Referees (officials): NFL 2023 divisionals: KC-BUF: Shawn Hochuli (UPDATE: full crews announced)

chongli

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Not sure I'm really worried. Supposed to be bitter cold at kickoff. Flags tend to stay in hand a bit more when the temp is low. Refs don't get heated benches and blowers on em. They want a quick game.

Weather report says 20 degrees ATM. 

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

The drama of it all, reading all this I feel like im in HS.

Refs will be fine, the leagues not rigged, lmao.

I am starting to feel like some others have already felt about the league unfortunately.  You can't convince me the league is not pushing for a Tay Tay, Mahomes, Kelce SB championship, again.  I expect the flags to fly against Buffalo.  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I am starting to feel like some others have already felt about the league unfortunately.  You can't convince me the league is not pushing for a Tay Tay, Mahomes, Kelce SB championship, again.  I expect the flags to fly against Buffalo.  

I am pretty sure the NFL would love to have the Taylor Swift boost extend right into the Super Bowl.  Why wouldn’t they?  I am even more sure there is no deep seated conspiracy at the league office and with the officials to throw the game to KC.  Absolutely insane.  

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

The Super Bowl is the most watched event in America. I’m sure the league would LOVE to cut to shots of Swift throughout that game. She’s already responsible for lots of people (mostly girls) watching football who otherwise had no interest. We have to control what we can control. Outclass the Chiefs thoroughly and leave no doubt. Can’t put it in Hochuli’s hands to decide the game.

30 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

11-3 all time.   8-2 since Mahomes took over.  4-1 on the road.

Well, they're 75-24 in the regular season in the Mahomes era, so the 8-2 mark matches pretty closely with the broader ratio: 7.5-2.4, which rounded is 8-2.

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, they're 75-24 in the regular season in the Mahomes era, so the 8-2 mark matches pretty closely with the broader ratio: 7.5-2.4, which rounded is 8-2.

Yeah I’d say it’s less about their record with Hochuli and more about the Bills struggles with his crew. They average 10 penalties for almost 100 yards and have a losing record under him, despite winning the 2nd most games over the last few years.

For those interested in Hochuli stats for the respective teams, but QB starts and since Reid and McDermott took over the teams.  Quick and dirty here, stats are rounded up.  For anyone wanting to look further into this here is his stat page Houchli Stats

The thing that stood out for me was the Bills record and differential in Bills win loss record and penalties called against the Bills vs opponents when Hochuli is the lead ref.    Very curious to see how this one turns out.  Chiefs are a very good team with or without the percieved help. 

Allen

W-L 1-3

Win Percentage with Hochuli 25%

Overall Win Percentage Including Playoffs 67%

Differential -42%

Penalties Against Bills- 40 for 347 (10 for 89 Per Game)

Penalties Against Opponent- 27 for 259 (7 for 65)

Differential - +3/+24

Mahomes

W-L 8-2

Win Percentage with Hochuli 80%

Overall Win Percentage Including Playoffs 77%

Differential +3%

Penalties Against Bills- 63 for 559 (6 for 56 Per Game)

Penalties Against Opponent- 59 for 513 (6 for 51)

Differential - Even/+5

Reid

W-L 11-3

Win Percentage with Hochuli 79%

Overall Win Percentage Including Playoffs 64%

Differential - +15%

Penalties Against Bills- 92 for 758 (7 for 54 Per Game)

Penalties Against Opponent- 82 for 672 (6 for 48)

Differential - +1/+6

McDermott

W-L 2-3

Win Percentage with Hochuli 40%

Overall Win Percentage Including Playoffs 63%

Differential -  -23%

Penalties Against Bills- 42 for 367 (8 for 73 Per Game)

Penalties Against Opponent- 29 for 269 (6 for 54)

Differential - +2/+19

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

For those interested in Hochuli since both Mahomes and Allen took over as starting QBs for their respective teams.  Quick and dirty here, stats are rounded up.  For anyone wanting to look further into this here is his stat page Houchli Stats

The thing that stood out for me was the Bills record and differential in Bills win loss record and penalties called against the Bills vs opponents when Hochuli is the lead ref.  Should be noted he hasn't done a Bills home game since Josh took over as QB.    May take this a step further and see what the stats are for Reid and McDermott.   

Allen

W-L 1-3

Differential -42%

Differential - +3/+24

Mahomes

W-L 8-2

Differential +3%

Differential - Even/+5

Keep in mind that playoff ref crews are not the same as the regular season.

Hochuli doesn’t have his same crew as he did during the Philly flag massacre.

He has a mixed crew of men and women who were assigned this game based on how well did they did in the regular season.

In theory, these are the best of the best refs, as all refs in the divisional round are eligible for the Super Bowl assignment.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

He has a mixed crew of men and women who were assigned this game based on how well did they did in the regular season.

In theory, these are the best of the best refs, as all refs in the divisional round are eligible for the Super Bowl assignment.

That and the fact the game is at home should be the saving grace. No way can one individual derail a game on a national stage.
*knocks on wood*

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Einstein said:

My hope win or lose, is the refs dont play a part in the game.  From what I've seen they've let the teams play football.   Chiefs are a difficult enough opponent already. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

For those interested in Hochuli stats for the respective teams, but QB starts and since Reid and McDermott took over the teams.  Quick and dirty here, stats are rounded up.  For anyone wanting to look further into this here is his stat page Houchli Stats

The thing that stood out for me was the Bills record and differential in Bills win loss record and penalties called against the Bills vs opponents when Hochuli is the lead ref.    Very curious to see how this one turns out.  Chiefs are a very good team with or without the percieved help. 

Allen

W-L 1-3

Differential -42%

Differential - +3/+24

Mahomes

W-L 8-2

Differential +3%

Differential - Even/+5

Reid

W-L 11-3

Win Percentage with Hochuli 79%

Overall Win Percentage Including Playoffs 64%

Differential - +15%

Penalties Against Bills- 92 for 758 (7 for 54 Per Game)

Penalties Against Opponent- 82 for 672 (6 for 48)

Differential - +1/+6

McDermott

W-L 2-3

Win Percentage with Hochuli 40%

Overall Win Percentage Including Playoffs 63%

Differential -  -23%

Penalties Against Bills- 42 for 367 (8 for 73 Per Game)

Penalties Against Opponent- 29 for 269 (6 for 54)

Differential - +2/+19

The numbers don't lie and still think this was the worst possible draw for a referee crew in a game of this magnitude.

And you just know that in addition to all the blatant holding the Chiefs oline does, Mahomes is going to chuck up some wild passes down field and the bills will get flagged for PI for any ticky tack type of contact, and on the opposite end guys like Sneed will rape a WR and never get called.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Brand J said:

That and the fact the game is at home should be the saving grace. No way can one individual derail a game on a national stage.
*knocks on wood*

Last week  Cheffers had his entire crew intact for the Bills game. I looked it up because I also thought the crews were mixed.

3 hours ago, Brand J said:

The Super Bowl is the most watched event in America. I’m sure the league would LOVE to cut to shots of Swift throughout that game. She’s already responsible for lots of people (mostly girls) watching football who otherwise had no interest. We have to control what we can control. Outclass the Chiefs thoroughly and leave no doubt. Can’t put it in Hochuli’s hands to decide the game.

Time for Kelce to retire after loss and be able to join broadcast team before game and sit in stadium box with Swift.

3 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

You dudes need to put away your tin foil hats.  The league isn’t scripting outcomes (this isn’t the WWF) & isn’t instructing refs to impact the outcome of a playoff game so 1 favorite son can move on.  SMH!

Now if you want to argue incompetence exists & is more prevalent than need be, I’m all ears but otherwise you guys are embarrassing yourselves.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, PayDaBill$ said:

You dudes need to put away your tin foil hats.  The league isn’t scripting outcomes (this isn’t the WWF) & isn’t instructing refs to impact the outcome of a playoff game so 1 favorite son can move on.  SMH!

Now if you want to argue incompetence exists & is more prevalent than need be, I’m all ears but otherwise you guys are embarrassing yourselves.

There's more than enough anecdotal evidence out there that specific teams have received favorable calls through the years, not just the NFL but all pro sports.

Whether it was the Brady/Patriots teams the greater part of 2 decades, or now the current Chiefs ones....the NFL has always wanted a 'villain' role, if anything for ratings because they know so many people will always watch and root against them in hopes they lose.

But as others including myself have mentioned, who would the NFL rather see next week against the Ravens or Texans? It's an easy answer when looking at the Chiefs and Mahomes (and of course the Kelce/Taylor Swift crap) as the defending world champs on the brink of a dynasty.

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

There's more than enough anecdotal evidence out there that specific teams have received favorable calls through the years, not just the NFL but all pro sports.

Whether it was the Brady/Patriots teams the greater part of 2 decades, or now the current Chiefs ones....the NFL has always wanted a 'villain' role, if anything for ratings because they know so many people will always watch and root against them in hopes they lose.

But as others including myself have mentioned, who would the NFL rather see next week against the Ravens or Texans? It's an easy answer when looking at the Chiefs and Mahomes (and of course the Kelce/Taylor Swift crap) as the defending world champs on the brink of a dynasty.

By all means feel free to bet the  house if you’re that sure. 😉

Sounds like alot of whining in advance to me. 

I think the Lions Bills would be highly viewed.

Edited by PayDaBill$

9 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

He allowed us a W once??

A 2022 24-10 win against the Patriots. He couldn’t get in the way of that one. 

EDIT: There’s now a Yahoo article about Hochuli, the Bills, and the angst that the fans feel. More of a spotlight that gets shown on him, the better in my opinion. 

Edited by Brand J
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• chongli changed the title to Referees (officials): NFL 2023 divisionals: KC-BUF: Shawn Hochuli (UPDATE: full crews announced)
5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Hoch’s dad was born in Milwaukee. Likely a Packers fan. Son very likely a packers fan too. 

Who would a Packers fan hate most? Bills or Chiefs? 

This actually gave me a thought? Does the NFL ask Refs who their favorite teams are upon hire? I mean if you’re a hardcore Bills fan growing up I can’t imagine getting assigned to call an important Bills game as kosher. Furthermore, this information should

Be disclosed publicly. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

I do appreciate the ray of hope this provides that what should be a great game won't devolve into a flag-fest of epic proportions where we are forced to endure the long delays where his crew huddles together to somehow produce baffling conclusions.

His response to criticism regarding his crew's performance during the Eagles game just solidifies my opinion that he is an unapologetic and deeply flawed turd that I was hoping we could flush for the remainder of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.