Joe Brady on the Allen/Davis Miscommunication

Scott7975

I dont have the stomach to rewatch the play again.. but its more davis' fault, than allens, or joe's.

Allen made the correct read on the zero blitz, but davis didnt. only thing allen couldve done better was to tell the wideouts what to expect during presnap.

davis could have read the defense himself and saw the opportunity for it what it was, but he didnt.

id be surprised if they hadnt practiced this exact scenario in the past but idk anymore with how poorly this team plays.

joe is slightly at fault for not putting diggs where davis was, or anyone else for that matter.

in the end, it falls on davis, he wasnt prepared.

and i am prepared for him to gtfo asap

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

So I guess we dont need any coaches at all then?  What do you think a coaches job is?  Its more than just calling plays bro.  Maybe you think its just coincidence that the offense has been way better since the firing.  I assure you that Joe B is using the same playbook and we are still running the same plays.  

Geez ‘Bro’! I simply disagree with you. That must happen from time to time. No? Now to answer your question it doesn’t mean we don’t need coaches but when you’re a veteran professional you better not be relying on coaches to teach you how to do sit-ups. I have no idea what profession you’re in but I bet you don’t have someone reminding you of basic skills and assignments you should have worked out with your teammates long ago. I’m praying you’re not a fireman! 😉

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Geez ‘Bro’! I simply disagree with you. That must happen from time to time. No? Now to answer your question it doesn’t mean we don’t need coaches but when you’re a veteran professional you better not be relying on coaches to teach you how to do sit-ups. I have no idea what profession you’re in but I bet you don’t have someone reminding you of basic skills and assignments you should have worked out with your teammates long ago. I’m praying you’re not a fireman! 😉

Dont take it so harsh.  As for the rest, no I am not a fireman and I am also disabled retired, but I would say my job was important enough that if I did it poorly people would get hurt.  I didn't have coaches. Regardless of vet or pro or rookie, its still a coaches job to fix the problem.  If the problem is two people are often not on the same page then it is the coaches job to find out why and fix it.  It doesn't matter how long these players have been together or how "basic" you think that problem is.  It's still a coaches job to do that.

If you really want an example of my real world job analogy would be... I would be more like the coach in this scenario because I was the head of an industrial maintenance department. For a "basic" thing is when equipment fails, there is a "basic" lockdown procedure to ensure the safety of the people before any work is done.  It doesn't matter how long people have been on the job.  Be it brand new out of training or in the field for 20 years.  These people always skip procedure to save time.  I make sure they don't.  If they do then they will be retrained to not do that.  Thats part of my job.  I also made sure that even though they all know this information, they got recertified in training and testing every year.

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The ***** part is (I know it’s easy to say from tv) the dude was wide open, just throw it to him. Didn’t even need the option nobody was back there. Just put it on him. I know that’s not the play but sheesh

How can you “put it right on him” when you don’t know what direction he’s running? Gabe broke towards the pylon right as Allen threw the ball.

If they knew a zero blitz was coming, then yes ultimately it’s Brady’s fault, but Allen and Davis take blame too. Those two have had a bunch of miscommunications like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

How can you “put it right on him” when you don’t know what direction he’s running? Gabe broke towards the pylon right as Allen threw the ball.

If they knew a zero blitz was coming, then yes ultimately it’s Brady’s fault, but Allen and Davis take blame too. Those two have had a bunch of miscommunications like that. 

I know, it’s hard to blame anyone it was just a tough spot all around. Just have to mane stops. We had several leads and 2 possessions at times. It’s all on the defense to me. Zero chance I’m blaming anything on this offense 

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Dont take it so harsh.  As for the rest, no I am not a fireman and I am also disabled retired, but I would say my job was important enough that if I did it poorly people would get hurt.  I didn't have coaches. Regardless of vet or pro or rookie, its still a coaches job to fix the problem.  If the problem is two people are often not on the same page then it is the coaches job to find out why and fix it.  It doesn't matter how long these players have been together or how "basic" you think that problem is.  It's still a coaches job to do that.

If you really want an example of my real world job analogy would be... I would be more like the coach in this scenario because I was the head of an industrial maintenance department. For a "basic" thing is when equipment fails, there is a "basic" lockdown procedure to ensure the safety of the people before any work is done.  It doesn't matter how long people have been on the job.  Be it brand new out of training or in the field for 20 years.  These people always skip procedure to save time.  I make sure they don't.  If they do then they will be retrained to not do that.  Thats part of my job.  I also made sure that even though they all know this information, they got recertified in training and testing every year.

Scott…if you’re enough to be retired, you should be old enough to know how people will react if you toss the word ‘bro’ at others. With that said, I go back to my original comment….this team is unprepared and the throw to Davis is just another example, regardless of whose fault it is. As I’m sure you’ll agree, the real measuring stick is will anyone at OBD learn from these mistakes. I’m betting on not. 

It could very well be that the rules for running that route have conflicts that were never resolved.  Gabe might be taught that leverage trumps the zero blitz read.  Josh might be taught to make the throw before he can even read the leverage and that the open middle of the field means that's where the throw goes.  The defender may have been inside but Gabe was by him so early that all options were then open.  Maybe Josh needs to take another split second to know for sure where Gabe is going.  There are likely coaching elements to that situation that demand clarity.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Scott…if you’re enough to be retired, you should be old enough to know how people will react if you toss the word ‘bro’ at others. With that said, I go back to my original comment….this team is unprepared and the throw to Davis is just another example, regardless of whose fault it is. As I’m sure you’ll agree, the real measuring stick is will anyone at OBD learn from these mistakes. I’m betting on not. 

sorry. I don’t use bro as derogatory. I use it as  friendly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Thank you....at this point I don't want Gabe involved in any deep blitz plays.  This team has more reliable options.  And I don't care how many people step in and take the blame.  I'm convinced in a "blitz 0" you don't have time for routes involving cuts.  It should've been a straight fly and turn around.  And that's what Josh threw.

He was open. The situation was ambiguous.

They had time for a route involving cuts on that very play.

28 minutes ago, T master said:

Then that means it's McD's fault so he needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY !!! Just ask those haters here ...

No doubt.

We know that McD doesn't have anything to do with any of it.  

He's just a neutral bystander that's created an elusively defined "winning culture.". 

Things should be running themselves by now based upon the foundation that he's created.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

No doubt.

We know that McD doesn't have anything to do with any of it.  

He's just a neutral bystander that's created an elusively defined "winning culture.". 

Things should be running themselves by now based upon the foundation that he's created.  

Yeah.

The way things are running themselves based on the way Belichick - the GOAT - created his foundation.

And nobody's saying that McD doesn't have anything to do with it. He deserves his share of the blame. Oh, wait, no, I forgot, he deserves all of it. It's all his fault. I totally forgot the conventional wisdom. When things go well, it's because we've got Allen. But when they're bad, it's because we've got McDermott. How could I have forgotten?

Edited by Thurman#1

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Joe Marino came to the conclusion that it was probably Josh Allen's fault. But he had a split second to make that decision given the pressure. So, it is what it is.

Plus everyone forgets that G-d awful Josh 4th Qtr  pick on his own 24 that set up the Philly short field go-ahead touchdown.  Totally swung all the momentum of the game.   No way he should have thrown that; look at the replay:  that one is on Josh.   I could argue Josh lost the game right there.  

But hey,  Josh is amazing and lets fire the entire coaching staff bc we lost.  

Fans are morons.  

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I dont have the stomach to rewatch the play again.. but its more davis' fault, than allens, or joe's.

Allen made the correct read on the zero blitz, but davis didnt. only thing allen couldve done better was to tell the wideouts what to expect during presnap.

davis could have read the defense himself and saw the opportunity for it what it was, but he didnt.

id be surprised if they hadnt practiced this exact scenario in the past but idk anymore with how poorly this team plays.

joe is slightly at fault for not putting diggs where davis was, or anyone else for that matter.

in the end, it falls on davis, he wasnt prepared.

and i am prepared for him to gtfo asap

it's not "more Davis' fault though. Why? Because the corner had inside leverage, so outside is the correct option read by Davis.

Am I freaking out at Allen over this split second decision? No

Would I like to see Brady implement some shorter/quicker "zero blitz" options for the WR's on plays like this? Yes

Edited by 34-78-83

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.