Bills re-signing Ty Johnson

bills742

26 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't think you can get much better at RB3 than what Johnson gave the Bills last season.

Aside from playing special teams, he also ran the ball with burst and power and caught it well out of the backfield.

He's probably also making vet minimum or close to it.

Good signing.

Agreed. He certainly passed the eyeball test last season and is a classic case of why RBs are regarded as a dime a dozen.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Was Harris a 1 year deal?  Thought it was a two but I could be mistaken.

1 year only and I doubt he comes back

12 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Edited by KDIGGZ

15 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I could have sworn there was reports that Harris thinking of retiring after that injury, but yes he was a 1 year deal. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep! Can even say the same about James Cook

You can say the same about everyone except for Diggs, honestly. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Solid move there’s a couple teams you could make the case TY could be RB1. Now RB room is set even if they contract a guy which they probably will anyway.

lol name 1

he's on his 3rd team in 5 seasons and has never had 275 yards rushing.  In Detroit, he couldn't beat out Bo Scarborough for the RB@.  In NYJ, he couldn't beat out Tevin Coleman or Zonovan Knight---and those were bad rushing Offenses, the bar was low.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

This is HUGE!!! Cook and Ty are a perfect 1/2.

Maybe get a cheap vet or late draft pick to round out the room. 

Agreed. If Corum falls to the mid rounds he’d be the perfect compliment to these 2

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It really wasn't much: 132 yards rushing and 88 receiving.  

Wouldn't it have been better to spread those touches (3-4 per game for Johnson) amongst Murray and Cook?

Bills drafted Singletary and Moss and ultimately let them go because they didn't want to pay them second contract money down the road for what they were getting (the Bills got Hines for Moss--oof).  They replaced these two, ultimately, with Murray and Johnson--the former an ancient journeyman, the  latter a career journeyman scrub.

No.

Cook needs a breather at times. He's not the biggest guy in the world. 

When those breathers were needed, Johnson showed more as a runner and receiver from midseason onward than Murray did. You give the touches to the guy that earns them. Johnson earned them.

Johnson posted 4.4 yards per carry.
Cook 4.7.
Murray 3.8. 

That means that after Cook, the next most productive guy when toting the rock was Ty Johnson. So why give those carries to Murray?

I want and expect the Bills to draft or sign an RB2. But when your RB3 can run it for 4.4 yards a pop, catch the ball, and provide a change of pace for your RB1 when needed while ALSO playing special teams -- that's a useful player. That's why I'm glad they re-signed Johnson.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

it is refreshing to read a move that has nearly no controversy attached. Overall POSITIVE move.  Good for him! and hopefully we fans too moving forward.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2