We can still win a Super Bowl this year

Success

14 minutes ago, Process said:

Of course we can. Anyone who thinks we are not Superbowl contenders is foolish. 

Define contender? Making the playoffs? Sure. If contender is a realistic shot at making the superbowl next season? Then call me foolish.

Bills closest opportunity to get to a superbowl was 4 seasons ago. Since then they’ve not gotten pass the divisional 3 times with ascending and stable teams. Now with major roster turnovers they’re suddenly going to achieve more than they’ve ever had? Yeah…no. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Define contender? Making the playoffs? Sure. If contender is a realistic shot at making the superbowl next season? Then call me foolish.

Bills closest opportunity to get to a superbowl was 4 seasons ago. Since then they’ve not gotten pass the divisional 3 times with ascending and stable teams. Now with major roster turnovers they’re suddenly going to achieve more than they’ve ever had? Yeah…no. 

We gave KC their best game in the playoffs, and beat them in the regular.  That was w/ Diggs underperforming and dropping what likely could have won the game..

We're getting guys back from injury, including 2 top tier LB's, and 2 CB's (Douglas was clearly playing hurt at the end).  Kincaid will be in year 2, we have a good running game, and Allen.  Of the guys we lost, only Morse was really a big contributor this past season.

I think we have just as realistic a shot at the SB as we have for the past 3 years.

14 minutes ago, Success said:

I think we have just as realistic a shot at the SB as we have for the past 3 years.

Agreed. Because ‘realistically’ we didn’t get to the afccg the last 3 years much less the superbowl. Now the team is turning over its roster to go younger. I think they will be better for it eventually but not this coming season. Do or die for this coaching staff in 2025 is my guess. 

@Billl - still w/ the laughing emojis?  Hate to tell ya - you're not going to come to an opposing team's board and hear every fan wallowing in misery & despair.  We have more than a few of those here though, if you get hyped about that kind of thing.

If anyone would understand that trading a top tier receiver shouldn't close a window, you would think it would be KC fans.  But you can focus your attention on Cincy & Houston now if you feel like we're done.

1) Beane can still make moves to build our roster back up

2) We can still hope to hit big on some draft picks

I hate losing a guy like Diggs… but how can anyone speculate how we’ll be this year until we actually have a full roster and start putting the pads on?  Maybe we’ll suck.  Maybe we’ll be a Super Bowl team. Absolutely zero clue right now.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Success said:

Of the guys we lost, only Morse was really a big contributor this past season.

Floyd had 10.5 sacks, and Diggs and Davis combined for 150 catches, 2000 yards, and 15 TDs.  If they weren’t big contributors, who was?

26 minutes ago, Success said:

If anyone would understand that trading a top tier receiver shouldn't close a window, you would think it would be KC fans.  But you can focus your attention on Cincy & Houston now if you feel like we're done.

I understand perfectly well that it doesn’t close a window.  I said last offseason that they should trade him, but to pretend that he doesn’t make a big difference is divorced from reality.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Billl said:

Floyd had 10.5 sacks, and Diggs and Davis combined for 150 catches, 2000 yards, and 15 TDs.  If they weren’t big contributors, who was?

I understand perfectly well that it doesn’t close a window.  I said last offseason that they should trade him, but to pretend that he doesn’t make a big difference is divorced from reality.

Well, you laughed at the idea that the Bills could make the SB in '24.  Wanna go on record?  Are you saying there is no way they'll be in contention?

7 hours ago, Udubalum07 said:

I don't think there is any doubt in my mind that they could win it this year. The team was 3 dropped passes where if one of those was completed, one off balanced throw to an open receiver and a missed routine fg away from beating this year's super bowl winner. 

We gain big pieces back on defense, and I truly don't think the receiver losses hurt them all that much.  Better injury luck and hit on a receiver in the draft and I think they are in good shape. 

You had me at good shape.  Hey it’s likely our WR group will be better.   Cmon man, our 1 and 2 were mediocre the last 6 games.  I’m real excited about Justin Shorter.  He’s got plenty of bull dawg.  

9 hours ago, Success said:

Mind you - I am not saying we will or should be SB favorites, or even considered a top 3-4 contender.

But losing Diggs changes very little, imo.  A lot will depend on who we get in the 1st round this year, and if they can adjust quickly to the pro's.

Diggs did nothing for us in the past 2 playoff losses, and his production was way down the entire 2nd half of last season (when we made our run).

Just responding to thoughts in the Diggs thread that his trade clearly means a year off, and a rebuild.  To me, it means a trade up for a better receiver, and we'll still be contending.  I don't see this as some sort of window-closer.

I think we surprise this year. But I think next year is when the SB window really opens. 

My question after everything we've done this offseason and now in moving Diggs....

Why did we keep McDermott?

Let me preface it by saying I wasn't out for his blood after this season. If he stayed or went, I wasn't going to lose any sleep.

But many felt this was a make or break season for him. Then they did about as big of a soft rebuild of the team as you can do while still having a Franchise QB in place.

Even with a potentially better roster on paper, there's now *SO MANY* moving parts this season that it almost feels like a built in excuse or expected that we don't take the next step.

I feel like if we were going to do this much overhaul to the roster - this year would have been a good time to make the change at Head Coach too.

It's a tall order to say you lose WRs 1&2, starting CB and your 2 safeties, some DTs, and a revamped OLine and say we're as good as we were. It's a necessary step back but a step back nonetheless.  I hope it comes together in time to make a playoff run this season. KC is better, Cincy is back, Chargers look better, Browns, Jets and Ravens look good. And the Texans look like a breakout team. So precious little room for error. Diggs lost faith in this team, with good reason. We find ways to lose in crunch time. Maybe this latest talent turnover will fix that. I'm hopeful but not expecting it this year.

8 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I'm not making that statement strictly based on losing Diggs.  I'm factoring in the losses of Morse, Poyer, White, Gabe Davis, Leonard Floyd as well.  It's just too much roster turnover for one season.  Of course they aren't going to come out and talk like it in front of the media but I guarantee you behind closed doors even Beane and McDermott are approaching the next couple years like a quick reset.  

Davis? Floyd? You're kidding, right? 

Morse, White and Poyer were all expendable.

23 minutes ago, Success said:

Well, you laughed at the idea that the Bills could make the SB in '24.  Wanna go on record?  Are you saying there is no way they'll be in contention?

I just told you that I was laughing at the notion that Diggs being traded “changes very little”.  I see the Bills as a 9-10 win team next year.  I don’t see them as a legit threat to win the Super Bowl, but it’s not an impossibility.  They’re +1200 currently, so Vegas thinks they have about a 1 in 15 chance.  They, Detroit, and Cincinnati are essentially tied for the 4th - 6th best odds.  That seems about right to me.

Overall, I think this was probably a good move for the Bills.  I don’t think it makes sense in the larger context of what Beane has done the rest of the offseason, though.  It doesn’t make sense to me that he would restructure a bunch of contracts in order to add salary this season and try to make a run only to trade Diggs and eat a bunch of dead money.  IMO, if trading Diggs was a consideration then they should have ripped the bandaid off and moved on from Von as well.  

Beane reminds me of Chris Ballard in Indy.  They’re the kings of half-measures.  They’re so worried about being competitive that they’ll never do what it takes to win a Super Bowl.  I watched Carl Peterson do the same think in Kansas City for decades.

37 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

My question after everything we've done this offseason and now in moving Diggs....

Let me preface it by saying I wasn't out for his blood after this season. If he stayed or went, I wasn't going to lose any sleep.

But many felt this was a make or break season for him. Then they did about as big of a soft rebuild of the team as you can do while still having a Franchise QB in place.

Even with a potentially better roster on paper, there's now *SO MANY* moving parts this season that it almost feels like a built in excuse or expected that we don't take the next step.

I feel like if we were going to do this much overhaul to the roster - this year would have been a good time to make the change at Head Coach too.

Pegula has no appetite to change regime. As for me, there are no excuses. I expect to contend. 

18 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Davis? Floyd? You're kidding, right? 

Morse, White and Poyer were all expendable.

Before I say anything else I have no problem moving on from any of these guys.  It was the right move 100%  I am excited for the direction the Bills are going in.  But if you are talking about going directly into next season you are delusional if you don't think they won't feel the impact of losing so many starters and vets and they are going to waltz into a Super Bowl title.  We have no idea what Mcgovern is going to look like as a starting Center, we have no idea what the Defensive secondary is going to look like.  Our D-line still came up way too short last season when it really mattered and there's no indication that is going to be resolved by next season.  There will be growing pains or setbacks this upcoming year.  I swear some fans on here underestimate how freaking hard it is to actually win a Super Bowl lol.  

27 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

It's a tall order to say you lose WRs 1&2, starting CB and your 2 safeties, some DTs, and a revamped OLine and say we're as good as we were. It's a necessary step back but a step back nonetheless.  I hope it comes together in time to make a playoff run this season. KC is better, Cincy is back, Chargers look better, Browns, Jets and Ravens look good. And the Texans look like a breakout team. So precious little room for error. Diggs lost faith in this team, with good reason. We find ways to lose in crunch time. Maybe this latest talent turnover will fix that. I'm hopeful but not expecting it this year.

Gotta be honest. I lost faith in him down the stretch. His play, for whatever reason, fell off. He's replaceable.

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

Anyone know the odds for the Bills trading for Justin Jefferson? 😏

LOL - was literally just talking about that w/ some friends.  Probably low.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Before I say anything else I have no problem moving on from any of these guys.  It was the right move 100%  I am excited for the direction the Bills are going in.  But if you are talking about going directly into next season you are delusional if you don't think they won't feel the impact of losing so many starters and vets and they are going to waltz into a Super Bowl title.  We have no idea what Mcgovern is going to look like as a starting Center, we have no idea what the Defensive secondary is going to look like.  Our D-line still came up way too short last season when it really mattered and there's no indication that is going to be resolved by next season.  There will be growing pains or setbacks this upcoming year.  I swear some fans on here underestimate how freaking hard it is to actually win a Super Bowl lol.  

Hang on. I never said SB or bust. However, my expectations with Josh at the helm remain high. The turnover can be a shot in the arm. I expect a playoff team this season and I'll take my chances with #17.

2 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

Hang on. I never said SB or bust. However, my expectations with Josh at the helm remain high. The turnover can be a shot in the arm. I expect a playoff team this season and I'll take my chances with #17.

And I never said they won't be a playoff team this year.  My post is strictly going against the OP's original point about the Bills winning a Super Bowl this year.  There's just too many holes to fill in one draft for them to be built to win the whole thing.  But yes I completely agree that turning over an aging roster and bringing in youth will be a shot in the arm.  Two good draft classes and possibly a nice free agent or two in the mix and this team can be right back in the thick of things.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Of course we can, it’s just the fair weather fans that are having a tantrum, I say ignore those children, 

• Like (+1) 2

No, we will not win the Super Bowl in the 2024-2025 season. We could still make playoffs.

We will be competitive in 2025-2026 as we will have more cap space, more draft capital, and hopefully more young players on controllable contracts.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

This season is a wash. Too much turnover in one offseason. This is a straight rebuild. 

I dont see it that way at all. 

Upgraded at WR2 with Curtis Samuel 

CB is arguably better with a full year of Douglas and Benford

LB is much improved with Milano back

OL and DL will be virtually the same. 

Kincaid with another year is better, same with RB 

The only wild cards are WR and Safety (which I am not concerned about at all with McDermott)

Grab one of the better WR's ( or draft 2 WR's) and we could be better next year than we were this year plus tons of cap space next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Very small chance. But I thought that anyway. 2024 is a mini-reset, still be competitive still make the playoffs but little chance of a deep run year to me. It was with Diggs. I think that even more now, but it isn't a big dial mover.

ask me after any trades, the draft, and any more signings... right now as we sit in don't see playoff team. but still a lot of room to improved before the season starts.  plus your asking a rookie to come in and be the #1 WR the odds of that happening are slim to none. this appear to be a rebuild year to me..  and folks forget there are a bunch of teams in the AFC that are really good as well.

We have way too many questions all over the place in my opinion.  set at QB, Set at RB, O-line is okay but unproven at center. WR room is a mess, two viable WR's maybe 3 if shorter can show up. no #1 is a glaring need and even a future #2 is needed. TE set.. potential for an impact TE. Overall the offense is weaker than last year.

Defense DT is solid but aging, DE - weak, unproven pass rush again and von is old. you not beating the leagues elite teams with an average pass rush.  LB set (perhaps the best group in the NFL) CB solid for now.. Nickel solid for now, Safety's unproven to say the least. defense needs a playmaker right now the only group that look like it has a chance at that is LB. Defense is weaker then last year and not buy a small amount. 

sorry but unless Beane has a draft for the ages I just don't see playoff's this year. and I really question if the head coach is the right choice for the future as well..  it time for him to stop making big mistakes in big games. I have my doubts, he feels like marv levy to me... good but not great.

(and before anyone say anything about marv) how many hall of fame players did he have, and still could not win it. 

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Fully agree that this would have been the logical time to make a change at HC. By not doing so they will move forward and rebuild the team the way McDermott wants. It is a terrible idea to get into a rebuild and then dump your HC halfway through. That can set a team back years when the new HC makes their changes. I don’t see that happening, so this tells me that the Pegulas expect McDermott to be here for that whole process. He’s signed through the 2027 season so there’s no real chance of a HC change until before the 2026 or 2027 season. Like it or not - and I don’t - that’s the realistic view of the situation. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, buffblue said:

FIFY. And I still see the Bills as favorites in the East this year because quite frankly, our division could be pretty bad. 

I think 10 wins might take it this year. The Jets are the only threat (last year it was Miami), and it is highly unlikely they will stay healthy. 

Because it’s so likely that the Bills stay healthy?

Ours season will hinge far more on our overall defense and some of the big changes in the secondary rather than the loss of a soon to be 31 year old WR who has produced next to nothing in the back half of each of the last two seasons, including no showing nearly every playoff game. 

As long as we have JA, Bills Super Bowl window will always be open. We just need the defense to actually hold an opponent to 20-24 points for once in the divisional/championship round. Not likely to make the Super Bowl if your defense is giving up 27+ points every time you reach the divisional round. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

All we need is for the Bills to draft really well, everyone to stay healthy while meshing together seamlessly, and the other contenders to have crippling injuries. Then all we have to do is not choke away a playoff game en route to our first SB win. It’s that simple. Why can’t you negative Nancys see that?

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Gotta be honest. I lost faith in him down the stretch. His play, for whatever reason, fell off. He's replaceable.

Everyone's replaceable. My point is replacing half the team in one off season will take some time to mesh. At a time when AFC teams are making leaps and gains, we're playing catch up. By season's end, we should know if our second window is open or not. We absolutely pissed away Josh's first SB window.

It really doesn’t matter what everyone thinks. Let’s see how the season goes. Reminds me of the W/L picks for the entire season people do which never even comes close to the reality.  What’s the point. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Very small chance. But I thought that anyway. 2024 is a mini-reset, still be competitive still make the playoffs but little chance of a deep run year to me. It was with Diggs. I think that even more now, but it isn't a big dial mover.

Right... what did this affect our super bowl chances by? a percent? less?  

21 hours ago, Success said:

Mind you - I am not saying we will or should be SB favorites, or even considered a top 3-4 contender.

But losing Diggs changes very little, imo.  A lot will depend on who we get in the 1st round this year, and if they can adjust quickly to the pro's.

Diggs did nothing for us in the past 2 playoff losses, and his production was way down the entire 2nd half of last season (when we made our run).

Just responding to thoughts in the Diggs thread that his trade clearly means a year off, and a rebuild.  To me, it means a trade up for a better receiver, and we'll still be contending.  I don't see this as some sort of window-closer.

How about we wait until the draft is over, get a feel for this team and then make predictions.  Even this summer we have $10 mil freed up.

A number of Bills analysts see it plausible we scoop up OBJ in the summer on top of a big draft day trade for a higher pick at WR.

Im just not one for knee jerk reactions and Diggs has become a distraction and they had enough.

27 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

It really doesn’t matter what everyone thinks. Let’s see how the season goes. Reminds me of the W/L picks for the entire season people do which never even comes close to the reality.  What’s the point. 

I'm going to go 11-6 again.  

4-2 in division.

3-1 in the NFC west.  7-3

3-1 in the AFC south - 10-4

1-2 in the KC/Balt/Detroit - 11-6

I also could see Houston as a playoff miss (Jags were my pick last year and i got pretty damn lucky :-)).  The shift from a last place to 1st place schedule - (Ravens, Cowboys, Chiefs vs. Jets, Broncos, Cardinals as non-commons), as well as playing the NFC North vs. South (i know the vikings and bears will be bad, but the falcons and panthers are also bad), and then factoring in improvements made by all the teams in their division.  I dunno, doesn't seem that farfetched.  

21 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Right... what did this affect our super bowl chances by? a percent? less?  

I mean the chances of any team winning a superbowl before the season starts are vanishingly small.... the favourites tend to work out at less that 20% chance by most predictive models.... that the loss of any player other than a top 5 QB is bound to be less than a percentage point of difference, right?

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Have you looked at the key pieces they are counting on? Two aging tackles (one of whom hasn't played close to a full season in 9 years!) protecting a 40 year old QB coming off a torn Achilles. What could go wrong?