We are set at WR. Maybe we’ll grab one in Round 6.

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I don’t often disagree with you, but I sure do here. 

if you look at the Bills current roster— and I’ll say including reserve/future— at what positions would you say the Bills are thin?

To my eye:

Offense:

QB, excellent 

OL, adequate 

WR, thin(ish)

RB, adequate 

TE, deep

Defense:

DT, thin

DE, thin

LB, adequate(ish)

S, thin

CB, thin

And where were the majority of our injuries last season? We ignore defensive depth at our peril. 

You are making sense but remember when Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, and Andre were getting old at the same time? Instead of thinking about their replacements, the Bills drafted cornerbacks. It obviously didn't work and I would hate to see this happen again. Diggs isn't getting better from where I sit and certainly isn't getting younger. Also, guards are now suddenly getting the big bucks. OL depth is wonderful to have.

We might never have another QB as talented as Josh. Now is the time to give him more weapons and protection. 

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Diggs, Shakir, Hollins, Samuel, Shorter…even Kincaid (WR/TE). Nice WR room.

Face it…we need an interior O lineman or a safety.

Deal with it.  

No we don't.  McD routinely turns 5th and 6th round DB's into good players, especially at safety which is the RB of defense.

We draft a young stud at WR in round 1 to take over for an aging Diggs when he starts declining. That's how you build a team that always stays good...you have deep pipelines at key positions.

Defense DOESN'T MATTER on this team. McD is going to get players schemed up to be a top 10 D regardless. They need to get to a place where they can bring firepower to destroy teams and not have to worry about the D saving them in the playoffs.  We have tried that for 5 years now, it hasn't worked.

The definition is insanity is doing the same thing over and over again even tho it doesn't work and expecting different results.

The offense needs to be the focal point, the D can be top 10 and they'll be fine. Do not allocate key resources to defense.   

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

In all seriousness , take a look at the active roster, and then tell me if you still think they “should go all offense.”

I understand, but I’d rather have a stellar offense with a middling defense then a balanced offense and defense.

McDermott is supposed to be a defensive guru, so he should be able to do more with less. Otherwise what’s the point? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Deal with it.  

200.gif?cid=60e32e671i6xlbs10vz2384v8vug

Put more simply than my previous post:

Not all WRs play the same position. So it's not as simple as saying "we have enough receivers now".

Diggs is a Z. Shakir/Samuel are slots. The Bills need a viable X, which is what Gabe was. We have Hollins and Shorter and Shavers, but those are all replacement level JAGs. The Bills need a DYNAMIC X. There's not currently one on the roster.

Because of that fact, and because we simply need young bodies at wide receiver to start grooming to take over for Diggs as WR1 in the near future, it's imperative that the Bills draft a young WR or two this offseason. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Deal with it.  

sitting back to watch the carnage of indignation Erupt lmao

Im grabbing my popcorn and await the comedic GOLD sure to follow. Which is exactly what was intended

senor fergy does LOVE to stir the pot. lol *giggles rt*

All I'm saying  is ... I'd like them  to be able to score 40 a game! Especially  when it counts!  More offense  please 🙏 we get a lead, let their defense  worry  

Edited by 90sTillNOW

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

I respectfully buy vehemently disagree. Two reasons.

The first reason is that when building a team, you look beyond the coming season. You look at the following season, as well.

In 2025, Diggs will be 32 years old, Samuel will be 29, and Shakir will be in a contract year. No one beyond those three is worth discussing (Shorter unproven, Hollins on one year deal, etc).

So the first reason the Bills need another receiver or two is because they need to set themselves up for the long term and start breaking in a stud who can take over as the alpha in the room for Diggs in the next year or two.

The second reason the Bills need another receiver is that Stefon Diggs plays Z, and Shakir and Samuel play the slot. The only X receivers we have on the roster right now are Hollins, Shorter, and Shavers, and I'm not counting on ANY of those guys being viable starting X receivers in 2024 and beyond.

So for both short term planning (the Bills need a starting X receiver) and long term planning (the Bills need young receiver talent in the pipeline), the Bills need to spend premium capital on a wide receiver THIS YEAR. It's not a want, it's a need.

Now...the signings of Samuel and Hollins make it so that it's not a SCREAMING need that you absolutely HAVE To spend a 1st round pick on. But me personally? I'm not waiting any later than the 2nd round. I'd prefer a 1st rounder and a 4th rounder, but I'd settle for a 2nd and a 5th, something like that. Make no mistake about it, the Bills need -- and I'm almost certain WILL be spending a high pick on -- a wide receiver.

After your 500 word essay, I submit five words: “Kansas City Chiefs. Super Bowl Champions”

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

No we don't.  McD routinely turns 5th and 6th round DB's into good players, especially at safety which is the RB of defense.

We draft a young stud at WR in round 1 to take over for an aging Diggs when he starts declining. That's how you build a team that always stays good...you have deep pipelines at key positions.

Defense DOESN'T MATTER on this team. McD is going to get players schemed up to be a top 10 D regardless. They need to get to a place where they can bring firepower to destroy teams and not have to worry about the D saving them in the playoffs.  We have tried that for 5 years now, it hasn't worked.

The definition is insanity is doing the same thing over and over again even tho it doesn't work.

The offense needs to be the focal point, the D can be top 10 and they'll be fine. Do not allocate key resources to defense.   

Bates? Gone. Morse? Gone. We need a guard to pair with Torrens. Run the rock. Protect Josh. 

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

You are making sense but remember when Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, and Andre were getting old at the same time? Instead of thinking about their replacements, the Bills drafted cornerbacks. It obviously didn't work and I would hate to see this happen again. Diggs isn't getting better from where I sit and certainly isn't getting younger. Also, guards are now suddenly getting the big bucks. OL depth is wonderful to have.

We might never have another QB as talented as Josh. Now is the time to give him more weapons and protection. 

As always, jmo.

Well, mind you, just because I don’t want to spend all of our draft capital on offense doesn’t mean I want to spend it all on defense. 

I suspect that if the Bills draft a WR at 28, it means that someone they were really high on dropped to them. But if I were to bet on it, I’d put my money on a bpa defensive position of need. And then hopefully a WR that they’re high on drops to them in the second. 

I don’t love it. But I suspect that’s how Beane and McDermott might see the big picture.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Bates? Gone. Morse? Gone. We need a guard to pair with Torrens. Run the rock. Protect Josh. 

Mitch Morse - Replaced with Connor McGovern from LG

Connor McGovern at LG - Replaced with OG David Edwards

Do we need some depth Interior? Sure. Is that something you need to spend High Draft Picks on or something that will be expensive in FA?

No.

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The definition is insanity is doing the same thing over and over again even tho it doesn't work.

As to the bolded, the defense definitely hasn't mattered (in a good way) so far in the playoffs. Could have had just about any JAGs in there, and in the past couple playoff losses, we have. 

Agree wholeheartedly with the fundamental premise of your post: with a well-supported QB17, the offense can and should determine game outcomes. Defense should be an afterthought, ideally there to capitalize on leads and keep teams from scoring easily (they should be the unit tasked with playing McDermott's beloved COMPLEMENTARY football).