2024 WR Draft Class

8 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Will FSU’s Johnny Wilson be a WR or TE in the NFL?  Intriguing option to lineup outside in redzone and go jump ball 

I just don't buy him. We already have big redzone targets in Kincaid and Knox. Someone is going to take Wilson too early gambling he might turn into the next Plexico Burress, and I think they lose that bet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Will FSU’s Johnny Wilson be a WR or TE in the NFL?  Intriguing option to lineup outside in redzone and go jump ball 

I’d love to snag Wilson….in rd 5

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Big guy for sure but he has incredibly suspect hands. He will not separate in the NFL and I just see him struggling if everything is going to be contested with his average hands. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think Diggs is 99 percent here in 2024…not even worth considering otherwise as they are handcuffed to him …

I was referring to you wanting two WR in the top 3 picks … seems a bit of a waste with them wanting to play more 12 and with Shakir and I think they get a cheap guy in FA as well…

Take another guy Day 3 sure …

Mostly agree with this, provided they get an  "alpha," "1b," "X," "potential #1 WR" type prospect (Thomas, Mitchell, Franklin, Coleman types) in 1st.

Wonder when this 2nd wave of WRs (listed above) start to come off the board? Or could it just be a steady cadence of 7 or even 8 1st round WRs -- a WR selected every 4th or 5th pick? Could even bleed into the next perceived tier of prospects.

We can reasonably assume someone out of the 3rd wave of Roman Wilson, Ladd McConkey, Xavier Legette, Ja'Lynn Polk, and others, will turn out to be super productive early on in their career. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I just don't buy him. We already have big redzone targets in Kincaid and Knox. Someone is going to take Wilson too early gambling he might turn into the next Plexico Burress, and I think they lose that bet.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d love to snag Wilson….in rd 5

47 minutes ago, 947 said:

Johnny Wilson looks like the next Kelvin Benjamin.

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Big guy for sure but he has incredibly suspect hands. He will not separate in the NFL and I just see him struggling if everything is going to be contested with his average hands. 

Steve Smith was not kind to Devontez Walker. But he absolutely DESTROYED Johnny Wilson!

Smith: 6'7" 237 lbs - he is not a good multitasker. That boy can't chew gum and tie his shoes at the same time. You hear this about a lot of people; "he's a freak".... I mean, maybe at night But it ain't on the Football field! I'm just telling ya.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Tank Dell was injured during critical part of the season. I'd like a more physical WR that can contribute the entire season. One that can take the NFL punishment

He broke his leg. You can break your leg whether you are 5'9 or 6'5. 

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Johnny Wilson looks like the next Kelvin Benjamin.

He looks borderline undraftable to me.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Steve Smith was not kind to Devontez Walker. But he absolutely DESTROYED Johnny Wilson!

Smith: 6'7" 237 lbs - he is not a good multitasker. That boy can't chew gum and tie his shoes at the same time. You hear this about a lot of people; "he's a freak".... I mean, maybe at night But it ain't on the Football field! I'm just telling ya.

I gotta watch Steve Smith’s rankings. Beane loves that guy.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That was from a quick rundown he did on a number of guys. But yeah, he wasn't kind to Walker and he was brutal to Johnny Wilson:

I actually found the bit at the end of the video the most interesting about fits and the role of the X vs the Z in the NFL and college. He did have some interesting takes on the receivers though. Called both Texas kids body catchers. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually found the bit at the end of the video the most interesting about fits and the role of the X vs the Z in the NFL and college. He did have some interesting takes on the receivers though. Called both Texas kids body catchers. 

I haven't watched his Adonai Mitchell deep dive, but I think someone here said he took that back in regards to Mitchell, which makes sense.

20 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I haven't watched his Adonai Mitchell deep dive, but I think someone here said he took that back in regards to Mitchell, which makes sense.

Yea that would make sense because I confess that wasn't something that jumped out at me on Mitchell. 

30 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yeah he did.  1 drop in his last 2 seasons of college ball iirc

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah he did.  1 drop in his last 2 seasons of college ball iirc

This is true, but he barely played 2 seasons ago (17 targets that year). He played a lot more in 2021 when he had 6 drops on 52 targets. I do think in general he has good hands though and he showed the ability to extend away from his body, reaching behind, etc. to pluck the ball out of the air. If your main priority is limiting drops, he's one of the best options in the class (I may lean towards Ricky Pearsall for best hands in the class). I don't really think Mitchell is someone I would take if I'm looking for someone that will win 50/50 balls though (though he certainly has the height and length to potentially become good at it).

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Gabe Davis was actually our X. But I don’t think the X is what it used to be. Back in Smith’s day the X was the clear WR1. Now it can be X, Z, slot, or even Y as the WR1.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Gabe Davis was actually our X. But I don’t think the X is what it used to be. Back in Smith’s day the X was the clear WR1. Now it can be X, Z, slot, or even Y as the WR1.

The Bills actually mixed up a lot whether Stef was the X or Gabe was the X. They both played the X and both played the Z. They were used relatively interchangeably. I think it did start to slant towards Gabe between Joe taking over and Gabe getting hurt.

Edited by GunnerBill

Just now, GunnerBill said:

The Bills actually mixed up a lot whether Stef was the X or Gabe was the X. They both played the X and both played the Z. They were used relatively interchangeably. I think it did start to slant towards Gabe between Joe taking over and Gabe getting hurt.

I’m sure they were interchangeable and moved around but Davis definitely played the role of X mostly from what I saw. 

But it’s not like the X WR of old. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Here’s a good breakdown I just found of our current WRs and what we need by Joe B.

IMG_4012.thumb.jpeg.0e183a5d23694ec18545de471669d063.jpeg

https://theathletic.com/5273351/2024/02/16/buffalo-bills-offseason-wide-receivers-2/

I agree the need now is for an X. I think Stef should transition much more to the Z and even to the slot in certain packages and I think Joe Brady went much more in that direction than Dorsey who was still using Stef as the X plenty in the first half of the year. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My guy! So happy for the success Matt Miller has had. He is a really good evaluator and he is a good dude. I'm pretty much self taught in my amateur attempts at evaluating prospects but of the stuff I have learnt from others most of it is from Matt. When ESPN let Todd McShay go it was like an NFL team cutting a veteran receiver right after it drafted a stud in the first round of the draft - get younger, cheaper and a higher ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I feel like he may have misspoke? He literally talks about how there's a ton of depth at WR beyond the first round and then says it's a bad draft if you don't take one in the first?

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, any time I hear "body catcher" - it turns me off big time. Hands are one of the first things that comes out of Beane's mouth when discussing what he looks for first in a WR. It just added to the list of things that has me out on Xavier Worthy as a potential Bills prospect. And hearing him say of Mitchell "90% Body Catcher" - oof! But I haven't watched his focused breakdown of Mitchell yet, so maybe that percentage changed with more film.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

this is simply not good enough. We need more on offense.

I don't mind retaining Harty with Beane's proposed restructure. Cutting him would save 3.2m and he proposed a restructure that would save us 2.2m. So you're essentially paying a million to have a guy here who will have a year of development with Josh and you're not really relying on him as anything but depth at a depth price.

An extra year in the system could show growth, he has great speed, and is a good Return guy. Worst case scenario, he's your 5th or 6th WR (who hardly sees the field), returns kicks for you, and costs you just a million. Best case being Josh and him develop a chemistry in Year 2 together that wasn't there in Year 1.

But if we're doing that and honestly even if we're NOT doing that - I don't see the logic in retaining Sherfield. I would MUCH rather sign a different WR in FA or Draft a guy in the mid rounds for that role.

But at least he still has Round 1 WR on his list. I know you want MASSIVE changes everywhere and a WR in Round 1 AND Round 2 - but I don't see that as a realistic possibility.

Like I said before, the most you're going to see is a Round 1 WR, a mid tier FA, and a high Day 3 Draft Pick with an outside chance of moving back into the bottom of Round 3 after we've spent 2 other picks in between at other positions.

And even that opinion of mine is considered extreme in comparison to what Buscaglia and others see as happening.

This is where I am today - If we don’t fix the D line none of this will matter.  

I’m going to need someone to explain how we plan on getting to Mahomes and Burrow.  

I’m pretty confident in the O as is.  Because I believe we have a hall of fame QB.  That will utilize Diggs, Kincaid, Shakir, and whatever bodies we throw out there.  And, we can run the ball bc our oline is nasty.

But we’re an Ed Oliver injury away from the season being a potential disaster.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m going to need someone to explain how we plan on getting to Mahomes and Burrow.  

I’m pretty confident in the O as is.  Because I believe we have a hall of fame QB.  That will utilize Diggs, Kincaid, Shakir, and whatever bodies we throw out there.  And, we can run the ball bc our oline is nasty.

I’m pretty much taking the year off…😉

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If they don’t retain or sign a few DL before the draft, they may be forced to go that way.

Literally every single year some position on the defensive line will be a need. It is never a finished product. We need to just make it a point to finally give Allen a WR with true blue chip traits. There's really no excuse this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, any time I hear "body catcher" - it turns me off big time. Hands are one of the first things that comes out of Beane's mouth when discussing what he looks for first in a WR. It just added to the list of things that has me out on Xavier Worthy as a potential Bills prospect. And hearing him say of Mitchell "90% Body Catcher" - oof! But I haven't watched his focused breakdown of Mitchell yet, so maybe that percentage changed with more film.

Steve Smith has A. Mitchell in his top 5. So relax.His hands are second to none in this draft.

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Let’s check in again on the D Line situation after FA ….its going to have to be better than what it is now…

I see some people making excuses for Oliver wearing a cloak of invisibility in the Chiefs game because he had no DE help… so the Bills better have some plan to upgrade the position beyond not cutting Miller, and a third round pick,,,

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Steve Smith has A. Mitchell in his top 5. So relax.His hands are second to none in this draft.

Like I said, I haven't watched his focused review on him that he posted yesterday. 

But that's a big differential in opinion to go from what Smith said about him in his first quick review of WR's to his focused breakdown.

He just started doing these. I'll be interested to see if he stays in his Top 5 when he's done with all of them.

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Literally every single year some position on the defensive line will be a need. It is never a finished product. We need to just make it a point to finally give Allen a WR with true blue chip traits. There's really no excuse this year.

I agree that our focus should clearly be on getting a WR in Round 1. There isn't a mock I've done that has me taking anything but WR if any of the Top 6 guys I've identified as sure fire 1st Rounders are available.

However....

With Higgins and Pittman being Franchised and say Mike Evans is Franchised or retained (which is a likely possibility). And then others from the next group of guys are retained - we could be in a situation where teams turn to Round 1 to address WR that weren't expecting to.

In that situation, if 3 WR's go between MHJ, Odunze, and Nabers being picked and when we pick (likely 20+ picks) and we aren't able to move up from lack of a partner and/or them going way higher than expected.

And they have the next highest graded WR being a 2nd Round Grade and a large cluster of other WR's that grade out similarly. AND there's a Defensive Lineman sticking out on the board like a sore thumb at a position of need that should have gone in the first 15-20 picks or so like a Byron Murphy....

I think we'd be doing ourselves a disservice to take the 7th WR off the board there simply for the sake of taking a WR in Round 1 and not upsetting people in the moment.

Though if that were to happen, I would hope he would know he'd be able to move up from 60 and would look to do so to get a guy they like from the next cluster of graded WR's.

It's a very specific scenario and one that I'm not rooting for. But it's just to say that even those of us who want a WR in Round 1 shouldn't be closed off to specific situations where going DL in Round 1 is the right option.

• Agree 2

So I don't watch College Football... like at ALL!!!

That said, I just watched YouTube highlights :lol: of Brian Thomas Jr., Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin and Malachi Corely. 

They're highlights and I understand what that means.

That said, in watching those highlights, the players I most want to see in Buffalo because I believe they are the modern NFL are, in this order:

1) Keon Coleman 

T-2 Malachi Corley 

T-2 Troy Franklin 

4) Brian Thomas Jr.

Coleman, to me, is a step above Franklin and Corley just from watching the highlights. In reading scouting reports of him, I thought he'd be a big slug who couldn't separate. Doesn't look that way to me. Dude is elusive and even returned punts in college.

I honestly only watched Corley because of the recent buzz and the fact that in Kiper's latest "First Draft" podcast, he said Corley was the guy he really wanted to put in the 1st round. I see why. Dude's a BEAST!!! My only issue with drafting him is I wonder if it maximizes his skillset playing with Josh ...

Which is actually why Corley and Franklin tied to me. I think Franklin is PERFECT in terms of this offense and what it needs outside of Diggs and Shakir.

I am impressed with Brian Thomas Jr's speed and downfield tracking... but that was like all I saw from him. I also understand that playing with Nabers he always got the opponent's #2 corner. So is he just a one trick pony up against inferior competition or is he really that good with the full route tree in his back pocket... just never needed it????

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

So I don't watch College Football... like at ALL!!!

That said, I just watched YouTube highlights :lol: of Brian Thomas Jr., Keon Coleman, Troy Franklin and Malachi Corely. 

They're highlights and I understand what that means.

That said, in watching those highlights, the players I most want to see in Buffalo because I believe they are the modern NFL are, in this order:

1) Keon Coleman 

T-2 Malachi Corley 

T-2 Troy Franklin 

4) Brian Thomas Jr.

Coleman, to me, is a step above Franklin and Corley just from watching the highlights. In reading scouting reports of him, I thought he'd be a big slug who couldn't separate. Doesn't look that way to me. Dude is elusive and even returned punts in college.

I honestly only watched Corley because of the recent buzz and the fact that in Kiper's latest "First Draft" podcast, he said Corley was the guy he really wanted to put in the 1st round. I see why. Dude's a BEAST!!! My only issue with drafting him is I wonder if it maximizes his skillset playing with Josh ...

Which is actually why Corley and Franklin tied to me. I think Franklin is PERFECT in terms of this offense and what it needs outside of Diggs and Shakir.

I am impressed with Brian Thomas Jr's speed and downfield tracking... but that was like all I saw from him. I also understand that playing with Nabers he always got the opponent's #2 corner. So is he just a one trick pony up against inferior competition or is he really that good with the full route tree in his back pocket... just never needed it????

Again, Corley looks great. He's a helluva Slot.

But he's Slot. Not even an Inside/Outside WR. A TRUE Slot.

We have Slot's. But we need an Outside WR. Drafting Corley only removes Shakir or Kincaid from the field and leaves the hole vacated from Gabe Davis remaining on the Outside.

As high as Steve Smith was on him, even he said you can't expect to take him from his practically exclusive Slot usage in a small college and stick him Outside in the NFL.

Thomas Jr., Franklin, and Coleman are fits for us. Corley is not. 

• Agree 1