2021 Playoff Josh is BACK!

Buffalo Boy

Great Josh was back yesterday.

Completion percentage in the 70s, interception rate in the zeros (😜). Eye test tells us he was decisive and pulled the trigger quicker. 

And, Dime DROPPING!!!! He threw 4 

beautiful long balls. Two ended up as touchdown. One to Diggs was broken up by a perfectly timed high point tip by the DB. The other to Kincaid (?) in the front corner of the end zone was thrown from the other side of the field, under pressure, and was also broken up by a great DB play. But, those two breakups were still great throws. Not over or under but right where they needed to be.

Josh also played no hero ball to my eye. He took a few sacks that were advisable while protecting the ball. These were positive plays and I said so in the moment. He didn’t throw a single pass I saw that looked like a bad or forced decision.

Add in the legs and the second longest QB rushing TD in playoff history and opponents have to keep a spy in which opens up the backside passing a bit more.

The whole team seemed to respond to him and the situation as well.

I include Brady in this as he seemed to have dialed up a plan that specifically targeted the Steelers for those early TDs ( and the missed one to Diggs) 

Defensive injuries are what they are at this point. But, if we are going to be underperforming on that side of the ball, 2021 Playoff Josh is exactly who we need. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

If Josh gets on a burner the offense can score more points than anyone mitigating our MASH unit defensive woes.  

Playing Mahomes seems to bring out the best in Josh. 

I'm hopeful.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes." - Mike Tyson 

This whole season feels so similar to the 2021 season (minus the injuries on defense).  Now we have a 6:30 divisional game on a Sunday against Kansas City.  Let's hope if it's close the ball breaks are way this time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think it was Josh's best game of the year. I know the passing yardage doesn't jump off the page, and he missed a couple of throws (by inches) here and there but he was dialled in the whole game, made really smart decisions and when the moments were there where we needed a play he made one. If Josh played like that every week the Bills would be 17-0. I don't think that is an understatement. And take out the Knox drop his guys made plays for him. 

The only "oooo don't do that" moment I had in the entire game was the jump pass to Ty Johnson over the middle where I don't think the reward (a 3 or 4 yard gain) was worth the risk. But maybe it is a turning point because I feel so many times this season that would have popped up right into a defender's hands. Whereas there Josh got that bit of luck he definitely deserved for his overall display. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Josh also played no hero ball to my eye. 

Agree 99.8% with the post. ***** baller performance from Josh AGAIN!

But that play where he rolled out right, then got sprinting towards the sideline, and then thought the best available option was to jump up both feet and sling one across his body into traffic for a first down was somewhat heroic 🤣 great catch by diggs, unreal play

But agree totally overall - the best player in all of football when he is locked in like that 🔥🔥

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Playoff Josh is a different animal altogether.  This is a Pittsburgh defense that thrives off turnovers, and the national (and sometimes local) narrative on Josh is that he’s a turnover machine (often without proper context).  To play that sort of game with those stakes and come away with four total TDs and no turnovers tells me Josh is locked in and is going to do everything in his power to get the job done without being reckless.

Oh, how the fans of the Fish must watch this and know in their depraved hearts they will continue to play second fiddle in the AFC East as long as Josh is playing…

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it was Josh's best game of the year. I know the passing yardage doesn't jump off the page, and he missed a couple of throws (by inches) here and there but he was dialled in the whole game, made really smart decisions and when the moments were there where we needed a play he made one. If Josh played like that every week the Bills would be 17-0. I don't think that is an understatement. And take out the Knox drop his guys made plays for him. 

The only "oooo don't do that" moment I had in the entire game was the jump pass to Ty Johnson over the middle where I don't think the reward (a 3 or 4 yard gain) was worth the risk. But maybe it is a turning point because I feel so many times this season that would have popped up right into a defender's hands. Whereas there Josh got that bit of luck he definitely deserved for his overall display. 

Forgot about the TJ jump pass. And I agree. My son and I where on him about it at the time.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Oh, how the fans of the Fish must watch this and know in their depraved hearts they will continue to play second fiddle in the AFC East as long as Josh is playing…

😍🔥🦬

1 hour ago, ScottishBills said:

Agree 99.8% with the post. ***** baller performance from Josh AGAIN!

But that play where he rolled out right, then got sprinting towards the sideline, and then thought the best available option was to jump up both feet and sling one across his body into traffic for a first down was somewhat heroic 🤣 great catch by diggs, unreal play

But agree totally overall - the best player in all of football when he is locked in like that 🔥🔥

I also think there should be some props for Joe Brady. The playcalling wasn't perfect I felt like up 21 he got away from the run a bit and our offense looks better at the moment when we are balanced. But he is designing plays that give Josh single defender reads and put those defenders in a bind. Both of the two touchdowns to tight ends fitted that description. On the first one, if the defender comes up to play Cook throw Knox in the endzone, if he sits on Knox throw Cook who has one man to beat to probably score himself. On the second one if the safety bites down you have a one on one with your receiver having leverage outside if he stays wide you have Kincaid with the seam. This sort of really simple, clever design was missing earlier in the year when it almost felt like "we will run our plays and the defense will do what it does, but we will out execute" that is a hard place to live in the NFL.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

This whole season feels so similar to the 2021 season (minus the injuries on defense).  Now we have a 6:30 divisional game on a Sunday against Kansas City.  Let's hope if it's close the ball breaks are way this time.

The similarity to 2022 is what has me worried, Doc.

I feel like we're limping into the Chiefs game the way we limped into last year's playoff game with the Bengals.  Too battered and bruised to compete with a good team.  

By the end of the game yesterday, we were missing our 4 best CBs (White, Douglas, Benford, Johnson) and our 4 best LBs (Milano, Bernard, Dodson, Spector).   

Meanwhile, KC will line up two All-Pro quality DBs against us.  And they have 2 extra days for recuperation and preparation.  

Fingers crossed, we'll get some good news when the injury report gets updated.  

But with the defense in bandages, I think we may need Josh to don his Superman cape and put a lot of points on the board.  

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he may have been on against the Dolphins, it's just his bad regular season turnover luck masked it. He marched that offense down the field all day, the first turnover was pretty clearly a miscommunication, WR goes one way Josh threw it the other and the DB managed to catch it off the grass. Second one was a 4th down give a WR in the endzone a chance maybe get a penalty throw but the WR tripped/was tripped. Before the half he threw a damn TD Cook just dropped it, and the throw to Ty was both a great stop and incredibly dirty hit by the defender. Fumble defender gets into the pocket that quick and smacks the ball not much you can do about that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, ddaryl said:

We are almost there, one more win should unlock God Mode.

We’ve seen God Mode Josh Allen before!

Significant destruction, but a lengthy cool down period after lol

On his 52 yard TD run, #39 wanted NOTHING to do with Allen.

I think 39 is Minka Fitz 

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

This season is almost a replica of 2021 in virtually every way, so why wouldn't it also hold in the playoffs?

The thing about Josh is, the bigger the game, the more he is at home. 
    Maybe not last year, but two years ago and this year. Even his very first game against the Texans he dropped a few dimes that were dropped in or near the EZ.

He is EXACTLY the opposite of Prescott. 

I wouldn't 'go that far, if anything because the Bills and Allen still had way to many drives that stalled out yesterday especially when they could have ended the game much earlier.

But Allen wasn't going to be denied yesterday and if that same guy shows up against the Chiefs then myself and anyone else picking against the Bills this week (and there will be many) will be dead wrong.

• Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I wouldn't 'go that far, if anything because the Bills and Allen still had way to many drives that stalled out yesterday especially when they could have ended the game much earlier.

But Allen wasn't going to be denied yesterday and if that same guy shows up against the Chiefs then myself and anyone else picking against the Bills this week (and there will be many) will be dead wrong.

What did Gisele B say ?

He can’t catch the balls too.

The Steelers D was a legit opponent out there and we hung 31 on them. 
Next week is scary but winnable.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Outside of a 3rd and long dump off to Latavious Murray, I thought Brady called a really good game.  I feel we play our best, when we are aggressive and pass the ball early/often, and follow it up with the running game, as a great counter punch.  When we push to try and establish the run 1st, often times our offense looks out of sync and struggles.  Keep passing during those early neutral downs.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

What did Gisele B say ?

He can’t catch the balls too.

The Steelers D was a legit opponent out there and we hung 31 on them. 
Next week is scary but winnable.

If Bass didn’t have the yips, it’s 37.  

14 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Great Josh was back yesterday.

Completion percentage in the 70s, interception rate in the zeros (😜). Eye test tells us he was decisive and pulled the trigger quicker. 

And, Dime DROPPING!!!! He threw 4 

beautiful long balls. Two ended up as touchdown. One to Diggs was broken up by a perfectly timed high point tip by the DB. The other to Kincaid (?) in the front corner of the end zone was thrown from the other side of the field, under pressure, and was also broken up by a great DB play. But, those two breakups were still great throws. Not over or under but right where they needed to be.

Josh also played no hero ball to my eye. He took a few sacks that were advisable while protecting the ball. These were positive plays and I said so in the moment. He didn’t throw a single pass I saw that looked like a bad or forced decision.

Add in the legs and the second longest QB rushing TD in playoff history and opponents have to keep a spy in which opens up the backside passing a bit more.

The whole team seemed to respond to him and the situation as well.

I include Brady in this as he seemed to have dialed up a plan that specifically targeted the Steelers for those early TDs ( and the missed one to Diggs) 

Defensive injuries are what they are at this point. But, if we are going to be underperforming on that side of the ball, 2021 Playoff Josh is exactly who we need. 

His ball placement on all throws outside of a couple were exceptional. Only ones I can think of that were off were the out route to Diggs, dump off to Johnson over the middle (too high), and the Isabella screen that was missed. 

14 hours ago, Bill Grundy said:

He seemed relaxed and down to earth in his post game interviews. Which is great. He's becoming more comfortable in his skin post-season.

I said it in the post game thread for week 18, but beating the Dolphins and winning the division seemed to lift something on the team. I've felt there was some sort of pall or.. malaise with them going back to last season. After winning that game, everyone seemed more relaxed Josh especially.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

If Knox catches that ball to start the 3rd quarter I feel like we win by 24 points.  

Also the blocked FG made it closer than it had to be.  But to me never really in doubt.   

The blocked FG and near 30yard chase back to jump on it was a huge momentum shift in the game.  It gave the Steelers life and reinforced the notion that if they could get one more turnover they could steal a win.

Had Bass made that kick, the game was over.  Instead, it lifted the Steelers and signaled the dog fight that was the 3rd quarter.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

The blocked FG and near 30yard chase back to jump on it was a huge momentum shift in the game.  It gave the Steelers life and reinforced the notion that if they could get one more turnover they could steal a win.

Had Bass made that kick, the game was over.  Instead, it lifted the Steelers and signaled the dog fight that was the 3rd quarter.  

There were moments even before that. 2:30+ seconds in the second quarter and on the Steelers side of the field we throw it 3 times after running it down their throat earlier. Killed no clock and they had all there timeouts and scored a TD.

Even before that the refs thwarted our momentum getting a 3rd turnover on the clear fumble recovery. 

Lots of moments we could’ve blown them out early and rested guys who didn’t need to get hurt. BUT it’s never easy for our bills. We’ll take all this past 3 years of chaos and use it as battle tested armor to win it all this year. It’s time 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My nephew had his birthday party that night of 13 seconds. Watched the game at my brothers place. My brother is a fins fan and my cousin a cowboy fan. Everyone was rooting for the Bills. Whole house erupted when Josh threw what seemed to the game winner. 
this year same thing and a lot of the same people will be there. It’s eerie. Hopefully the outcome is different  

Edited by AlfaBill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.