CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

Samuel stats have been similar to last year regardless if it was Cam Newton or Teddy Bridgewater or whomever played in Wash.  

Late-career Cam, the now-retired Bridgewater, and Sam Howell versus Josh Allen.  

Think Shakir's QB is the same as the aforementioned 3 QB's Samuel's played with.  As in, their production being similar is the comparison?  

If you do, then it's time to head back to the Sabres Board. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Of recent BILLS receivers who would Samuel compare to? Gabe Davis? John Brown? Robert Woods? Or who? 

Cole Beasley, with a dash of Emmanuel Sanders.  He's been playing mostly from the slot and is solid there, but his RB background makes him a harder RAC guy than Beasley was and he can play better than Beasley could when split out wide.  Probably less of a Football Savant than Beasley but I don't know on that.

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I just dont think he was really what this team needed.  They need to draft a WR high that can play on outside still.  So what is this 8 million a year really solving? 

Patience, Grasshopper.  Wait and see what the contract really is.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

It's a good question.  I think the narrative is that Gabe has produced more consistently with the lower percentage downfield catches he's been asked to make, but that he has untapped potential because Josh has had poor decision making in choosing to throw to Gabe, and perhaps made the wrong read on option routes with Gabe.  Pederson likely thinks with a QB who plays more in-control and in-system throwing to him, his performance will make a jump, and it may.

Imagine thinking Josh Allen is holding back a WR, I can picture him saying that out loud in a meeting and all the other coaches texting each other… “wtf, is coach drunk” lol

9 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Of recent BILLS receivers who would Samuel compare to? Gabe Davis? John Brown? Robert Woods? Or who? 

It would seem he's some sort of amalgam of McKenzie (gadget and jet sweeps), Harty (pure speed) and Shakir (size and slot receiving chops).  So, he's not a #2, but he definitely fills a role. 

1 minute ago, longtimebillsfan said:

That's all you can focus on in Beanes tenure?

It’s the biggest problem. You can argue he’s done a great job with DL depth every year, it’s doesn’t change that the WR group has been completely mismanaged.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, julian said:

Imagine thinking Josh Allen is holding back a WR, I can picture him saying that out loud in a meeting and all the other coaches texting each other… “wtf, is coach drunk” lol

Well.....context matters.  If your QB is the former #1 overall pick in the draft, is widely regarded as one of the best technical passers in the game, you're a coach who prides yourself on teaching offense, and you've already got a WR in the room who was a Bust in Buffalo but started looking like a legit NFL WR on your watch (Zay Jones), you might have a better case for yourself than otherwise.

But I don't think he puts it that way.  I think when you roll the Gabe Davis hightlights, there's a good bit of "Gabe read the defense correctly and chose the right route option there, that INT is not on Gabe" "WTF was Allen thinking, chucking it into triple coverage there, that INT is not on Gabe" and everyone else in the room nods because he's right.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Well.....context matters.  If your QB is the former #1 overall pick in the draft, is widely regarded as one of the best technical passers in the game, you're a coach who prides yourself on teaching offense, and you've already got a WR in the room who was a Bust in Buffalo but started looking like a legit NFL WR on your watch (Zay Jones), you might have a better case for yourself than otherwise.

But I don't think he puts it that way.  I think when you roll the Gabe Davis hightlights, there's a good bit of "Gabe read the defense correctly and chose the right route option there, that INT is not on Gabe" "WTF was Allen thinking, chucking it into triple coverage there, that INT is not on Gabe" and everyone else in the room nods because he's right.

I was just having a little fun lol.. it’s entirely possible they think Gabe is a better fit for their offense than he was for Buffalo.

I personally believe Josh maxed out Davis’s abilities and helped earn him that nice payday, but we’ll see how it goes, I’m certainly not rooting against him.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

You are so clever.

Thanks but I liked @FireChans "don't p!ss on our heads and tell us it's raining better" though. :thumbsup:

It's a message board we are going to draw distinctions between winning SB's versus getting beaten in the divisional round every year.    

If you think it's all the same level of accomplishment.........that's your prerogative to feel that way but the objective of the game is, in fact,  to win the SB.   

The standard is the standard and accepting that and "not enjoying" the ride are not necessarily the same thing.    Not that this past season was a joy ride for everyone involved with or following the Bills.   I mean ask Ken Dorsey if he'd have liked to have DHop.

1 minute ago, julian said:

I was just having a little fun lol.. it’s entirely possible they think Gabe is a better fit for their offense than he was for Buffalo.

I personally believe Josh maxed out Davis’s abilities and helped earn him that nice payday, but we’ll see how it goes, I’m certainly not rooting against him.

I think it's entirely possible that Gabe has fewer targets but a higher catch % and fewer interceptions against him in Jax.  But that may go with fewer receptions and lower yards.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Samuel is one of the most explosive WR's off the line and his separation yards were the same as Tyreek Hill at 3.3 avg

Would you just stop it with these facts? Getting in the way of many people’s predetermined emotional response!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dillenger4 said:

Just spoke to a good friend who works with an NFL team. Says that Samuel will most likely be "another McKenzie". Very similar player to McKenzie. Thinks we way overpaid. Take it as food for thought... just sharing.

I'm kinda mute on this signing. It feels like a glorified sherfield/harty move.

I agree 100%. Davis will be missed boys. You watch...

We will, and keep receipts… just Incase. 
name is Dillenger4, got it

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There's no "think" about it.  Samuel HAS done far better in his career, than Sherfield or Harty have done in their careers as receivers.  His worst season of play since his rookie year is about the same as their best season.

I don't expect this huge jump in his numbers simply because i expect kincaid and shakir to get greater target share, and a rookie to take a chunk out of the diggs/davis targets.  Him and shakir can play inside/out.  It helps a LOT if Diggs were to miss any time, or if we drafted someone and they struggled early or something.  Diggs was coming off the field more towards the end of the year last year, and while sherfield was probably a plus as a blocker he was mostly a minus as a WR.  

31 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I just dont think he was really what this team needed.  They need to draft a WR high that can play on outside still.  So what is this 8 million a year really solving? 

Curtis Samuel is one of the best receivers at beating man coverage in the league. 

Guess what the Bills struggled with against good defenses? Beating man coverage. 

If you look at Mahomes stats, he gets around 1500 yards of production and 10 TD's per year from the bottom of his roster -- from receiver 7-15 (this is including all pass catchers). 

Josh needs MORE viable targets to throw the ball to. And more guys that can beat man coverage quickly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

His entire body of work maybe? Or is it the meth you're taking that makes you think a guy who's been a complementary piece on offense for the last 7 years is going to suddenly emerge and become a bonafide #2 guy? Do you also believe Mack Hollins is the replacement for Diggs as well?

Ha! No to the 2nd part, but he’ll replace a couple bums we signed recently. Has his ‘entire body of work’ included a star QB? No, so you don’t know what we can expect from a solid veteran experience with his 1st real opportunity to showcase all his skills with a superstar QB. Perhaps not a mythical #2, but 30-35 plays a game will boost his numbers and he’s worthy of it. 
Now excuse me. My new batch is boiling..

Edited by Chandler#81