Fixing the Officiating

st pete gogolak

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

I’m not going to go down the conspiracy rabbit hole, but with all the money being bet on NFL games, the League HAS to do something to reduce the influence the officials have on game outcomes.  Obviously, it will never be reduced to zero, but there has to be a way to at least reduce their influence.  Here are my thoughts but very interested if anyone has a thought on this.

Defensive PI.  Move from spot foul to 15 yards.  If “flagrant” PI becomes an issue, tinker with the rule the following year.  

Illegal contact. Increase area for contact from 5 to 10 yards.  Eliminate ticky tack fouls. Contact has to be substantial and reduce receiver’s ability to contest for a catch.  The call on the Eagles last night in the second half gifting the Chiefs a first down was a travesty.  

Defensive holding. Again, eliminate ticky tack foul.  Holding has to reduce receiver’s ability to contest for a catch. 

Offensive holding. At least be consistent.

Sick of refs determining outcomes.  Thoughts?

Agree 100%👍

43 minutes ago, Chaos said:

A couple of concrete suggestions:

1) Defensive Pass Interference is the single biggest game changer.   I think the rules would be much improved if there were two versions of DPI (like there is with fask masking, or roughing the kicker).  Flagrant/Intentional spot foul as it is now.  Incidental, same as defensive holding, five yards automatic first down.  Obviously this involves some judgement, still but I think it would be better. 

2)Roughing the Passer.  Another game changer. Like roughing the kicker, I feel like there needs to be a five yard and 15 yard version.   Again, it involves judgement, but I think we all know that when they wait until Patrick Mahomes requests the RTP call, it likely means it was not flagrant, as one example. 

There aren't 2 facemask penalties anymore.  They are all 15 yards.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

I’m not going to go down the conspiracy rabbit hole, but with all the money being bet on NFL games, the League HAS to do something to reduce the influence the officials have on game outcomes.  Obviously, it will never be reduced to zero, but there has to be a way to at least reduce their influence.  Here are my thoughts but very interested if anyone has a thought on this.

Defensive PI.  Move from spot foul to 15 yards.  If “flagrant” PI becomes an issue, tinker with the rule the following year.  

Illegal contact. Increase area for contact from 5 to 10 yards.  Eliminate ticky tack fouls. Contact has to be substantial and reduce receiver’s ability to contest for a catch.  The call on the Eagles last night in the second half gifting the Chiefs a first down was a travesty.  

Defensive holding. Again, eliminate ticky tack foul.  Holding has to reduce receiver’s ability to contest for a catch. 

Offensive holding. At least be consistent.

Sick of refs determining outcomes.  Thoughts?

It sucks, but I would think they won't do anything about it since nothing has been done by now 

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Whatever became of the 'full time official' concept of years ago?  No more bored judges, lawyers, and CEOs micromanaging the games. 🤔

This right here make it a full time job that pays 100k a year and there 1 job is to know the rules backwards and forward and be able to make the call when they see it. 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I’ll get more into the weeds later because I’m at work but the officiating is a HUGE problem and has been. Here are a couple quick fixes the NFL needs to do:

1. make the NFL refs a full time gig and let them get paid a lot of money 

2. make refs accountable for their mistakes with suspensions and eventual firings

NFL has deep pockets and should’ve done something to pay the good refs rightfully years ago. By doing 1 and 2 on my list there will be so many more potentially great applicants to become refs in the future and we won’t have the “boys club” we have now that doesn’t feel the pressure to make a good call or else.  This may not fix everything but I guarantee it’ll help out a lot 

This solves absolutely none of the issues with refs other than pay

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Patrick Duffy said:

It sucks, but I would think they won't do anything about it since nothing has been done by now 

Tend to agree.  One thing that may force changes is a ref being caught fixing games for cash.  It happened with an NBA ref. It very well could happen in the NFL.  Even if it does, 50/50 whether they take any real steps to solve the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

As we see every week in the NFL, there is absolutely NO guarantee that a receiver is even going to make the catch, whether it’s 10 yards downfield or 50. So yes, limiting a PI penalty to 10 or 15 yards would be a good thing.

That would be a huge mistake. You’d essentially ruin one of the most exciting parts of the entire game. 

I know bombs are one of the things that drew me to the game as a kid. If you make pi a 10-15 yard penalty you’re guaranteeing every single bomb where the db is beat will end in a pi. 

Heck, there’d be some teams/coaches that would strategize to do that stuff and squeeze them when they’re too close to attempt anymore bombs. 

It would be a really bad idea for the game (making it result in more pi’s/flags, and much less bomb tds), and for the nfl because for the same reasons as it’s bad for the game. New watchers want excitement, not flag central. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Nobodys gonna like this, but some penalties and non penalties need to be reviewable. Human error will never go away.

Agreed…especially roughing the passer, but this was tried with DPI and the results weren’t what people had hoped for…

The NFL/ the league/ the owners make no changes unless it enhances the revenue flow…, 

54 minutes ago, BananaB said:

So when you throw a 50 yard pass it’s beneficial for the DB to take a PI penalty?

It  is situational.  Clearly you can't have DBs simply clobbering recievers because they got burned.  But when Russell Wilson underthrows a pass by 10 yards, and the WR turns first and stops in his tracks due to the underthrow, and the defensive back runs into him, it should not be a spot foul. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The solution is quite easy and I’ve been saying this forever. 

ONLY CALL BLATANT PENALTIES. 

if it’s even a little bit close, a shred of doubt don’t call it. But call it the same way for both sides. They literally could drop a flag on about 90% of plays, for one thing or another with how ticky tacky they call it now. But it ruins the game. Someone is getting hosed and the game flow is jacked up and the game is difficult to watch. Just throw WAY les flags and it will be 10x better and more enjoyable. Less flags == Less room for error. 

Defenses have been clawing back quite a bit this year in terms of yards and points allowed per game.  Scoring peaked in 2020 and has been falling ever since...2020 was the highest scoring season in NFL history(24.8 points), this year is tied for 28th currently(21.7 points).  These are per team averages so scoring in a game is down over 6 points on average from 2020.

Yards gained again peaked in 2020 with teams averaging 359 yards, most in NFL history, this year we are 17th at 331.1 yards per team.  Yards per play peaked in 2020 at 5.6 YPP, again highest in NFL history. This year we are at 5.2, the lowest since 2007. 

Yards passing are slightly up over last year but down over 20 yards from 2020, which surprisingly was only 3rd in NFL history in terms of average yards per game.  2015 and 2016 both had more yards passing per team on average, but only by 2-3 yards.

Seems defenses have made adjustments to the pass happy attacks and have gotten better schematically and personnel wise to reeling them in somewhat.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.