Diggs cryptic comments - 2024 edition

Einstein

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

This is silly. "I look forward to being a Bill next year" would have undoubtedly led to a follow up of whether he thinks he will be here. 

“Yes I do think i’ll be back. We have unfinished  business.”

It’s really not that hard.

Even if he ended up being wrong and the team traded/cut him, who would ever hold it against him for saying he’ll be back to win a championship? Literally nobody. Ever.

I love Diggs but this is one area that he could get better with.

Or maybe he does it on purpose just to get the media riled up 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who knows.

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

I think he literally says what’s on his mind, he doesn’t strike me as incredibly smart or calculating person. I would take what he says at face value, and I personally don’t think he wants to be in Buffalo anymore. 

4 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone saying this isn’t cryptic or weird is just using blinders. He knows his contract doesn’t allow (financially, for the Bills) a trade so even if he wasn’t happy here, why not just say “I can’t wait to go at it with Josh and the boys again next year” or something equally non-attention grabbing. He’s a narcissist just like his brother. 

He’s a drama queen. That’s why.

Now at this point we aren’t trading him since his skills have diminished so really the only decision left is whether keeping him hurts the team and we lose production/value from the wasted roster spot or not. He disappears in the playoffs more than any other player I can remember. He’s a total no-show when it matters so I think it’s an easy decision for Beane.

Edited by Governor

drama king plain and simple.....there are so many better ways to answer a question about you being on team next season.

having said that, it's fair for diggs to wonder (to himself) if he will be wanted by the bills. they may want to trade or renegotiate better terms. happens all the time.

diggs is an elite top 5 WR....undisputed Top 10. his and the teams issue was a lack of a legit WR2 (ie aiyuk, waddle, higgins, nacua, etc..)

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Here we go.

It's bad enough the media likes to make something out of nothing every year. Do we really need to do it every year too?

It's nothing. Same as last year. His contract isn't really tradable. Especially with how he played at the end of last year. Why would a team take that on if there's any concern he's falling off?

As for what he said, I read it as nothing. I just took it as him looking at how things ended last season and the team being a mess roster wise and not taking for granted that he's safe. Reports are he's not unhappy or looking to move:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-is-sean-mcdermott-hot-seat-insider-notes-bills-hc-s-future-stefon-diggs-speculation-seahawks-coaching-search?utm_source=www.sportskeeda.com&utm_medium=native&utm_campaign=ShareArticle

Yup, some folk fish for attention, some folk just express themselves, and other folk take it and run with it as if there is deep meaning behind what’s said, this is just typical Diggs mutterings, just part of his personality, ain’t nuthin but a thing…, 

• Agree 1

As a WR, Diggs is excellent, but he's now proven to be a bit of malcontent along with being more than a bit of a diva. Just ignore his "cryptic" tweets, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

As a WR, Diggs is excellent, but he's now proven to be a bit of malcontent along with being more than a bit of a diva. Just ignore his "cryptic" tweets, etc. 

clearly a process guy 

8 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Anyone saying this isn’t cryptic or weird is just using blinders. He knows his contract doesn’t allow (financially, for the Bills) a trade so even if he wasn’t happy here, why not just say “I can’t wait to go at it with Josh and the boys again next year” or something equally non-attention grabbing. He’s a narcissist just like his brother. 

A post June 1 Diggs trade saves $19mil against this year's cap. Doesn't help much with getting under the cap by March 15, but in theory Beane could make a big trade including Diggs in June or later. I hope not but it's something that could definitely be done cap-wise

People read way into one sentence in a much longer statement.  Reading the entire interview I had three takeaways.

1. Diggs is exhausted with making comments and having the media dramatize them.

2. Diggs feels his personal relationships are much different than represented in the media and doesn't really care (anymore).

3. Diggs was determined to make as neutral of commentary as possible about his future because he doesn't really care for the media to know anything.

I don't know what you can take from any of these comments in context, and taking them out of context is just feeding into the problem and fabricating hot takes.  He may want to be somewhere else, or he may continue to give it 110% in Buffalo like he has shown to do his whole time here with players that he has previously expressed happiness in playing with.

Edited by Rew
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think he knows he didn’t play well at the end and that the Bills were still winning and that was his self-defense mechanism talking there, casting doubts whether or not the Bills would retain him.

He will very likely still be a Bill through 2024.  

• Agree 2

I gave up on Diggs when his bro sent the texts after Broncos game. When he took questions later in the week it was all bull#### and trying to say the right thing while not answering the question at hand. 

I don’t blame him for wanted out if he wants to win though. McD is killing them in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I think Diggs just enjoys ******* with the people asking stupid questions non stop and the tweeterer universe.

He knows that with his contract being untradeable that he's not going anywhere. Besides, unless he goes to the Chiefs he isn't going to find a better QB throwing him the ball than Josh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Regarding Diggs I have two questions

was he in fact playing with an injury ?

speculated question

did he in fact lose faith in McDermott at 5-5 and just say I’m here so whatever happens happens ?

something changed and he just didn’t rally so credit Josh for being the actual leader and saying no I wanna win!!!

team ended up 2nd seed in afc - after being 5-5 and he doesn’t feel motivated to be here?  Something is definitely off 

lose to the chiefs or not 

3 minutes ago, BananaB said:

I gave up on Diggs when his bro sent the texts after Broncos game. When he took questions later in the week it was all bull#### and trying to say the right thing while not answering the question at hand. 

I don’t blame him for wanted out if he wants to win though. McD is killing them in the playoffs. 

Well technically Diggs drops played a huge role in losing this last ine

mcdermott had them in place to win at the end of we want to get technical 

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Here we go.

It's bad enough the media likes to make something out of nothing every year. Do we really need to do it every year too?

It's nothing. Same as last year. His contract isn't really tradable. Especially with how he played at the end of last year. Why would a team take that on if there's any concern he's falling off?

As for what he said, I read it as nothing. I just took it as him looking at how things ended last season and the team being a mess roster wise and not taking for granted that he's safe. Reports are he's not unhappy or looking to move:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-is-sean-mcdermott-hot-seat-insider-notes-bills-hc-s-future-stefon-diggs-speculation-seahawks-coaching-search?utm_source=www.sportskeeda.com&utm_medium=native&utm_campaign=ShareArticle

Awwwww but I already went and got my pitchfork 🙁

9 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

This is silly. "I look forward to being a Bill next year" would have undoubtedly led to a follow up of whether he thinks he will be here. Then he'd say "I can't tell you what the future holds, I just know I'll be ready..." and the media would run with it. 

You can't take the "power" out of the media's hands because they aren't looking for the truth. They are looking for whatever will generate readership and will spin the story to that end.

I think you are overstating how eager the media are to create a story with I mid tier WR1 in a low end media market. mostly  they are just reporting the basics of a situation and said WR creates drama that is acknowledged by them

he simply could come out full throated and say “you know my brothers wild with those comments, but I love him…. And I love playing in Buffalo.” 

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

“Yes I do think i’ll be back. We have unfinished  business.”

It’s really not that hard.

Even if he ended up being wrong and the team traded/cut him, who would ever hold it against him for saying he’ll be back to win a championship? Literally nobody. Ever.

I love Diggs but this is one area that he could get better with.

Or maybe he does it on purpose just to get the media riled up 🤷🏻‍♂️. Who knows.

he’s done it his whole career. And as you note, it’s the easiest throwaway comments in the world to make. The only way you don’t think it’s intentional is if you think he’s really low IQ. From there, you have to ask his goal because it is intentional…. Is it just attention? Does he want to force his way out this off-season? Just trying to be a small thorn to make sure the day a move can be made beane races to do it without making himself look like a total cancer? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Dashing out of town faster than a Saturn V rocket 🚀 past the post game interviews where he could’ve said the right things but chose not to, got us rolling in this direction…breathless twitterverse speculation was inevitable. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

So, it’s been reported many times that Diggs was one of the last out of the locker room after the KC game, but that he just didn’t talk to reporters, which has become his norm. 

Also, this 19s clip completely misses the context of his initial response, which was paraphrasing “you’ve all (the media) already asked me these questions and my responses have always been the same”, and that the people in the locker room know how he feels and know his intentions. He takes accountability for his dropped passes, saying there are many plays he’d like back, and also “if I touched, I dropped it,” indicating he holds himself to a standard he didn’t feel he was meeting. 

Instead the focus of the tweet is a response to a question that is quite stupid in light of his contract situation and, to the best of my knowledge, nothing other than fan chatter about him possibly not being a Bill. Certainly nothing he, himself, has indicated to date. 

I’ve been as critical of Diggs’s play as anyone, and I question whether he still has elite WR1 ability, but the constant character assassination on the guy is as tired as the “same ol’ same ol’” questions he gets asked that continue to fuel this narrative. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I think Diggs just enjoys ******* with the people asking stupid questions non stop and the tweeterer universe.

He knows that with his contract being untradeable that he's not going anywhere. Besides, unless he goes to the Chiefs he isn't going to find a better QB throwing him the ball than Josh.

He’s admitted to this a couple times. For some reason people feel the need to get all bent out of shape about it. It’s odd. 

• Agree 1