CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I guess since Sherfield sucked, I guess that means Stefon Diggs sucked, Jordan Poyer sucked, Micah Hyde sucked, Mitch Morse sucked, Cole Beasley sucked....

Hey we haven't won the Super Bowl yet....everybody sucks that Beane brought on!

Beane didn't bring in Poyer and Hyde that was Whaley. The 2017 off-season which pretty much for us most of our difference makers these last 7 yrs were from Whaley's front office.

2 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Beane didn't bring in Poyer and Hyde that was Whaley. The 2017 off-season which pretty much for us most of our difference makers these last 7 yrs were from Whaley's front office.

Mitch Morse, Stefon Diggs, Cole Beasley, Jon Brown, DaQuan Jones made more of a difference than anyone Whaley brought on.

If Brandon Beane were to be fired, he would get picked up immediately.

Doug Whaley was out of the NFL after being fired by the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

Curtis Samuel has a fairly unique skillset.  Comparing him to Beasley or others is a waste of time IMO.

He has spent his entire career under Ron Rivera and with the dumpster QBs he was forced to play with, sure didn't help his career.

I cannot say for sure how he will be used in Buffalo and how successful he will be.

That said, I believe he is a decent receiver, and it will be up to Brady and Josh to make the signing a very good one or not.

Personally, I am happy with the signing BUT still want an outside WR on Day 1 or Day 2.

That's where I am. I think he is *better* than what we had for a WR2, but his true value will be slot and backfield. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

There’s only one difference maker that really matters most, Josh Allen. You get the QB right, you basically write your own ticket as GM. Whaley? How many dud QB’s did he cycle through as an answer? Josh is the #1 reason we’ve risen to top tier of teams. 

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

The WR depth in this draft is strong. Why spend $8M per year on a JAG like Samuel who’s lucky to get 100 targets when you can draft a WR for a lot less money to do the same? Once again, Quintessential bad asset management by Beane. 

Also, Samuel lines up 53% of the time in the slot which will take snaps away from mostly Shakir followed by Kincaid which is a huge mistake. When Samuel lines up as a X Receiver he’ll compete for snaps with the player we draft.

In 2023, Samuel’s snap share was 56.7% which is what I envision he’ll get here in Buffalo. In my opinion that’s not a good return on investment when I could draft a WR for a lot cheaper in a strong receiver draft. 

Hollins shouldn’t have been signed for up to $3M per year either when we could’ve drafted a WR on Day 3 to do the same or more for a lot less money. 

Edited by Trust The Process

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

There’s only one difference maker that really matters most, Josh Allen. You get the QB right, you basically write your own ticket as GM. Whaley? How many dud QB’s did he cycle through as an answer? Josh is the #1 reason we’ve risen to top tier of teams. 

Well from the reports it was Whaley who wanted Mahomes and Pegs but Mcd didn't and he was the one traded him so there goes that. 

Just now, Trust The Process said:

The WR depth in this draft is strong. Why spend $8M per year on a JAG l Iike Samuel who’s lucky to get 100 targets when you can draft a WR for a lot less money to do the same? Once again, Quintessential bad asset management by Beane. 

Also, Samuel lines up 53% of the time in the slot which will take snaps away from mostly Shakir followed by Kincaid which is a huge mistake. When Samuel lines up as a X Receiver he’ll compete for snaps with the player we draft.

In 2023, Samuel’s snap share was 56.7% which is what I envision he’ll get here in Buffalo. In my opinion that’s not a good return on investment when I could draft a WR for a lot cheaper in a strong receiver draft. 

Hollins shouldn’t have been signed for up to $3M per year either when we could’ve drafted a WR on Day 3 to do the same or more for a lot less money. 

What happens if the guy in the draft isn’t ready to play or turns out like a guy like Jalen Raeger?  You know, a bust.  Samuel is a good reliable receiver that can help in many ways. Do you care more about who makes the plays or if they are getting made? After Diggs downfall late last season Samuel may take some of his snaps. Who cares if Brady gets the O running on all cylinders 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Mitch Morse, Stefon Diggs, Cole Beasley, Jon Brown, DaQuan Jones made more of a difference than anyone Whaley brought on.

2017 Off-season was huge Tre, Dawkins, Milano , Poyer and Hyde . U got some work to do bud 

DaQuan is overrated never helped when it matters where's he been the last 2 playoff yrs? Against Cinny injured and playing injured vs KC so what did he do exactly?  Diggs and I said this at the time horrible move in a loaded Wr class that pk turned out to be the best Wr in NFL . The guys u mentioned are good players but there not on the level of Tre, Milano, Dawkins and the best safety duo we probably ever had. 

Huge safety free agency class and we get nothing. 

Deep WR draft and we sign Hollins and Samuel. 

We trade Bates but we release Morse 

And we sign Morrow and depth guys instead of addressing starters. 

Once again, Beane is doing the opposite of which makes sense. He did the same thing the year we traded for Diggs. The depth at WR was strong in that draft and what Beane chose to do is trade for Diggs instead of drafting Jefferson. We shouldn’t have had to waste additional draft picks and a ton of valuable cap space on Diggs. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, BananaB said:

What happens if the guy in the draft isn’t ready to play or turns out like a guy like Jalen Raeger?  You know, a bust.  Samuel is a good reliable receiver that can help in many ways. Do you care more about who makes the plays or if they are getting made? After Diggs downfall late last season Samuel may take some of his snaps. Who cares if Brady gets the O running on all cylinders 

If they draft a bust that falls on them and they should be fired for it. McBeane are Wildcard Champs! That's what kind of team they continue to build get ready for it once again next season .

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The game has evolved past x, z and slot.  Samuel has the juice and skill set to play outside.  The advance metrics points to him being very effective in that role.  Diggs, Shakir and Samuel can line up anywhere.  So can Kincaid and Cook.  

In term of production I would point to his qbs.  Carolina and Washington have had bad qbs. I expect Samuel in a steady role has a career year.  He can do it all plus adds some of the gimmick plays and Debo Samuel stuff.  If they take a Wr in the Top 60 picks Buffalo will have the best Wr room Allen has played with.  

All of this makes sense to me.  I liked Davis's size, and the Bills lost that, but they play so much with two tight ends that I think they have the size covered.  Diggs, Knox, and Kincaid is enough in red zone, and Shakir or Samuel can be Beasley.   

And I agree, a receiver in the first two rounds would make for a formidable receiver room.  

14 minutes ago, Trust The Process said:

The WR depth in this draft is strong. Why spend $8M per year on a JAG l Iike Samuel who’s lucky to get 100 targets when you can draft a WR for a lot less money to do the same? Once again, Quintessential bad asset management by Beane. 

Because they didn’t want to go into the season with a WR room of Diggs, Shakir and rookies ..

Our OC had worked with Samuel before and knows he can fit into the scheme he is designing.. so he probably prefers to have him rather than have a rookie he doesn’t know as well…

Also … Its an odd thing … but not every rookie comes in Year 1 Week 1 with the experience, confidence and knowledge of a vet …

Hollins will be the Sherfield replacement … plays some Teams and gets about 40 plays for the year 

Edited by Aussie Joe

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

If they draft a bust that falls on them and they should be fired for it. McBeane are Wildcard Champs! That's what kind of team they continue to build get ready for it once again next season .

I agree. I don’t have Super Bowl expectations but I think Samuel can help this team. 

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Question: you've played with a mobile QB before in Can Newton. What's it going to be like playing with Josh Allen and his ability to extend plays?

Answer: my job is to get open as fast as possible so maybe he doesn't have to scramble as much. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Because they didn’t want to go into the season with a WR room of Diggs, Shakir and rookies ..

Our OC had worked with Samuel before and knows he can fit into the scheme he is designing.. so he probably prefers to have him rather than have a rookie he doesn’t know as well…

Also … Its an odd thing … but not every rookie comes in Year 1 Week 1 with the experience, confidence and knowledge of a vet …

Hollins will be the Sherfield replacement … plays some Teams and gets about 40 plays for the year 

My complaint with Beane is bad asset management and for not being skilled at reading the draft board in a WR rich draft. 

I can replace Davis with a rookie in the first 2 rounds of the draft for a lot less money than what we paid Samuel who only plays 58% of the snaps. The rookie I draft can be Diggs future replacement with a snap count similar to Diggs. Beane just need to do his job and hit on the receiver he drafts. It’s a calculated risk. 

I can replace Sherfield with a day 3 rookie WR who’s a lot cheaper with much more upside than Hollins. 

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Question: you've played with a mobile QB before in Can Newton. What's it going to be like playing with Josh Allen and his ability to extend plays?

Answer: my job is to get open as fast as possible so maybe he doesn't have to scramble as much. 

Shark Tank Good Answer GIF by ABC Network

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Every one of those players you mentioned cost A LOT to acquire/sign.

Whaley was a good pro personnel man.    He didn't have full control of football OPS and the checkbook like McBeane were given by Pegula so he ended up operating with a smaller budget.  So in addition to getting credit for signing future All Pro's Hyde and Poyer to great deals here are some of Whaley's other pro personnel gems:

Tyrod.........$2M deal turned in a Pro Bowl season

Lorenzo Alexander........ $885K turned into 12.5 sacks 76 tackles 22 QB hits and an All Pro second team

Zach Brown........$1.25M lead NFL in tackles and also All Pro second team

Try as he might Beane hasn't had even one value signing pan out anywhere close to those 5. 

Beane is the much better GM and more specifically a tremendous executive/confidence man...........but there isn't any comparison with regard to pro personnel(which was Whaley's specialty).

28 minutes ago, Trust The Process said:

The WR depth in this draft is strong. Why spend $8M per year on a JAG like Samuel who’s lucky to get 100 targets when you can draft a WR for a lot less money to do the same? Once again, Quintessential bad asset management by Beane. 

You presume to know how CS will be utilized.

You shouldn’t.