When did The Curse begin?

Simon

I'm not debating whether or not a curse exists; the inexplicable number of bizarre incidents this team (and to a lesser extent, the Sabres) has dealt with over the decades is undeniable.

My question is when exactly did this all start?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It started when the team named itself after a city that named itself after the buffalo. For those that don't know this is from an article I found:

In many Plains Indian myths, buffalo gave themselves up willingly as a food source for humans, and therefore have a special position of honor and respect

And this is why we have so many weird things happen to our franchise. We are commonly sacrificed for the benefit of others. Our miser and suffering has brought delight to literally tens of millions of fans, throughout the lands of places such as Dallas, Tennessee, New Jersey, Denver, Minnesota, all the way to Arizona and many places in between.

As we have suffered we have become respected and loved across the land. Which is why our fortune hasn't changed much, but out TV ratings are up. Truly America's Favorite Team.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It started when the team named itself after a city that named itself after the buffalo. For those that don't know this is from an article I found:

In many Plains Indian myths, buffalo gave themselves up willingly as a food source for humans, and therefore have a special position of honor and respect

And this is why we have so many weird things happen to our franchise. We are commonly sacrificed for the benefit of others. Our miser and suffering has brought delight to literally tens of millions of fans, throughout the lands of places such as Dallas, Tennessee, New Jersey, Denver, Minnesota, all the way to Arizona and many places in between.

As we have suffered we have become respected and loved across the land. Which is why our fortune hasn't changed much, but out TV ratings are up. Truly America's Favorite Team.

This is the best explanation I’ve heard! Thanks for sharing. 
As far as the burial ground thing goes, the same thing was said here in Sacramento about the Kings stadium, well they built a new stadium 15 miles away and the luck is still the same, so far 😊

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Found this on the Interweb so it must be true:  

The Buffalo Name Theory industry had a good year in 1863, perhaps inspired by a disagreement with Fillmore’s speech. Three new theories appeared in print courtesy of William Ketchum. The Seneca Named Buffalo theory (1863) is one of them. An old man whose Seneca name meant “Buffalo” lived by the creek. White settlers found him there, learned his name and its meaning, and so named the creek. Plausibility level: High

The creek in question is Buffalo Creek....

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm not debating whether or not a curse exists; the inexplicable number of bizarre incidents this team (and to a lesser extent, the Sabres) has dealt with over the decades is undeniable.

My question is when exactly did this all start?

September 14, 1901 when President William McKinley was assassinated. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think it all started when I started looking. Before I looked I didn’t see any of this. 

Schrodinger's curse?

11 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It wasn't named after the animal though.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

My dad bought me a Doug flutie jersey when I was a kid and it was two sizes too large. It has been hanging in my closet since 1998 cursing the bills 

I was conceived in early 1990 Cursing them since my existence. Anything that happened before me is inexplicable

Edited by Bills!Win!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.