Nick Saban Retiring from Coaching

Process

25 minutes ago, Poleshifter said:

Does it literally cost big money to pick a bunch of players from the portal?

Didn't Sanders bring in 86 new players when he took over at Colorado?

Yes, it does. 

A top tier portal QB alone costs about 500k to 1M or so.  

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Dolphins legend

Prime isn’t a good coach. He excels at getting guys motivated, but that won’t work at Bama alone. Not in the SEC

College ball is all about recruiting IMO.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Yes, it does. 

A top tier portal QB alone costs about 500k to 1M or so.  

you might’ve been missing a zero for a true top tier player. 

arch manning is at like $3m a year in nil, as an example 

15 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Dolphins legend

Ha - I was going to say maybe he can go to the Dolphins and rekindle that magic

4 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

Tough shoes to fill. I feel sorry for Bama’s next coach. Wonder who it will be?

Charles Huff has been a good HC with Marshall and a good recruiter/assistant coach and spent time under Saban in Alabama. If I'm Alabama's Athletic Director he's the guy I'd be looking at.

3 hours ago, Sestak4ever said:

Inside word is Dan Lanning from Oregon. Used to coach linebackers at Georgia.

He can't get Oregon past Washington, I just don't see it but who knows 

3 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Wow. On one hand, this is truly a shocker. OTOH, he’s got tens of millions in the bank, and no one is guaranteed how much time you have left on earth, so he might as well enjoy the rest of his life living the absolute “good life.”

At year’s end, it still might be the biggest sports story of the year. 

I didn't see this one coming at all. Alabama is at real risk here. Prior to Saban they had a long period where they weren't very good and we have seen teams like LSU recruit very well and just not get it done. Georgia is really set up to be the next super power. 

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

He can't get Oregon past Washington, I just don't see it but who knows 

I didn't see this one coming at all. Alabama is at real risk here. Prior to Saban they had a long period where they weren't very good and we have seen teams like LSU recruit very well and just not get it done. Georgia is really set up to be the next super power. 

Well of course they're at risk... Alabama's not winning a national championship anytime soon now

Tremendous run and that's the world of college football..  they'll be back in 15 years when they get another top coach

Several months ago he purchased a house in Florida for approx. 22 million dollars. l heard a rumor of him stepping down a couple of months ago from a guy with big connections to the program.  I tried to block it from my mind. Coach Saban was said to make 11.7 million dollars per season. He also owns a hotel and two Mercedes dealerships. He does not need, nor did he do this for the money.

Jealous haters will insult Coach Saban but NOBODY in college football history (including Bryant and Paterno) has a record that comes close to his. I've been an Alabama Fan since my father sat me in front of the TV as a little talking about the Crimson Tide and I must say that it has been an almost indescribable pleasure. Saban, with seven, has more national titles than and coach active or inactive. Two active coaches are tied for 2nd place. They have two each. 

I finally got to fulfill a lifelong dream and went to a game in Tuscaloosa. It cost me several thousand dollars and was worth every penny. Crimson Tide Fans and Bills Fans have a great deal in common. I am talking about pure and unwavering loyalty. After Bear Bryant stepped down the team was not all that good for many years. When Saban came to town fans were waiting for him at the airport and cheering. We all know what happened and I can only imagine the uproar and sadness going on down there now. 

NOBODY worked harder than Saban. His methods were not a secret, but who would really be willing to work that hard? After winning a title on a Monday Night several years ago he demanded that all of his assistants be at his office on Thursday morning. Coaches did not become assistants at Alabama to have fun. It was demanding, never ending work, but if you are Sarkisian, Kirby, Locksley, Kiffen, Daboll, and countless other former Saban assistants I'm sure they will tell you it was worth it on their way to the bank.

Anyway, thanks Coach Saban for your hard work. Through your guidance, many kids stayed out of trouble and are VERY wealthy. I hope to see you on TV as an analyst (making 5 or 10 million per year) but only if you feel up to it. Stay healthy, best wishes to the best  ever, and thank you .

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

10 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I saw a blurb about Saban, and he would walk into a recruits house, sit with his parents and say when you come to Alabama you're not making a decision for the next 4 years.  You're setting yourself up for the next 40 years (referring to the millions and millions of dollars of NFL signing bonuses from guys playing there).

Hard to say no to that!

12 hours ago, SWATeam said:

Used to be. Used to be about how well a coach could convince players and their families that his program is the one to play for, and that the coach would look after their son.

Now it's just the highest biding booster club. Thanks to the short-sighted NCAA, whoever throws the most cash, wins.

But look how well that worked out for Texas A&M this year. Their boosters spent over $30M of their own cash to bring in the #1 recruiting class... only to finish 4th (out of 5) in the SEC West.

Greatest ever. Akin to Bill in NE in regards to winning but college is a different ball game as you’re not retaining or acquiring talent like the NFL but developing it. And developed players for pro is next level. 

Alabama is f-d. 😂

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Why - as that was some time ago and he is more known for his work at Bama?

because it'd be funny to read it that way after so many headlines are being written for him, such as:

image.thumb.png.253c84c673ce43759b2abd67fff04810.png

11 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Are you going to be butt hurt and jealous of The Crimson Tide  and Coach Saban for the rest of your life, or do you think that the pain will fade some after a few years of futile misery?

image.thumb.png.44481016a80633800df76c945027dbb1.png

no, just mocking countless headlines about him that i've seen not mentioning alabama for a very bizare twist.

21 minutes ago, boyst said:

because it'd be funny to read it that way after so many headlines are being written for him, such as:

image.thumb.png.253c84c673ce43759b2abd67fff04810.png

image.thumb.png.44481016a80633800df76c945027dbb1.png

no, just mocking countless headlines about him that i've seen not mentioning alabama for a very bizare twist.

Those are probably local newspapers trying to drum up interest.

I used to see locally articles on Andre Reed "Former Washington ******** player ......" when he had only had 10 receptions for them.

11 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Those are probably local newspapers trying to drum up interest.

I used to see locally articles on Andre Reed "Former Washington ******** player ......" when he had only had 10 receptions for them.

Is redskins really filtered???!!!!🤣

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

Is redskins really filtered???!!!!🤣

It is by me.  I had a site for many years "BillsWatch - Buffalo Bills Bars in Redsuck Territory" hosted by Cox prior to TBD being created.

Cox decided to eliminate user sites so I cancelled service with them.

There is an old backup site out there of it but I stopped maintaining it when host site became to spammy.

wasres.jpg

Edited by Limeaid
added image
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.