Stefon Diggs Trade Proposal (Hypothetical)

SCBills

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

This is why I’m not morbid about the loss yesterday.  It hurts, and it’s one less year to win the Super Bowl.  But from where we were at 6-6 to the long-term outlook, I feel great.  I really do.  We gotta re-load on D.  But this year we discovered the second generation, if you will, to work with Allen in Kincaid, Shakir, and Cook.  Look at the Ravens and Lamar Jackson.  They may well win the whole thing this year.  Sometimes it takes awhile.  And it has for us.  But we are gonna have a look at this for a long time coming, and those changes will only improve once we shed the Miller and Diggs contracts. 

I hope that the Ravens do win, because it will break that stupid 5-year rule that everyone likes to cite.

I think that if we can sign or draft the right guy to be our #1 Diggs might actually see a resurgence in his play. Given the CAP situation others have pointed out it doesn't matter if we would be overpaying Diggs as a solid #2.  That ship has sailed and we'll be paying Diggs regardless.  But I do see a scenario where Diggs still has a positive impact on the WR room.

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Fvck no. What the hell is a 2nd round pick going to do for us? Take on 31 million in dead cap for a 2nd? You must have lost your mind.

Well Diggs himself was a 5th rounder, Millano was a 5th rounder, Puka Nacua was a 5th rounder, TO was a 3rd round pick, need any more ???

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't think his cap hit is prohibitive in a trade. In that scenario Diggs $18M-ish next year puts him at 15th overall between Ceedee Lamb and Justin Jefferson with the freedom to walk away. I think that would be good value for a team with a young QB and a lot of cap space. 

If this team wants to move on from Diggs I think they can and even get 'some' return on it if they want. 

I think it’s about what Josh wants at this point.  If Josh wants him back, they’ll figure it out.  And if Josh wants to start fresh without what seems to be the headache, then they’ll find a way to replace him with a younger, cheaper player. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

The "this close" hand gesture to Allen on that bomb was such a clown move.

That's a "pat your chest , my bad" gesture.  

Yep.  Josh is a bigger man than me.  He should’ve showed Diggs up like Diggs did to Josh in Cincy game.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

If the Bills move on from Diggs they can realistically sign a top WR in the offseason and back load the contract to have small cap hits early.

Tee Higgins anyone?

🤔

These “Trade our best players” threads are ridiculous. 

Nail an offense minded draft, pick up some guys for the secondary in FA; CJGJ, Jordan Whitehead, Kenny Moore, Kendall Fuller?

Trade for Budda Baker?

Theres a lot of options in the secondary which is where we hurt. Having Milano and Bernard out is a killer. 

Evaluate the safety position.  Decide if you’re keeping White. If not, sign a corner who you believe can hold his own in man and zone. 

Go after Wagner again. I think he retires, if not he’ll be willing to play elsewhere with Pete out as HC. 

Have a trio of Milano, Bernard, Wagner. Be able to flex in and out of nickel more effectively… Not that we do anyway. 

Benford, Elam and Douglas are the only CBs here who’ve seen starting time. Safety? That’s tough. 

Either way we need to go all in at one side of the ball for each acquisition pool… I say go for offense as much as possible in the draft. Use FA for the defensive side as the quality of talent available is better for that side of the ball…

Team could be extremely different next year. 

Edited by BBFL

35 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Fvck no. What the hell is a 2nd round pick going to do for us? Take on 31 million in dead cap for a 2nd? You must have lost your mind.

Forget the dead cap. It’s pointless. Diggs is 31. We can replace Diggs with a much younger WR and backload the contract. You can realistically release Diggs and sign Tee Higgins and have it cost the same as keeping Diggs.

The problem is Diggs age. If he were 27 we could just extend him or restructure.  They could push this off a year and keep Diggs but it really depends on Diggs attitude this offseason.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

47 minutes ago, SCBills said:

There's a chance. 

I didn't believe it would be on the table prior to this post-season, but I think this off-season might shock some people.  

The Bills can clear cap, and maybe it's not to re-sign guys.. maybe it's to reload through the draft and get younger. 

There’s no chance. What team is going to trade for a WR on the wrong side of 30 who looked like he was a shell of his former self? Not to mention his contract and the fact that it’s going to be a loaded WR draft class. It just doesn’t make any logical sense.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, SCBills said:

IF the Bills are able to maneuver around his cap hit and someone offers a Second Round Pick.  Do you take it?

Where there's a will, there's a way and I think it's a no-brainer to trade him at this point if not for the dead cap.  I was on his side over the summer, but he's just negative energy at this point.  Weird vibes and doesn't back it up on the field.  Gets shut down, again, by Kansas City.  Fumbles on the first play.  Drops a 65 yard bomb in the 4th Quarter from Allen and makes a gesture intimating that it was on Allen.

I'm over it. 

I'd rather give Allen a couple Day 1/Day 2 Wide Receivers to go with Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and Cook at this point.  

The dead cap hit might make this completely impossible, but if the Bills can get creative, I think we're better off.  The relationship just seems like it's run it's course. 

His performance in these last couple of months has ruined his draft capital. No one is trading for him.

I love Diggs.  He isn't a "cancer" - that's a media creation, largely based on his time in Minny and one sideline exchange w/ Allen.

But I think of how Belichick ran his teams.  Always move on from a player before they really decline.  Maybe it's time to think about it, if we can get good compensation.

We are so thin at WR...why create one hole to try and fill it with a draft pick (honestly, when was the last time the Bills drafted an elite receiver in the 1st round?  (Watkins and Evans were meh)

Keep Diggs and find a suitable WR1/WR2 somehow.  If Diggs slides into the WR2 spot as a result, that's a good thing.

51 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How do you figure?  The cap is bs.  Saints again are 100 mill over and not only will be under, again!,  but draft amd sign a couple FA-s

The Saints are a wonderful example of my point. They’re $84 mil over the cap this year and already $40 mil over the cap for 2025. A mediocre team with a mediocre QB and little to no star players is not a franchise I wish to emulate.

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't think his cap hit is prohibitive in a trade. In that scenario Diggs $18M-ish next year puts him at 15th overall between Ceedee Lamb and Justin Jefferson with the freedom to walk away. I think that would be good value for a team with a young QB and a lot of cap space. 

If this team wants to move on from Diggs I think they can and even get 'some' return on it if they want. 

That’s certainly possible. I don’t think we get a 2 from a team like that though. But you never know. Chicago gave up the first pick of the second round for a trash WR. Maybe we get a bidding war and it happens. 

Not sure about Diggs but a cap reset of sorts is probably needed.   So if they can offload a big one I think they have to consider it.  At this point, the Knox contract is one that seems like one we can do without, I don't hate the guy or anything but the 2 TE thing never took off and that is a lot of money for a backup TE and we don't need Knox taking any of Kincaid's targets.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Not sure about Diggs but a cap reset of sorts is probably needed.   So if they can offload a big one I think they have to consider it.  At this point, the Knox contract is one that seems like one we can do without, I don't hate the guy or anything but the 2 TE thing never took off and that is a lot of money for a backup TE and we don't need Knox taking any of Kincaid's targets.

Totally agree. I would protect the 2025 cap space however possible. To me that means either keeping Diggs all year or moving on before June 1. 

We need one of not two wide receivers, a center, two safeties, and a couple of pass rushers. Clear the deck where we can, load up in the draft, and be aggressive in 2025. 

EDIT: For reference, the timing of releasing Tre, Von, and Diggs would open up $65M in space for 2025. 

Edited by Mango

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

How do you figure?  The cap is bs.  Saints again are 100 mill over and not only will be under, again!,  but draft amd sign a couple FA-s

Cap is only BS to someone comfortable with a maxed out credit card. At some point, the bill must be paid. And that bill usually comes due at the worst time….

Just now, Brian Higgins hair said:

Cap is only BS to someone comfortable with a maxed out credit card. At some point, the bill must be paid. And that bill usually comes due at the worst time….

Then we are in full rebuild.  Hyde, poyer, white and many others have to go.  Von and Diggs suck now and are wasting roster spots.  Time to take the hit and move on.

This team has shown with its current, aging and under performing,talent it can't get to or win a superbowl

I wish I could go bump the thread after his 1st year here where I said trading for him was a mistake and Justin Jefferson would have been way better and everyone jumped all over me. I don't think he is a cancer. I don't think he is done. I think either he had an injury he played through or didn't like Joe Brady or the playcalling, I'm not sure what happened but once Dorsey was gone Diggs fire seem to be gone. It's just so odd. He isn't going anywhere next year but the Bills need to draft 2 WRs in the draft. Probably on the 1st round and 2nd round. They need a #2 next year and a #1 and #3 the year after (assuming Shakir becomes the #2 after next year)

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

IF the Bills are able to maneuver around his cap hit and someone offers a Second Round Pick.  Do you take it?

Where there's a will, there's a way and I think it's a no-brainer to trade him at this point if not for the dead cap.  I was on his side over the summer, but he's just negative energy at this point.  Weird vibes and doesn't back it up on the field.  Gets shut down, again, by Kansas City.  Fumbles on the first play.  Drops a 65 yard bomb in the 4th Quarter from Allen and makes a gesture intimating that it was on Allen.

I'm over it. 

I'd rather give Allen a couple Day 1/Day 2 Wide Receivers to go with Kincaid, Knox, Shakir and Cook at this point.  

The dead cap hit might make this completely impossible, but if the Bills can get creative, I think we're better off.  The relationship just seems like it's run it's course. 

There is a no trade clause in his contract because of his restructure.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I'm over it. 

I'm SO SICK AND TIRED of the Diggs narrative!! He dropped a pass that he slightly had to wait for and it bounced off his arm after being contested. WHY ISN'T THERE MORE OF A NARRATIVE ON DAWSON KNOX!! What has he contributed to this offense in recent history?? We all know that teams focuses on ways to stop Diggs from having big games. We all know that Diggs is that guy we're looking at to keep drives alive from 3rd and 6 to beyond. WHERE IS KNOX!! He's one of the highest paid offensive players on the roster. Why hasn't he progressed to at least be a poor man's Kittle or Kelce? Our rookie TE has outperformed him, IMO. You guys are trying to get rid of a known commodity to Josh and this offense. Why not try to get rid of this albatross of a contract and Dawson Knox? 

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

I wish I could go bump the thread after his 1st year here where I said trading for him was a mistake and Justin Jefferson would have been way better and everyone jumped all over me. I don't think he is a cancer. I don't think he is done. I think either he had an injury he played through or didn't like Joe Brady or the playcalling, I'm not sure what happened but once Dorsey was gone Diggs fire seem to be gone. It's just so odd. He isn't going anywhere next year but the Bills need to draft 2 WRs in the draft. Probably on the 1st round and 2nd round. They need a #2 next year and a #1 and #3 the year after (assuming Shakir becomes the #2 after next year)

I mean its hard to argue both teams did not win that trade.  Sure if you knew what Jefferson would become its easy but that is an unknown rookie and the Bills got Allen to explode with Diggs which helped Allen's development I think.

For what it is worth.  Diggs has the most cathces in the NFL over the last 4 years and 4th in receiving touchdowns.  Both of those ahead of Jeffereson.  Jefferson has more yards.   If you want to point to a mistake it might be the last time they redid his contract with several years left.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-most-receptions-in-the-last-4-years-for-a-player

• Agree 1

We'd have to pay to get another team to take Diggs' contract that is far above his level of play. I see a hypothetical trade like:

Diggs + 2024 4th + 2025 4th for 2025 7th

Not sure if we should make that trade or just bump Diggs down the depth chart

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm over it. 

lmao

image.png

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

He will put up another 1000 yard+ season next year here. Who do you plan on replacing him with? Signing Mike Evans to a $25 million dollar a year contract?

Yeah, Diggs will probably stay a Bill next season and he’ll probably get 1000+ yards. I went over this already (not sure if it was this thread), but I will again.

A couple seasons ago Diggs was a top 4 WR. In the 2022 season he was a top 8 WR. This past season it’s more like top 16 or, more comfortably, top 24. That’s still pretty damn good. He turns 31 in November and that’s the cliff (give or take) for most WRs. I would still expect Diggs to be a top 32 WR next season and if we want to keep him for that season for $18.8M additional cash, then fine. But by 2025 it is very doubtful that his production will warrant his contract. So the question likely is only about 2024. 

Trading Diggs would mean a reboot for 2024. In that case we’d also part ways with Tre and Von, using our two 6/1 designations when we cut them. So the move to replace them would be via the draft or trade (younger WR) rather than an older vet (unless one came cheap. The contracts of Von and Diggs were written with the intent of moving on from both after 2024. They could move it up to this off-season if they felt it was better. 

4 hours ago, boyst said:

with these hypotheticals...

trade McDermott to Carolina for their 2nd this year, 1st next year.

That is an interesting thought exercise.  If the replacement is, say, Bill Belichick, … interesting thought exercise. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The one thing I will say is just 1 year ago Diggs had absolutely no problem throwing Josh under the bus. Now that the shoe is on the other foot you

don’t see Allen saying boy Steph really sucked today. 

The thing is, I don't trust Diggs to start his antics. He deleted his IG for now, but just give it a week or so before the cryptic stuff starts.

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

The "this close" hand gesture to Allen on that bomb was such a clown move.

That's a "pat your chest , my bad" gesture.  

I was going to mention that. I didn't remember seeing that in real time, but saw the picture on Twitter. Can he ever take accountability??

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.