Joe Brady on the Allen/Davis Miscommunication

Scott7975

34 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah.

The way things are running themselves based on the way Belichick - the GOAT - created his foundation.

And nobody's saying that McD doesn't have anything to do with it. He deserves his share of the blame. Oh, wait, no, I forgot, he deserves all of it. It's all his fault. I totally forgot the conventional wisdom. When things go well, it's because we've got Allen. But when they're bad, it's because we've got McDermott. How could I have forgotten?

Agreed.  Giving the head coach too much blame makes no sense.  

It more falls onto the position coaches.  

... except when things go well that is.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Haha (+1) 1

The only thing I didn't like about it is knowing you have to make a decision on the fly in a Blitz zero situation, why did we rely on an option route in the first place?  I feel like we should have ran a play vs. blitz zero where all the routes are concrete.  Joe Brady is awesome, but that is one play call I find myself wondering about.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

For me it depends.  If he is resigned cheap and they draft someone high in a WR deep draft then Im ok with that.  If they resign Davis to a big contract and don't draft someone then I think that is a mistake.  I dont think Gabe is as bad as people make him out to be, including myself, but I also think we need to improve there.  Davis drops too many balls for me and I think he and Josh, regardless of whose fault it actually is, is just not on the same page too often.

Im ok with what you’re saying, but why is it, when there’s a “miscommunication” the ball is almost ALWAYS intended for Davis?  I can’t believe the rest of the guys just know what Josh is thinking every time, there’s something to it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

He gets it..

We might be only 13 seconds from a Lombardi 

Not if McD can help it

17 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I already liked this guy way more than Dorsey.  Now I love this guy way more than Dorsey.  He actually tries to fix the problems instead of just status quo hoping people stop making mistakes.

Refreshing to hear. If it was McD, we might've heard that he didn't get what he wanted but someone else forgot to relay the message. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

it's not "more Davis' fault though. Why? Because the corner had inside leverage, so outside is the correct option read by Davis.

Am I freaking out at Allen over this split second decision? No

Would I like to see Brady implement some shorter/quicker "zero blitz" options for the WR's on plays like this? Yes

Did anyone confirm this part? curious tbh

He stacks him right at the 13 which is when Allen lets the ball go, post is an easier throw/catch vs zero than corner

there's no leverage once DBs hips flip

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

The only thing I didn't like about it is knowing you have to make a decision on the fly in a Blitz zero situation, why did we rely on an option route in the first place?  I feel like we should have ran a play vs. blitz zero where all the routes are concrete.  Joe Brady is awesome, but that is one play call I find myself wondering about.

I think there are too many option routes in our offense in general… too many plays go wrong because of a WR reading it differently than Allen 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Did anyone confirm this part? curious tbh

He stacks him right at the 13 which is when Allen lets the ball go, post is an easier throw/catch vs zero than corner

there's no leverage once DBs hips flip

I felt like it was visually obvious that the Cb had inside position on the play.

I would agree with you that the post is the easier throw and catch outside of the positioning.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I felt like it was visually obvious that the Cb had inside position on the play.

I would agree with you that the post is the easier throw and catch outside of the positioning.

I think it's a switch release so yes, DB is always going to be inside the wideout in that situation but again once Davis stacks him he wins either way

• Like (+1) 1

That overhead replay is so hard to watch.. ugh, Davis got the DB to stumble and he was wide open.  The WIN was right there.  The safer throw would seem to be the outside far corner where Gabe was running towards.  That's one of those throws where either Gabe catches it or no one.  So I can't really tell who was in the wrong here.

There was another pass to Gabe (i can't remember when?) but it was 3rd down I believe and Allen hit the DB in the backside instead of throwing it over the top to Gabe who had a step.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

That overhead replay is so hard to watch.. ugh, Davis got the DB to stumble and he was wide open.  The WIN was right there.  The safer throw would seem to be the outside far corner where Gabe was running towards.  That's one of those throws where either Gabe catches it or no one.  So I can't really tell who was in the wrong here.

There was another pass to Gabe (i can't remember when?) but it was 3rd down I believe and Allen hit the DB in the backside instead of throwing it over the top to Gabe who had a step.

watch Diggs after the pass is thrown

he's watching Davis and motions inside w his arm

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

Yeah it's a shame that they are this far into their career together and this deep into the season and aren't on the same page.   Gabe makes a bunch of inexcusable mistakes because he's just not very good........but every time you see stuff like this you also gotta' wonder about Allen's offseasons.    Where Mahomes built a compound in Texas where he meets with his receivers to work on their routes/timing periodically in the offseason.........Allen is all about rest and relaxation.    This season has been an inexplicable cluster*ck of bad execution despite it being the same system since 2018.    

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah it's a shame that they are this far into their career together and this deep into the season and aren't on the same page.   Gabe makes a bunch of inexcusable mistakes because he's just not very good........but every time you see stuff like this you also gotta' wonder about Allen's offseasons.    Where Mahomes built a compound in Texas where he meets with his receivers to work on their routes/timing periodically in the offseason.........Allen is all about rest and relaxation.    This season has been an inexplicable cluster*ck of bad execution despite it being the same system since 2018.    

There's one thing separating the Bills with teams like KC and Philly, and it's kind of an intangible.   The DNA makeup of the Buffalo Bills does not include the clutch gene.  They can compile some of the best offensive numbers the league has ever seen,  They have an incredible knockout punch against mediocre teams... and the defense can use smoke and mirrors to be top 5 in all sorts of categories.  But the team is not clutch when it counts.  and I don't know how that gets fixed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, MJS said:

Joe Marino came to the conclusion that it was probably Josh Allen's fault. But he had a split second to make that decision given the pressure. So, it is what it is.

It can not be on Allen though, he had to throw the ball before Davis made any break and the WR has the option to go corner or inside, so Allen has to go where he thinks Davis is going to choose based on the coverage.  Doesn't really make either guy wrong, its part of the risk with a WR option when a QB is forced to throw before the break.  Most plays there is more clear choice, on this one, it was pick a direction they are both easy TD's.

Based on the look at the time Allen threw it, inside is where it looked like Davis "should" go.  That also doesn't mean its Davis fault either, but I think the bigger issue is that next time, there needs to be a predetermined understanding of where to break on that look vs an option.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, zow2 said:

There's one thing separating the Bills with teams like KC and Philly, and it's kind of an intangible.   The DNA makeup of the Buffalo Bills does not include the clutch gene.  They can compile some of the best offensive numbers the league has ever seen,  They have an incredible knockout punch against mediocre teams... and the defense can use smoke and mirrors to be top 5 in all sorts of categories.  But the team is not clutch when it counts.  and I don't know how that gets fixed.

My guess is that what "clutch" really is in the current NFL is having a high level of offensive self awareness.  And this is something you won't get from a defensive minded coach in the same way you do from an offensive minded one.

And what does a high level of offensive self awareness mean:

*  First, it's recognizing when you have THAT guy at QB.  The Bills have shown that they have this level of offensive self awareness.

*  Then once you know you have that guy, Free Agency and the draft are focused against surrounding their elite QB with the best possible talent.  The Bills ave FAILED to do this.

*  In game situations it's understanding when to press things offensively and knowing when to hold back. This includes when to go for it on 4th down and how to approach end of the half/late game situations. During games the Bills repeatedly show that they lack this level of offensive self awareness.

So what to do? Fire McD and replace him with an offensive minded HC.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BobBelcher said:

I think part of the issue is that this isn't really Joe Bradys system yet.  For example, Leonard Fournette said this was by far the most complicated passing system he has ever seen and would take a while to get up to speed (Dorsey was OC when he was signed).  And there was many direct references to how complicated our system is where WR's often have 5 options on a route.

But I have no doubt Brady is going to adjust this in future situations.  IMHO Brady is crushing it so far...only 2 games...but I have been very impressed with him during games and in his interviews thus far.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think part of the issue is that this isn't really Joe Bradys system yet.  For example, Leonard Fournette said this was by far the most complicated passing system he has ever seen and would take a while to get up to speed (Dorsey was OC when he was signed).  And there was many direct references to how complicated our system is where WR's often have 5 options on a route.

But I have no doubt Brady is going to adjust this in future situations.  IMHO Brady is crushing it so far...only 2 games...but I have been very impressed with him during games and in his interviews thus far.  

Its very similar to the NE patriots offense that was run with brady.  Motion can change route combinations, leverage can adjust route direction and depth, same plays can be run out of multiple formations, etc.  When its working it almost feels like you can't do anything to stop it.  When its not, the QB is double clutching all the time and receivers seem to be in the wrong spots.  

Part of the reason edelman was so successful there was because he was a QB prior to playing WR.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Brady's exactly right: it's on him.  Except that he's only been on the job for two weeks.  

The failure of that play was a training issue, and the necessary training takes place in the off-season and continues into the season.  Allen and Davis have to KNOW what to do on that play, know every little aspect of it, and beyond knowing they have to actually do it when the time comes.   Someone screwed up because he wasn't well enough trained, and that problem is an offensive coordinator problem.  It's his job to be sure that his coaches - the QB coach and the wide receiver coach - are holding their players to the appropriate high standard. 

During the broadcast, Romo was emphatic about it being Davis's mistake.   He was talking about what he was trained to do, so it might not be the same for the Bills, but he said that going deep against single coverage, when he beats the coverage the wide receiver must look back and find the ball BEFORE making his cut.   If Davis had looked back, he would have tracked the ball into the end zone to win the game.   If that's right, then Davis wasn't trained well enough, and that's on Dorsey and the wide receivers' coach.  Brady was correct organizationally - it's on the OC, but in his defense, he wasn't the OC when Davis should have been drilled about this.  

People point to the Davis mistake as another tally on the condemn-Davis ledger.   Yes, it belongs on that side of the ledger, but there was a lot of excellent play from Davis in that game that goes on the other side.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So to Brady's quote "we knew this was coming".  This would have actually been a VERY GOOD use of a time out to ensure everyone was on the same page for this HUGE situation.  Seems like so many of our time outs are reactionary ("let's look at how they're gonna line up first"), silly ("Let's try to draw them Offside to get a first down") or wasted ("I'm gonna ice their kicker.  That's definitely gonna work").

But on a 3rd & 6 from their 22 in overtime where we potentially have 2 plays to get 6 yards, and we're sure what defense we're gonna see and which requires all pieces know how to react... 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.