Morse Released

Just now, major said:

Soft rebuild 

sure also just normal team building.  

The league and the cap leave little room for old and declining players who make considerable amounts of money.  

I imagine the front office had this mapped out as they gave out the contracts with a few scenarios being different.

Releasing/trading Diggs, dawkins, milano etc....would seem like a time to say rebuild.

Most of these players sans the two starting safeties can be replaced on some level via the draft or mid level free agency after the draft.  

A lot of leadership and intelligence has left the locker room along with their cap numbers however and its nearly impossible to know how or when you can replace those qualities in players.  

Von Miller needs to be dealt with imo, there is no point in his being on the roster except for the cap ramifications.

• Agree 1

I like the move, but trading bates for a vending machine sandwich seems like a bad move with this on the horizon. Would've made more sense to have a guy that can play every spot on the oline and compete for starting G in my opinion. Opens yet another OL hole.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

Damn. Im surprised. Why is Beane messing around with the O-Line? 

Cap reset. It has to be done to move forward in 2025 and beyond. 2024 won’t be a Super Bowl team but fixing the cap now increases the chances the teams from 2025 onward can actually compete for a championship. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wow, didn't expect this after the Bates trade.  I had expected it before the Bates trade just because his contract was one of the most obvious to cut.  

This is supposed to be a great draft for OL too, not sure what the C depth looks like, haven't had time to dive too much into it as I have spent what little I have had on the WR's.  So wonder if they are going to look at drafting a C as well somewhere in this draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

sure also just normal team building.  

The league and the cap leave little room for old and declining players who make considerable amounts of money.  

I imagine the front office had this mapped out as they gave out the contracts with a few scenarios being different.

Releasing/trading Diggs, dawkins, milano etc....would seem like a time to say rebuild.

Most of these players sans the two starting safeties can be replaced on some level via the draft or mid level free agency after the draft.  

A lot of leadership and intelligence has left the locker room along with their cap numbers however and its nearly impossible to know how or when you can replace those qualities in players.  

Von Miller needs to be dealt with imo, there is no point in his being on the roster except for the cap ramifications.

Miller will have a post June 1st cut designation. I dot see it until after the draft though

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Although I brought this option up we could still see Morse return on a lower contract or someone else to player Center before the season starts.

I'd doubt it. The moves have included announcing McGovern is the new Center and Edwards was re-signed to start at Guard. I don't see Morse coming back to be a depth piece after being replaced.

I’m a bit shocked at this one. I thought releasing Bates meant Morse was a lock. 

I am no guru if feels like Bates to center and keeping McGovern at guard may have been the better option over signing Edward’s.

3 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

I think this McGovern to center thing is the exact type of thing you’d want out there if you’re the Bills and targeting a center in the draft. 

Also people shouldn't sleep on Alec Anderson there, wouldn't be the most surprising if him or a rookie battle it out for the spot and McGovern continues to cement the LG spot.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Blitz said:

RIP 2019--2023 run.  

It's been more fun than the 1989-1993 run.  

Better team?  No.  But more fun.

And Allen is still 3 years younger than when Kelly got to his first SB.  

Yep. Tread water in 2024, fix the cap and get back on with the business of trying to win championships in 2025 onward. This is all necessary. 

18 minutes ago, Beast said:

Not a fan of this.

We will be taking a clear step back next season.

It HAS to happen. I really hope they eat the ***** sandwich that is the Von Miller Albatross Contract (tm), too.

Thought that cutting Morse was on the cards since the start of the offseason …

Then changed by mind yesterday when they traded Bates … Beane always surprises…

I need to take a look in more detail at the top C draft prospects … think a Day 2 pick could be in play 

6 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

We just,possibly, blew up the best part of the team.  We finally had the OL set

Makes me think they might like someone they saw last week at the combine.

• Agree 1

Just now, Billznut said:

Yep. Tread water in 2024, fix the cap and get back on with the business of trying to win championships in 2025 onward. This is all necessary. 

IMO if they succeed in rebuilding the defensive line they are still as much of a threat to win a championship in 24 as in any other time.

I don't think anything that has happened has changed that especially since they may make some mid level signings after the draft that turn out to be better than imagined like Floyd.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

It HAS to happen. I really hope they eat the ***** sandwich that is the Von Miller Albatross Contract (tm), too.

I’d like that as well but it won’t happen because it will create too much dead cap space.