Chart of the last time a team drafted a ___ in the top 2 rounds

DJB

2017 was the Mahomes trade down. They picked Tre White, not a WR. Sammy Watkins (2014) was the last first round receiver I believe. 

Edited by Brand J

9 minutes ago, Brand J said:

2017 was the Mahomes trade down. They picked Tre White, not a WR. Sammy Watkins (2014) was the last first round receiver I believe. 

First or second round. Zay Jones

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 2

• DJB changed the title to Chart of the last time a team drafted a ___ in the top 2 rounds

What about Groot and Boogie in 21? 

That obviously worked out bad asf as well.

Ya I'm def not on board with WR in 1 and 2 as some have suggested 

edit- nvm, read it wro g. Thought it meant same position in rds 1 & 2

Edited by JerseyBills

Very cool chart. Seems like nearly all teams have a very good spread over the past 6 or 7 years of what they’re drafting. 

Rams look to be the only the real outlier. 

Why are you surprised by safety? Safeties are not drafted high, are one of the lower impact positions, are one of the lower paid positions, and we have had an elite pair of safeties for years. So yeah, no wonder we didn't spend a 1st or 2nd rounder on one.

And we still shouldn't. You can get a starting caliber safety for pretty cheap in free agency. If you want to draft one, draft one in the 4th round or later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The one I find fascinating is the Seahawks haven’t drafted a QB in the first two rounds in over 30 years. Really? 

The Saints are "NA" for QB, which I guess means they haven't drafted one in the first two rounds since 1980? That's pretty crazy. They got Drew Brees in free agency.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The one I find fascinating is the Seahawks haven’t drafted a QB in the first two rounds in over 30 years. Really? 

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Saints are "NA" for QB, which I guess means they haven't drafted one in the first two rounds since 1980? That's pretty crazy. They got Drew Brees in free agency.

Yeah, the Saints is more peculiar to me given they went 20 years from

inception with no more than 8 wins in a season then went 13 seasons from the early 90’s to Brees with middling success out with the year they acquired Joe Horn.

Nearly 60 seasons without a single QB in the first 2 rounds is exactly like the chart suggests… a rare and isolated event. 

5 draft years since the AFL/NFL merger has a QB not been drafted in the first round. 3 of those 5 had a QB drafted in the 2nd rounds… The 1974 had Danny White drafted with the very first pick in the 3rd. So just missing out from it being 4. That’s 2 drafts in the history since the merger that haven’t had a QB drafted in the first two rounds. 

Edited by BBFL

only 18 teams have drafted IOL in 1st 2 rounds since 2020.  Washington hasn't since 1995!

only 16 have drafted a safety since 2020 (15 years ago for Bills).

16 teams have drafted QB since 202---wild!

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

It’s even wilder than that. They drafted Archie Manning second overall in 1971. He’s the only QB they’ve ever drafted in the first three rounds to ever make an NFL roster. They drafted Garrett Grayson with the 75th pick in 2015 but he never made the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:01 AM, Special K said:

After the Bills hopefully target a WR in round 1 such as Xavier Leggette or Xavier Worthy, Safety may be a position addressed in round 2 or 3.

I think Cole Bishop is an intriguing prospect.....he has a lot of McBeane traits, but I'm not 100% sure he would be a fit in McD's Defense, but definitely worth a look. He may be a better fit in the Taylor Rapp role.

What do you think??

From Bleacher Report:

Cole Bishop is a multiyear starter with very good size for a safety at 6'2" and 207 pounds. He's an instinctual player with a high football IQ and the versatility to play all over the field. He has the physicality to be a box player and the movement skills to cover in space.

While playing the run game, Bishop excels when he's close to the line of scrimmage. He uses his instincts to identify and react to the run with very good short-area quickness, and he closes on the ball with very good angles. He's a strong tackler who does a good job of fronting up and running through the ball-carrier when in the box, but he tends to dive and have more inconsistent tackling when on the edge. Bishop is a downhill player who does a great job of attacking the line of scrimmage and playing close to or in the backfield.

As a pass defender, Bishop has shown the ability to drop as a deep defender, where he is able to play the routes in front of him and react to the ball in the air. When defending intermediate routes, he has the ability to play man coverage, using his short-area bursts to get out of breaks and drive on the ball.

Bishop does his best when playing as an underneath defender, where he can pass off receivers and has over-the-top help. He is a short strider with some stiff hips, and he struggles to turn and run. He's slow to climb and gain growth, which may cause issues in the NFL.

Though Bishop has versatility within his game, he lacks true scheme versatility. He's best as a box defender, so he'll fit best as a strong safety who can occasionally switch up his look as a deep defender. Bishop could carve out a successful NFL career if the right team selects him.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Rick Meyer no?

Just now, Ben said:

Rick Meyer no?

Sorry that was Seattle 

Not sure what the OP is really getting at, but the most recent time we drafted immediate starters in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft was last year in Kincaid and Torrence.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

If you look at the Bills sorry draft history and looking for good players with our 1st two picks, you come back with 2018 (Allen & Edmunds), 2017 (White, Zay Jones & Dion Dawkins - although Jones is better in Jax then he ever was with us), 2007 (Lynch & Pusluszny), 2003  (McGahee and Kelsey), and 2001 (Clements & Schobel).  Not exactly a great drafting history.  

I am excited about the last two drafts, especially 2022.  So far there are 4 starters from that class (Cook (2nd), Bernard (3rd), Shakir (5th) & Benford (6th)) and that is even with the 1st rd miss in Elam.  This rivals 2018 (Allen, Edmunds, Philips, Taron Johnson and Wyatt Teller) and 2017 (White, Jones, Dawkins, and Milano)

What is the best class in Bills' history? 1985 - Bruce Smith, Chris Burkett, Frank Reich, Andre Reed and Dale Hellestrae?  Of the 12 Bills draftees to play 200 or more NFL games, 3 come from the 1985 class.  (Class also includes 2 of the 6 Bills HOF draftees who actually played for Buffalo.)

Edited by GASabresIUFan

1 hour ago, Billl said:

It’s even wilder than that. They drafted Archie Manning second overall in 1971. He’s the only QB they’ve ever drafted in the first three rounds to ever make an NFL roster. They drafted Garrett Grayson with the 75th pick in 2015 but he never made the team. 

I honestly thought the Saints was a type-o so I ignored it. 😂

If the Bills had not traded their first round pick for Diggs, they probably would have drafted a WR in the first that year.

Also, having Poyer and Hyde reduced the need for a Safety in those first two rounds for quite a while. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, DJB said:

WR and S spot for the Bills 😣

Not sad at all about safety, there’s better positions to spend firsts on, there’s usually only one or two safeties that go in the first.

10 hours ago, Roundybout said:

2009 was Jairus Byrd right?

I forgot he was a 2nd rounder. I do remember that was the draft we wasted on Aaron Maybin, perhaps the worst 1st round pick we've ever made.

Edited by BigDingus

This is absolutely pointless when leave out the fact they traded a first round pick for a top 3 WR in the league and he performed better than any WR in franchise history.

Not sure what the point the OP is trying to make when you leave out all the relevant facts.