Diggs traded to Texans for picks

I know many are down on the compensation but you got to maybe realize that league wide the word is out that Diggs has hit the wall and it's only slowly going to go downhill from here. Tough pill right now, but having 27 million to play with next year is going to feel real good. Answer that, Miller's contract may be coming off the books too depending what happens with him.....mo money!!! In conclusion, it may take a little while to get the newcomers on the same page but if we hit on the right picks I don't necessarily see this is a take a step back year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't know if the rest of the math in this table is right but Diggs had 578 receiving yards, 62 receptions, and 99 targets during this span (last 12 games including playoffs).  JoeMa is just a little bit completely off the mark here.  I highly doubt everything in this tweet.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/advanced/

Shakir's numbers are way off too.  

Shakir went 611 yards, 41 receptions, on 48 targets.

JoeMa is drunk.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I think this will end badly for the Texans when Diggs starts pouting after realizing he is #2 or #3 on their depth chart. He is going to be a distraction for their excellent young QB. 

We will see how long Ryans puts up with his attitude. Imo, Ryans will be swifter than McDermott to impose discipline 

I think they finally pulled the trigger when they realized the pouting that would go on after drafting the heir apparent in the first, even waiting until 28.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You sound like the sort of Sabres fan who actually thought trading Eichel and Reinhart was a good idea, or that they were somehow part of any problem with the team.

A pox on your family for a thousand generations!

Okay…If Diggs wasn’t a problem, then why did BB trade him and take on the massive dead cap hit for 2024…especially after losing Gabe Davis to FA?  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't know if the rest of the math in this table is right but Diggs had 578 receiving yards, 62 receptions, and 99 targets during this span (last 12 games including playoffs).  JoeMa is just a little bit completely off the mark here.  I highly doubt everything in this tweet.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DiggSt00/gamelog/2023/advanced/

It looks like someone added up YBC not yards...

Still, a 48 yard per game average over the final 12 games is no where near #1 wr production.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I don't think that's how it'll play out at all. Just like when he left the Vikings, he kept his head down & stayed quiet the whole time.

He doesn't take shots in the media, and all his teammates always speak highly of him. I think he sees the Texans as a better up & coming team and wants to win.

He wants to be the number 1 in targets and is an attention seeker. He won plenty in Buffalo but that didn't stop his antics. 

Texans are a good and upcoming team and imo, he provides experience but won't be a needle mover for them 

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I really like Nico Collins from what I've seen.  

It could go the other way - Diggs could "return to the feast" with a true #1 WR ahead of him taking off the heat

A tiger doesn't change his stripes. We will see but I wouldn't bet on Diggs suddenly becoming a team player. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

My point was, roster building is easier when all your money isn’t going to a franchise QB. 

We shall see, but I still take the Bills as a whole, and I respect what they are doing in Houston. The Diggs deal doesn’t move my needle much. I want to get younger, cheaper and on the proper trajectory. 

Well, the original implication is that Houston's also building around Stroud, whereas we got Allen, made building around Allen secondary to McD building out his pet D to #1/2/4 standards.  That would all be fine and dandy if the D didn't play like the 25th ranked D come playoff time, and Allen had some real help without spending $96 for four, ... rather three years, for a WR.  

We've taken a nearly completely opposite approach.  We'll see what happens, but also paramount to my point is that the outcome of the @ Houston game will either validate or invalidate our and conversely their approach, generally speaking.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, FLFan said:

Beane was not the GM in Carolina so I am not sure what the comparison is.  

That’s fair, I forget Beane wasn’t the GM in Carolina, that’s on me. I do however see striking similarities in the construction of the Cam Newton led Panthers and this Bills team. 

7 hours ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Great no WR1! Great job. Sorry Diggs I don't blame you for wanting out now. Hope you kill it with a real franchise. Hey Houston you scored a top 5 wide out for peanuts. Now we have cap space to do something stupid. 

Name should be “SometimesBillsFan”

15 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I think they finally pulled the trigger when they realized the pouting that would go on after drafting the heir apparent in the first, even waiting until 28.  

Completely agree. The time was now. 3 straight years of playoff disappearances. Turns 31 in November and all the diva drama. Getting someone to give us a 2nd is gold.  We'll survive and it wouldn't surprise me to see Beane trade up for Odunze or Thomas.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Jauronimo is correct and Joe Marino's stats for Diggs at least, are incorrect. 

The bottom line as Kyle Brandt pointed out, is that the Bills saw a lot of receiving talent walk.  There are positions where I don't doubt Beane to identify talent and McDermott and staff to coach it up - like DB and S.

There are also positions where historically, his track record is more mixed - like WR. 

Can the heading of the thread be updated to be accurate: "Diggs and picks traded to Texans for second round pick" ?

Just now, Beck Water said:

There are also positions where historically, his track record is more mixed - like WR. 

Mixed is charitiable.  But I think Beane is better than you give him credit for.  Davis and Diggs 2024 performances might illustrate one way or the the other. 

Diggs cost a 1st (and change) to acquire.

His cost has been $19.5M per year for 4 years AAV.

Now Beane gets a 2nd back.

Diggs did his job but he is not worth pushing $30M a year for future years.  

If I look at it that way, it's a wash and time for someone younger to take it farther.

Everything has it's time and Beane no doubt thoughts it's now.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

24 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I don't think he could handle Josh being such a mega star. It's fine for Steph when he's the center of attention. If he's not he starts to behave in ways to get the attention back on him. 

Everything seems to point to a major distraction being removed.  Addition by subtraction.

You can't have a ball hog ragging on your QB during a game. I can see Allen forcing the ball Diggs way just to shut him up while the other receivers go through the motions on plays because they know the cry baby is going to get passified.

Playing hockey we had a puck hog that never passed the puck and the coaches ignored the problem.  Other players open for a shot or in better position to make a play began to understand the situation and just stopped skating.  Why waste your energy.  When he got moved down the bench our team became competitive.

We'll see what happens with the Bills but I'm seeing this as a positive and I bet Josh has a sound full night of sleep tonight knowing the stress and strain of dealing with a diva of over.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1