Super Bowl LVIII Pre Game Thread

muppy

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yep can't wait to hear the new lazy media narrative all year how Brock Purdy is now the best quarterback in the NFL. 

But that was the narrative before his 4 INT meltdown and pull from the game against Baltimore… Was it lazy then?

Also, on reflection, that game and the following week against Miami is what won Lamar the MVP. At least IMO. 

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

They don’t have a shot? How so? The Chiefs have barely scraped through these playoffs the past 2 games. That’s going to catch up to them. Now the same can be said for the 9ers, yes. But both of their wins the opposing team came to play. One of them was a 28-7 turnaround in the second half to win by 3. 

Buffalo is the only offense that showed up to play KC… Even then there was miscues and plenty points left on the field. Miami, one of the highest scoring offenses did absolutely nothing in the WC. And then the best running game in the NFL decides to just come out and sling it 40 times versus 12 on the ground (it was 18 in total but 4 of them were scrambles by Lamar). 

Both teams are very capable of winning this game and both have had some shortcomings and potential scares that could have cost them being here. Bigger picture, San Francisco has performed better and has one less game under their belt, even though KC  didn’t have to really show up versus Miami

😂

Trust me I hope you're right. I just think of Mahomes against Purdy and can't see the 9ers keeping up. Again, hopefully I'm wrong. 9ers haven't looked great in their 2 playoff games either. I dunno, guess we'll see. Whatd I'd really love is to see kc lose in heart breaking fashion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Steptide said:

Trust me I hope you're right. I just think of Mahomes against Purdy and can't see the 9ers keeping up. Again, hopefully I'm wrong. 9ers haven't looked great in their 2 playoff games either. I dunno, guess we'll see. Whatd I'd really love is to see kc lose in heart breaking fashion. 

I think they’ve looked decent. Defense was a strong point and has become a question although if they play like they did the second half of the NFCC then there is no shot for KC. 

That Lions O is just as good if not better than Chiefs, QB is the only reason it has any comparable balance to one another. 

Mahomes will show up. There’s no doubt about it. I just don’t think the 9ers fold over and sh-t the bed like the did to end SB54. 

2 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

and this is the problem.  This is the toxic conformity (which I largely blame on the media) over the last four years that bothers me.   You must think one way or else.... At least it used to only apply to more important topics.  now it is even in pop culture. 

What if I told you that it was possible to both be annoyed with the overexposure of Taylor and not be a conspiracy theorist?  Josh Allen has a celebrity girlfriend too, but I don't remember that being shoved in everyone's face.

This has zero to do with the question I posed. I'm not talking about if you are annoyed with it all or not. My post was about whether someone believed she has fault in her _NFL_ overexposure or not. Was she just a girl in a relationship attending football games that everyone else took advantage of? Or is she involved in a deeper plot?

My statement was suggesting that if you believe Taylor is involved in her over exposure in the NFL that you believe in the conspiracy theories surrounding that. Such as, the relationship is fake and is a media stunt collaborated between her and the NFL, etc... Do you believe she coordinated all the camera shots before,during, and after the games? 

The media and NFL taking advantage of her being at games and in a relationship with a player, has nothing to do with whatever else is going on in her life. 

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Yes, it’s just horrible that a business would take advantage of a situation that they didn’t create to enhance the bottom line … how DARE they!

Tell that to the people that says they are sick of seeing her because of all the overexposure the NFL gave her this year.

9 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

This has zero to do with the question I posed. I'm not talking about if you are annoyed with it all or not. My post was about whether someone believed she has fault in her _NFL_ overexposure or not. Was she just a girl in a relationship attending football games that everyone else took advantage of? Or is she involved in a deeper plot?

My statement was suggesting that if you believe Taylor is involved in her over exposure in the NFL that you believe in the conspiracy theories surrounding that. Such as, the relationship is fake and is a media stunt collaborated between her and the NFL, etc... Do you believe she coordinated all the camera shots before,during, and after the games? 

The media and NFL taking advantage of her being at games and in a relationship with a player, has nothing to do with whatever else is going on in her life. 

Tell that to the people that says they are sick of seeing her because of all the overexposure the NFL gave her this year.

Listen buddy if you want to gatekeep the thread and go after anyone who speaks against the blessed name of Taylor, go for it.  I'm not up for an all day back and forth online debate.   Enjoy your Super Bowl. 

• Haha (+1) 2

I usually watch BUT given all of the commercialization of the game it's just becoming another modern day soap opera so i'm not quite sure if i'm going to watch or not . I have a 302 i'm rebuilding so i may be out in the garage working on it instead .

Besides if the Chiefs wind up scoring a lot & if it is Kelsey that is the one catching the TD passes there will be a lot of the game showing Taylor Swift after each one & the NFL has used her & those situations to get the Swifts on board so much this season i could just about puke every time they show her .

Now even Bucky Brooks & some other so called "Football Experts" have jumped on the Swift wagon & think that's such a great idea but for every Swifty they sign up they lose some true fans that are there for the actual love of the game & not there for the commercialization project that the NFL has planned .

I figure in another 2 or 3 years or at the very least by the time Josh is ready to retire i'll be so over the NFL given the expansion that has been talked about that i will be done because it will be to the point of saturation and that will take away all that drew me to love the game .

Thanks Roger !!

But no matter i will always be a Bills fan !! 

53 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Yep can't wait to hear the new lazy media narrative all year how Brock Purdy is now the best quarterback in the NFL. 

Would prefer this to more Mahomes and Kelce worshipping.

Always a chance that CMC has an incredible game that gives them the win and Purdy doesn't receive that sort of hype.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I found this on chiefs planet board OH SNAP DAYUM. He no likey the city on the bay much wow

**** SAN FRANCISCO!

**** YOUR FECES-COVERED STREETS!

**** ALL THE BROKE**** HAS-BEEN AND NEVER-WAS QUARTERBACKS THAT YOU *****-HEELS SENT TO KANSAS CITY OVER THE YEARS!

**** YOUR $1.6 BILLION CRACKERJACK STADIUM THAT’S TWO ****** HOURS FROM YOUR GARBAGE CITY!

**** YOUR BANDWAGON FANBASE!

**** THE ENTIRE SHANAHAN FAMILY!

**** RICE-A-RONI!

**** FIRE ALARMS!

**** COLIN KAEPERNICK!

**** THE RAIDERS!

**** MR. IRRELEVANT!

**** FULL HOUSE!

**** CHARVARIUS WARD!

**** YOU FOR BEING THE WHINIEST GROUP OF TITTY BABIES IN LEAGUE HISTORY!

**** SAN FRANCISCO!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I don’t know any reputable Bills fan has any interest in watching any of this garbage since the team we root for went up in flames three weeks ago.

There are really 2 kinds of fans:  fans who strictly root for laundry, and fans who love both the laundry, and the game.

Neither is better or worse.

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Causation = / = correlation.

Super Bowl's become more popular over time in general. We saw increased viewership from 1966 until 2016. The NFL is doing a great job of marketing it every year.

However, starting in 2016, numbers actually started to decrease.

One thing I will say is that I didnt consider the Swift angle too much when I made my original post, or I wouldn't have made it. Her fans may make the difference and put it over the edge. I was simply talking from an NFL fan perspective.

This is not accurate.

Last years Super Bowl had an all-platform viewership of 115.1M.

The most watcher Super Bowl ever had over 126M. The second most watched had 119M. The third most watched had 118.5M. The fourth most watched had 115.8M.

Last years Super Bowl wasn't in the top 4. 

You can see the rankings here.

The reason you think it was the most watched telecast ever is because you fell for the clickbait Nielsen advertisement where they said that. However, what they didn't tell you is that they didn't start accounting for out-of-home streaming until 2021. So the 2022 Super Bowl was the most watched telecast of their new rating metric.... that came out in 2021. So, it was the most watched of 2021 or 2022.

So it was “just” one of the top 5 most-watched Super Bowls. Doesn’t really help your argument. Bottom line is that there was plenty of interest in their last SB appearance and also in their last game. To claim that interest suddenly fell off a cliff two weeks later, before a matchup with a team that’s been favored in all 20 games this year, is absurd. 

34 minutes ago, muppy said:

I found this on chiefs planet board OH SNAP DAYUM. He no likey the city on the bay much wow

What a miserable soul. Even more ironic with his one point… The Chiefs were the ultimate bandwagon team in the NFL Pre-Taylor with Mahomes year 2/3. Think that magnitude has doubled if not tripled since her ties to a player. 

31 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

Would prefer this to more Mahomes and Kelce worshipping.

Always a chance that CMC has an incredible game that gives them the win and Purdy doesn't receive that sort of hype.

I don't mind Mahomes getting the accolades because he's the only one who is legitimately as good or better than our QB. Same goes for Rodgers based on his career achievements.

The rest are pretenders. Either products of great team performances around them and/or products of pre-determined mainstream-media-narrative-driven awards.

But perception is reality and until the Bills can get over the hump and win a Super Bowl, history will consider Allen below many of the quarterbacks playing currently.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SaulGoodman said:

So it was “just” one of the top 5 most-watched Super Bowls. Doesn’t really help your argument. Bottom line is that there was plenty of interest in their last SB appearance and also in their last game. To claim that interest suddenly fell off a cliff two weeks later, before a matchup with a team that’s been favored in all 20 games this year, is absurd. 

ALL of the past two decades of Super Bowls have been top 5 at the time.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Success said:

There are really 2 kinds of fans:  fans who strictly root for laundry, and fans who love both the laundry, and the game.

Neither is better or worse.

3 kinds. Fans who took all their laundry and put it on 49ers -2. 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I don’t know any reputable Bills fan has any interest in watching any of this garbage since the team we root for went up in flames three weeks ago.

I watch every Super Bowl. I appreciate the history of the game.

IMO that adds value to being a Bills fan and makes it matter more and will feel that much better when we finally do win it all.

2 hours ago, Herc11 said:

You realize a crime doesn't have to be committed to sue someone, right?

Yes but it generally helps to have a law or infraction to quote when a lawsuit is made vs. Miss Swifts claim of it being mean because it makes her look bad for what she is doing which espousing conflicting messages. 

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

I’ll be watching.  Rooting for the Niners, but definitely a Bills fan first and foremost. Been a Niners fan since the Montana days.

Honestly on chiefs overload. Kermit’s 4th (edit) SB and all that has happened Bills v chiefs. Want the Niners to win, but it would be a “anyone but the chiefs” for me regardless.

Wish my Bills were playing for sure.

Edited by davefan66

6 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I’ll be watching.  Rooting for the Niners, but definitely a Bills fan first and foremost. Been a Niners fan since the Montana days.

Honestly on chiefs overload. Kermit’s 3rd SB and all that has happened Bills v chiefs. Want the Niners to win, but it would be a “anyone but the chiefs” for me regardless.

Wish my Bills were playing for sure.

This is kermits 4th superbowl 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

This whole game is going to come down to Brock Purdy’s performance. If he can escape the pocket, SF has a real chance to win tonight. But I don’t think they can overcome a subpar game by Purdy.

Enter one Chris Jones. He’s been a favorite player of mine because I think he’s getting better and better each year. I think he’s Reggie White. And I think he knows he can ruin Purdy. And he’s going to do it. I got the Chiefs 31 - 23 49ers. 

32 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am just popping in here to say that there is zero percent chance the Niners win. No one is stopping Mahomes. going to be an easy 10-point win.

you senor are on the record.  I'm trying not to amp too high thinking the chiefs could go down later today. On any given Sunday.

Patrick Mahomes smirk after a grueling Loss PRICELESS

Just sayin' it IS possible 🙂

• Haha (+1) 1

All these people freaking out about Taylor Swift, coming up with absurd conspiracy theories, would be funny if it weren't so pathetic--and revealing of oceans of unfocused rage. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am just popping in here to say that there is zero percent chance the Niners win. No one is stopping Mahomes. going to be an easy 10-point win.

This is a joke right? Although I’m starting to think the people on this board have lost their minds. It’s no secret I’ve got big money on the Niners to win it all since the start of this year. I’ve never wavered all year on this board. Niners luck will win out tonight. Also the chiefs can’t stop the run. Enter CMC. I said when the Niners got CMC that it was over for the rest of the league and tonight I’m finally going to be vindicated. Niners roll in this one by at least a TD maybe 2 scores. 

My parlay today: 49ers -6.5, CMC to score 2 TDs, CMC at least 60 yards rushing, kittle at least 40 yards receiving, kelce under 72.5 yards reveiving and Mahomes under 265 yards passing. All that is +2600 right now. Free money if you’re smart enough to listen lol

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, muppy said:

you senor are on the record.  I'm trying not to amp too high thinking the chiefs could go down later today. On any given Sunday.

Patrick Mahomes smirk after a grueling Loss PRICELESS

Just sayin' it IS possible 🙂

I hope you are right and I am wrong. But I think we will see Kermit easily win another with a bunch of magical plays. And Purdy will fold under the pressure. 

33 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I hope you are right and I am wrong. But I think we will see Kermit easily win another with a bunch of magical plays. And Purdy will fold under the pressure. 

Purdy cannot afford another first half of garbage ball. Didn’t play well first half against Lions, but pulled it out second half. Can’t give kermit a half to build a lead.

I have a one month old. That is PRIME “sleep when the baby sleeps” time on a Sunday. So I’ll watch and hate myself tomorrow morning. Because it’s football. And I love football. 

edit: I’m on the west coast so kick off is at 3:30. 

Edited by stevestojan

3 hours ago, dgrochester55 said:

Listen buddy if you want to gatekeep the thread and go after anyone who speaks against the blessed name of Taylor, go for it.  I'm not up for an all day back and forth online debate.   Enjoy your Super Bowl. 

Wtf? Where did you even come from? Zero of my replies were directed at you. Are we only allowed to express an opinion that aligns with yours? GTFO

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm sorely disappointed that we're not in this game - the AFC was probably as easy as it's likely to be in the upcoming years.  I think we had one injury too many for the KC game - otherwise, we'd be here.

But I'm trying to appreciate how calm and stress-free I am right now, and the fact that in 6 hours or so, there is no way I can be devastated by the game's result.  I'll sleep fine either way.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Yes but it generally helps to have a law or infraction to quote when a lawsuit is made vs. Miss Swifts claim of it being mean because it makes her look bad for what she is doing which espousing conflicting messages. 

Yes, I agree. I do see her concern with the tracking of her jet though. She's had several stalkers that have got themselves way to close to her. I also recognize that her and her PR team don't like the negative attention the tree huggers are bringing as well. That's definitely a large part of her problem with it. 

If Elon couldn't do anything about the guy the was tracking him, then I doubt she'll be able to. Is it even the same guy?

35 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

Wtf? Where did you even come from? Zero of my replies were directed at you. Are we only allowed to express an opinion that aligns with yours? GTFO

You replied directly to me twice.  Don't gaslight.

It was clear after you said "Is it really her fault that the NFL and the networks took full advantage of her newfound relationship? I guess if you believe in the conspiracies then you would say yes." one one post, and then tried to twist words and dance around it on the next post, that you were not worth speaking to anymore. 

Your last post confirmed my initial hunch.  Again, enjoy your Super Bowl.

Edited by dgrochester55

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.