Super wild card weekend schedule is all wrong

Xwnyer

From my view the two games that should be played on first day would be the number 2 versus number 7 seed.     Being the number 2 seed, assuming win the game, should  earn an extra day rest.  Also it’s time to get rid of the MNF game as well.  The teams playing the monday game are at a big disadvantage .  I understand this creates an issue with the need for six playoff games as to what other game would be played on Saturday.  Maybe that would be best 3-6 matchup based on record which would have been chiefs and fins this year.  

this year even without the weather issues the number 3 seed chiefs get an extra day rest for matchup with Bills assuming win.  Plus I think it’s time to go back to six teams get in the division champs and two wild card teams.  The two top seeds get bye.

I understand it will never happen because of the greed of the NFL and what its partners pay to broadcast 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

You're right, it will never happen. You could also make an argument that playing it on Saturday gives you a day less of rest from the week before. So pick your poison.

More likely you're going to see this:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

You're right, it will never happen. You could also make an argument that playing it on Saturday gives you a day less of rest from the week before. So pick your poison.

Hope not.

MLK isn't a holiday most people get off. It's not like New Years, Memorial Day or Labor Day in that regard. 

If we want to reward the 2 seed something extra as the OP suggests, how about they get to choose opponent, day and time. That would be pretty wild. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

From my view the two games that should be played on first day would be the number 2 versus number 7 seed.     Being the number 2 seed, assuming win the game, should  earn an extra day rest.  Also it’s time to get rid of the MNF game as well.  The teams playing the monday game are at a big disadvantage .  I understand this creates an issue with the need for six playoff games as to what other game would be played on Saturday.  Maybe that would be best 3-6 matchup based on record which would have been chiefs and fins this year.  

this year even without the weather issues the number 3 seed chiefs get an extra day rest for matchup with Bills assuming win.  Plus I think it’s time to go back to six teams get in the division champs and two wild card teams.  The two top seeds get bye.

I understand it will never happen because of the greed of the NFL and what its partners pay to broadcast 

It’s the easiest fix ever:

All AFC games play Saturday 

All NFC games play Sunday

Makes for an amazing weekend of football and no conference gets screwed by scheduling advantages. AND no one gives a rip about Monday night games

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

In your scenario thuis year Bills would have played on Monday night in Miami returning at 4am and then at best playing Saturday night. That is far worse than playing second round on Sunday again against a team that played on Saturday.  

They only way to make it completely fair is to do all neutral site games and play it like a tournament. Which will never happen. 

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

The NBA is putting regular season games on MLK Day.  They also have a somewhat different fanbase demo than the NFL. 

The NFL would be putting one of a handful of coveted playoff games on a Monday afternoon, by choice, for a holiday that most of their fanbase is working on.  

We’ll see what the ratings are .. at best, they would hope for a March Madness scenario where it’s such a big deal that people just accept call-outs and zero production on the first Thursday and Friday of the Tournament. 

3 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

I don't mind the 7 seeds. I actually prefer it. I do however agree with getting rid of the Monday night playoff game. When they did 3 Saturday and 3 Sunday the first year on this schedule, I thought it was great. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I was anti going to 7 teams in the playoffs when it happened. I am a fan of it now.

I think it makes the 1 seed a lot more valuable. I do like it

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Money is all that matters with companies nowadays. Purely financial decisions.

Exactly.  The sad part is for a fan of the game all these changes the NFL continues to make for the sake of increasing revenue is watering down the product 

I think it’s to balance some of the competitive advantage between the two and three seed. We have the same record as the chiefs yet they have to travel to us (assuming we win, in this scenario) in the second round. they get an extra day rest for balance. When the one and two seed have the same record and have to go to tiebreakers then we’ll see some real gripes. 

Edited by Shortchaz

17 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The NBA is putting regular season games on MLK Day.  They also have a somewhat different fanbase demo than the NFL. 

The NFL would be putting one of a handful of coveted playoff games on a Monday afternoon, by choice, for a holiday that most of their fanbase is working on.  

We’ll see what the ratings are .. at best, they would hope for a March Madness scenario where it’s such a big deal that people just accept call-outs and zero production on the first Thursday and Friday of the Tournament. 

It's not like most of the fanbase don't work on Saturday/Sunday afternoon/evening of a regular week. I don't see an issue 🤷

15 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

Hence the high prices and Peacock😎

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I was anti going to 7 teams in the playoffs when it happened. I am a fan of it now.

It’s just more of the trend that everyone gets a participation award, what’s next? Another level of poorly performing teams gets to the playoffs, where does it stop? 

48 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

“nowadays.” 😂 love when people say this. 

Because back in the “good old days” companies didn’t care about profit, and were just giant Santas, sprinkling their EBITDA around to the poors like magic fairy dust. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Because back in the “good old days” companies didn’t care about profit, and were just giant Santas, sprinkling their EBITDA around to the poors like magic fairy dust. 

The other layer to this is we’re all invested in companies. We all want return on our investment, I.e. growth. 

28 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s just more of the trend that everyone gets a participation award, what’s next? Another level of poorly performing teams gets to the playoffs, where does it stop? 

That was my objection at the time. But I think it has worked well. And the rationale that only the #1 seed deserves a bye works for me.

37 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Back then when all the corporations and business owners really cared about the welfare of their workers. Remember those days of high wages, limited work hours, safe working conditions, paid vacations all throughout the year, and full benefit packages!

I miss those days that never ever happened...ever in the history of the United States. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

What percentage of the NBA fanbase won't be working on MLK Day? What percentage of the NFL fanbase will be working on MLK Day? Can you supply the data? 

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That was my objection at the time. But I think it has worked well. And the rationale that only the #1 seed deserves a bye works for me.

Only The #1 seed getting the bye week is fine, but mark my words it’s a slippery slope, next, eighteen games, then more teams without the talent for a quality roster or coaches, and an insufficient infrastructure to supply those inadequacies for the foreseeable future…, I could go on, but I’ll spare you me and the members here 😂

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Only The #1 seed getting the bye week is fine, but mark my words it’s a slippery slope, next, eighteen games, then more teams without the talent for a quality roster or coaches, and an insufficient infrastructure to supply those inadequacies for the foreseeable future…, I could go on, but I’ll spare you me and the members here 😂

I don't support expansion. And I wouldn't support an 8 team playoff. But on 7 teams I was against it and I accept I was wrong.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't support expansion. And I wouldn't support an 8 team playoff. But on 7 teams I was against it and I accept I was wrong.

I can see that perspective, and it’s reasonable, 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

What percentage of the NBA fanbase won't be working on MLK Day? What percentage of the NFL fanbase will be working on MLK Day? Can you supply the data? 

The NBA puts games on MLK day as a tradition because a very large portion of their fanbase is black, percentage wise.  

It’s partly symbolic, and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing before you get yourself all worked up. 

It’s also the NBA’s regular season.   They aren’t airing Game 1 of the NBA Finals during the day where half of America is working. 

5 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Yet again, the Bills are possibly in the middle of an experiment from the NFL, albeit this time for an understandable reason. If the game rates well, at least up to the Sunday afternoon Wildcard from previous years, then they may go down this route from next year.

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The NBA puts games on MLK day as a tradition because a very large portion of their fanbase is black, percentage wise.  

It’s partly symbolic, and I’m not saying that’s a bad thing before you get yourself all worked up. 

It’s also the NBA’s regular season.   They aren’t airing Game 1 of the NBA Finals during the day where half of America is working. 

I understand.

I just asked if you could supply the data to support that, because of the demographics of the fanbase, more NBA fans will not be working on MLK day compared to NFL fans. 

18 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

I understand.

I just asked if you could supply the data to support that, because of the demographics of the fanbase, more NBA fans will not be working on MLK day compared to NFL fans. 

I didn’t say that. 

If you inferred that from my post, that’s not what I was alluding to. 

I gave the reasoning for why the NBA schedules regular season games on MLK Day. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.