Bills should sign Blaine Gabbert as backup QB

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Mac Jones makes sense, though 

lol.  You trippin or what?

Michael Macorkle Jones is the prissiest, most privileged southern frat boy to ever put a helmet on.  Definitely not a good fit in Bills locker room. 

And seriously overrated.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Spoiler alert: anyone we end up signing at Backup QB "sucks" 

If you're a decent to good QB on the market - you're either starting, going to a team as a Bridge QB or insurance to a young QB who's developing, going to a team that has a questionable starter, or going to a team with a QB who has injury issues.

Having a QB that is unquestioned and *knock on wood* never comes off the field, our options are going to be... not so great.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Michael Macorkle Jones is the prissiest, most privileged southern frat boy to ever put a helmet on.  Definitely not a good fit in Bills locker room. 

And seriously overrated.  

He is a semi mobile quarterback who will be in the League another 6 years

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, boyst said:

He is a semi mobile quarterback who will be in the League another 6 years

Mac Jones isn't going to be outright cut. They don't save anything by releasing him. If they don't get any offers for him, they'll keep him and he'll be a FA after this season.

We're not paying 5m for 1 year on a backup QB period. Let alone giving up a pick to do so. No one's doing that unless they think it's possible they might be able to get something more out of him with a change of scenery, with the potential to start in the future. 

Even if he *were* to be outright cut (won't happen, but for arguments sake let's go with it) - he'd go somewhere with a questionable QB situation that would give him at least the chance to see the field.

Long story short, Mac Jones isn't happening any way you slice it.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Gabbert or Jones, just say no to first round QB busts.

The thing about 1st Round QB "busts" is that they at least have traits or tools that made them a First Rounder. Blaine has stuck around the league for so long as a Backup QB because he at least brings something meaningful to the table. You aren't still playing at 34 if you provide absolutely nothing.

As I said, when it comes to Backup QB's, if they're good - they'll either be starting or on a team that has a questionable QB situation. There isn't even 32 good starters in the NFL.

Anyone we get to play Backup QB here isn't going to inspire anyone. 

23 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The thing about 1st Round QB "busts" is that they at least have traits or tools that made them a First Rounder. Blaine has stuck around the league for so long as a Backup QB because he at least brings something meaningful to the table. You aren't still playing at 34 if you provide absolutely nothing.

As I said, when it comes to Backup QB's, if they're good - they'll either be starting or on a team that has a questionable QB situation. There isn't even 32 good starters in the NFL.

First round QBs who bust generally have the physical tools to be good NFL QBs but lack the " intangible" talents/skills that even adequate NFL QBs need to be successful.  They frequently fail to make good decisions, process what they see fast enough, learn to read defenses etc.    They keep getting chances, however, because they look so good in practice that coaches are convinced they can do  the same for short stretches in real game time.  Mitch Trubisky is a good example.  So is Gabbert. 

Successful backup QBs tend to be less physically gifted but make up for that with being better with intangibles.  Frequently, they learn the nuances of the game so that they know what to do in most situations.  Just as frequently, though, they don't have quite the physical talent to play consistently.  Some are good enough to even making low-end starters -- at least for a while.  I think QBs like Case Keenum and Brian Hoyer are examples of this. 

The Bills don't need a backup QB to inspire anyone.   They need a reasonably priced backup QB who can come into a game on short notice and not lose the game with stupid plays.   I'm not sure that they will be able to find one.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, SoTier said:

First round QBs who bust generally have the physical tools to be good NFL QBs but lack the " intangible" talents/skills that even adequate NFL QBs need to be successful.  They frequently fail to make good decisions, process what they see fast enough, learn to read defenses etc.    They keep getting chances, however, because they look so good in practice that coaches are convinced they can do  the same for short stretches in real game time.  Mitch Trubisky is a good example.  So is Gabbert. 

Successful backup QBs tend to be less physically gifted but make up for that with being better with intangibles.  Frequently, they learn the nuances of the game so that they know what to do in most situations.  Just as frequently, though, they don't have quite the physical talent to play consistently.  Some are good enough to even making low-end starters -- at least for a while.  I think QBs like Case Keenum and Brian Hoyer are examples of this. 

The Bills don't need a backup QB to inspire anyone.   They need a reasonably priced backup QB who can come into a game on short notice and not lose the game with stupid plays.   I'm not sure that they will be able to find one.

I'm all for drafting one in the 3rd or 4th. In a draft like this where there isn't a major market for QBs or hot commodity potentials we can take a flier and find a 4 year backup for Josh.

• Dislike 1

14 hours ago, freddyjj said:

And seriously overrated.  

Yup, a snow flake if ever there was one, probably owns pearls…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The thing about 1st Round QB "busts" is that they at least have traits or tools that made them a First Rounder.

Which is why unless the Bills just extend Kyle A, I for one would gladly welcome Mitchell Trubisky back to the squad.  He seemed to enjoy it here, and isn't going to command any compensatory picks or a salary anywhere near what Pittsburgh just paid him. He'll likely not get much interest elsewhere to come in and compete for a starting job. In theory, he could lay down some roots here as a backup. 

Barkley, Trubisky, Keenum, Kyle A, the Bills have shown they value having a veteran in that role. And he'd obviously be a good fit with Josh, has plenty of experience, has good mobility, get 'er done Beane!

11 hours ago, boyst said:

I'm all for drafting one in the 3rd or 4th. In a draft like this where there isn't a major market for QBs or hot commodity potentials we can take a flier and find a 4 year backup for Josh.

I'd argue we need those type of picks for many other positions, not for potential backups who we don't even want to have to use for 4 years. Maybe take the flier if someone falls closer to Brock Purdy/Mr. Irrelevant territory.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

I'd argue we need those type of picks for many other positions, not for potential backups who we don't even want to have to use for 4 years. Maybe take the flier if someone falls closer to Brock Purdy/Mr. Irrelevant territory.

Brock Purdy is so interesting to me. In 5 years what we will be seeing from him.

I think it is worth it to get a 3rd or 4th round simply to develop them and recover a comp pick while having a backup QB.

Just now, boyst said:

Brock Purdy is so interesting to me. In 5 years what we will be seeing from him.

I think it is worth it to get a 3rd or 4th round simply to develop them and recover a comp pick while having a backup QB.

He will only get better working in Shanahan's offense. Realistically, he is nearly as much of an exception as Tom Brady was in the 6th.

And I just don't like the idea of training a guy only to lose him.

2 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

He will only get better working in Shanahan's offense. Realistically, he is nearly as much of an exception as Tom Brady was in the 6th.

And I just don't like the idea of training a guy only to lose him.

We can't put him in the same sentence as Brady. Not unless he does another decade and multiple rings. 

7 minutes ago, boyst said:

We can't put him in the same sentence as Brady. Not unless he does another decade and multiple rings. 

As far as late round QB hit rate, you can. But obviously, Brady is the GOAT. 

I am just casting a vote for using mid draft picks on other needs.

Gabbert as a FA would likely cost too much. And based on what they've shown, I want absolutely ZERO to do with Mac Jones and/or Zach Wilson!

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Seriously though, Blake Bortles.   He’s basically just the 2nd year version of Josh, perfect back up.

Didn't Bortles derail his career with too much partying?   I thought that was the story going around when he failed so miserably in several spots after looking so promising early in his career.

1 hour ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

As long as Purdy can play for Shanahan or a Shanahan disciple, he'll probably do well.  I'm not sure he would be very good playing for many other coaches.

• Agree 1

As many others have commented before, Beane will probably have to go low cost for the backup QB.  We don't see much of the players at practice, so it's hard for me to really judge K. Allen running the Bills offense.  He also had limited game reps.  I just believe Beane can get a better low cost option.  I also think the influx of drafted QB's this year will push some starters into backup roles and send some current backups to free agency.  I think we may be surprised at the number of better options that may become available for the Bills.  It may take a while to sort out as potential  FA candidates search for the most lucrative options or the best chances to win a championship.  My hope is that a decent candidate panics and signs with the Bills on the cheap before the game of musical chairs runs out of landing spots.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, stuvian said:

apparently he saved someone's life once by doing Heimlich or CPR

You can't use "Heimlich" unless you pay the Heimlich family. Years ago the American Red Cross had to stop using that name, under threat of being sued, so now they just call it the "Abdominal Thrust method." True Story.

The Tre White situation is going to be the fascinating storyline. He was injured in week 5, realistically he should be full go (or close to it) by training camp. 

You release him, you still pay him 10 million while freeing up 6 million in cap.

You can restructure, but that makes moving on harder in the future.

You can also negotiate a pay cut, Cover-1 speculates that could open up 3-4 million and you can experiment with where Tre lines up next season. 

He has the reputation of being a less than willing tackler, but his missed tackle percentages are just slightly higher than Hyde, Poyer, and Johnson since 2018. 

Imagine, for a second,  healthy Tre White playing open range Free Safety.

NO ONE is going deep. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The Tre White situation is going to be the fascinating storyline. He was injured in week 5, realistically he should be full go (or close to it) by training camp. 

You release him, you still pay him 10 million while freeing up 6 million in cap.

You can restructure, but that makes moving on harder in the future.

You can also negotiate a pay cut, Cover-1 speculates that could open up 3-4 million and you can experiment with where Tre lines up next season. 

He has the reputation of being a less than willing tackler, but his missed tackle percentages are just slightly higher than Hyde, Poyer, and Johnson since 2018. 

Imagine, for a second,  healthy Tre White playing open range Free Safety.

NO ONE is going deep. 

Not in this defense. We don't use traditional Free/Strong safeties

• Agree 1

I don’t give a ***** about the backup because if Josh goes down no one is taking this team anywhere. No sense climbing up the draft board only to lose anyway. If you need a guy for a couple games it’s more important that the other 10 do a better job just so the backup isn’t asked to do much

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

You can't use "Heimlich" unless you pay the Heimlich family. Years ago the American Red Cross had to stop using that name, under threat of being sued, so now they just call it the "Abdominal Thrust method." True Story.

not true. The American Red Cross dumped Heinrich and the term after he paid for shady research to discredit alternative method (back blows) of dislodging food in the trachea. 

Heimlichs own son admitted this.  In fact the family would like nothing more than for the Red Cross to ONLY teach the Heimlich Maneuver in basic lifesaving courses

@Mr. WEO I stand corrected. Wiki says this about it: 

1) When the American Red Cross introduced back blows to its official guidelines on treating choking, Dr Heimlich disagreed that back blows should be used and asked that his name be removed from the guidelines. Leading to the renaming of the Heimlich maneuver as an Abdominal thrust.

Weird that he disagreed on that point, since it seems that two different methods would be better than one, but I guess he had his reasons. And the Heimlich move IS the abdominal thrust move, while the back blows are just that, back blows. Not sure where I heard the lawsuit story, but it was years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.