Joe Brady Officially Promoted as Bills OC!

KDIGGZ

49 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He earned the job IMHO.  Doesn't mean he has nothing to prove, because he still has a lot to prove.  But he took someone else's offense and did enough with that to help this team go from 11th place and out of the playoffs to division winner and #2 seed.  

Unfortunately for Joe, he got the job in a season where the coaching staff as a whole is on a hot seat.  

Great call btw on the bills running the table to finish the season. You were given a lot of flack in that thread but you deserve your flowers. 👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

That's not great, seeing as the analytics on Dorsey for his part of 2023 were better than Brady's portion of 2023.

Don't take my word for it, look it up.

The only analytics that matter are Wins and Losses.  The bottom line, Dorseys last 6 games the offense averaged a pathetic 20 PPG and went 2-4 (and were lucky to not be 0-6).  Brady's first 6 games the offense averaged 8 more PPG and the team was 5-1 and went on to win out and both win the division and the #2 seed.

Dorsey was an issue, there is no spin that can be made that suggests he was not a big part of the problem.  Worse yet, Dorsey's "analytics" were heavily skewed by 3 games against bad defenses week 2, week 3, and week 4.  The rest of the season Dorsey and the offense stunk and had major issues.  

Not to mention the next decision the Bills make that you like will also be the first one you have ever liked.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

That's not great, seeing as the analytics on Dorsey for his part of 2023 were better than Brady's portion of 2023.

Did you watch the football games or not?  Which offense looked more competent and reliable?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, eball said:

Did you watch the football games or not?  Which offense looked more competent and reliable?

The one that did not have a fetish about making sure Josh Allen did not run.  That seemed like the only meaningful difference between the two offenses. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Then why didn’t you? Why didn’t you design, implement, develop and coordinate the passing attack that was revolutionary? 

Joe Brady played a massive role in that LSU did, don’t believe me go ask Joe Burrow. To claim otherwise is pure ignorance. 

For sure, I was surprised by the numbers as I found them, but it’s important to remember this isn’t even a piece if the cake, maybe just some light decoration. 

Key one for me in the INTs over 9 games, that’s a huge improvement. 

So bradys impressive resume is his college career with superstars who played a ton of weaker opponents? Cool

39 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The one that did not have a fetish about making sure Josh Allen did not run.  That seemed like the only meaningful difference between the two offenses. 

Not to mention Diggs production completely fell off the map under brady

40 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I guess you didn’t watch the games either. 

7 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Josh Allen

Dorsey: 9 Games

350 attempts - 2660 yards - 19 TDs - 11 INT - 7 rushing TD

Brady: 9 Games

298 attempts - 2095 yards - 14 TDs - 7 INT - 8 rushing TD

James Cook

Dorsey: 9 games 

120 carries - 615 yards - 5.1 YPC

Brady: 9 Games

153 carries - 647 yards - 4.2 YPC 

Not much you can take away, also doesn’t account for weather, team, and the challenges of it not being an offense designed by Brady. 

What was diggs stats after dorsey?

Great news for the Bills!

Brady took a declining, dysfunctional offense, one not scoring much in the first half,  repeatedly forcing them to dig themselves out of holes, and where almost no players were rising to their potential, and overnight turned it into an efficient, diverse, more physical, run heavy offense capable moving the ball and scoring against any team.

A dramatic turnaround, and in the middle of the season, when all of Dorsey's awful and incompetent  habits were well ingrained and becoming the status quo.

This spring and summer I hope he works very closely with Josh, Stef, Cook, Shakir... the line, and the tight ends to create the best offense in the league.

If McDermott stays on as DC for one more year, and I think he will, the Bills may have two of the best coordinators in all of football.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You are kidding right, that you think Dorsey was doing just as well as Brady did--or better-?

The only way someone can be so ignorant of the fact that Brady led a far superior offense was if they did not watch football AD, after Dorsey.

Like Josh said, "It had to be done."

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:31 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean he wasn’t totally fair to completely evaluate him after taking over mid season and he did some good things. But this is the safe, non go all out for a SB move that McDermott loves. Why not interview Moore or EB? 

hopefully, Brady will do great things with a full offseason. But it was crazy how the passing game regressed. Hoping for the best though. 

Did you watch some of the Chargers' games this year?

Moore may end up being a consistently good OC one day, but his offenses don't look so hot to me.  Was also not a fan of the lose-to-good-teams Dallas non-physical offense of last year. 

I prefer the physical, run like hell, diverse approach we saw from Brady, and this off season he will make it into his/their own...

Maybe Moore for an assistant coach of QB coach.  He may not get another OC job for a bit after this year.

24 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Did you watch some of the Chargers' games this year?

Moore may end up being a consistently good OC one day, but his offenses don't look so hot to me.  Was also not a fan of the lose-to-good-teams Dallas non-physical offense of last year. 

I prefer the physical, run like hell, diverse approach we saw from Brady, and this off season he will make it into his/their own...

Maybe Moore for an assistant coach of QB coach.  He may not get another OC job for a bit after this year.

I agree with you, but Moore's already been hired as the OC in Philly. 

10 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Anything can happen any game.  Beating KC is not an automatic SB bid.  Cause they had a bad game against KC you think it would have played out the same way?  Not the way things happen in the NFL. 

Again. Obviously. Beating g KC is an automatic bid to the next step and I liked our chances against Baltimore and even more against SF.

Can't say I'm surprised by the hire. McBeane are loyal guys and like to promote from within. 

Brady had Josh running the ball a lot more and the offense seemed like they were having more fun out there. Total yards and points are pretty comparable between the Brady games and Dorsey games. 

The Brady-offense was mediocre to bad in the wins against Chiefs, Chargers, Patriots, and Dolphins. I wonder how Brady would be viewed on here had Toney not lined up offside. Or if the DEF didn't force 4 turnovers vs the Pats. Or if the Dolphins had the punt return for a TD instead of us. 

Ironically enough the defense saw a bigger improvement after we fired Dorsey than the offense did. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

What did your eyes see?

My eyes saw that it seems like with Dorsey, there were some explosive plays but coupled with duds. Brady I don't feel had a ton of explosive moments but there was a balance there. I think in the long run we'll see that both are going to be about the same. 

16 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Can't say I'm surprised by the hire. McBeane are loyal guys and like to promote from within. 

Brady had Josh running the ball a lot more and the offense seemed like they were having more fun out there. Total yards and points are pretty comparable between the Brady games and Dorsey games. 

The Brady-offense was mediocre to bad in the wins against Chiefs, Chargers, Patriots, and Dolphins. I wonder how Brady would be viewed on here had Toney not lined up offside. Or if the DEF didn't force 4 turnovers vs the Pats. Or if the Dolphins had the punt return for a TD instead of us. 

Ironically enough the defense saw a bigger improvement after we fired Dorsey than the offense did. 

Maybe because they went out and signed a run stuffer to fill the void for Daquan Jones and traded for a CB to fill in Tres roll. McD always gets the guys he needs for his D. O always takes leftovers. 

I’m not a fan of the Brady hire but I think he can do alright if Beane gets him some actual weapons instead of looking for cheap diamond in the roughs. Really we are in situation where if Brady succeeds he’ll most likely get a HC job and we are looking for his replacement in a year or two. Or he fails snd you’re looking for his replacement. I would have liked to see McDaniels here, chances are he never gets a HC job again for a long time. His resume as a OC speaks for itself. 

Two rookies OCs hired in a row…. During “the window”.

I’m really tired of McDermott and these choices. Well, looks like we are all set at Offensive Coordination!—what..?? Not even seeing what’s out there. All so McDermott as another puppet and potential fall guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Two rookies OCs hired in a row…. During “the window”.

I’m really tired of McDermott and these choices. Well, looks like we are all set at Offensive Coordination!—what..?? Not even seeing what’s out there. All so McDermott as another puppet and potential fall guy. 

Technically 2024 will be his 4th season calling plays in the NFL.   Got fired late in his second season as OC in Carolina and OC'd 9 games for Buffalo last year.   He also had experience as the passing game coordinator of the greatest college passing offense ever at LSU in 2019.   I agree that he has a lot to prove yet but he will at least be more experienced designing and calling plays than Dorsey was in 2021-2022.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Technically 2024 will be his 4th season calling plays in the NFL.   Got fired late in his second season as OC in Carolina and OC'd 9 games for Buffalo last year.   He also had experience as the passing game coordinator of the greatest college passing offense ever at LSU in 2019.   I agree that he has a lot to prove yet but he will at least be more experienced designing and calling plays than Dorsey was in 2021-2022.

Geez, I’d rather I wasn’t reminded of his Carolina stint. 

I loved watching that LSU offense. And I could have pass coordinated to moderate-great success. 

I really wish they actually did a real interview process and brought in actual candidates.

With that being said, Brady was clearly a better play caller than Dorsey.

Bills passing play designs were frequently bad, with WRs ending up in the same area, Allen not having any real safety valve throw, and option routes where the QB and WR read the defense differently. They also would read deep-to-shallow, putting too much pressure on the o-line.

I’m hoping Brady can make things a little bit “easier”. Everything felt so hard with the Dorsey offense, like everything had to go perfectly for a successful play.

Burrow, Jefferson, Chase, Marshall, Edwards-Helaire. 

The top two WR are all pros, 3rd WR was a 2nd round pick. RB was a 1st round pick. QB is an all pro. It’s a better offense than most NFL teams have. He ran into the most talented offense in college football the last 20+ years. You can take from that what you wish. He was part of a bad talent, bad team with Carolina. Then he had Allen for half a season.

He has done about what you would expect with talent he has been given. I don’t think he has done far better or far worse for that matter. I’m sure he wasn’t turning down jobs for being an OC before he joined the Bills. So largely unwanted prior to this stint with Buffalo. Safe and not overly inspiring. Disappointing we didn’t at least kick the tires a bit but not surprising.

4 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Geez, I’d rather I wasn’t reminded of his Carolina stint. 

I loved watching that LSU offense. And I could have pass coordinated to moderate-great success. 

The problem wasn’t Brady, it was Rhule.  Rhule is living in the past and wanted a run heavy team, and Brady wanted to reach to the talent in Carolina at that time in the passing weapons.

Regarding Brady’s designation change, I see it as a positive.  He was creative and it showed with a win streak once he took over against playoff teams.

• Simon unpinned this topic
21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The bottom line, Dorseys last 6 games the offense averaged a pathetic 20 PPG and went 2-4 (and were lucky to not be 0-6).

Or could have been 3-3 with only 11 "men" on the field vs Broncos which Coach Dorsey had no control over.

18 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Yeah, I definitely think Brady was better than Dorsey...but he wasn't great. He might be the best guy to get a season to install his offense...but a real search and welcoming of different ideas would have been the right way to go. 

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Or could have been 3-3 with only 11 "men" on the field vs Broncos which Coach Dorsey had no control over.

Could have been 4-2 if McDs D could stop McCorkle…. I know, I know, they had injuries. Still ***** hilarious. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:14 PM, MR8 said:

I guess we're just on opposite sides of this situation because clearly we see the evidence showing different things.  I think the massive changes from the 2020/2021 seasons to the 2022/2023 seasons were more than just a different play caller.  It's a schematic change away from what Josh and the offensive personnel do best. 

Sure production is there, but you have Josh F'in Allen lol bro is SUPERMAN, you better produce lol.  He covers TONS of ills with his legs, his arm, being impossible to sack etc... when people throw out how we win and he puts up video game numbers as an endorsement of coaching, I'll throw back that Allen is an alien the likes of which we've never seen.... He was on the Ascent with Daboll, imagine how good he'd be if they crafted the offense better to him. 

Short outs, screens, and short routes were a staple of this offense... That's a massive change from Daboll.  McDermott said in 2022 he wanted the offense to take fewer risks... Well the OC works for him, and the seasons entire script was short low risk passing. 

Why does Josh always look better in the 4th quarter when the chips are down and he needs a play?  Because they let Josh be Josh ... He runs, he throws all over the field to more vertical routes, he superman's some hoes!  He goes full on Josh.   But for 3 quarters leading up to that, game in and game out for 2 years, it looks so difficult.  

Why has Diggs' average depth of target in dropped to below 10 yards in 10 of his past 19 games and it's over 2 yards shorter than his career avg in Buffalo?  Dumb ass bubble screens and stuff HE'S NOT DESIGNED TO DO. Dude is one of the best route runners creating separation down field and we delegated him to gadget guy. Against KC he only had 2 targets over 7 yards.... One was the deep ball and one was 15 yards down field, the other 6 were: -7, -1, 1, 4, 5, 5.... Bro, come on... Tell me this isn't conservative hold the ball use short passes like runs, and control the clock football.  That's NOT Josh Allen, it's playing conservative and frankly scared.

It's how the Bills play now since Daboll left.  Dorsey did it, Brady did it ... It's a schematic plan and it comes from the HC and how HE wants the game to go.  Few challenges down field, just enough to keep them honest, short high percentage passes hoping for YAC.  

It's what you do when you have Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and no WRs... Not Josh Allen, Diggs, Cook, Kincaid.... 

But we can agree to disagree here man.  I just see a dramatic shift in offensive philosophy with how they constructed game plans, route trees, and eliminated the air raid scheme they would employ at will under Daboll. Everything looked difficult for the offense, because they're not playing to their strengths... So what are they playing to?

JMO I guess, but McDermott's desire to play mistake free football with field position, and let his D dominate.  Which 20 years ago with Kyle Orton sure.... But it's 2023 and you have QB1 JA17.... This scheme is a joke, not because these coaches don't know what they're doing, it because it's what the HC wants.

Yes, yes, and more yes. 

It's not even on the offensive side that people excuse McD for, they did it for years with Frasier. Frasier was carrying out McD's strategy and philosophy. If McD didn't like it at any point during all of those years, he could have fired him. 

There has been one constant problem in our postseason disappointments, and anyone being objective can see it. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree that he has a lot to prove yet but he will at least be more experienced designing and calling plays than Dorsey was in 2021-2022.

I hope this experience pays off in spades. In 2021 we were 3rd in scoring and in 2022 we were 2nd.  This year we were 6th. I'd take getting back to 2nd or 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.