NFL in advanced talks with ESPN to take over NFL Network

chongli

I stopped watching ESPN's NFL shows and switched to the NFL Network years ago.  Very happy  with the NFL products and on air personalities.  GMF, GameDay, NFL Access are some of the better shows. ESPN will just kill it with their politics. 

Edited by Nitro
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Nitro said:

I stopped watching ESPN's NFL shows and switched to the NFL Network years ago.  Very with the NFL products and on air personalities.  GMF, GameDay, NFL Access are some of the better shows. ESPN will just kill it with their politics. 

Disney is the real problem.

• Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Well that oughta kill any reasonably good programming on NFL Network

Cant wait to watch Peyton Manning get talked over a bad zoom feed and Nick Wright do more breakdowns

4 hours ago, BRH said:

Good, maybe they won't need Nick Wright's services anymore.

Guys.  He's on FS1.  I hope ESPN hires him just to piss people off some more though.  LOL.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, chongli said:

https://nypost.com/2024/01/12/sports/espn-nfl-in-advanced-talks-on-agreement-that-could-give-league-equity-in-tv-giant/amp/

"ESPN, NFL in advanced talks on agreement that could give league stake in TV giant"

"ESPN and the NFL are in advanced talks that could result in the league taking an equity stake in ESPN, The Post has learned. 

As part of a potential agreement, Disney-owned ESPN would take control of NFL Media, which includes NFL Network, and the league would receive equity in ESPN. For the long-term viability of ESPN aligning with the most powerful sports league would enhance its position as the network plans to move to direct to consumer by 2025.

While the idea of an ESPN-NFL alliance has been mentioned before, discussions between Disney-owned ESPN and the NFL are far enough along that sources said that owners and the Players Association are being informed about the talks

[...]

The NFL has been trying to unload its network for years now. In its recent talks that resulted in its $110-plus billion deals with ESPN, Amazon, CBS, Fox, NBC and YouTube, the NFL searched for a buyer, but was unsuccessful.

NFL Media consists of NFL Network, NFL.com, Red Zone, NFL Films and NFL+. Since ESPN covers the league thoroughly, there would be synergies if the two sides are able to reach an agreement. Disney/ESPN might be able to secure better carriage arrangements for NFL Network. 

ESPN has targeted 2025 as the most likely year it will go direct-to-consumer. It is still possible it could move up the date to end of this year. 

When it does, it plans on offering all its programming without a cable subscription. A subscriber could choose to pay for the service directly through ESPN’s app or would still be able to opt for the ESPN channels through a cable or satellite provider.

There goes the NFLN right into the shiter

• Shocked 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Guys.  He's on FS1.  I hope ESPN hires him just to piss people off some more though.  LOL.

oops.  I knew he was on some network I don’t watch :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.