Is Josh Hurt?

Virgil

14 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Josh has regressed

I know I keep saying it, but it's annoying because physically he is MVP. He's probably the most rounded football player to take to the field. But when it comes to the mental side of being a QB he struggles more often than not. He chases the buzz of the big play, he fails to read defenses too often, he fails to take easy plays which often results in a missed play. He has so much potential and, despite the stats, there is more to be tapped. I think it starts with a focused close season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I know I keep saying it, but it's annoying because physically he is MVP. He's probably the most rounded football player to take to the field. But when it comes to the mental side of being a QB he struggles more often than not. He chases the buzz of the big play, he fails to read defenses too often, he fails to take easy plays which often results in a missed play. He has so much potential and, despite the stats, there is more to be tapped. I think it starts with a focused close season.

Yes you see that shine through when Peyton is talking about him negatively on manning cast / or when Tom brady giving him advice on his podcast 

Too much wild stallion 

too much father in him. (Darth Vader)

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Josh would’ve absolutely smoked the bills defense we started in NE to be fair.  

outplayed by zappe and his 3 ints? Lol I don’t think that’s true either 

How many points did Zappe put on board?  How many points did Josh?  

15 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

A few of his decisions were evident of old Josh.  It worked out on the pitch to Shakir, but he was trying to pitch another time while in the grasp which ended up a fumble which fortunately they recovered.  He was off target on most of his throws 

Dude, come on.  He completed 15 of 30 and most people seem to think there were several scorable drops.  So no, he was not "off target on most of his throws".

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Josh has been outplayed by Zappe, Mac Jones, Tyrod, Zack, Russell.

what the ***** is up with that?  ALARMING

Seriously?  Outplayed by Bailey Zappe and his 3 INTs?  GTFO. 

Where's @LanderPoke?  I think he's the one I was questioning about if people were really saying that.  I need to serve your receipts - I disbelieved, but you were right.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dude, come on.  He completed 15 of 30 and most people seem to think there were several scorable drops.  So no, he was not "off target on most of his throws".

Where's @LanderPoke?  I think he's the one I was questioning about if people were really saying that.  I need to serve your receipts - I disbelieved, but you were right.

How many points did Zappe put up?  How many did Josh?

How about field position?

Its a mystery to me how Mac Jones goes 280 and scores winning TD against us

Edited by Pete

Oh there’s a lot to digest with our Lord and Savior Josh Allen. Let me begin by saying I’d take him over any other QB including Mahomes.

I’m not QB guru but I’ve been saying for a while now his mechanics are off. Sloppy footwork, often throwing off his back foot, rarely squaring up and stepping into a throw. I also think he’s a little dinged up but that’s secondary to his mechanics.

So why are his mechanics off? I think he’s getting the yips a little behind this O-line. I know the grades say one thing, and the line is better than last year definitely. I still see too many free rushers and quick pressures. I see other QBs several times a game have all day to sit back, survey the field, pick their spot and sling it. Watch Lamar against the Lolphins, guy was making sandwiches behind the line then throwing to wide open guys.

Josh isn’t the best QB but he’s the best leader of men, and when his arm is off he tries to make up for it with his running and sheer force of will. I love that. 

As for next year, I wouldn’t be against scrapping this entire EP offense and putting in something simpler with a new OC. I don’t think post snap processing is Josh’s strong suit and having an offense where the answers are a little more defined than having both receivers and Josh need to be on the same page with post snap reads and decisions. I think that’s why we see so many miscommunications with receivers and receivers running in the same area.

The offense is too complex yet often looks vanilla, that’s a bad combo. Our receivers and backs shouldn’t need 6 months to get up to speed in order to play in our offense. Playoff Lenny was like WTF? This is the most complex offense he’s ever been in.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, balln said:

Yea that’s what I think as well. He makes a lot of wow plays. He also make a lot of mind numbningly bad plays. And he doesn’t make the routine play routinely. I think the last item is fixable. 

I also think the bills have never been close to being a legit Super Bowl contender. Looking at the eagles , sf , kc , Brady bucs , la rams…….. those teams had NUMEROUS impact all pro players. BOTH sides of the ball. 

we don’t / haven’t. Allen was all pro ONCE. Second team in 2020

we were/ are a historically losing / hopeless small market franchise that ascended quickly with an unlikely good qb 

it is what it is

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

• Haha (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Pete said:

How many points did Zappe put on board?  How many points did Josh?  

Zappe put up 14 and contributed 10 points directly to us and that’s being generous on how much he cost his team.  josh put up 14 and had a game clinching drive that would’ve resulted in points…not even remotely close who outplayed who 

I wouldn’t say josh was good by any means but zappe was a disaster overall.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

On 12/31/2023 at 5:45 PM, Real McClappy said:

He put them right back in the position they were in before, only this time he had more control than Whaley and it falls on him more. They went for these soft all ins by kicking salaries down the road to keep everyone together, and now it's make or break time and they have no money. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s not always some covert coverup of injuries that explain Allen and Diggs and any other player that we like because we’re Bills fans.

“I think that shoulder is hurting more than the team is letting on” 

So just like last year when the Bills covered up the phantom concussion, now they’re covering up the shoulder? 

Can you explain how Allen uncorks a 60-yarder attempt to Diggs or makes those slip throws at different angles multiple times against the Chiefs, or makes run after run after run at the goal line ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

On 1/1/2024 at 11:11 AM, Beck Water said:

Did you watch the game?  Even some of the completed passes required acrobatics by the receivers.  Most attempts at a screen or LOS pass were low or behind the receiver, not allowing them a chance to gain yardage on the move.  Perhaps you could replace my use of “most” with “many” but I stand by what I saw.  The announcers even mentioned Josh’s inaccuracy.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Did I enter the twilight zone when I clicked on this thread? The Bills would be 4-12 without Josh, there's no other QB I'd rather have on my team, are y'all serious? 

Just a typical day here at OBD. I swear some people wait for a bad Josh game so they can pounce. The Bills aren't 10 wins without him, and in some of the close games he had some ridiculous plays to keep drives alive. It's just sad. I remember the drought years all too well after Kelly and how hard it is to find "the one" when it comes to QB's.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/1/2024 at 1:14 PM, Pete said:

How many points did Zappe put up?  How many did Josh?

How about field position?

Dude, if you want to try to take the position that Bailey Zappe "outplayed" Josh Allen, I'm just gonna sit here with the 🍿.  That's not a discussion I even want to try to get into, other than the necessarily apology I already made to people I pooh-poohed when they told us that was happening.

Its a mystery to me how Mac Jones goes 280 and scores winning TD against us

It may be a mystery to you, but others have pointed out that not only were we missing the defenders who were injured in the Jax game, we were missing Big Ed and still trying to start Dorian Williams for Milano.  I don't think that's very mysterious.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Dude, if you want to try to take the position that Bailey Zappe "outplayed" Josh Allen, I'm just gonna sit here with the 🍿.  That's not a discussion I even want to try to get into, other than the necessarily apology I already made to people I pooh-poohed when they told us that was happening.

It may be a mystery to you, but others have pointed out that not only were we missing the defenders who were injured in the Jax game, we were missing Big Ed and still trying to start Dorian Williams for Milano.  I don't think that's very mysterious.

This is a Patriots offense that managed 13 points COMBINED over a 3 game stretch against the Colts, Giants, and Chargers (all 3 teams are in the bottom 10 for defense). 

Accounting for quality of opponent, allowing 29 points and a game winning 2 minute drill to Mac Jones is probably the worst defensive game in McD's tenure. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

This is a Patriots offense that managed 13 points COMBINED over a 3 game stretch against the Colts, Giants, and Chargers (all 3 teams are in the bottom 10 for defense). 

Accounting for quality of opponent, allowing 29 points and a game winning 2 minute drill to Mac Jones is probably the worst defensive game in McD's tenure. 

I can't argue that.  I expect after that game, Beane started burning up the phone lines to bring in new cavalry on defense.  He didn't burn a 3rd round draft pick to trade for Rasul Douglas and sign Linval Joseph just for giggles

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

How about almost losing at home to Skylar Thompson in last year’s wildcard game?

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

How about almost losing at home to Skylar Thompson in last year’s wildcard game?

OMG. The Dolphins offense was horrible in that game. The Bills offense and ST gifted Miami most of their points and they averaged freaking 3.3 yards per play. The defense was fine in that game.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 12:11 PM, Beck Water said:

Sorry, yeah, there is 👍

1 hour ago, LanderPoke said:

Sorry, yeah, there is 👍

I am an honest Beck. 🌊  I keep receipts, and when I'm shown wrong, I will "belly up" to the bar for my Crow Pie helping. You were right, I was wrong.

FWIW, in his post-practice presser this week, Josh said he has had "bumps and bruises" through the season that affect his mechanics.  He said he and "Coach Brady" started doing some individual drills again before last week's game and he felt his mechanics were improved.  I think that's as close as we're going to get to Josh admitting "yes, I've been hurt and it's affected my throwing mechanics"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.