2024 WR Draft Class

7 minutes ago, JMM said:

Help me out with McConkey. I watched a lot of Georgia the last few years. I'm no expert of course but to me but he looked like a smallish, not overly fast guy, a mid round pick that might be a nice slot option. I don't get it.

He's legit.  I've watched Georgia quite a bit and he jumps off the screen.   Toying with SEC defenders out of the slot. 

I actually prefer Pearsall, who seems more athletic/explosive, but I'm not sure where people see slot WR's playing in this Offense..

We already have a high potential slot WR for next year in Shakir and Diggs is a guy who we should probably think about transitioning more to the slot as well.  

IMO, with that knowledge, along with Davis likely leaving in FA, it seems like the Bills should probably be in the market of bringing in multiple outside WR's. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Had a dream last night that Harrison fell to the 11th pick and the Bills traded up to 11 but drafted a defensive end instead. One of the worst nightmares I've had.

Truly harrowing!

27 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

I've seen some other draft nerds not like Troy Franklin either.  

Interesting, what are the knocks? Thin frame?

I love this discussion, but I think we have  to brace for the possibility of not taking a WR in round 1.  I don’t know what Beane might be able to pull off to address DT, DE in FA, but I know that the cap situation is bad and, despite what some want to believe, the cap is not completely elastic (meaning you can’t just keep kicking money down the road forever).  At present, the team doesn’t even have enough DL to start, much less have backups.  That is real and, while it is fun to think that the Bills could just score every drive if only they could add Thomas Jr, that isn’t true.  LSU had BOTH Malik Nabors AND Thomas Jr AND Jayden Daniels at QB and they didn’t score every drive against college defenses.  Whether in 1st or 2nd and 3rd, DL needs attention.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I love this discussion, but I think we have  to brace for the possibility of not taking a WR in round 1.  I don’t know what Beane might be able to pull off to address DT, DE in FA, but I know that the cap situation is bad and, despite what some want to believe, the cap is not completely elastic (meaning you can’t just keep kicking money down the road forever).  At present, the team doesn’t even have enough DL to start, much less have backups.  That is real and, while it is fun to think that the Bills could just score every drive if only they could add Thomas Jr, that isn’t true.  LSU had BOTH Malik Nabors AND Thomas Jr AND Jayden Daniels at QB and they didn’t score every drive against college defenses.  Whether in 1st or 2nd and 3rd, DL needs attention.

Its not happening.  They are taking a WR round 1.  My bet, they even move up to take one.  If one thing this season showed, McDermott will make a good defense no matter who he has.  As long as he time to get everyone in the right spots, he will have a good enough defense.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

It’s not happening.  They are taking a WR round 1.  My bet, they even move up to take one.  If one thing this season showed, McDermott will make a good defense no matter who he has.  As long as he time to get everyone in the right spots, he will have a good enough defense.

I am not against a receiver in round 1, but I’m not in for a trade up unless it costs only a 5th or later pick.  The only realistic trade up seems to be for Brian Thomas and I’m not sure he is a great deal better than Legette or Franklin or even Devonte’s Walker (in 2nd).

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

So the problem with this thinking is you can say literally every year that a team has needs at OL, DL, secondary…any position. At some point a team has to pull the trigger and get your all world QB top shelf weapons and stop expecting him to always elevate lower level guys. I’m not saying they have to get a WR, but you can’t go the Packers model and never use high picks on weapons for your QB 

11 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am not against a receiver in round 1, but I’m not in for a trade up unless it costs only a 5th or later pick.  The only realistic trade up seems to be for Brian Thomas and I’m not sure he is a great deal better than Legette or Franklin or even Devonte’s Walker (in 2nd).

So many teams are looking for WR this year and this is considered a better WR draft.  In 2022, there was 13 WR taken before pick 55.  There is no waiting.  They need to take one in round 1.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

He's legit.  I've watched Georgia quite a bit and he jumps off the screen.   Toying with SEC defenders out of the slot. 

I actually prefer Pearsall, who seems more athletic/explosive, but I'm not sure where people see slot WR's playing in this Offense..

We already have a high potential slot WR for next year in Shakir and Diggs is a guy who we should probably think about transitioning more to the slot as well.  

IMO, with that knowledge, along with Davis likely leaving in FA, it seems like the Bills should probably be in the market of bringing in multiple outside WR's. 

I mentioned Noah Brown as a possible Gabe Davis replacement as a veteran, I also think Cornelius Johnson is a guy that could be an outside threat in the NFL.  He might never be great but think could be at the very least similar to  Romeo Dobbs. I'd also take a WR in Round 2 or 3 assuming we get a DL in Round 1.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Ya Digg? said:

So the problem with this thinking is you can say literally every year that a team has needs at OL, DL, secondary…any position. At some point a team has to pull the trigger and get your all world QB top shelf weapons and stop expecting him to always elevate lower level guys. I’m not saying they have to get a WR, but you can’t go the Packers model and never use high picks on weapons for your QB 

Kinda like KC did?  No argument that receiver is a need and a very important one, but the Bills’ literally don’t have a full DL under contract and they are $50M over the cap right now.  Do you want to see Eli Ankou start at DT (or even be on the roster?) or Kingsley Jonathan be the top backup DE?

I am not saying that they can’t draft a WR at 28 or even move up a spot or two to do so, but I think rounds 2-4 need to produce a DT and a DE who can play meaningful snaps this year.

22 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

So many teams are looking for WR this year and this is considered a better WR draft.  In 2022, there was 13 WR taken before pick 55.  There is no waiting.  They need to take one in round 1.

Did I not say that I am not against WR in round 1?

Drop rates for some top WRs in the 2024 #NFLDraft: 
• Johnny Wilson: 16.1% 
• Javon Baker: 10.6% 
• Devontez Walker: 8.5% 
• Troy Franklin: 7.3% 
• Keon Coleman: 7.2% 
• Marvin Harrison Jr: 6.9% 
• Ladd McConkey: 6.3% 
• Xavier Worthy: 5.4% MEDIAN DROP RATE
• Malik Nabers: 4.9% 
• Xavier Legette: 4.8% 
• Rome Odunze: 4.8% 
• Ja’Lynn Polk: 4.8% 
• Brian Thomas Jr: 3.8% 
• Adonai Mitchell: 1.7%

I’m going to keep saying it. A Mitchell at 28 Bills 

Edited by DJB
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Not saying I like or agree with it, but I could see bills selecting Chop Robinson de penn st.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, DJB said:

Nice, where is this from? I'd be interested to see others like Malik Washington, Roman Wilson, Jermaine Burton, Ricky Pearsall, Malachi Corley, McCaffrey, etc.

4 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Nice, where is this from? I'd be interested to see others like Malik Washington, Roman Wilson, Jermaine Burton, Ricky Pearsall, Malachi Corley, McCaffrey, etc.

A lot of the guys you listed are interesting players, but not sure they can play outside where Gabe Davis played.  

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

Not to mention Dalton Kincaid works out of the Slot. 

As I said in the Malachi Corley Steve Smith breakdown video I posted, anyone who has a high percentage slot usage and will be a Day 1 or Day 2 pick is crossed off the list for me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree. DL is definitely in play. I too want a WR that will be a future #1, but am preparing for another first round DL.

If they think to go DL, I wonder if that makes a trade down scenario more appealing for the front office. Some of these linemen seem like they could be available at the top of round 2.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, <bills4life> said:

Not saying I like or agree with it, but I could see bills selecting Chop Robinson de penn st.

If he's there and we lose Floyd and AJE I'd support this and look for a guy like Ja'Lynn Polk in Round 2.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Edge/DT round 1 and WR round 2 is fine with me. Value at WR is there in round 2. I don’t see much difference between the WRs at the end of round 1 and the WRs that will go in round 2.

I think round 1 WR depends on if they trade up or not. 

1 hour ago, DJB said:

I like Johnny Wilson’s frame but honestly if it wasn’t for Coleman that team would have struggled mightily. Wilson dropped a would be TD in every game I watched. Shouldn’t happen for a guy his size. I know the whole “body catching” thing can be overplayed but a guy with his reach should be using that wingspan to his absolute benefit. 

If these mocks are falling they way the draft does and WR is the pick it has to be Mitchell or Thomas Jr. IMO. 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I like Johnny Wilson’s frame but honestly if it wasn’t for Coleman that team would have struggled mightily. Wilson dropped a would be TD in every game I watched. Shouldn’t happen for a guy his size. I know the whole “body catching” thing can be overplayed but a guy with his reach should be using that wingspan to his absolute benefit. 

If these mocks are falling they way the draft does and WR is the pick it has to be Mitchell or Thomas Jr. IMO. 

Franklin not thicc enough for you? I'd take him over Mitchell, hands be damned. He looks like a taller DeSean Jackson to me, which would be lethal opposite Diggs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

Live just outside Pittsburgh, all my co-workers are Penn State or Pitt Panthers alumni or followers… The Penn State guys aren’t that enamored with Chop and think he’s likely  to underperform in the NFL. They believe that Isaac is the far superior player. They give credit to Chop, don’t get me wrong but I hear more about Isaac, their LBs Carter & Jacobs, and their secondary in Dixon, Reed and Hardy…

These are guys who watch and attend every game, even the Blue-White. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Live just outside Pittsburgh, all my co-workers are Penn State or Pitt Panthers alumni or followers… The Penn State guys aren’t that enamored with Chop and think he’s likely  to underperform in the NFL. They believe that Isaac is the far superior player. They give credit to Chop, don’t get me wrong but I hear more about Isaac, their LBs Carter & Jacobs, and their secondary in Dixon, Reed and Hardy…

I've got some real trauma when it comes to the idea of Drafting a DE from Penn State....

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, MiracleAtRich1393 said:

Franklin not thicc enough for you? I'd take him over Mitchell, hands be damned. He looks like a taller DeSean Jackson to me, which would be lethal opposite Diggs

Was more about the drop rate is pretty significant for a guy a lot of people are talking about. Things can change but again, for a guy his size you’d like to see him take advantage of the wingspan he has…. 

2 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I've got some real trauma when it comes to the idea of Drafting a DE from Penn State....

Yeah bro. They obviously know my allegiance and have only ever brought up Maybin once. Maybe my eyes started twitching with the glazed look over them that a Veteran displays when having flashbacks. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, &lt;bills4life&gt; said:

NFL.COM has his player comparison as Micah Parsons. 

I think they are just messing with me.   😋

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I’ve got trauma from the idea of drafting anyone on defense in Round 1

Why? We pick late 1st. There’s little difference between prospects late 1st-2nd. There’s probably less than 20 1st round grades.

Bills need DL. It’s just as important as WR. They need to take a WR in the 1st 2 rounds, but I don’t care which round. They also should double up in the middle rounds.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Aaron Maybin all over again

58 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LEBills said:

It was Daniel Jeremiah’s pick for the Bills in his mock draft yesterday

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2024-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-four-quarterbacks-selected-in-first-eight-picks

I had not seen that. This is why the draft is always so interesting to me. Some guy I’ve never heard of will get drafted by the Bills, and I’ll rush to look him up.  🤷‍♂️

But then I will have a firm opinion.  😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

Consider me Thomas then Mitchell. If they're available you grab Thomas. Let's see how the combine looks for them?  I'll go after Sweat in the 2nd.

• Agree 1