NFL considering adopting XFL kickoff rules

PromoTheRobot

XFL: Kicker lines up at his 30-yard line, with the 10 other members of the kickoff team lining up at the opponent's 35 -- 5 yards away from the returning team. The kicker and returner are the only players who can move until the ball is fielded. Touchbacks are placed at the 35-yard line.

NFL: Kicking team lines up at its 35-yard line, with eight returning team members within 15 yards. Double-team blocks are prohibited. Touchbacks are placed at the 25-yard line.

Clearly the rule needs to be cleaned up - on windy days when someone needs to HOLD the ball that player will need to move.

I like the rule and I like the idea that player safety would actually improve.

My only concern is that guys in the NFL are much better in tight spaces than guys in the XFL. If a returner can blast by that first wave of tacklers, the only thing between them and an easy TD is the kicker. And while exciting and fun, it may put more kickers on the shelf due to them having to try and make tackles. 

• Like (+1) 4

It is an interesting proposal and I would like to see the NFL try it in a couple seasons of preseason games before actually implementing it.  It seems like it would be safer. 

I am generally not a fan of more special teams impact on games.  I want less.  KC probably doesn't win the SuperBowl if some scrub gunner doesn't let the ball hit his foot on a punt.  

Do I really want to see Josh Allen score a TD only for the bottom feeders on the roster to give up a kickoff TD return on the very next play?  

I'd be fine if they just did away with the kickoff and did something like the 4th and 25 as an option instead of an onside kick.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

It is an interesting proposal and I would like to see the NFL try it in a couple seasons of preseason games before actually implementing it.  It seems like it would be safer. 

I am generally not a fan of more special teams impact on games.  I want less.  KC probably doesn't win the SuperBowl if some scrub gunner doesn't let the ball hit his foot on a punt.  

Do I really want to see Josh Allen score a TD only for the bottom feeders on the roster to give up a kickoff TD return on the very next play?  

I'd be fine if they just did away with the kickoff and did something like the 4th and 25 as an option instead of an onside kick.  

I agree with much of what you say, they only thing I'm skeptical about is the "4th and 25" as an option. With the way officiating has been I would hate to see some ticky tack PI, some no call on an obvious PI or one of those ridiculous "toss it short and force the DPI" plays having a factor. 

In theory it works. Picking up 4th and 25 is likely the same odds of recovering an inside kick. Just too many ways the "human element" comes into play for my own comfort.

3 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

This is great, just wondering about the onside kick. I suppose you'd need to declare an onside attempt prior to the kick and line everyone up accordingly..... so no more surprise onside kicks.....?

8 hours ago, The Red King said:

Do the XFL rules allow for an onside kick?

There are two versions of the inside kick in the XFL. One is the traditional onside we know. But that can only be called in the 4th quarter. 

The other is converting a 4th and 15 from your own 25. Make it and you keep playing. Fail and your opponent takes over on your 25.

Of course the NFL may tweak these rules a bit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I hate kicking in every general way to begin with......punting, FG's, kick-offs, whatever.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they removed every aspect of kicking from the game altogether, but i guess they have to include some sort of "foot" in football.

3 hours ago, Steptide said:

Nobody will believe me, but back in Buffalo Bills message board days, I had this EXACT same idea for nfl kick offs. Then the xfl started implementing it. Don't tell me they don't read these boards 😉

Lies No GIF

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

I hate kicking in every general way to begin with......punting, FG's, kick-offs, whatever.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they removed every aspect of kicking from the game altogether, but i guess they have to include some sort of "foot" in football.

Disagree about the whole removing special teams some want which is should be no surprise since only signed jersey I have is Steve Tasker's and a book personally signed by Marv Levy to me, a book which has nothing to do with football.

But if you wanted to leave the "foot" in football you could change yards to feet on the field.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

When people were brainstorming ideas on how to make the kickoff a safer play years ago (before this XFL kickoff was even a thing), I actually had a very similar idea.  I didn't have teams lining up straight across the field from each other like that, but instead had "pods" of players scattered all over the field between the 40s with the same rule that you couldn't go until the ball was caught.  This accomplished basically the same thing by eliminating the running start but allowing for more returns. 

When I saw what the XFL did, I was kind of excited because even though it wasn't my exact idea, it was close enough to see what it would look like.  I still like my idea of scattering players at different levels instead of right across from each other from one side of the field to another, but if I can't see my idea in practice, this would be a step in the right direction because I do think you would see a lot more returns than what we do now.

I don't like so many players lined up within such a small area of each other. Would like to see some staggering involved to prevent a returner from breaking thru the first line and being nothing but daylight in front of him with a slow kicker trying to catch him.

Maybe have 6 players lined up where they are now and the other 4 lined up 10-15 yards farther back?

11 hours ago, BigDingus said:

I'd much prefer that. It'd certainly be preferable to seeing 90% of kicks result in a touchback.

It's worth noting in the XFL a touchback or a kick that doesn't reach the receiver's 25 yard line, is a penalty. The ball has to be receivable.

I think the NFL should either do something like this to make the kickoff game an actual big deal, or just get rid of kickoffs entirely and have each team start at the 25 (which is essentially what is currently happening in the league). As currently constructed, kickoffs are just a waste of time. The XFL kickoff is cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm all for player safety but the kickoff has become less of a key play in football as a result of the recent rule changes. For me, there are far too many touchbacks and the onside kick is almost non-existent in terms of the kicking team having success in obtaining possession. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree with much of what you say, they only thing I'm skeptical about is the "4th and 25" as an option. With the way officiating has been I would hate to see some ticky tack PI, some no call on an obvious PI or one of those ridiculous "toss it short and force the DPI" plays having a factor. 

In theory it works. Picking up 4th and 25 is likely the same odds of recovering an inside kick. Just too many ways the "human element" comes into play for my own comfort.

My problem with that idea (besides the fact that special teams are fun and cool) is that it just gives even more priority to having a top-tier passing offense.  The run game is already heavily devalued as it is; I don't think we need more rule changes to devalue it further.

Bottom line for me:  If you want all passing all the time, and super high scores, we already have the Arena League for that.  I don't mind watching AFL once in a while, but it's like an overly sweet dessert.  A couple bites are nice, but I'm not having a bowl of Skittles for dinner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I think the NFL should either do something like this to make the kickoff game an actual big deal, or just get rid of kickoffs entirely and have each team start at the 25 (which is essentially what is currently happening in the league). As currently constructed, kickoffs are just a waste of time. The XFL kickoff is cool.

I remember going to games when opening kickoff was exciting...everyone standing, screaming...now it's nothing. They need to bring that back. Players are going to get injured regardless of the rules

22 hours ago, Sweats said:

What are we going to call the sport, RPO ball? ,  it’s the uncertainty of those kicking plays that helps create excitement in the game,  that and we have all watched our vaunted starters Fuh k up coverages and in effect let the opponent make big plays or  score TDs, happens in every game…, it’s not just the scrubs on special teams, 

• Like (+1) 1