Enough with the WR/outside screens!

Einstein

We are simply not good at executing them.

Either the pass it too low, or the receiver/RB doesn’t catch the ball, or a forward blocker doesn’t make contact with their opponent.

How many more plays are we going to waste running a concept that we clearly are not good at? I say we simply stop.

PS, a win is a win. Go Bills! We take the division next week!

IMG-5970.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh legitimately may be the worst QB in the league at throwing a WR screen. He very simply is incapable of putting the ball in the WRs chest. 

I trust Josh to be more accurate on a throw 40 yards down the sideline than to a WR 5 yards away at the line of scrimmage. 

Eliminate it from the playbook.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Either the pass it too low, or the receiver/RB doesn’t catch the ball, or a forward blocker doesn’t make contact with their opponent.

How many more plays are we going to waste running a concept that we clearly are not good at? I say we simply stop.

IMG-5970.jpg

I really hope they're trying to set up something for later, giving them these looks, otherwise it has usually sucked.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Josh legitimately may be the worst QB in the league at throwing a WR screen. He very simply is incapable of putting the ball in the WRs chest. 

He did today.

But like clockwork… drop.

As a complete unit, we simply are incapable of running these plays. Remove them from the playbook!

• Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Process said:

I trust Josh to be more accurate on a throw 40 yards down the sideline than to a WR 5 yards away at the line of scrimmage. 

The pass don’t have to be perfect, it has to be caught. Guys are just dropping them, there is no excuses for that. 

Standing still and catching a ball should not be a problem at this level

Edited by BananaB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BananaB said:

The pass don’t have to be perfect, it has to be caught. Guys are just dropping them, there is no excuses for that. 

Standing still and catching a ball should not be a problem at this level

Agreed. 

However, even if he had caught it, he’s not going far. 

38 minutes ago, Process said:

Or practice it as a priority to get better at, I do agree that Josh has always been miserable at the screen pass in all of its iterations , but it is a viable weapon, that every team knows they can defend against us, make it a weapon they can’t defend against, another arrow in the quiver so to speak, it’s kinda pathetic that a QB of Allen’s caliber can’t throw a screen pass, just sayin, 

• Agree 1

My take:

These are ways they are trying to stretch the defense horizontally because so much of their downfield game is covered, they are making an effort to force guys to commit laterally, opening up throwing windows down the field later on.

You see it often with the tight ends or #2/3 WR coming back over the middle.

I believe we’re bad at it because we have little juice at the positin and Allen can’t deliver the ball in a advantageous position.

By nature our offense is not a fire off the LOS from WR releases and we don’t threaten teams down the field anymore. 

They have no qualms about coming down hill hard to make those plays because of it. At times we’ve burned teams on the back end when they do. 

The play itself is not generally very successful, but the idea behind it is woven into the bigger picture. It’s time they find a new way, new personnel, or new wrinkle to try and achieve the same thing. 

47 minutes ago, Process said:

I think it has more to do with defenses keying on the line of scrimmage because of the threat of Allen running. Makes it hard to run screen passes.

i would be curious if the Ravens also execute poor or few screen passes for the same reason. 

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

IMG-5970.jpg

I agree....now if Joe would only listen. The wr/rb "in the flat" screen is about as worthless as Dorsey's shotgun draw.  But every OC has their pet plays.

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

The guys they have out there suck at blocking and being twitchy carrying the ball.  Gilliam was out blocking for Cook? and got rolled over by a DB. 

You know who also isn’t twitchy?

And has no hole-vision? And has one role, and that’s to push Josh’s buttocks on QB sneaks?

Murray!

I have no doubt Cook gets this 3rd and 1 that Murray was stonewalled on. He had the entire perimeter to bounce out!

IMG-5969.jpg

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Einstein said:

And has no hole-vision? And has one role, and that’s to push Josh’s buttocks on QB sneaks?

Murray!

I have no doubt Cook gets this 3rd and 1 that Murray was stonewalled on. He had the entire permitted to bounce out!

IMG-5969.jpg

Like Von, Murray is playing his way to the bench. That drop was really bad.  When he’s in on short yardage, the defense is just waiting for him to run blindly up the gut. 

46 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

90% of the time the play goes for a loss but yet Brady keeps calling it multiple times every game.  

I’d rather they utilize the RB or TE’s for screens.

It's the new shotgun draw. We're giving away yards conceptually. And that's unforgivable. 

1 hour ago, Process said:

He’s a playmaker off script, but my gosh those two to Cook today were awful decisions, both lost yards (and were not blocked well anyways). 

9 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Like Von, Murray is playing his way to the bench. That drop was really bad.  When he’s in on short yardage, the defense is just waiting for him to run blindly up the gut. 

Playoff Lenny is available and needs to be activated. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Murray should not play another snap for us.  We got about 6 or 7 solid games out of him early on in the season.  And that's it.  He is done.  Had a very good career.  But there comes a time.  Roll w Cook Johnson and Fournette, and we are very good at the RB position.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

those two to Cook today were awful decisions, both lost yards (and were not blocked well anyways). 

So, we can’t throw them well. And we can’t catch them well. And we can’t black them well.

Hmm, perhaps we shouldn’t… 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Murray!

I have no doubt Cook gets this 3rd and 1 that Murray was stonewalled on. He had the entire permitted to bounce out!

IMG-5969.jpg

Before the play was snapped I thought for sure Josh would direct run to the left, the DE on containment was pinched so far inside. After the ball was handed off, I got very frustrated with Murray when he turned his back to the line….It was dead at that point. 

Murray killed two for sure first downs today: Dropped third and short pass, this running play. 

Fournette needs to play. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Einstein said:

So, we can’t throw them well. And we can’t catch them well. And we can’t black them well.

Hmm, perhaps we shouldn’t… 

This is why when every analyst was screaming from the mountain top that we’d found our long lost identity after the Cowboys game, that we could just line up and pound it all game, every game, it just made no sense and was a useless talking point. 

Iron out something in the pass game please. First it was throwing to backs, then it was unleashing Cook as a super weapon, a couple of deep shots that have just missed the past two games.

Oh and Trent Sherfield is useless, so please stop putting him on the field. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I'm officially done with Murray. He's washed, slow and old. Just go with a rotation of James, Ty & Lenny.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

The guys they have out there suck at blocking and being twitchy carrying the ball.  Gilliam was out blocking for Cook? and got rolled over by a DB. 

Was that the first down play right after he got called for holding on the return?

He tried to murder that drive before it even got going.

I thought he had a regrettable day.

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Like Von, Murray is playing his way to the bench.

He really is.

A power back that is ineffective until he gets into space is not helpful to this unit.

Good dude, poor fit. 

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Murray!

I have no doubt Cook gets this 3rd and 1 that Murray was stonewalled on. He had the entire perimeter to bounce out!

IMG-5969.jpg

106 year old running backs are not a good idea.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think it’s a lot how defenses scheme against Allen. Someone always spying.

It is partly that. It is partly the type of linemen we have. It is partly Josh's ball placement on screens isn't the best and it is partly because our screens always feel telegraphed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

90% of the time the play goes for a loss but yet Brady keeps calling it multiple times every game.  

I’d rather they utilize the RB or TE’s for screens.

I actually think they only keep doing it to get Diggs touches.

Something is off with the offense and it seems Brady is trying to preempt Diggs drama by throwing him screens.

If buffalo misses playoffs this week I'd still support a house cleaning. Brady had his moments, Sean's defense is doing *better* but the sauce just ain't there. Everything looks just way too hard for what is supposed to be a top offense in the league.

We certainly aren't moving on from Josh so I'm still squarely in the camp of wanting new coaching.

But this is Sean's chance at his Coughlin moment. They bring home a Lombardi this year and I'll stop complaining.

11 hours ago, Einstein said:

IMG-5970.jpg

One possible good thing is, teams are always sniffing it out. Maybe they’re executing it so badly that come playoff time they have a wrinkle to catch a defender biting extra hard on a sluggo from the opposite side?

I haven’t seen much counter design on the opposite side of the field if it needs to be aborted.

Agree they need to stop it. Especially in close games. With the way it’s designed if a defender makes the correct play on the ball, it’s usually an INT and possible 6 the other way.

Just hope it’s repetition for something else. 

Edited by BBFL

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.