Lost in the craziness: Dorian Williams

QB Bills

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It worked on 1 play, we still lost the game. Against McCorkle.

I dont want to hear about the Frazier days. It's far more than "a couple". We went from one extreme to the other. It's almost like McD is maliciously complying with the Frazier criticism and saying "oh you want to see some blitzes? Fine, I'll blitz every play!"

Von isnt, but Floyd/Oliver/Rousseau/Epenesa all are. Put Joseph as the cornerstone in the middle and lets roll.

Coach needs to figure it out before it's too late (spoiler alert: it's too late)

Do you mean the middle stone?

14 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It worked on 1 play, we still lost the game. Against McCorkle.

I dont want to hear about the Frazier days. It's far more than "a couple". We went from one extreme to the other. It's almost like McD is maliciously complying with the Frazier criticism and saying "oh you want to see some blitzes? Fine, I'll blitz every play!"

Von isnt, but Floyd/Oliver/Rousseau/Epenesa all are. Put Joseph as the cornerstone in the middle and lets roll.

Coach needs to figure it out before it's too late (spoiler alert: it's too late)

They are allowing near league average in points. While almost never playing with a lead. With an offense that is 5th in turnovers. 

In fact, this year (including the healthy start to this defense) the defense is still ranked higher than the offense on a scoring basis.

that’s criminal with a healthy O and paying Stef and Josh half a billion. 

I thought when the defense got banged up that this team would need to win some shootouts. We haven’t been able to even participate in a shootout this season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

Is it just me or does this guy look like the Bills found something here? He plays with intensity and hits harder than any linebacker the Bills have had since maybe Nigel Bradham (outside of Milano, of course). Might have taken a bad angle on a run or two on Monday but he is young so not totally unexpected. Would like to see more of him and less Dodson (preferably not at all) paired with Bernard.

Maybe he shouldn't be fired.  On the fence.  

Is it just me or does this guy look like the Bills found something here? He plays with intensity and hits harder than any linebacker the Bills have had since maybe Nigel Bradham (outside of Milano, of course). Might have taken a bad angle on a run or two on Monday but he is young so not totally unexpected. Would like to see more of him and less Dodson (preferably not at all) paired with Bernard.

He's been mostly terrible, but he plays fast and hits hard, so at a glance it looks like he's doing good things. There's a reason he keeps losing snaps to Dodson.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

I actually thought he looked a bit lost out there last game.

He definitely plays fast and I love his potential.

But it seemed to me like he was out of position on a lot of those dump offs to the backs.

Hard to say without seeing the all 22 though 

to be fair, he was supposed to be the spy on Wilson. Wilson had been in some tough spots with those dumb back handed flips at the last second. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

See a guy who can start in the league but can still be upgraded. Not half bad for a rookie but I wouldn’t hang my hat on him just yet. 

You cannot make any determination on him in a rookie season you just can’t

4 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

to be fair, he was supposed to be the spy on Wilson. Wilson had been in some tough spots with those dumb back handed flips at the last second. 

Excellent job thought he did an excellent job spying on Wilson the whole game, except for a couple of plays

The whole defense played well

• Agree 2

He's young and is making his share of rookie mistakes.  However, we had low expectations of Bernard after his rookie season and now he's one of our best players.  So...give Dorian time and I'll expect the same.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I was pleased with him and absolutely love the way Bernard is playing.  The LB's might not be in as bad as shape as we thought.  If we could just make the stops when we really needed them we'd be 7-3 and conversations would be so different. Broncs and NE games were just complete trash!

Or 8-2'

• Like (+1) 1

I think he is a youngster with an intriguing skill set and plenty of upside.  He's not really ready to be a starter.  Think Terrel Bernard last year.  People were thinking he was a wasted pick.  This year, he's starting and playing well.  We can't be sure Williams will develop in the same way, but I always tend to err on the side of optimism.

46 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You cannot make any determination on him in a rookie season you just can’t

Excellent job thought he did an excellent job spying on Wilson the whole game, except for a couple of plays

The whole defense played well

I can. I did. He plays better than a decent amount of guys out there but could be upgraded… for right now. 

That isn’t me making an absolute that he is garbage or an all star. That is exactly what he’s shown, sporty play for a rookie. Some good, some bad. 

Edited by BBFL

2 hours ago, QB Bills said:

On those two dumpoffs by Wilson, I believe his job was to spy. In both cases, he had no opportunity to make a play as Wilson snuck out of the pocket and the rb was uncovered. If he covered the rb, Wilson runs and fans are saying he sucks because he can't spy. If he chases Wilson, which he ended up doing, we get this side of the coin.

Other than taking a bad angle on one or two runs, I don't think he made any other glaring errors. 

And your very keen observations beg the question why the heck isn’t the Bills offense constructed to take advantage of Allen’s threat to run? Why aren’t WE likewise putting defenders in the position to have to make a choice? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, goldenboy81 said:

He kinda looks like Bernard did last yr when he seen the field. Hopefully year 2 treats him the same

I think Dorian is playing much faster than Bernard did as a rookie. Rookie Bernard looked slow, like he was processing everything before reacting. He's a totally different player now, that's why it was such a surprise when he became an overnight sensation.

Dorian is making mistakes, but he plays fast, hopefully a sign of a very bright future.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Same thing we said about Mac Jones, wasnt it?

How's this working out? Blitzing when you physically cant get home does nothing but give the QB an easy read and wide open WR.

I think we need a new defensive coordinator too. Someone who knows how to avoid the big play. Someone like … Leslie Frazier. I hear he’s available!

Been pretty vocal about him. Really like his game. Considering he’s only had a few starts, and the majority of those have been sharing time, he has shown some nice upside. Like any rookie, he’s not going to be perfect out of the box. He needs Reps and coaching. Those saying he’s not good enough maybe should give him a second to grow. He’s fast and hits hard as hell. If he’s coached up and the game starts to slow down for him, he’ll be a good one. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.