Does Beane have anymore significant moves left in his bag of tricks?

7 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think Beane has something sexy coming in next few days.  He spent come cash resigning a few key guys, and so far has made some depth signings.  I think he’s gonna bring in at least one bigger name, either on the DL or FS position.

I hope i'm wrong, but i just don't see it happening.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It's very concerning how some people don't understand the money crunch Beane has put this team in.

Money crunch?  You mean winning?  

If you have no cap room it means you better be a great team.  We keep getting to the final 4 in the AFC every year so we must be doing something right.   

Protect Josh and nothing else matters.  

*Pounds the table for a Center in the draft*

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I think Beane has something sexy coming in next few days.  He spent come cash resigning a few key guys, and so far has made some depth signings.  I think he’s gonna bring in at least one bigger name, either on the DL or FS position.

Ok with what money?  We have to wait until whites money comes off the books 6/1 to sign draft picks.

There are no sexy moves coming.  Fans need to wake up and understand, we are broke.   We went all in, ran it back blah blah blah 1 year too many and now we have to pay for it.  

Beane understands this.  Von and Diggs contracts are still albatross' around this teams neck.

I highly doubt that we see any "big splash" deals.

Instead, I think he will be patient, wait a few days until all of the hype dies down -- and pick up some depth/low key guys for modest contracts on 1-2-year deals.

While I trust McD and the coaching staff to make do with these kinds of players in the secondary, I think (aside from another possible under-the-radar signing) we will have to wait until the draft to find a meaningful pickup at the position that we all covet the most, WR.

2 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

Instead, I think he will be patient, wait a few days until all of the hype dies down -- and pick up some depth/low key guys for modest contracts on 1-2-year deals.

Isn’t that what he has been doing now?

15 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Ok with what money?  We have to wait until whites money comes off the books 6/1 to sign draft picks.

There are no sexy moves coming.  Fans need to wake up and understand, we are broke.   We went all in, ran it back blah blah blah 1 year too many and now we have to pay for it.  

Beane understands this.  Von and Diggs contracts are still albatross' around this teams neck.

If they’ve got no money, why were they even thinking they had a shot w Armstead?

5 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

If they’ve got no money, why were they even thinking they had a shot w Armstead?

Did we hear it from Beane or 3rd party sources?  Every year it's someone like Armstead,DHop etc.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

And it's been said you can find those in the 5th and 6th rounds.  They just need a high football IQ.  No need to spend on a safety right now.

Yeah okay.

let’s look at 2023. 

There were 6 safeties drafted in the fifth round. 

They started

0 (IR)

0 games, respectively. 

Love that.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yeah okay.

let’s look at 2023. 

There were 6 safeties drafted in the fifth round. 

They started

0 (IR)

0 games, respectively. 

Love that.

Michah Hyde 5th round

Jordan Poyer 7th round.

Checkmate.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoonerBillsFan said:

Lmao. Keep trying. 

If your argument is that 5th and 7th round safeties can grow into quality and even high-end starters after a couple of years, Poyer and Hyde are great examples.

If your argument is that 5th and 7th round safeties can start right away and be serviceable, they are terrible examples.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, stinky finger said:

Well then - it’s a good thing we don’t have a game next week.

It’s a work in progress. I’m confident the WR position will be addressed sufficiently. It’s still early. 

Hence the discussions.  

LOL 

But it does elevate the need for a top, not some 2nd or 3rd rate, WR.  Since we don't have the money, seemingly we'd have to draft one at 28th.  I Waiting until our 60th on top of being risky, isn't wise in our situation.  

Either way, to your implication of what's fair, that doesn't answer the mail.  

Edited by PBF81

2 hours ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

I'd love to see KJ Osborn sign here, for competition's sake - he'd upgrade our weaponry experience-wise

Still relatively young and was productive despite being an afterthought in Minnesota

Probably wouldn't cost Beane a fortune to sell him on coming in here to catch lasers from Josh

Well, maybe, as a sentimental pick, but does he really check the necessary box(es) to start.  

He seems like a better third WR and he's more of a slot WR anyway, which we already have in Shakir.  

There's a reason why he was drafted in the 5th round.  From what I just read, it sounds as if he's not the best route-runner and he doesn't possess any particular speed.  People here would be all over him like white on rice after his first bad game.  

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

We have Josh Allen, we don't need any other players

For as humorous as that is, and oddly, that seems to be a huge part of McD's offensive philosophy.  

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, maybe, as a sentimental pick, but does he really check the necessary box(es) to start.  

He seems like a better third WR and he's more of a slot WR anyway, which we already have in Shakir.  

There's a reason why he was drafted in the 5th round.  From what I just read, it sounds as if he's not the best route-runner and he doesn't possess any particular speed.  People here would be all over him like white on rice after his first bad game.  

welp, to address your concerns, a Curtis Samuel signing should certainly make you feel better! 😅

I didn't foresee any 3 yr/30 million dollar contracts to be allocated to the WR room, but I like it!

let Josh cook!

6 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

welp, to address your concerns, a Curtis Samuel signing should certainly make you feel better! 😅

I didn't foresee any 3 yr/30 million dollar contracts to be allocated to the WR room, but I like it!

let Josh cook!

It might help, but in analyzing what Samuel is, he's a slot WR to start, or at least was in Washington.  In Carolina he was a starter at times, on the outside, but the third receiver statistially.  His competition for starting time wasn't exactly staunch in either Carolina or Washington after DJ Moore, which raises questions as to why he couldn't perform better.  

The last two seasons as Washington's second-leading receiver, he averaged 600+ yards and 4 TDs per season.  

In short, how much better is he than a bunch of other journeymen WRs that have come through here in recent years.  Having Allen will obviously help, but not sure it answers the mail on our situation.  

As always, time will tell.  The forum here will let you know quickly whether he's anteing up or not.  LOL  

46 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

But it does elevate the need for a top, not some 2nd or 3rd rate, WR.  Since we don't have the money, seemingly we'd have to draft one at 28th.  I Waiting until our 60th on top of being risky, isn't wise in our situation.  

I'm firmly in club "draft a WR early"

But I do feel obliged to point out that, if we accept the premise that the most talented NFL-ready players are generally drafted in the first 3 rounds and therefore consider 5th round, pick 177 Puka Nacua a "unicorn" or rifle shot that the odds are low we replicate....the most successful WR in last year's draft was Rashee Rice, drafted in the 2nd round at pick 55.  2nd prize Jordan Addison, drafted in the 1st round at pick 23.

The point being, you can't universally apply "drafted earlier = better".

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm firmly in club "draft a WR early"

But I do feel obliged to point out that, if we accept the premise that the most talented NFL-ready players are generally drafted in the first 3 rounds and therefore consider 5th round, pick 177 Puka Nacua a "unicorn" or rifle shot that the odds are low we replicate....the most successful WR in last year's draft was Rashee Rice, drafted in the 2nd round at pick 55.  2nd prize Jordan Addison, drafted in the 1st round at pick 23.

The point being, you can't universally apply "drafted earlier = better".

Of course not, that's common sense, but the traditional premise that, as you point out, the most talented NFL-ready players are generally drafted in the first 3 rounds, and I'd bump that up to the first 2 rounds, is in play if we want to minimize our risk in finding one.  

Either way, I'm a step ahead of you there.  I've already scoured the draft lists for the past few years.  Of all the WRs drafted last year, only Nacua put up over 1,000 yards and only four put up 7+ TDs.  

Besides, if Beane's record for WRs that late proves anything, it's that we're not likely to find that unicorn.  

This is a good draft to go WR, or possibly trade down a few spots if more than one of the WRs we want are still there, in the 1st at 28th.  The best NFL receiver in this draft may very well be the 4th, 5th, or 6th WR taken.  My money would go on Harrison Jr. but who knows after that.  

Edited by PBF81

4 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It's very concerning how some people don't understand the money crunch Beane has put this team in.

The ridiculous criticism of Brandon Beane here is what is concerning. 

It just shows that some people JUST DON'T HAVE the ability to critically think about anything.

The last 3-4 days, all I hear is whining and crying that we don't have the money to be hugely active in Free Agency.  We need to make a big splash to get over the hump and can't.  They say this is proof that Beane has "mismanaged" the salary cap, and totally SUCKS as a GM.

But what bad contracts are draining away the Bills cap space?  The most obvious one is of course Von Miller... which ironically is the ONLY big FA splash Beane has made in the past 3-4 years!!!!   His goal was to get over the hump against the Kansas City Chiefs.  So is Beane really stupid for wasting money on an overpaid Free Agent, or is he really stupid for sitting on his hands and waiting for bargains?????  Which one is it?  Make up your minds!!!

Other people are upset we had to release veterans like Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Mitch Morse, etc. to get under the cap.  But the same people are somehow upset we CAN'T get rid of Stefon Diggs this year because of his dead cap.  So do we want Beane to cut aging veterans or not???  Which one is it?  Make up your minds!!!

Drafting well and having good players puts every team in salary cap trouble eventually.  Not counting Sean McDermott's first draft (which netted us Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano), we have now seen three of Beane's drafts reach the expiration of their rookie contracts.  Out of the 23 players he picked, 13 are starting for either the Bills or another team.  That's pretty good.  Here is the list:  

- Josh Allen, Taron Johnson, Ed Oliver, Dawson Knox, AJ Epenesa and Tyler Bass are starters for us.

- Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Wyatt Teller, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, Gabe Davis and Dane Jackson are starting for other NFL teams.  

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFan said:

When I look at the roster I see 40 slots pretty much locked in already for next season.  Of those 40 I see 5 guys who could potentially get cut (Martin, Shorter, Anderson, Van Denmark and Spector), with Martin being the most vulnerable. 

The only starting job still up for grabs are the replacements for Davis and Poyer at WR & S respectively. 

I think Beane's biggest remain move before the draft will be getting a replacement for Poyer (I'm assuming the Rapp is Hyde's replacement).  Sadly, the FA safety market is getting pretty thin.  How much for Quandre Diggs on a 1 yr deal?

Could Beane still be looking to add a significant piece the defensive front?  

Isn't it ironic that you felt compelled to start this thread to push your hate for Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott while the Bills were finalizing the deal for Curtis Samuel?

6 hours ago, Sweats said:

As far as FA goes, you can pretty well put that baby to bed.

It's been a long, longgggggggg time since i've looked forward this much to a draft. I've got a feeling Beane is going to bundle up some picks and wheel and deal.

I guess the Bills aren't going to bed early on this FA period.   IIRC, Beane & Company keep busy throughout the preseason and during the season (hello, Rasul Douglas!)

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

IMO Beane may look to do Armstead & Samuel

Winner, winner!  Chicken dinner!

31 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

It just shows that some people JUST DON'T HAVE the ability to critically think about anything.

The last 3-4 days, all I hear is whining and crying that we don't have the money to be hugely active in Free Agency.  We need to make a big splash to get over the hump and can't.  They say this is proof that Beane has "mismanaged" the salary cap, and totally SUCKS as a GM.

But what bad contracts are draining away the Bills cap space?  The most obvious one is of course Von Miller... which ironically is the ONLY big FA splash Beane has made in the past 3-4 years!!!!   His goal was to get over the hump against the Kansas City Chiefs.  So is Beane really stupid for wasting money on an overpaid Free Agent, or is he really stupid for sitting on his hands and waiting for bargains?????  Which one is it?  Make up your minds!!!

Other people are upset we had to release veterans like Tre White, Jordan Poyer, Mitch Morse, etc. to get under the cap.  But the same people are somehow upset we CAN'T get rid of Stefon Diggs this year because of his dead cap.  So do we want Beane to cut aging veterans or not???  Which one is it?  Make up your minds!!!

Drafting well and having good players puts every team in salary cap trouble eventually.  Not counting Sean McDermott's first draft (which netted us Tre White, Dion Dawkins and Matt Milano), we have now seen three of Beane's drafts reach the expiration of their rookie contracts.  Out of the 23 players he picked, 13 are starting for either the Bills or another team.  That's pretty good.  Here is the list:  

- Josh Allen, Taron Johnson, Ed Oliver, Dawson Knox, AJ Epenesa and Tyler Bass are starters for us.

- Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Wyatt Teller, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, Gabe Davis and Dane Jackson are starting for other NFL teams.  

:thumbsup:

I don't get the hatred for Beane, either.    At worse, he's the second best GM the Bills have ever had, and since he's still actively managing the Bills, he may surpass Bill Polian by winning a Super Bowl. 

His drafting has been excellent despite the whining of his detractors.  He wheeled and dealed to move up in the draft to grab Josh Allen, a generational talent at QB.  He pulled off the trade to give Allen his WR1, Stephon Diggs.  None of his first round picks have been busts, although a couple haven't been quite good enough.  Even among his 2nd round picks, I think only two, Cody Ford and Boogie Basham, have been outright busts.  Compare that to the drafting records of other GMs around the NFL in recent years.  

What I like best is that Beane, though, is his forward thinking; he's not making making moves willy-nilly but prepares for future moves, and keeps his options open. He always has a plan or he comes up with a good one on the fly if necessary.  He had Terrel Bernard ready to replace Tremaine Edmunds in 2023.   He traded for Rasul Douglas to replace the injured Tre White whom he knew in October, 2023 he wasn't going to keep for 2024.  Beane's detractors keep pushing the image that Beane doesn't know what he's doing but reality says that the Bills GM has his proverbial ducks all in a proverbial row.   

Just now, SoTier said:

Isn't it ironic that you felt compelled to start this thread to push your hate for Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott while the Bills were finalizing the deal for Curtis Samuel?

I’m very happy in general with McD and Beane.  I wrote that the calls here to fire McD foolish (to put it nicely).

I also wrote that I was very happy with the work Beane did this offseason except the 2 WR signings.  So your characterization of this thread is completely wrong.  Not a surprise really.

4 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It might help, but in analyzing what Samuel is, he's a slot WR to start, or at least was in Washington.  In Carolina he was a starter at times, on the outside, but the third receiver statistially.  His competition for starting time wasn't exactly staunch in either Carolina or Washington after DJ Moore, which raises questions as to why he couldn't perform better.  

The last two seasons as Washington's second-leading receiver, he averaged 600+ yards and 4 TDs per season.  

In short, how much better is he than a bunch of other journeymen WRs that have come through here in recent years.  Having Allen will obviously help, but not sure it answers the mail on our situation.  

As always, time will tell.  The forum here will let you know quickly whether he's anteing up or not.  LOL  

How many of the guys who've come through here have managed 600+ and four TDs? Barring the ones who we all feel were successful for at least a season or two, John Brown, Cole Beasley and Emmanuel Sanders, I can't think of any.

IMO we've now seen our big FA receivers for this year.

But I still expect a WR in the first or second round. Maaaaaaaaaybe a third, but probably first two. That's my guess.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

How many of the guys who've come through here have managed 600+ and four TDs? Barring the ones who we all feel were successful for at least a season or two, John Brown, Cole Beasley and Emmanuel Sanders, I can't think of any.

IMO we've now seen our big FA receivers for this year.

But I still expect a WR in the first or second round. Maaaaaaaaaybe a third, but probably first two. That's my guess.

That's pretty much the point.  What we've signed are more support type WRs, not anything that's going to solve the problem we have at WR.  

Again, not sure how we avoid being forced to take a WR with our 28th.  ... barring  slight trade up or down.  

Samuel's a decent signing, but there's the typical overreaction to it as well.  

As usual, nothing we do or say changes anything, we'll see how it shakes out.  

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Has there been a lot of criticism of Beane in these threads?  

I  haven't criticized Beane at all in 2024 so far, but let's be honest, whatever situation that we're in, this has been his roster for 6 drafts going on 7 now.  

So if people are critical, Beane would seem to be the core person to direct their discontent, no?  

Since we're on the topic however, if there's one reason to consider criticizing him, wouldn't it be the WR situation?  We haven't had a season yet on his watch where people here have been satisfied with our WRs as an entire unit.  

Now we're heading into a draft with arguably one of the weakest WR situations we've had since when, 2019?  The consensus opinion here is that Diggs has lost a step and is no longer a solid #1.  We have no #2, only Shakir in the slot, now Samuel and Hollins to compete with him, neither having held down a #2 spot well before.  

Beane hasn't drafted a WR on days 1 or 2 on his 6-year draft watch.  Isn't that worthy of criticism?  Not necessarily suggestive that he should be fired or anything, but certainly something that is an issue due to his management of the roster, no?  

Simply playing a little devil's advocate.  People point out a lot of things wrong with our team, but it's never anyone's fault.