said:

Don’t forget about good ole Dane Ja…I mean MJ Devonshire

Is the goal of this team to collect mediocre db's from Pitt because if so they are doing a great job. Do they have a scout there who is someone's son and they always just take his word for it?

1 minute ago, mathja said:

Tez Walker and Devontez Walker are the same person, but apparently one has spoken with the bills more than the other.

until this gets fixed, for me it’s invalid.

He is Tez on the field but Devontez on Sundays when he's crocheting with his grandma after church 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Is the goal of this team to collect mediocre db's from Pitt because if so they are doing a great job. Do they have a scout there who is someone's son and they always just take his word for it?

The Pitt defense and Bills defense have a lot of similarities in the secondary scheme, so it’s an easier projection. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

I have no idea where hes projected to go... but all things considered dane was a good soldier here and a ton of value for a 7th round pick.  Started 28 games, another 5 in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

• DJB changed the title to Interesting and detailed Bills Draft visits chart
13 minutes ago, mathja said:

Tez Walker and Devontez Walker are the same person, but apparently one has spoken with the bills more than the other.

lmao. I thought the same thing

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I'd love Franklin here...

Terrible combine unless you believe that he was sick. Reminds me of the bad singers on American Idol that say their throat hurts. Also seems to go down really easily. I don't think he's worth 28. He'd be good value at 60 but unlikely to be there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Terrible combine unless you believe that he was sick. Reminds me of the bad singers on American Idol that say their throat hurts. Also seems to go down really easily. I don't think he's worth 28. He'd be good value at 60 but unlikely to be there.

Anyone putting more stock in the combine versus what they watched on tape in actual games should not be drafting players.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, DJB said:

I tried copying it but couldn’t paste it. Here’s another way 

Thanks!  

Among other things, it gives a larger, more easily readable chart!

Do you know what the key means as to "visit type" (PRI, COM, PRO, WOR, OTHER)

I'm guessing that PRI means private workout, COM means combine, PRO means ? pro day at their school? WOR no idea if PRI means private workout, OTHER also no idea.

36 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

blah

Say more?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/troy-franklin/32004652-4154-5210-6c05-a56029ed000f

" a productive vertical target for a team looking for instant help in the passing game." struck me

I will say this.  The most interesting thing I got from that chart was to look at previous years, and then look at who the Bills actually drafted in those years.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, DJB said:

Found this so I posted it on X. 

That’s one hell of a find. Visits and other meetings for every team over years. I’m sure it’s incomplete, but it’s the best source I’ve seen and he allows his file to be downloaded. Kudos!

42 minutes ago, mathja said:

Speaking as someone who does stuff like that, you're talking about he used a nickname to code one visit differently.  It's an error, but sensibly speaking it doesn't invalidate the whole data set.  Just add the two together in your minds.

10 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s one hell of a find. Visits and other meetings for every team over years. I’m sure it’s incomplete, but it’s the best source I’ve seen and he allows his file to be downloaded. Kudos!

Agreed and Thanks! to the OP.  

Again, one of the most interesting things I found was to look at what players they were documented to show the most interest in previous years, vs. who they drafted.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Considering he did a private workout for the Bills I wouldn't be too worried about his combine numbers if the Bills drafted him. 

I wouldn't be happy with him at 28 either though. I've said this a few times, but I like the idea of taking best receiver available at 28 (AD Mitchell or BJT if we're lucky, etc...) and then moving up a little in the second and getting McConkey / Franklin / Polk. 

Just now, Bruffalo said:

Considering he did a private workout for the Bills I wouldn't be too worried about his combine numbers if the Bills drafted him. 

I wouldn't be happy with him at 28 either though. I've said this a few times, but I like the idea of taking best receiver available at 28 (AD Mitchell or BJT if we're lucky, etc...) and then moving up a little in the second and getting McConkey / Franklin / Polk. 

Trade back with any of the QB needy teams at the top of round 2 so they can draft Penix and then pick at 34-36 and then trade up again to around 38-40 and double dip at WR. You can likely have any 2 of Worthy, Franklin, Leggette, McConkey, etc

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

Trade back with any of the QB needy teams at the top of round 2 so they can draft Penix and then pick at 34-36 and then trade up again to around 38-40 and double dip at WR. You can likely have any 2 of Worthy, Franklin, Leggette, McConkey, etc

That's the play if you don't have any first round graded WRs left on your board, sure, otherwise I think you have to go with that 1st round graded WR given the Bills situation. 

Unless the Bills are trading up in the first round...Troy Franklin would be a great get. As I've stated here before, I think he's underrated, and very possibly the 4th or 5th best receiver in this draft. 

That said...I sometimes think more gets made of the "draft visits" stuff than is reasonable. Oftentimes there are just lingering medical or character questions, or they didn't get as much work done on them as they would have liked due to any number of reasons (scout availability, scheduling, etc).

Put another way, it's possible the Bills put a ton of work into a player during the college season, have a lot of information on him, and don't need as many visits and as much "draft season" research. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, DJB said:

Found this so I posted it on X. 

This doesn’t feel accurate.  For example, there is no Ladd McConkey who has publicly stated he’s met with the Bills now multiple times, at least 3 which would put him ahead of several players on this list.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

You know who else was skinny and went down easily? Diggs. 

Just sayin'. I'm not super high on Franklin, but we literally just need bodies that can run and catch, at this point. If we can get him with either a trade down in the 1st or a small trade up in the 2nd, I would be down with it. 

Also of note: I've heard that Brady courted Franklin to try and get him to LSU, while Brady was there. He's got some intel on Franklin, and if Brady likes him, there's got to be good reason for it. Just food for thought.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I'd love Franklin here...

Agreed. Folks on the board fell off Franklin but I think he's definitely in play and would be a good addition. Would rather see him in Buffalo than going to KC at 32. Lot of similarity to AB on the field (hopefully not off).

3 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

Just sayin'. I'm not super high on Franklin, but we literally just need bodies that can run and catch, at this point. If we can get him with either a trade down in the 1st or a small trade up in the 2nd, I would be down with it. 

Also of note: I've heard that Brady courted Franklin to try and get him to LSU, while Brady was there. He's got some intel on Franklin, and if Brady likes him, there's got to be good reason for it. Just food for thought.

Maybe but I don't see a lot of people high on him so I think he's more of a day 2 guy so to get him at 28 would not be good value imo

• Agree 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

Maybe but I don't see a lot of people high on him so I think he's more of a day 2 guy so to get him at 28 would not be good value imo

@KDIGGZ Ha ha! That's exactly what I was saying: If we can get him with a trade down into the 2nd, or a slight trade up from 60, I'm in. Right there with ya, buddy!

Agreed that he's not the value I want at 28. 

Edited by ROCBillsBeliever
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

That tie between Brady and Franklin makes sense. It's already pretty obvious that he told Beane to get him Samuel. I just think that its a risk to draft for an OC who might not be here in a year.

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He was a consensus first-rounder until he tested poorly at the combine. But he had the flu or something. That might work in the Bills favor.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Low Positive said:

That tie between Brady and Franklin makes sense. It's already pretty obvious that he told Beane to get him Samuel. I just think that its a risk to draft for an OC who might not be here in a year.

Yeah, definitely true on the Samuel signing, and good point on Brady's potential tenure. I mean, none of us know how long these guys will last. Heck, if you told me we would move on from Morse--or to a lesser extent Diggs, due to the dead money--I'd have scoffed at it, but here we are. 

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Speculation is BTJ will be going in the teens and the Bills will need to move up to get him.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Speculation is BTJ will be going in the teens and the Bills will need to move up to get him.

I'm not interested in that at all. If they trade up it should be for one of the top 3. BTJ is a 1 year wonder who runs the Gabe Davis route tree. People are hoping he can eventually be a Gabe Davis or Tee Higgins but you shouldn't be trading up for a #2 guy imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Speaking as someone who does stuff like that, you're talking about he used a nickname to code one visit differently.  It's an error, but sensibly speaking it doesn't invalidate the whole data set.  Just add the two together in your minds.

Agreed and Thanks! to the OP.  

Again, one of the most interesting things I found was to look at what players they were documented to show the most interest in previous years, vs. who they drafted.

Good catch.  The Bills drafted just 1 of the 10 players they visited most with last season.   The chart doesn't seem to be much of a clue.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mathja said:

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed. Folks on the board fell off Franklin but I think he's definitely in play and would be a good addition. Would rather see him in Buffalo than going to KC at 32. Lot of similarity to AB on the field (hopefully not off).

Worthy is going to KC at 32 and this board will melt down.

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Good catch.  The Bills drafted just 1 of the 10 players they visited most with last season.   The chart doesn't seem to be much of a clue.  

It may be a clue to who they'd LIKE to draft.  Beane said after the draft that they had a 1st round grade on one of the WR drafted ahead of them, so their many visits with Jordan Addison may indicate he was their guy (and he was, arguably, the best of the WR drafted in the 1st round although only 3rd overall)

I'm thinking private workouts or visits (whatever PRI means) may be a clue

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I have no idea where hes projected to go... but all things considered dane was a good soldier here and a ton of value for a 7th round pick.  Started 28 games, another 5 in the playoffs.  

agreed.  The hate for Dane is ridiculous.  He wasn't a 1st round pick.  The guy was a heck of a player for a 7th rounder, and not many teams (if any) have a  backup CB that could step up like he did.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

agreed.  The hate for Dane is ridiculous.  He wasn't a 1st round pick.  The guy was a heck of a player for a 7th rounder, and not many teams (if any) have a  backup CB that could step up like he did.  

He (like levi wallace before him) never developed the ball skills to be relied upon for more than depth in a zone scheme.  He tackles well, and does an OK job of disrupting the catch point - he had a rough year last year in this regard but a lot of them were really good catches honestly.  I wonder how much of that was a lack of athleticism causing him to play a bit more off coverage to prevent being beat deep on those cover 3/4/6 looks.  In man coverage i don't think he had the speed or size to be able to play much effective under coverage, and definitely isn't consistently getting his head around to make a play.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue