Where does this regime go from here?

HappyDays

10 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

this team was ready.  two biggest plays were another drop by cook that should've been a TD (again) and missed FG.  can't coach those.  both players should be traded/released.  also Sherfield's drop and Diggs not showing up.  We need a #1 WR, a new kicker, punter and LB depth.  Not a new coach.

We scored 2 plays after the Cook drop. It had no impact on the outcome. Was a bad drop and those concentration drops in the redzone by him are concerning but it made no impact on the outcome of the game. 

But the receiver drops did matter. Because we struggled to get the ball deep all night. Got no separation vertically even on play action and the three times Josh put a ball where it needed to be deep Sherfield (twice) and Diggs (once) couldn't come up with it. 

I think you are right on kicker and punter though. At linebacker we just need our guys back healthy.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This was the weakest version of the Chiefs that we will probably ever see under Mahomes.

We got them in our stadium.

We had an all-world Josh Allen performance. Mahomes missed 2 TD passes.

We got lucky with a fumble through the end zone saving the game for us.

And it still wasn't enough to get it done.

I felt all along like it had to be this year that we beat the Chiefs to give fans some kind of confidence that this regime could get over that hump. After today, can we honestly be confident that this regime will ever take us to the promised land?

That means McDermott AND Beane by the way. Defensive coaching in this game was awful. And ultimately poor WR play was once again our biggest issue on offense, after years of under investing in the position.

I don't know man. I can't even find it in me to feel hopeful about next year with the same guys in charge.

It's a good question because with Josh Allen at QB, high seed and divisional round games should be the floor and it looks like the ceiling.

We can microanalyze some of Josh's decision making at the end there but Bass has to be cut for not making that kick and McDermott has to be fired for his defense once again not even showing up. Buffalo dominated TOP because the Chiefs averaged 8 yards a play.

These are the only games where the team is judged, the goal is to win super bowls, and this season is a colossal failure for the third time in a row.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

this team was ready.  two biggest plays were another drop by cook that should've been a TD (again) and missed FG.  can't coach those.  both players should be traded/released.  also Sherfield's drop and Diggs not showing up.  We need a #1 WR, a new kicker, punter and LB depth.  Not a new coach.

The biggest play was a gift by the football gods when KC fumbled the ball out of the end zone. 

Funny how Bills fans point to the woulda shoulda but not that above mentioned play. The Chiefs should have scored a TD and sealed the win early. 

Let's paint a full picture. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Special K said:

The 13 seconds season was the best chance to win the Super Bowl.....

Josh tried to play hero ball on his last two throws instead of taking the short stuff....a TD was needed on that drive to win the game. Even if the FG was good, how confident would you have been that the Chiefs would not have scored in the last minute forty five seconds.

This is correct. We need a QB that doesn't mentally collapse in big situations 

6 hours ago, Governor said:

Now is the time to tear it down. Get some fresh offensive minds in here and start dumping players on this awful defense. 

I would even say that trading Josh isn’t entirely off the table. He will want out after next season so we might as well get a record haul for him. But we can’t do any of this with McD in the building.

I’m in this boat. it’s probably time for a complete rebuild or something like it. pretty much any team with josh at qb can win 9-11 games a year and lose in the playoffs. That is what we’re going to be for at least the next two seasons. 

I don’t have specific answers but I know we are in a forever pretty good cycle that isn’t going to result in a superbowl win. Love josh, think he’s a rare talent BUT might not be the long term solution at this point (for financial reasons, and he’s probably past due on missing serious time with injury) 

I was done with McDermott after the Miami playoff game last year. His philosophy and style of football are not my favorite to watch. We have a team full of nice guy goofballs. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

We scored 2 plays after the Cook drop. It had no impact on the outcome. Was a bad drop and those concentration drops in the redzone by him are concerning but it made no impact on the outcome of the game. 

But the receiver drops did matter. Because we struggled to get the ball deep all night. Got no separation vertically even on play action and the three times Josh put a ball where it needed to be deep Sherfield (twice) and Diggs (once) couldn't come up with it. 

I think you are right on kicker and punter though. At linebacker we just need our guys back healthy.

It was clear from the get go this game was going to be very close. The Bills punishing running was fantastic and effective yet concerning because it was clear explosive plays were unlikely. That meant the Bills would have longer drives, have to really execute, limit mistakes, and have little room for error. Much harder to build bigger leads this way. It was almost like watching a slow locomotive lumbering along.

Nevertheless, it was the correct game plan. The Bills had to take advantage of Allen's legs and the weaker Chiefs run D. Keep the ball away from Mahomes. Plus, the Chiefs secondary was just too good for the weaker Bills WR core. 

The Chiefs offense had the answers all day and night. It was clear the Bills depleted D had little answers to stop a less than lethal KC O. Mahomes looked the part, Kelce was a problem just like many anticipated, and Pacheco ran hard. It was almost like watching a runaway train. 

Both teams traded punches going back and forth. Minute to minute play by play it was intense. It was fun. Just as you thought one team had the advantage the other team struck back. Going into halftime up four felt pretty good but never safe.

The Chiefs came out of the gate swinging after halftime. Great adjustments and scored a TD with ease. Not even sure they broke a sweat. It was a statement drive in my eyes. It was a game changer. It was at this point, I thought KC would have a fantastic chance to win. That TD was more than 6 points. 

To the Bills credit they battled back. Allen made play after play. KC made adjustments to stop the run and the Bills tried to counter with throws deeper down the field. It was a cat and mouse game. At this point, I thought the Chiefs have the advantage here. Brady vs Spags and McD vs Reid. That's a pretty easy math equation to solve. You know the answer. Let's just say my confidence wasn't high.

Yet, I didn't give up hope. Telling myself please Allen keep that cape on. Shakir, Diggs, Cook, Kincaid, etc be hero. 

Then the unthinkable happened. Just when it looked over the Bills got the biggest break any fan could imagine. For once, the football gods answered our prayers. A Chiefs football out of the end zone. Negating a sure Chief TD and all but closing the door on the Bills chances. I couldn't believe it! I couldn't believe it was overturned. I thought this was fate. It was meant to be. The football gods are with Buffalo and Allen and company would not be denied.

Excited as ever yet nervous beyond belief the Bills slowly matched down the field down a measly FG. Then I thought oh no Bass is our kicker. I know we are on the same page here. Perhaps the first time this season. I thought the Bills have to score a TD and hold on for dear life. They have to play like they are in 4 down territory. little by little they inched close. Damn the two minute warning. Josh you can do this! We are at home! Feed your fans the sweet taste of victory. We are starving...Second and 8. Dang Third and 8 shi!, 4th and 8. Several blown opportunities that just can't happen. Championship teams just can't do that. As tough and gritty and resilient of a team you couldn't help but reflect back to all the McD choke jobs. 13 seconds was a PTSD flashback. It could all be close to vanishing with one big play. 

Out trots Bass once know and beloved as Bassomatic. That version was long gone and Bills fans likely dreaded a moment like this. Either scenario wasn't optimal. A makes was obviously vital but a future D stop was ever so unlikely as the Chiefs only needed a FG with the best kicker on the planet. Add injury to insult and we know opposing FG Ks have a 100% make rate vs Buffalo. 

I digress, before the kick I got a sinking feeling in my stomach. I'm sure I wasn't the only one. It was at that moment I knew make or not the Bills were about to lose once again to the Chiefs. In a moment I was stunned and in somewhat of a denial stage. How could this happen? Why did it happen? What the F just happened? 

In the end, it's another significant playoff loss. Another wasted opportunity. Another year of dashed hopes and unfulfilled dreams. Yes it's only football. Yes the game was entertaining and fun. That's the great part of football. However, it's another painful loss and unfulfilled goal by a long ways. 

The Bills organization has not been able to advance past a division round playoff game. It's uder performing by a huge margin with Allen at QB. Move after move has proven unsuccessful. There's always hope but it shouldn't be blind hope. 

Changes need to be made. Not small tweaks either. This team will look different next year. Not necessarily a bad thing. The coaching staff won't look vastly different. That is a bad thing...

We need to get younger and cheaper, need most of the draft picks to make the team.   Please Beane no trades up.  Develop talent you draft.    Defense needs to get more physical.

Edited by billsfan714

2 minutes ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Yeh....I am guessing most of the fan base does not share this sentiment.

no joke.

the only reason i am not completely enraged is bcause this is 7 years into the McChump story and the same ***** happened.

We didn't change our gameplan to adapt on defense until it was too late. not until the 4th quarter when we took Klein off did we start to succeed. The 4th ***** quarter.

we didn't do anything on offense to put the ball in our best players hand - we kept running it.

we knew a kicker was struggling but expected him to tie the game.

this was after we let our qb make boneheaded passes and he wasn't in rhythm or getting the short passes

we had nothing for depth at wr and kept passing to ty johnson, murray, and kincaid at the LOS. wtf is that?

mcchump's stupid ***** strikes again.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Terry Pegula is not firing Sean McDermott.  There is just zero chance of it happening this offseason so there is almost zero utility of debating whether it should or shouldn’t happen.  It won’t happen.  

agreed. and this is why i'm not upset. at work everyone is surprised i'm fully in stride

the team chose to keep McChump. Sean McFontes. The never bust the hump and play to lose loser.

I chose to continue to believe in a guy who is a loser that coaches a team far beyond his limited talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

no joke.

the only reason i am not completely enraged is bcause this is 7 years into the McChump story and the same ***** happened.

We didn't change our gameplan to adapt on defense until it was too late. not until the 4th quarter when we took Klein off did we start to succeed. The 4th ***** quarter.

we didn't do anything on offense to put the ball in our best players hand - we kept running it.

we knew a kicker was struggling but expected him to tie the game.

this was after we let our qb make boneheaded passes and he wasn't in rhythm or getting the short passes

we had nothing for depth at wr and kept passing to ty johnson, murray, and kincaid at the LOS. wtf is that?

mcchump's stupid ***** strikes again.

And Pegula won't do a darn thing. 

Which infuriates me. 

I think it's time more heat is on Beane too. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Billsfanatic8989 said:

And Pegula won't do a darn thing. 

Which infuriates me. 

I think it's time more heat is on Beane too. 

by the time it is up to do something with McChump we will be forced to do something to Beane.

McChump will pull him down.

We all know they are going to run it back and try to sell the idea that guys will be back from injury and the young guys are getting better.

Next year around this time, we’ll all be here for the same discussion and it’ll be the same plan and then finally in 2027, the plan will change because there is no other choice but a cap re-set year and the team will lose 8 games because Allen will still carry them beyond where they deserve to be.  In the end, Allen will go down as Dan Marino’s successor as the guy that had to do it all for a team that could never hold up their end of the bargain and retire without a title, but tons of records.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

We all know they are going to run it back and try to sell the idea that guys will be back from injury and the young guys are getting better.

Next year around this time, we’ll all be here for the same discussion and it’ll be the same plan and then finally in 2027, the plan will change because there is no other choice but a cap re-set year and the team will lose 8 games because Allen will still carry them beyond where they deserve to be.  In the end, Allen will go down as Dan Marino’s successor as the guy that had to do it all for a team that could never hold up their end of the bargain and retire without a title, but tons of records.

Ok.  

Fire Sean McSmallTimeinBigGames and let's get Vrabel.  At least our defense should get back into shape. My daughter lolled at the end of the game with someone saying the Bills are the Sixers of the NFL...yep, we've gone as far as we can go with this staff...

• Agree 1

I really don't have the words this morning.  It's heart breakin because this version of the buffalo bills from 2018 to today just wasn't good enough.  They are good and at times really good.  Just not good enough when it counts.  Is it enough to move on from McDermott?  I don't know but I do know.Allen deserves better than what the bills are giving him.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

agreed but I think we can get or develop a back who doesn't regularly drop passes at inopportune (clutch) times.  Cook ain't it imo.  We can do much better.  And I think we can do better at linebacker.  No where near the best group in the league.  And that should be the  goal for every unit if we are going to win a SB.  

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

agreed but I think we can get or develop a back who doesn't regularly drop passes at inopportune (clutch) times.  Cook ain't it imo.  We can do much better.  And I think we can do better at linebacker.  No where near the best group in the league.  And that should be the  goal for every unit if we are going to win a SB.  

I think Cook is fine. His hands are good everywhere else. So I think the redzone drops are him taking his eye off the catch because he is already looking for the line. I think that is concentration and correctable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I think Cook is fine. His hands are good everywhere else. So I think the redzone drops are him taking his eye off the catch because he is already looking for the line. I think that is concentration and correctable. 

maybe....runnoing backs are a dime a dozen in the draft.   remember his attitude in his first year?:  Arrogant and seemingly lazy.  It's difficult to change those personality traits.  He has talent but lacks luster. plus, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.  We can do better.  out of curiosity, do u see him as a top 5 back?  top 10?

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

maybe....runnoing backs are a dime a dozen in the draft.   remember his attitude in his first year?:  Arrogant and seemingly lazy.  It's difficult to change those personality traits.  He has talent but lacks luster. plus, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.  We can do better.  out of curiosity, do u see him as a top 5 back?  top 10?

Comfortably top 10.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

so good enough to be on a playoff team but not the feature back on a SB winner.

When was the last Superbowl winner with a top 5 back? It certainly hasn't been a common feature the last 15 years. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

When was the last Superbowl winner with a top 5 back? It certainly hasn't been a common feature the last 15 years. 

some of these were pretty great in their time.  I would argue that they were more valuable to their respective teams in the playoffs than Cook

https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/past-super-bowl-winners-prove-running-back-position-is-dead

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

some of these were pretty great in their time.  I would argue that they were more valuable to their respective teams in the playoffs than Cook

https://fansided.com/betsided/posts/past-super-bowl-winners-prove-running-back-position-is-dead

The only one on that list who was ever a top 5 back was Ray Rice.

Cook is better than most of that list.

15 hours ago, Special K said:

The 13 seconds season was the best chance to win the Super Bowl.....

Josh tried to play hero ball on his last two throws instead of taking the short stuff....a TD was needed on that drive to win the game. Even if the FG was good, how confident would you have been that the Chiefs would not have scored in the last minute forty five seconds.

Hard to disagree with that. Bass missing the FG wasn't even a blip on the radar. Bass having the yips is a problem, but it likely had no effect on the end of this game. There was close to 0 chance the defense was keeping the Chiefs out of FG range with the amount of time left. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Billsfanatic8989 said:

Yeh....I am guessing most of the fan base does not share this sentiment.

I do. Expecting a Super Bowl after the way we played this year was lunacy. We struggled against everyone after October and very few players stood out as having a great year.

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Great and 💯 truth DC.  Ever notice Josh plays thru his injuries yet the rest of these guys drop like flies every week.  I'm so sick and tired of watching Josh leave his soul on the field while his coaches and team mates flail around.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

umm, you know Von has a massive dead cap hit right? We can't get rid of him until after next year.

if the nfl is fair he will 100% be punished by the league letting us drop him without a hit.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Pretty sure the Pats were on the hook for Aaron Hernandez's cap. Don't see it happening.

they were able to recover some of the hit. and that was before a lot of the more recent events. i think there have been a few similar instances but forget the specifics - a few players suspended without being charged. zeke, maybe.

either way, the suspension voids some of the contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.