One big reason for optimism - the QBs

BillsFan619

Each team’s QB in the playoff race:

Browns - DTR

Steelers - Pickett

Texans - Stroud (good but the rookie wall is real)

Bengals - Browning

Colts - Minshew

Us - JA, who is 19-3 since 2020 from week 11 on. ‘Nuff said.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Dude said:

Yes, JA > those QBs

but we’ll be facing some of the leagues best QBs in the next few games

I know I sound crazy, but I don’t get the Eagles hype. Let me rephrase that, the Eagles are a very good team, I don’t get the Jalen Hurts hype. I think his roster and his max squat carry that team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I know I sound crazy, but I don’t get the Eagles hype. Let me rephrase that, the Eagles are a very good team, I don’t get the Jalen Hurts hype. I think his roster and his max squat carry that team. 

You may be right. Either way Mahomes, Hurts, Prescott, Herbert, Tua are all top tier QBs and we’ve got to beat at least 3 of them. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Some contenders suffered some worse luck than us.  I ain’t sad about it.  Just keep the bad kick away from us and win some games. 

We can make a run.  Next week will tell us how serious of a team we are

Yup, we can definitely make a run.

With the list of QBs I mentioned, even with our schedule, we have as good of a shot as anyone. We most likely have even a better shot than many of those teams simply because we have JA.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Yup, we can definitely make a run.

With the list of QBs I mentioned, even with our schedule, we have as good of a shot as anyone. We most likely have even a better shot than many of those teams simply because we have JA.

Go Bills!

You always have a chance when you have Josh Allen.  It's an even higher chance when he has the offense getting production out of whomever is open any given play.  Easy to take what is open when the target finishes the play.  And with the running game producing it kept our defense fresh and able to make the plays as needed late in the game.  The offense didn't panic when the Jets threatened to close the gap they just kept chipping away at the Jets till they broke down under the continuous onslaught.  Allen didn't have to force the deep ball yet he got the longest td pass of the season by using his ability to rifle a pass threw a small window and beating a top corner; though I do think sauce is a tad overrated due to his tendency on holding and that he has gotten away with it  far too often that I don't think he's as talented as others rate him.  Hopefully the league hits him with a hefty fine for his personal foul on Diggs.  I certainly think he's a loose cannon and I could see him cause an injury in Miami if the embarrass him as Allen did.  Tua certainly is capable of embarrassing Sauce.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Disagree.  He is not at Josh's level but very good QB who does not make as many mistakes.

There is a bar/restaurant I go to when I do not want to drive to my Bills bar which can be an hour away.

I got acquainted with an Eagles fan and told him their backup QB was much better than starter and when he took over team would ascend.  He had no confidence and I told him when he started getting more snaps in 2020.  In 2021 he was starter and I told him congratulations and he still seemed depressed about the team and I told him his QB was rising.  In 2022 team was doing great and he told me had playoff tickets and could get 2 for Superbowl and asked if I wanted to go.  Turned him down. He seems to have more faith in Hurts this year.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

You always have a chance when you have Josh Allen.  It's an even higher chance when he has the offense getting production out of whomever is open any given play.  Easy to take what is open when the target finishes the play.  And with the running game producing it kept our defense fresh and able to make the plays as needed late in the game.  The offense didn't panic when the Jets threatened to close the gap they just kept chipping away at the Jets till they broke down under the continuous onslaught.  Allen didn't have to force the deep ball yet he got the longest td pass of the season by using his ability to rifle a pass threw a small window and beating a top corner; though I do think sauce is a tad overrated due to his tendency on holding and that he has gotten away with it  far too often that I don't think he's as talented as others rate him.  Hopefully the league hits him with a hefty fine for his personal foul on Diggs.  I certainly think he's a loose cannon and I could see him cause an injury in Miami if the embarrass him as Allen did.  Tua certainly is capable of embarrassing Sauce.  

Sauce clearly has practiced on how to get away with it holding and other infractions like a magician.

New England DBs were known for this.

Since replay is rarely used except turnover if the zebras do not get a clear view of it they are not calling the penalty.

I could see Sauce doing causing an injury knowing that it makes 2nd game vs Miami later easier.

Sweep the leg. 

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Browns - DTR

Steelers - Pickett

Bengals - Browning

Colts - Minshew

Go Bills!

Too bad we are not playing any of those teams.  Instead we have

Hurts

Mahones

Prescott

Herbert

Mac maybe

Tua

thats are tough stretch. We need at least 30 each outing. Will be tough but still alive. Go Bills. 

16 minutes ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Hurts

Mahones

Prescott

Herbert

Mac maybe

Tua

thats are tough stretch. We need at least 30 each outing. Will be tough but still alive. Go Bills. 

They may indeed need 30+ a game to win versus those qbs. I'll gladly take Josh as the Qb that can get that done.  Against the Jets defense they got the win and dominated ToP, the defense did enough to keep Jets scoreless.  Josh seems to have found the fun again and I don't think that Diggs cares he was held to so few yards, didn't Diggs tweak his back recently in practice?  Could be they deliberately didn't target Diggs as usual if he's nursing a sore back.  Could see him telling the coaches to use him as a decoy to help free up other guys and then Shakir finishing off a nice throw by Allen.  Kincaid is gonna be drawing more coverage now too so If teams leave Gabe open he could easily start catching passes when he's not being jammed.  He's streaky so when it's not clicking Allen can cycle through his options till he finds the right mix against any given opponent.  I hope Knox gets back soon too because as Kincaids getting more targets having Knox and Kincaid both on field Diggs won't have many games where he's shut down for low yardage.  

The "other teams' QB" point is real, and I am optimistic that the Bills will have a shot at a Wild Card spot going into week 18.

HOWEVER...

The Bills AFC conference record is abysmal. They are 3-5. So the problem is that in a hypothetical world where they finish with the same record as the teams you mentioned, they lose most tie breakers.

Not only do the Bills likely need to go 5-2 down the stretch (which is no small feat), it would also really help if they won all of their remaining AFC games, specifically.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo Dude said:

You may be right. Either way Mahomes, Hurts, Prescott, Herbert, Tua are all top tier QBs and we’ve got to beat at least 3 of them. 

The Packers just beat Herbert, the Broncos beat Mahomes, and we torched Tua.

12 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Browns - DTR

Steelers - Pickett

Bengals - Browning

Colts - Minshew

Go Bills!

Yes, the QB situation for these teams is not great.  BUT they ALL hold tie-breakers over the Bills, and half of them have better/equal records.  

There are basically 9 teams somewhat in the hunt, besides us.  This is what we need to happen:

- Browns lose 5/7 

- Steelers, Texans lose 4/7

- Colts, Broncos, Bengals lose 3/7

- Raiders lose 2/6

- Chargers, Jets lose 2/8

If less than 7 of these 9 scenarios happens... then the Bills will need a record of 11-6 to make the playoffs.

No more than one loss.

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

Some contenders suffered some worse luck than us.  I ain’t sad about it.  Just keep the bad kick away from us and win some games. 

We can make a run.  Next week will tell us how serious of a team we are

Agreed. Every time someone complains about the Bills’ injuries I ask them if they’d rather be dealing with what the Browns, Jets, Bengals or Colts are. That’s 1/4 of the AFC without their starting QB.

• Like (+1) 1

winning the division outright seems the only way.    Phins have 

Jets 2x twice (no qb)

Commanders (rookie qb)

Titans (really rookie qb)

Cowboys

Ravens

Bills

If Bills go 3-2 and Phins  go 3-3 , then it all comes down to week 18 in Miami.   They need to lose one lousy game between the Jets, Titans or Ravens.

This seems the only path, unless Bills run the table (which they won't) 

It’s scary to think what Cleveland and Pittsburgh would be if they had better than bottom 5 qb play. 

we have been deliver an absolute gifts with this crop of afc qbs. And the best one, Mahomes, might have the worst weapons. 

2 hours ago, boater said:

I love this bipolar place.

After loss, it's all knives and pitchforks.

After a win, it's land of milk and honey optimism.

It's been a pleasure to read today. Last week was rough.

You’re saying people are more happy when their team wins than when their team loses? I think you should get a major university to sponsor a study on this phenomenon scientist. 

"Beating the teams you should beat" has really been a nemesis for the Bills in recent years.  Usually, we have one loss on the schedule that is a head-scratcher; this year, we've got a few.

We put ourselves in this position, and now we just have to fight our way out.  Outside of division leaders, I feel like we're significantly better than all of the teams we have to surpass - especially the teams who would get the WC if the season ended today.  

What a weird season.  All we can do is hope.  It's been awhile since I had a Sunday like yesterday, where I was watching at least 4-5 of the games w/ keen interest.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Riverboat Ritchie said:

Hurts

Mahones

Prescott

Herbert

Mac maybe

Tua

Not against KC. 24 ought to do it. They’re pedestrian this year. 

I’m of the opinion we get in.

NYT Playoff Machine Odds:

8-9, 0% W PHI, DAL / 2-4

8-9, <1% W KC, MIA / 2-4 

9-8, 2% L PHI, DAL, MIA / 3-3

9-8, 2% L PHI, KC, MIA / 3-3 

9-8, 3% L KC, DAL, MIA / 3-3 

9-8, 4% L PHI, KC, MIA / 3-3 

9-8, 6% L PHI, DAL, MIA / 3-3 

10-7, 44% L KC, MIA / 4-2

10-7, 57% L PHI, KC / 4-2 

10-7, 69% L PHI, DAL / 4-2 

11-6, 96% L MIA / 5-1

11-6, 97% L DAL / 5-1 

11-6, 97% L KC / 5-1 

11-6, 98% L PHI / 5-1 

12-5, 100% / 6-0

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.