Daniel Jeremiah top 50 prospects . Who are the Bills drafting?

DJB

Marvin Harrison, obviously :P

ok, expecting that we are looking for someone in the top 15 to hopefully drop here is what I would look at:

Brian Thomas (LSU guy for Bradu!)

Xavier Worthy (where I think is a likely mix of draft spot and need)

Troy Franklin

DeVontez Walker

T'Vondre Sweat (DT3)

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, peterpan said:

My favorite target wasn’t on the list.  Also shocked to see JJ McCarthy un so high.  He plays like a 7th round pick to me 

Pretty much everyone expects JJ to be a 1st round pick. I don't have him that high personally, but the same goes for most of this QB class to be honest. Maye and Caleb are the only two I'd really want to take in the first round.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

He has our boy Cooper DeJean ranked conveniently right at our pick.

DeJean won't last that long, but if he does... prepare yourselves, Bills fans.

I wouldn’t necessarily be upset with this pick but it would greatly depend on what WR’s are still on the board. 

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, TFBillsfan said:

WR, DE, S or C would seem to be the positions in play.

For our early picks, I would swap in DT for C.

Center will be a need, but if we were going to pick one early it should have been over the last 2 years when we could have gotten Humphrey or Linderbaum. Or even some of the other guys available the past couple of years. This looks like a much weaker draft at Center than we've seen recently.

If we do move on from Morse, I'm guessing they have Bates bridge that spot until better prospects come along.

Good list tho, and agree they need to start thinking about Center (2 years too late)

23 minutes ago, peterpan said:

My favorite target wasn’t on the list.  Also shocked to see JJ McCarthy un so high.  He plays like a 7th round pick to me 

McCarthy is going to be an interesting one to me. He's not a top end guy with the physical intangibles...but in the right system I really think he can do well. He's a guy that may have to helped with a solid run game behind him as well. 

I think of him in the Brock Purdy tier as his ceiling. I could see either him or Bo Nix doing well in Denver.

As for my early favorite prospect...find a way to get that behemoth DT Sweat on the Bills roster.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

8 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

I wouldn’t necessarily be upset with this pick but it would greatly depend on what WR’s are still on the board. 

I think that as the draft approaches, some of the WR prospects will be lowered.  They are easy to see flash play from so the start with pretty high grades.

Likely Bills will have to dip down into players “rated” in the late 30s - 40s if they want WR.  If they miss in round 1, they will sit through a run of WR coming off before their 2nd pick.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

McCarthy is going to be an interesting one to me. He's not a top end guy with the physical intangibles...but in the right system I really think he can do well. He's a guy that may have to helped with a solid run game behind him as well. 

I think of him in the Brock Purdy tier as his ceiling. 

I like the Purdy comparison, but that’s why I’m confused with the McCarthy first round pick hype. I agree with others that he doesn’t seem like a first rounder. He actually reminds me of someone like AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy at Bama back in the day. A game manager on a really good college football team. His draft hype is one of the more confusing things I’ve ever seen. 

The 1st round is gonna go one of two ways for the Bills:

Either:

They'll draft a WR and Bills fans everywhere will rejoice and start booking hotel rooms for Super Bowl weekend.

- or - 

The value at WR won't be right (perhaps because a run on the position has already happened), and they'll draft a safety or defensive lineman, and Bills fans will scream obscenities on social media for five months and possibly burn the city down.

I see no in-between.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 8

17 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Brian Thomas Jr. WR is interesting player to watch.

Love him. 

The way I see it we will have to trade up for him but he has many traits which are Alpha 1 something we desperately need. I would pay up to do it. We need another game breaker . 

Otherwise we likely stay and take one of the others guys but they likely won’t be BPA and a slight reach . 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I like the Purdy comparison, but that’s why I’m confused with the McCarthy first round pick hype. I agree with others that he doesn’t seem like a first rounder. He actually reminds me of someone like AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy at Bama back in the day. A game manager on a really good college football team. His draft hype is one of the more confusing things I’ve ever seen. 

Well, draft hype is a lot of times just that. Hype. Remember when some had Ryan Nassib as a first rounder? A lot of that speculation came from Marrone being his college coach and jumping to the Bills. And then once the talk started to connect them other teams were linked.

Now, I realize no one is going to link him to the Chargers with Harbaugh being they have Herbert. But once one team is thought to have interest in him by one "draft expert" the other experts will parrot that. Happens every year.

20 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

good or bad?

i think he is goign to end up like a kyle duggar who can fit a lot of needs on defense but finds himself playing smart football in the defensive backfield.

5 minutes ago, DJB said:

Love him. 

The way I see it we will have to trade up for him but he has many traits which are Alpha 1 something we desperately need. I would pay up to do it. We need another game breaker . 

Otherwise we likely stay and take one of the others guys but they likely won’t be BPA and a slight reach . 

Depending on how the next few months go and where the players are projected to be picked,

I'd love to see us "go all in" for WR game breakers.   

Trade up for Brian Thomas Jr. 
& if you can keep your 2nd...

Trade up again for Worthy.

It may cost us a few picks next year, but adding 2 WR's of that caliber to this team can make a MASSIVE impact  

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For our early picks, I would swap in DT for C.

Center will be a need, but if we were going to pick one early it should have been over the last 2 years when we could have gotten Humphrey or Linderbaum. Or even some of the other guys available the past couple of years. This looks like a much weaker draft at Center than we've seen recently.

If we do move on from Morse, I'm guessing they have Bates bridge that spot until better prospects come along.

Good list tho, and agree they need to start thinking about Center (2 years too late)

if we only got linderbaum when he was there. or creed humphrey who could have played Guard then gone to center next year for us.

trading up for Elam was weird when we could have just waited and got Linderbaum.

just frustrating

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, boyst said:

good or bad?

i think he is goign to end up like a kyle duggar who can fit a lot of needs on defense but finds himself playing smart football in the defensive backfield.

I'd be more than fine with it. And it would be a very entertaining 24 hours here on the board until our Round 2 pick!

He looks like an even better Duggar who Beane/McD wanted. Can play all over. AND is a very sure-handed kick returner. A perfect backfill for Hyde all around.

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

if we only got linderbaum when he was there. or creed humphrey who could have played Guard then gone to center next year for us.

trading up for Elam was weird when we could have just waited and got Linderbaum.

just frustrating

Linderbaum and Dax Hill were my guys at our spot. Both would be starting today with a major cap savings at their positions too. Hill is probably a better CB than Elam at this point, and would have seen plenty of action all over our defensive backfield last year.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In his first mock draft he has us taking the 3 tech J. Newton at 28, which is exactly where he has him in his top 50. Jeremiah is pretty shrewd so I was a little taken aback given our obvious need for a couple of WRs in what is an outstanding class. You know why he's doing this though. He is looking squarely at McD with his outsized influence on our drafts. I sure hope he is wrong but if he's not I'm going to start tearing up the cobblestones. 
A. Mitchell all day please.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

In his first mock draft he has us taking the 3 tech J. Newton at 28, which is exactly where he has him in his top 50. Jeremiah is pretty shrewd so I was a little taken aback given our obvious need for a couple of WRs in what is an outstanding class. You know why he's doing this though. He is looking squarely at McD with his outsized influence on our drafts. I sure hope he is wrong but if he's not I'm going to start tearing up the cobblestones. 
A. Mitchell all day please.

I dont think it gets that deep into conspiracy theories. I think he sees we currently have only 1 DT under contract for next year, and we need at least 4 for our starting rotation.

By the numbers, DT is a much, much bigger need than WR right now. We at least have enough WRs to field a starting line-up. Not so much along the DL.

41 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The tricky thing with him is that he's shown some of the physical skills to be a guy that you can win because of rather than winning with, but he hasn't really been given the opportunity to prove he can actually do it. Comparing him to guys like McCarron and McElroy for example, he throws with a velocity that those guys could only dream of and he's a far better athlete than them too. He checks a lot of the boxes physically while also showing an ability to get through reads fairly well (especially for his age; he's the youngest QB in the class). And on top of all that, teams will like the fact that he's considered a guy that teammates rally around, a near perfect record as a starting QB, etc.

Having said that, his accuracy comes and goes and he's shown almost literally no ability to put touch on his throws; the latter in particular is very concerning to me. I think he's more a Baker Mayfield type of QB than the Alabama QBs you're comparing him to.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont think it gets that deep into conspiracy theories. I think he sees we currently have only 1 DT under contract for next year, and we need at least 4 for our starting rotation.

By the numbers, DT is a much, much bigger need than WR right now. We at least have enough WRs to field a starting line-up. Not so much along the DL.

Maybe by the numbers but not in terms of leverage/benefit if you consider who we have under centre. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Admittedly I don't watch as much College football as I used to, but Troy Franklin has my eye. I'd like to see us be aggressive and grab him (move a couple spots if need be). I also think we should make a move or sign someone (like a D.Hop) or other comparable top WR. We need to draft a solid WR, but I don't think we should bank the season on him either.

10 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Maybe by the numbers but not in terms of leverage/benefit if you consider who we have under centre. 

Having only Ed out there and an empty DT spot for teams to run through is better than lining up with Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and Harty?

I mean, I get what you are trying to say, but it doesnt really hold water when the other side of the argument is literally not having enough bodies for a starting defense.

Especially when you consider this WR rookie has to share touches and will likely be our 5th Offensive option. Where as the DT would likely start and contribute immediately.

I get we all have WR-brain and are totally locked in, especially with this class. But fact is, we have bigger needs.

I'm sure Beane will address it in FA, and I still think we go WR in the 1st, but folks need to understand there isnt some crazy reasoning behind outsiders guessing we might go Defense instead. We literally do not have enough defenders under contract to field 11 guys.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, babulator said:

Admittedly I don't watch as much College football as I used to, but Troy Franklin has my eye. I'd like to see us be aggressive and grab him (move a couple spots if need be). I also think we should make a move or sign someone (like a D.Hop) or other comparable top WR. We need to draft a solid WR, but I don't think we should bank the season on him either.

In regards to Franklin …I’ve seen couple of comments like Jeremiah here that he “needs to work on his hands” …

I couldn’t cop another guy that can’t hang onto those deep balls … 

Being able to catch the freaking ball should be the No 1 requirement on the list 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I think of him in the Brock Purdy tier as his ceiling. I could see either him or Bo Nix doing well in Denver.

As for my early favorite prospect...find a way to get that behemoth DT Sweat on the Bills roster.

JJ has a great arm, great mobility and decent size at 6-3….what physical traits is he missing?

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Having only Ed out there and an empty DT spot for teams to run through is better than lining up with Diggs, Shakir, Kincaid, and Harty?

I mean, I get what you are trying to say, but it doesnt really hold water when the other side of the argument is literally not having enough bodies for a starting defense.

Especially when you consider this WR rookie has to share touches and will likely be our 5th Offensive option. Where as the DT would likely start and contribute immediately.

I get we all have WR-brain and are totally locked in, especially with this class. But fact is, we have bigger needs.

I'm sure Beane will address it in FA, and I still think we go WR in the 1st, but folks need to understand there isnt some crazy reasoning behind outsiders guessing we might go Defense instead. We literally do not have enough defenders under contract to field 11 guys.

There are other ways of addressing the DL needs. This draft is actually pretty deep at those positions. You don't have to take the best DT prospect with your first round pick, especially a 3 tech if you feel Ed should be seeing the field more. The top shelf receivers in this historic class are all probably immediate impact players but while the class is deep there is a significant drop off after the first/early second. Right now we are positioned to get one of those guys but we probably won't be back end of the second round. An immediate impact WR would absolutely improve the passing game overall by adding a dimension that is clearly lacking.

9 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

JJ has a great arm, great mobility and decent size at 6-3….what physical traits is he missing?

Physically, he's tall yes. But he's pretty lean for his frame l. And yes, that can be corrected with time and training in an NFL program.

He also has a few mechanical issues and tends to lock onto a target too long. Pressure gets him nervous. Even unpressured he doesn't seem to see the field too great and will force throws because of deciding before the play where he's throwing rather than read a defense.

It's a very deep WR class.  Unfortunately, there are a ton of teams that need WR help and I expect 6....maybe even 7 to be off the board by the end of the first round.  It's a great year for OTs, as well, but with Brown taking a step last year, I am not sure that is a position you want to take in the first round. 

I guess, worst case scenario, the top 6-7 WRs come off the board before we pick but, in turn, that forces a very good player at another position that normally would be picked a lot higher down the board to us.  I guess we just have to hope that whoever that may be is at a position of need for us as well.  I really don't want to have to trade up, but if Beane is serious about a particular WR, then I guess I'm open to it.  But it better be a bigger guy that can run and stretch the field a bit.  We need an explosive play maker and I just don't want to settle for another 6' guy that runs 4.5 or whatever that runs average routes and can't create separation consistently. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

In regards to Franklin …I’ve seen couple of comments like Jeremiah here that he “needs to work on his hands” …

I couldn’t cop another guy that can’t hang onto those deep balls … 

Being able to catch the freaking ball should be the No 1 requirement on the list 

I'll start watching more video as we move forward, but I agree we need guys with hands 1st. I like the kid out of Texas too Mitchell. I think we need a bigger bodied guy that can get downfield ...AND catch :P (sorry Gabe)

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

One of the reasons you pay big $ for a QB like Allen is the idea that he can elevate the play of those around him.  Of course, that only goes so far - you still need some playmakers.

But, they have only 1 DT (Oliver).  Can they afford to re-sign Daquan Jones?  That would help address that need so they don’t HAVE to find a starter at DT in the draft.  Safety is also a very lean position.

51 minutes ago, sven233 said:

It's a very deep WR class.  Unfortunately, there are a ton of teams that need WR help and I expect 6....maybe even 7 to be off the board by the end of the first round.  It's a great year for OTs, as well, but with Brown taking a step last year, I am not sure that is a position you want to take in the first round. 

I guess, worst case scenario, the top 6-7 WRs come off the board before we pick but, in turn, that forces a very good player at another position that normally would be picked a lot higher down the board to us.  I guess we just have to hope that whoever that may be is at a position of need for us as well.  I really don't want to have to trade up, but if Beane is serious about a particular WR, then I guess I'm open to it.  But it better be a bigger guy that can run and stretch the field a bit.  We need an explosive play maker and I just don't want to settle for another 6' guy that runs 4.5 or whatever that runs average routes and can't create separation consistently. 

I think there will be more QBs than usual in round 1 and maybe not quite as many WRs, but there will be another run on WR early- mid 2nd.  If the Bills want a decent WR, I think they probably have to take one in round 1 or maybe trade back to top of 2nd.  I think the top dozen WR could be gone by 60.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

Xavier Legette is going to be the "can't believe everyone nitpicked all of his flaws instead of just using their eyeballs" WR from this class in a few years

He is intriguing with his great size and what looks to be very good speed.  Still,  where was he and what was he doing before this year?  Of what I’ve seen, he looks very good to me, but let’s see how Sr Bowl practices play out for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.