Buffalo Media's Credibility

krf139

Lost in the Diggs news of this week is how wrong the Buffalo media have been about Diggs over the past year:

- WGR hosts routinely dismissed callers who raised Diggs' behavior as an issue

- Team beat reporters took pride in pushing back on the national narrative that Diggs was an issue and could be traded.  They would boast about how they're local, on the ground and more tuned into the team.  They'd highlight the cap hit and claim that anyone from the national media who suggested a Diggs trade didn't understand the cap implications.  They loved going on national shows to tell everyone how much they know about the team and how the national narrative about a Diggs issue was wrong and potential trade wasn't happening.  Matt Bove even tweeted that Diggs wasn't getting traded literally less than 10 minutes before the trade was reported

- Tim Graham (who I previously thought was one of the few good ones) is now reporting how Allen snapped at Diggs after the Week 1 loss to the Jets.  It's such a disservice and somewhat disingenuous to withhold information like this until he's gone.  It highlights how many of these folks care far more about maintaining relationships/access to the players than holistically reporting what's going on with the team - especially a week 1 incident involving a player who was the talk of the offseason

It's unfortunate we don't have media members covering the team who we can trust.  I can only wonder what will continue to come out about the Diggs situation, or what would come out about McDermott re: 13 seconds if he gets fired. 

Edited by krf139
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Lost in the Diggs news of this week is how wrong the Buffalo media have been about Diggs over the past year:

- Team beat reporters took pride in pushing back on the national narrative that Diggs was an issue and could be traded.  They would boast about how they're local, on the ground and more tuned into the team.  They'd highlight the cap hit and claim that anyone from the national media who suggested a Diggs trade didn't understand the cap implications.  They loved going on national shows to tell everyone how much they know about the team and how the national narrative about a Diggs issue was wrong and potential trade wasn't happening.  Matt Bove even tweeted that Diggs wasn't getting traded literally less than 10 minutes before the trade was reported

- Tim Graham (who I previously thought was one of the few good ones) is now reporting how Allen snapped at Diggs after the Week 1 loss to the Jets.  It's such a disservice and somewhat disingenuous to withhold information like this until he's gone.  It highlights how many of these folks care far more about maintaining relationships/access to the players than holistically reporting what's going on with the team - especially a week 1 incident involving a player who was the talk of the offseason

It's unfortunate we don't have media members covering the team who we can trust.  I can only wonder what will continue to come out about the Diggs situation, or what would come out about McDermott re: 13 seconds if he gets fired. 

Diggs was voted a team captain.. never said one bad thing about the City of Buffalo or the organization

Came to practice every day and played his butt off for 4 years

The media drummed up his diva status and helped drive him out of town... There's been nothing but smear pieces about him for the last 2 years

The national media and pundits drove him out of Buffalo by highlighting this narrative day in and day out for 2 years

He certainly never went to the podium and said I want to leave or anything bad about Buffalo.. never not once 

What he was was hyper competitive

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Diggs was voted a team captain.. never said one bad thing about the City of Buffalo or the organization

The media drummed up his diva status and helped drive him out of town... There's been nothing but smear pieces about him for the last 2 years

The national media and pundits drove him out of Buffalo by highlighting this narrative day in and day out for 2 years

He certainly never went to the podium and said I want to leave or anything bad about Buffalo.. never not once 

Just take the L

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 4

we just shipped him out for a song to a team we are playing next year lol

they couldnt get rid of him fast enough...i dont think the media drove them to it

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, julian said:

Just take the L

Are you a child? What L am I taking?

People are pissing on the best wide receiver in Buffalo in the last 20 years... The guy who 100% helped Josh Allen

Nobody was calling him a bum when he was on wheaty boxes with Josh Allen and they were best friends... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

People are pissing on the best wide receiver in Buffalo in the last 20 years... The guy who 100% helped Josh Allen

Nobody was calling him a bum when he was on wheaty boxes with Josh Allen and they were best friends... 

regardless of what people think about Diggs, it’s a fact that the Buffalo media were wrong (when they took pride in thinking they knew more than national folks). I view it as an issue that we don’t have media we can trust 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

we just shipped him out for a song to a team we are playing next year lol

they couldnt get rid of him fast enough...i dont think the media drove them to it

Nobody hired Colin Kaepernick in the last 10 years because the media sensation

He's good enough to be a top 90 quarterback in the NFL.. nobody's taking him because the media circus is too big

100% the media has been drumming this up for 2 years nonstop... Ever since his extension... Everyday it's diggs to Dallas... Or he's a diva ... He's on the trade block etc 

This is been happening for 2 years.. even while him and Josh were still best friends... 

They've never let diggs just be a football player.. he's always been treated as a celebrity with Tmz gossip

Nobody wants to deal with that 24 7

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

He's good enough to be a top 90 quarterback in the NFL.. nobody's taking him because the media circus is too big

100% the media has been drumming this up for 2 years nonstop... Everyday it's diggs to Dallas... Or he's a diva ... He's on the trade block etc 

This is been happening for 2 years.. even while him and Josh were still best friends

They've never let diggs just be a football player.. he's always been treated as a celebrity with Tmz gossip

i see zero parallels between Kaepernick and Diggs other than they both play football

Diggs got what he wanted. at some point we have got to stop pretending this was some conspiracy to make him look like the bad guy. he 100% orchestrated this once he decided he didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore. very obvious, no need to pretend otherwise

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, krf139 said:

It's really in their best interest to NOT report every little thing they see or hear. Yes, maintaining a positive relationship with the team and staff is paramount to their job...but also they have to show some kind of decorum with keeping private moments private and maintaining the good faith and relationships with players as well. That's how they find out a good amount of what they do. Once that trust is violated they won't have any information anymore. Being a reporter is all about building relationships and trust. Not blindly blabbing.

In the case you mentioned....what good would it have done to report it? Other than become something else to gossip about on a message board? Graham even stated he doesn't even know what Diggs said that set Josh off. So he didn't even have the full story. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

i see zero parallels between Kaepernick and Diggs other than they both play football

Diggs got what he wanted. at some point we have got to stop pretending this was some conspiracy to make him look like the bad guy. he 100% orchestrated this once he decided he didn't want to be in Buffalo anymore. very obvious, no need to pretend otherwise

Pissing on a guy who has never publicly said anything bad about the city or organization

The guy who was on the cover of magazines and cereal boxes with Josh Allen as best friends of the NFL... 

The guy who 100% gave Josh Allen more confidence and helped him become an NFL superstar

I'm not going to say one bad thing about diggs.. because he busted his butt here for 4 years every game

The players voted him a captain... 

And he publicly did not trash Buffalo

Yes I think the media certainly did drum this up over years even if there was some smoke

I think they certainly enhanced it... Gaslighting 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

But a lot were after the last 10 horrendous games of his Buffalo career.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Pissing on a guy who has never publicly said anything bad about the city or organization

The guy who was on the cover of magazines and cereal boxes with Josh Allen as best friends of the NFL... 

The guy who 100% gave Josh Allen more confidence and helped him become an NFL superstar

I'm not going to say one bad thing about diggs.. because he busted his butt here for 4 years every game

The players voted him a captain... 

And he publicly did not trash Buffalo

Yes I think the media certainly did drum this up over years even if there was some smoke

I think they certainly enhanced it

the Stefon Diggs you are talking about is the one he projects

the one I'm talking about is the actual guy

if this isn't clear by now it never will be

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, krf139 said:

Tim Graham (who I previously thought was one of the few good ones) is now reporting how Allen snapped at Diggs after the Week 1 loss to the Jets.  It's such a disservice and somewhat disingenuous to withhold information like this until he's gone.

To be fair every reporter withholds certain information that they learn. If they didn't, they'd lose access to the team.

The people who should feel a bit sheepish right now are those on here and in the Bills media world who tried to claim that 1) Diggs has never been a distraction and the media drove all of the controversy, and/or 2) Diggs' contract made it "impossible" for him to be traded.

On the first point, a lot of people deliberately buried their heads in the sand and came up with various excuses to explain away Diggs' obviously distracting behavior. On the second point, I hope people have learned by now that NOTHING is impossible in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It's really in their best interest to NOT report every little thing they see or hear. Yes, maintaining a positive relationship with the team and staff is paramount to their job...but also they have to show some kind of decorum with keeping private moments private and maintaining the good faith and relationships with players as well. That's how they find out a good amount of what they do. Once that trust is violated they won't have any information anymore. Being a reporter is all about building relationships and trust. Not blindly blabbing.

In the case you mentioned....what good would it have done to report it? Other than become something else to gossip about on a message board? Graham even stated he doesn't even know what Diggs said that set Josh off. So he didn't even have the full story. 

I don’t view Allen snapping at Diggs as a “little thing” considering the offseason drama, mandatory minicamp issue, etc. Graham says he wishes he reported it at the time, so maybe this will be a lesson for him. 

• Vomit 1

they sat on a few very large stories.

one of the biggest i guess i will go ahead and share is that the team meeting that was said not to have happened did happen. it was in that meeting that the team decided and voted they wanted to oust Dorsey. they went to mcdermott with this request.

another team meeting happened later but i know no details about it and it was not a full team meeting.

• Disagree 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

To be fair every reporter withholds certain information that they learn. If they didn't, they'd lose access to the team.

The people who should feel a bit sheepish right now are those on here and in the Bills media world who tried to claim that 1) Diggs has never been a distraction and the media drove all of the controversy, and/or 2) Diggs' contract made it "impossible" for him to be traded.

On the first point, a lot of people deliberately buried their heads in the sand and came up with various excuses to explain away Diggs' obviously distracting behavior. On the second point, I hope people have learned by now that NOTHING is impossible in the NFL.

lol you'd think so but theyre doubling down it appears

2 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

The guy gives you a careful refutation of all your points and this is your response? WEAK 

Sometimes you just have to except you were wrong and move along, continuing to argue the point is WEAK… and he didn’t refute any of my points lol

I also don’t believe for one second that the Bills would trade away Diggs without Allen’s blessing. They just wouldn’t. And Allen wouldn’t be saying to the Bills, “sure, Stefon and me are buddies. Do what my buddy wants.”

No way. Josh wanted him out as bad as anyone. Maybe even orchestrated it behind the scenes for all we know. (Conspiracy theory) but make no mistake. Josh Allen and the Bills coaching staff and front office wanted Diggs gone. They couldn’t care less about the media.

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He went on a media circuit for a couple weeks after the Bengals divisional loss and publicly criticized the team and our inability to get over the hump. This is why I never understood people that tried to hand wave away his behavior. It wasn't a secret, he was very open about his displeasure on multiple occasions.

• Like (+1) 3

It has been pretty well noted that Terry Pegula keeps a pretty tight leash on local reporters and won't hesitate to go as far as pulling credentials for being critical of management for either major team. 

In some ways Buffalo is a tough market. But in others Terry has a lot more control of the market compared to a lot of other football, hockey, or basketball markets across the country. I don't think Pegula could hack it as the owner of a team in Philly, NY/NJ, Boston, Dallas, or even other mid-markets like Pittsburgh and San Fran. 

Edited by Mango
  • Agree 3

The thing is the media has to be able to stand up stories. I am sure they had all heard the same stuff about the Allen - Diggs relationship that a lot of us had. Some of them have been shared on this board over the last year or so. But the media can't just throw rumours out there. When your sources tell you stuff off the record it is off the record and if you can't substantiate it elsewhere you can't print it... or at least you take risks when you do. The number of questions that the beat guys asked both Allen and Diggs about it last summer is sufficient proof to me that they knew but both players were publicly still giving it the "brothers" line. What did you want them to do? Accuse both players of lying based on things they had been told off the record? 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I agree, but you have to admit that some if this is on Diggs too, because he is an emotionally volatile person and his play on the field is too connected with how he feels. I think his drop in production was primarily due to his attitude.

But I said it right after, I appreciate that he didn't go to the media and blatantly say or do anything. He sent a few cryptic tweets and that's all. I respect that. And the Bills kept everything in house as well.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

100% the media has been drumming this up for 2 years nonstop... Ever since his extension... Everyday it's diggs to Dallas... Or he's a diva ... He's on the trade block etc 

This is been happening for 2 years.. even while him and Josh were still best friends... 

Excellent comparison.  Backup quarterback on the downside and an aging receiver who fell off last year.  

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

the Stefon Diggs you are talking about is the one he projects

the one I'm talking about is the actual guy

if this isn't clear by now it never will be

I understand what you're saying

But , certainly almost every high level wide receiver is a diva... Besides like Larry Fitzgerald and anquan boldin

People want Marvin Harrison Jr who is 100% going to be a diva

2 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Excellent comparison.  Backup quarterback on the downside and an aging receiver who fell off last year.  

I'm not comparing there talent or position ...

I'm comparing the media circus that surrounds them... And makes them hard to keep on a team for years

Nobody wants Kaepernick because the media circus

The media circus drove diggs out of town

Even if the latter used it to his advantage

It really is bizarre how the OP (and some other fans) are taking this so personally. The local media said what they thought was correct given the information at the time. They were wrong, it happens. 

Who cares. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The thing is the media has to be able to stand up stories. I am sure they had all heard the same stuff about the Allen - Diggs relationship that a lot of us had. Some of them have been shared on this board over the last year or so. But the media can't just throw rumours out there. When your sources tell you stuff off the record it is off the record and if you can't substantiate it elsewhere you can't print it... or at least you take risks when you do. The number of questions that the beat guys asked both Allen and Diggs about it last summer is sufficient proof to me that they knew but both players were publicly still giving it the "brothers" line. What did you want them to do? Accuse both players of lying based on things they had been told off the record? 

This was local media towing the company line in exchange for good relations and team/player access, I’m not knocking them for it, it’s perfectly reasonable they’d want to maintain that relationship.

The National media had no such conflict of interest and thus the reason why you seen them continue to report on the rift and divide even after the Diggs/Allen and management told the local media everything was fine.

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He went on a media circuit for a couple weeks after the Bengals divisional loss and publicly criticized the team and our inability to get over the hump. This is why I never understood people that tried to hand wave away his behavior. It wasn't a secret, he was very open about his displeasure on multiple occasions.

Being frustrated that you didn't win... Is different than publicly destroying or criticizing your team

Can you bring up a link.. with diggs , actually criticizing the bills organization? Calling it a bad place to play? Or they don't know what they're doing? Or I'm carrying this franchise?

Or was it just frustration that every single athlete shows...

Did diggs go on Twitter or to the national media and say I'm done with Buffalo? I can't play here anymore? Or anything like that

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Is this a parody account?

• Vomit 1

Just now, SCBills said:

Lmao yeah because I'm not willing to piss on the best wide receiver in our franchise in the last 20 years

The guy who the media also portrayed as best friends with Josh Allen when everything was peachy

People are acting like he said ***** buffalo... All he did was play every game his hardest

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Its either Diggs,Diggs brother or some obsessed fan with no grip on reality. 

Lmao yeah because I'm not willing to piss on the best wide receiver in our franchise in the last 20 years

The guy who the media also portrayed as best friends with Josh Allen when everything was peachy

People are acting like he said ***** buffalo... All he did was play every game his hardest

Bull ****  pure and absolute Bull ****.  

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Lmao yea ok pal 

Bills fans pissing on a player who worked his ass off and did charity work all over Buffalo 

Nobody was talking ***** about him 2 years ago ... Bills fans turn on everybody lol

3 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Bull ****  pure and absolute Bull ****.  

You're a joke lol

I've been a respected poster on the site for 7 years

Block me if you don't like my opinion

• Like (+1) 3

Buffalo is a small city in a large market game. I think the media in this town feel a need to play nice to retain access to the team. The media in larger markets have always been more harsh, and not afraid to ruffle feathers. Buffalo media has been an extension of OBD for decades by default. A good deal of the fanbase was brainwashed into thinking the drought years weren’t so bad. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I really loved Diggs and his play.  And am now ok with them moving on.  We don't need drastic opinions on everything.  Diggs had his issues but overall he was excellent.  You can nitpick Josh's play and make some criticism as well, which I know wont go over well here. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You paint Diggs as though he’s the victim here, like the trade wasn’t justified due to his off the field (and on the field issues).

Players aren’t going to publicly trash their peers or especially their employers, unless they have no intention of working in the NFL again. Diggs is gone because he wanted it that way, not because of the media. 

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Josh Norman literally said he was taking himself out of games

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Josh Norman literally said he was taking himself out of games

When last year? After he got suplex by sauce Gardner? Went on the injury report for a back injury

And never played the same the rest of the year cuz he was clearly hurt

He clearly was hampered the last part of the season last year... And that back injury that he was on the report for definitely didn't clear up in a week or two

And the previous three seasons he literally ate all pro cornerbacks for lunch

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Stop sniffing Digg's jock. It's not a good look .

4 minutes ago, Brand J said:

You paint Diggs as though he’s the victim here, like the trade wasn’t justified due to his off the field (and on the field issues).

Players aren’t going to publicly trash their peers or especially their employers, unless they have no intention of working in the NFL again. Diggs is gone because he wanted it that way, not because of the media. 

I have never said Stef is a victim... Never not once

I said I'm not pissing on him on his way out of Buffalo because he was good for Josh Allen's development and the team

Just now, Bag of Milk said:

Stop sniffing Digg's jock. It's not a good look .

I don't give two craps what you think of me

Some people on this board probably don't know if a football is filled with air or stuffed with feathers