Bills Offensive Coordinator Interviews have started according to Jeremy Fowler

JoeF

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

He was fired in Carolina.

And Belichick was just fired (nicely) in Foxboro.

Maybe Brady isn't the one, but the fact he was fired at one point isn't determinative for me.  It's common in the NFL.   Coaching merry-go-round

Edited by Blackbeard
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What did that poor dog ever do to u!!! :(

Kingsbury has literally never been successful at any level. He’s horrible.

And he’s a douche bag.  If Mike McDaniel and Aaron Rodgers were to have a baby, it would be Kingsbury. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 9

52 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Cook had one great game versus a very flawed Dallas D.  You could actually argue that Cook was better with Dorsey overall.

Cook's last three games of regular season were some of the worst games of the season.

Was just gonna post on this. Its funny what becomes truths. Cook had just one 100 yard game vs DAL with Brady. He averaged 3.4, 4.4, 2.8, 3.0 and 3.5 per carry in the last 5 games. His yards per carry were consistently higher with Dorsey and he had essentially 3 100 yard games. Oh, but Brady got him involved in the passing game...he had 38 total receiving yards in the last 5 games. The further they got away from Dorsey to Brady both his rushing and receiving numbers went down. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Personally, I don't know what to think of Brady.  But I watch the year-end pressers and try to read between the lines, and I didn't hear a ringing endorsement of Brady from McDermott.  Made me think he is not a lock.  

Any hot, up and coming guy would love to have a chance to call plays for Josh.  I wonder if coordinators like working for McDermott. 

To me, that guy is Zac Robinson. Played in the league and is coming from the Rams staff. My issue is with a defensive head coach coach, the guy they hire becomes the CEO of the offense. I'd want a guy with more experience in that role and that's why I like Kingsbury or Arthur Smith even though their recent work has been less than stellar.

• Like (+1) 1

the usage of Diggs by Brady concerns me.   He was targeted wayyy too many times behind the line or a few yards past it near the sideline. That's not his strength.  

Why is it so difficult for this offense to put Diggs inside and run slants all game. He is ELITE at that.  Please utilize him there more

43 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Bill Belichick 👀

100% serious....if he isn't a HC, ask him to come here as DC / Asst HC.

If him and Sean can manage to work together, they could create an amazing defense by mixing their schemes.

+ if Sean struggles, Bill can take over 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

You keep Brady if you’re retaining McDermott and he doesn’t get hired elsewhere. 

I know he’s a hot name but Ben Johnson would be great if he’s willing to make a lateral move. Don’t see that happening however. 

The Buffalo Bills will leave no stone unturned to find the best people to coach this team, not just the OC. You forget that they have an analytics team behind this that was spawned by the great Russ Brandon. It will be a robust search, don't you worry.

(fast forward two weeks)...from the Bills twitter account:

We are proud to remove the "interim" from our new OC! He's not your average Joe!

Edited by QB Bills
  • Haha (+1) 3

My evaluation of Joe Brady..

Pros:

1. Coaching style: Brought more energy/juice to the off room- including getting Josh back into a groove and fewer turnovers

2. Playcalling: liked we had better balance and used Cook/Kincaid in more ways.  Better rhythm overall

3. Ability to improve: we've yet to see him install "his system", did a good job working within the existing system

4. Diverse scheme: we haven't seen it fully yet, but Brady has experience in effective and good schemes in the past

Cons:

1. Passing game: struggled down the stretch vs expectations

2. Retread: hasn't been successful everywhere he's been.  fired from Carolina

I think he gets the job for 3 reasons:

1. Continuity/familiarity

2. We haven't seen "his scheme" yet, and he runs an offense that McD likes

3. WR2/weapons: not blaming everything on WR2, but when you want to run a short/intermediate attack (with select downfield shots), Gabe doesn't fit at all/we didn't have many options other than rookie Kincaid

Get a legit WR in round 1 and another FA.  We need to do a better job in FA at finding a weapon to use/worth the $ (Beane has invested, albeit low $s, that add up and haven't panned out)

• Like (+1) 2

There is a lot of competition at the OC position right now. First of all, 8 teams will have new HCs and presumably new staffs. Then you add in the Bills, Steelers, Eagles, Bengals, Browns, and probably the Lions. That's 14 openings for promotion to OC. I mean, Dorsey is out there getting interviews.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And he’s a douche bag.  If Mike McDaniel and Aaron Rodgers were to have a baby, it would be Kingsbury. 

@noacls, share with the class a season, college or NFL, in which Kingsbury was successful. 

3 minutes ago, BBFL said:

You keep Brady if you’re retaining McDermott and he doesn’t get hired elsewhere. 

I know he’s a hot name but Ben Johnson would be great if he’s willing to make a lateral move. Don’t see that happening however. 

If you make him Asst HC / OC 

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I mean I will say this, I am not sure he is a good head coach, but he certainly knows the offense side of the game he took the Cardinals to the playoffs in 2021 despite Murray and Hopkins being in and out of the lineup, no weapons, no offensive line. 

And I've said, I am happy he is a douchebag. That is what this team needs. A little shot of that attitude to make things happen and get results. Not feel-good growth mindset and empathy garbage. 

And it isn't worth arguing about because it isn't going to happen. But that's what I would do if I had the choice. 

3 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

The Buffalo Bills will leave not stone unturned to find the best people to coach this team, not just the OC. You forget that they have an analytics team behind this that was spawned by the great Russ Brandon. It will be a robust search, don't you worry.

(fast forward two weeks)...from the Bills twitter account:

We are proud to remove the "interim" from our new OC! He's not your average Joe!

Hey, it's Joe Burrow who's not your average Joe:

And hey, Joe? Athens is not a small town, it's a college town. And why were you living there? Because your dad was the defensive coordinator for Ohio University. So don't give me that it was all hard work for you. You were born with the football equivalent of a silver spoon in your mouth.

If we go with Brady next year, it'll be tragic. As it likely means we waste another prime year of Josh.

If you have one of the top 3 QB's on the planet, doesn't it make sense to pair him with an above average coordinator who can best make use of the talent Josh is?

Statistically Brady is Ken Dorsey, perhaps a little less of one. And Ken Dorsey should've never been the OC either.

Lets stop fracking around & get Josh & our offense the players & coordinator it needs. Or is there something else, some other reason why we dont? Is it a matter of control & power within the coaching hierarchy? At some point you start to wonder why we don't hire a real OC

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

If you make him Asst HC / OC 

You go full HC if you’re hiring him. What the Lions did this year coupled with how many HC gigs remain make me believe he’ll be a HC and look over the lateral move. 

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

You go full HC if you’re hiring him. What the Lions did this year coupled with how many HC gigs remain make me believe he’ll be a HC and look over the lateral move. 

Ben Johnson will be announced as the new head coach in Washington the day after the Lions season ends. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me, that guy is Zac Robinson. Played in the league and is coming from the Rams staff. My issue is with a defensive head coach coach, the guy they hire becomes the CEO of the offense. I'd want a guy with more experience in that role and that's why I like Kingsbury or Arthur Smith even though their recent work has been less than stellar.

Thanks.  I don't know either one of them well at all.

I have a lot of confidence in Beane and McDermott.   I'd expect interviews to be rigorous - I'd expect McDermott to evaluate in depth the philosophy and the specifics that each of these guys would seek to implement.   The Bills have an established offensive line that plays a particular style - they aren't bulldozers, generally, but they've been effective.   They have a running back with a particular style.   And they have a unique quarterback.   I'd expect McDermott to ask for details of the offense they'd implement with those particular assets, and I'd expect McDermott to be listening with his DC hat on, questioning whether he thinks the offense the guy describes would give him trouble.  

I don't dislike Brady, but I'm hoping it's someone else, because that would mean McDermott found someone he really likes. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  I don't know either one of them well at all.

I have a lot of confidence in Beane and McDermott.   I'd expect interviews to be rigorous - I'd expect McDermott to evaluate in depth the philosophy and the specifics that each of these guys would seek to implement.   The Bills have an established offensive line that plays a particular style - they aren't bulldozers, generally, but they've been effective.   They have a running back with a particular style.   And they have a unique quarterback.   I'd expect McDermott to ask for details of the offense they'd implement with those particular assets, and I'd expect McDermott to be listening with his DC hat on, questioning whether he thinks the offense the guy describes would give him trouble.  

I don't dislike Brady, but I'm hoping it's someone else, because that would mean McDermott found someone he really likes. 

The only guy I have confidence in is Josh. Need someone who’s able to help him by scheming wide open throws. That comes in part with talent at the receiving end but rarely do we see a guy wide open for the YAC… Something everyone was clamoring for last off season. It didn’t change. 

Shanny, McDaniels, Reid and Johnson all produced offenses high in that category with questionable talent outside their #1 targets…

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Am I the only one that doesn't want Brady?  I was fine with giving him an opportunity, but the passing game was really bad under him.  Like it takes a special coordinator to see that big of a drop off in Diggs.  Brady's only solution to Diggs was screen passes.  Is that the coordinator you want?

He was fired in Carolina.

He gets way too much credit for that LSU offense.  He wasn't even the sole OC.   He was so new in the position, my guess he was more of a coffee runner at LSU.

While it is true he wasn't the sole OC, a point which I've made myself in the past as Steve Ensminger was the run game coordinator, he was the passing game coordinator of an offense that broke college football records during LSU's National Championship season and was previously on Sean Payton's Saints staff when Brees was still in his prime. Your characterization of his time at LSU is kinda idiotic.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GustheDog33 said:

I think it is important to get out of the Daboll/Dorsey/Brady tree.  A new vantage point with a 1st rd WR would be nice.

Don't stop there.  Round 1, 2 & 3 baby!!! WR's!!!! 

If at least 2 of them hit, this offense becomes terrifying 

Diggs

Round 1 - Dynamic Speed Explosive plays 
Shakir

Round 2 - Contested Catch / Route Runner 
Round 3 - Reliable Hands with Speed 

Veteran UFA
Shorter

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I hope they interview: 

Joe Brady

Kliff Kingsbury

Kellen Moore

Arthur Smith

Zac Robinson

Brian Johnson

Mike LaFluer

Kingsbury would be my top choice. If you want change, you take a demanding prick and put him in the building. He is not a yes man. 

I like this list, I think I'd go with Kellen Moore though if we don't keep Brady.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, transient said:

While it is true he wasn't the sole OC, a point which I've made myself in the past as Steve Ensminger was the run game coordinator, he was the passing game coordinator of an offense that broke college football records during LSU's National Championship season and was previously on Sean Payton's Saints staff when Brees was still in his prime. Your characterization of his time at LSU is kinda idiotic.

Ensminger was way more than the run game coordinator, he was the OC before Brady got there.  He was the one doing all the play calling for LSU.

He commanded the explosive offensive attack in 2019 that resulted in several school records and a national championship.

From a coaching standpoint, he’s the best. From game-planning to play-calling, Steve was outstanding. He developed our players on the field and he helped mold them into young men off the field. I can’t thank Steve enough for his loyalty and his willingness to do whatever was asked of him.”

https://www.wafb.com/2020/12/22/lsu-offensive-coordinator-steve-ensminger-retires-field-coaching-transitions-into-analyst-role/

5 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Don't stop there.  Round 1, 2 & 3 baby!!! WR's!!!! 

If at least 2 of them hit, this offense becomes terrifying 

Diggs

Round 1 - Dynamic Speed Explosive plays 
Shakir

Round 2 - Contested Catch / Route Runner 
Round 3 - Reliable Hands with Speed 

Veteran UFA
Shorter

Great idea! Who needs a DE, DT, or S. Defense should really be able to give up leads then. 

before reading this thread i was good w keeping brady, but the point is a strong one -- this is the best place for any oc on earth to land right now.  i've got to think we should reach out and get whoever is the best guy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

i cant believe there are fans that actually want to stick with joe brady. STOP RUNNING THE SAME PLAYBOOK. GET JOSH OUT OF HIS COMFORT ZONE. I am so sick of seeing the daboll/dorsey playbook and philosophy live on be because “josh wants to keep the consistency”. ITS NOT WORKING PEOPLE. 

Edited by bubba2018
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bubba2018 said:

i cant believe there are fans that actually want to stick with joe brady. STOP RUNNING THE SAME PLAYBOOK. GET JOSH OUT OF HIS COMFORT ZONE.

Joe Brady would be a different playbook. He ran the offense that Ken Dorsey installed last summer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Joe Brady would be a different playbook. He ran the offense that Ken Dorsey installed last summer. 

Yes this is true ….  

But I wonder if Josh is in a comfort zone still… that could be challenged by a more veteran coach?

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, BBFL said:

That comes in part with talent at the receiving end but rarely do we see a guy wide open for the YAC… Something everyone was clamoring for last off season. It didn’t change. 

You making this stuff up?  Josh had his best season ever for yards after catch - just under 200 yards.  He was 6th in the league.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, bubba2018 said:

GET JOSH OUT OF HIS COMFORT ZONE. 

Umm, isn't Josh like the best quarterback in the league?    Doesn't he look super-human when he's in his comfort zone?

Why would your want to make him uncomfortable?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Yes this is true ….  

But I wonder if Josh is in a comfort zone still… that could be challenged by a more veteran coach?

I don’t think Josh threw 18 picks because he was in his comfort zone, I think the opposite is true.

My biggest concerns with Brady are the lack of production from everyone but Shakir and Kincaid, and the steep decline in playaction, which unlocks a whole level of elite Josh Allen play. 

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

@noacls, share with the class a season, college or NFL, in which Kingsbury was successful. 

I know this isn’t directed to me, and again I am not trying to argumentative, just kind of presenting my thought process on this, knowing full well it isn’t going to happen. 

So are you talking win/loss record here? If so you are 100% correct, he has a losing record as HC in both the pros and college. 

But he’d be coming as an OC, so to me his overall record isn’t significant in this case. I look at it has he coached guys like Case Keenum, Johnny Football, obviously Mahomes, Davis Webb, Baker Mayfield and they all put up some ridiculous numbers in his system. The guy can coach offense and that is what I would want him to do here. Let McDermott coach the defense. Based on what I just watched, I think it’s clear you have to try to outscore KC, and if that’s the goal, Kliff is the guy imo. 

Our Jedi knight QB could use a little slice of the dark side of the force. Forget about complimentary football, let’s beat everyone by 70 with our unicorn. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.