NFL Scouting Combine 2024

KingBoots8

Beane was on "moving the chains" on SXM.  Didn't say anything new except that his intention it to have us under the cap by next week. 

Then it's looking at what they have, figuring out who they can bring back then looking at what's left over that can be used on free agents outside the org

19 hours ago, BBFL said:

Pairing all that in, maybe a trade up is inevitable? There is a lot of great talent in this draft @ WR. Though only a handful of guys who are seen as legitimate #1 dominant guys. 

I'd prefer not to trade up. Really hate seeing a rd 3-5 pick used for a trade-up when there is never really a "sure thing".

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

I don't understand why weighing in at 366 is good news for Sweat. It's a lot like the opposite. 

I think as evidenced by the fact that he skipped the previous weigh in, there was fear he was going to weigh in significantly heavier than this lol

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

I think as evidenced by the fact that he skipped the previous weigh in, there was fear he was going to weigh in significantly heavier than this lol

Teams/analysts were looking for him to get down below 350. At this weight his testing results will probably be adversely affected. Players do all sorts of things to manage their combine weight - Maybin, Bryce Young- the fact that he's done nothing to get it down is a very bad look. He could drop.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Teams/analysts were looking for him to get down below 350. At this weight his testing results will probably be adversely affected. Players do all sorts of things to manage their combine weight - Maybin, Bryce Young- the fact that he's done nothing to get it down is a very bad look. He could drop.

good. Maybe he’ll reach pick 60 

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I don't understand why weighing in at 366 is good news for Sweat. It's a lot like the opposite. 

If it's his playing weight, which he played at a very high level, I see it as a plus. At least he didn't put on the Dawkins 40 during the offseason 

19 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

good. Maybe he’ll reach pick 60 

He's in the (top of the )second tier of DTs. I'm thinking he could easily fall into the third round.

1 minute ago, Prospector said:

If it's his playing weight, which he played at a very high level, I see it as a plus. At least he didn't put on the Dawkins 40 during the offseason 

He played at that weight in college. Plus at 366 how many game reps do you think you could expect from him? Maybe less of an issue for a team that relies heavily on a rotation but most teams would be looking for more from a highly drafted DT.

49 minutes ago, Prospector said:

Lmao the Dawkins bashing is Soo stupid and old

He's literally playing the toughest line position in the NFL and he's our most consistent lineman... Consistently left one-on-one

There's not a lineman alive who doesn't carry 20 30+ extra pounds in the off season... That's why you have OTAs and minicamp and training camp... Multiple sessions to get into shape the correct way

No lineman walk around their playing weight in the offseason because you are losing weight throughout TC and the season... That's a fact

If you come into training camp 325 lb as a lineman... You're going to be leaving at 310 lb... Some lineman lose 30+ pounds

Dawkins plays at around 320... And clearly carried a lot of water weight... I don't care if he's 355 lb in February

He certainly wasn't 355 in August 

Just look at the way he moves on a football field... He's a freak athlete for a guy his size... As long as you can keep your athleticism having more mass will never hurt you especially on the line

If he was moving in quicksand it could be a problem but Dion is a freak athlete.. I'd be more worried about his age than how he trains

Edited by Buffalo716

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Dude had to skip the Senior Bowl weigh in to make sure he could get down to 366 lol. I fear for his health.

That is a lot of brisket, red beans and rice and cornbread...just for fun, I went and calculated his maintenance calories for him to maintain that weight and he needs to consume 5500 calories a day. That's craziness.

Now I see why those NFL lineman lose so much weight when they retire...literally all you have to do is eat like a normal person and you can lose 60 lbs like nothing.

Edited by Big Turk

On 2/27/2024 at 7:01 PM, TBBills Fan said:

Beane was on "moving the chains" on SXM.  Didn't say anything new except that his intention it to have us under the cap by next week. 

Then it's looking at what they have, figuring out who they can bring back then looking at what's left over that can be used on free agents outside the org

Next week... that's a lot of moves and deals quickly

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Lmao the Dawkins bashing is Soo stupid and old

He's literally playing the toughest line position in the NFL and he's our most consistent lineman

There's not a lineman alive who doesn't carry 20 30 40 extra pounds in the off season... That's why you have OTAs and minicamp and training camp... Multiple sessions to get into shape the correct way

No lineman walk around they're playing weight in the offseason because you are losing weight throughout the season and TC... That's a fact

If you come into training camp 325 lb as a lineman... You're going to be leaving at 310 lb... Some lineman lose 30+ pounds

Dawkins plays at around 320... And clearly carried a lot of water weight... I don't care if he's 355 lb in February

He certainly wasn't 355 in August 

Just look at the way he moves on a football field... He's a freak athlete for a guy his size... As long as you can keep your athleticism having more mass will never hurt you anymore well especially on the line

If he was moving in quicksand it could be a problem but Dion is a freak athlete

Don't think all of this fact or accurate... but good job coming to the rescue

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Prospector said:

Don't think all of this fact or accurate... but good job coming to the rescue

I know that lineman definitely lose 20-30 lb at training camp

All the time

And if your a lineman if you can gain more mass while keeping the same speed and athleticism that's also never a bad thing

Dion being a road grader at 330..  is way more imposing than being 310

I've also had his back here for years and said the same thing last year when everybody was bashing him and I said it's not a problem he's our best lineman

Thanks for playing

https://www.nfl.com/news/uncrustables-weigh-ins-and-h2o-how-nfl-s-offensive-defensive-linemen-manage-thei

Wilkin says he loses 10 lb a practice

Now you replenish so you don't become malnourished... But it's very easy to lose 20-30 lb in a training camp as a big guy

You obviously don't want a wide receiver coming in 30 lb heavy.. it's not the end of the world for a lineman who is a veteran and knows what he needs to do

Edited by Buffalo716

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If we are going the DT route in like round 2 give me Kris Jenkins from Michigan and I’m calling it a day 

I think there will be more quality DT options at 60 than WR imo.  

6 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If we are going the DT route in like round 2 give me Kris Jenkins from Michigan and I’m calling it a day 

Love Jenkins at 60. I hope we go WR, DT, DE, S in the first 4 rounds provided we keep all those picks. I’d be ok with moving that order around depending on how the draft falls but, ideally, I’d love to see something like this (pre-combine, pre FA):

rd 1: WR Franklin

rd 2: DT Jenkins

rd 3: BPA for DE (Dorlus/Elliss), S (Bishop/Hicks), or WR (Wilson/Thrash)

rd 4: BPA same as above, preferably for a position not drafted yet unless someone really falls

• Like (+1) 1

Early results: Fiske is a freak. Currently leads for vertical jump, broad jump, and ran 4.78 40-yard time

Maason smith came in a touch over 5s, looked comfortable post-injury (knee). 

Mekhi Wingo was at 4.87

2nd runs about to start

DeWayne Carter keeps jumping a touch too early

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Love Jenkins at 60. I hope we go WR, DT, DE, S in the first 4 rounds provided we keep all those picks. I’d be ok with moving that order around depending on how the draft falls but, ideally, I’d love to see something like this (pre-combine, pre FA):

rd 1: WR Franklin

rd 2: DT Jenkins

rd 3: BPA for DE (Dorlus/Elliss), S (Bishop/Hicks), or WR (Wilson/Thrash)

rd 4: BPA same as above, preferably for a position not drafted yet unless someone really falls

Is that Kris Jenkins son? Sign me up, dude was a monster.

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I know that lineman definitely lose 20-30 lb at training camp

All the time

And if your a lineman if you can gain more mass while keeping the same speed and athleticism that's also never a bad thing

Dion being a road grader at 330..  is way more imposing than being 310

I've also had his back here for years and said the same thing last year when everybody was bashing him and I said it's not a problem he's our best lineman

Thanks for playing

https://www.nfl.com/news/uncrustables-weigh-ins-and-h2o-how-nfl-s-offensive-defensive-linemen-manage-thei

Wilkin says he loses 10 lb a practice

Now you replenish so you don't become malnourished... But it's very easy to lose 20-30 lb in a training camp as a big guy

You obviously don't want a wide receiver coming in 30 lb heavy.. it's not the end of the world for a lineman who is a veteran and knows what he needs to do

Training Camp and preseason isn't meant to get a player into shape. They should already have their conditioning pretty well maintained, and camp helps fine tune the conditioning to game condition. It is not designed to undo an entire offseason of being an out of shape slug. Dion has started multiple REGULAR seasons out of shape and looking sluggish and slow. As the seasons progressed he slowly got better and better as he was getting into better shape. There are ways to keep weight up during the season, just as there are ways to not show up completely out of shape when camp starts... (FYI, this has nothing to do with his athletic freakishness)

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Don’t care if this guy proves to be the greatest CB prospect in history, Beane should stay as far away as possible.

This is both hilarious and sad.

It's like a young adult saying, "I don't believe in gravity."

Also an indictment of the athlete-scholarship system where total idiots not only get into a school but often emerge with a university degree.

Fiske is an absolute stud. He’s 100% a 3 tech but as an FSU guy he is my favorite prospect by far from FSU. Great player, supposedly a great guy and is a monster interior player despite being 292. He’s going to go in round 2. if he was 315 he’d be going top 15 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 1

Dorlus ran 4.85 and 4.91, great series for him

Eboigbe was something like 5.18 and 5.21

Fiske at 4.78 and 4.81 - the fastest so far today and leading in all the jump metrics as well

Gabe Hall in at 5.06 and 5.04

Marcus Harris 5.08 and 5.07

Mckinnley Jackson 5.27 and 5.26

Kris Jenkins 5.02 and 4.91 - nice second run!

Logan Lee: 5.05 and 5.06

Zion Logue: 5.14 and 5.22 - bad start 

Byron Murphy Ii: 4.88 and 4.9 -

Myles Murphy: 5.21 and 5.25

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Prospector said:

Training Camp and preseason isn't meant to get a player into shape. They should already have their conditioning pretty well maintained, and camp helps fine tune the conditioning to game condition. It is not designed to undo an entire offseason of being an out of shape slug. Dion has started multiple REGULAR seasons out of shape and looking sluggish and slow. As the seasons progressed he slowly got better and better as he was getting into better shape. There are ways to keep weight up during the season, just as there are ways to not show up completely out of shape when camp starts... (FYI, this has nothing to do with his athletic freakishness)

Even when he starts slow he's not a bad football player and it's not because of his weight

If he was 410 lb it would be concerning 

He has never been a liability on the field and he's always been ready to play

He is not a finesse tackle he is a road grader... He uses mass to lean on people... To be physically imposing he needs to be as big as possible while maintaining his athleticism

It's not a problem if he's 30 lb overweight... In February

He certainly is not 30 lb overweight in September 

Being a professional football player is like being a professional boxer.. you can't stay in peak boxing condition 52 weeks straight

That's why they go to a training camp for a fight and physically get into the best boxing shape.. you cannot maintain that peak form for 52 weeks

Football players also cannot maintain that for 52 weeks and you have to find a balance... You definitely don't want to peek in September

Dion Dawkins is a naturally huge man and if his balance.. is gaining 30 lb in the off-season 

As a 6'5 man who could carry alot of weight that is not the worst thing .. especially for a position that they call the big uglies... They're called that for a reason they are big boys

Until he shows he can't move it's not a problem

Edited by Buffalo716

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Fiske is an absolute stud. He’s 100% a 3 tech but as an FSU guy he is my favorite prospect by far from FSU. Great player, supposedly a great guy and is a monster interior player despite being 292. He’s going to go in round 2. if he was 315 he’d be going top 15 

With what he is doing today and what he did at Senior Bowl he may go in 1st

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Even when he starts slow he's not a bad football player and it's not because of his weight

If he was 410 lb it would be concerning 

He has never been a liability on the field and he's always been ready to play

He is not a finesse tackle he is a road grader... He uses mass to lean on people... To be physically imposing he needs to be as big as possible while maintaining his athleticism

It's not a problem if he's 30 lb overweight... In February

He certainly is not 30 lb overweight in September 

Being a professional football player is like being a professional boxer.. you can't stay in peak boxing condition 52 weeks straight

That's why they go to a training camp for a fight and physically get into the best boxing shape.. you cannot maintain that peak form for 52 weeks

Football players also cannot maintain that for 52 weeks and you have to find a balance... You definitely don't want to peek in September

Dion Dawkins is a naturally huge man and if his balance.. is gaining 30 lb in the off-season 

As a 6'5 man who could carry alot of weight that is not the worst thing .. especially for a position that they call the big uglies... They're called that for a reason they are big boys

Until he shows he can't move it's not a problem

ok... I will stop here. This isn't a thread for this convo

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, noacls said:

With what he is doing today and what he did at Senior Bowl he may go in 1st

He’s too undersized and only has one year of major production in power 5. Love the player. I could see a 3-4 team drafting him higher based on body type but that would be a waste to put him in a 3-4. He deserves to go round 1 but I just can’t see it happening unless it’s like the last 3 picks but he’s done a great job going from a round 3 guy to a high to mid 2nd rounder imo 

19 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

This is both hilarious and sad.

It's like a young adult saying, "I don't believe in gravity."

Also an indictment of the athlete-scholarship system where total idiots not only get into a school but often emerge with a university degree.

My sister used to teach in a prison outside of Boston. She was teaching “kids” with high school diplomas how to write their name. She had to change jobs when her “graduates” started coming up to her on the city streets. 

• Sad 1