Joe Brady - What Do We Expect?

Jukester

16 hours ago, Jukester said:

Maybe just maybe, he can look at Josh's strengths and get back to those. 

- Play action from under center

- Designed rollouts and QB keepers

- Stop making him overthink things and be a dinker

- Maybe take a shot downfield once in a while

What everyone has been begging for but somehow escaped Dorsey. 

add in running the ball

add in adjusting to the game in real time 

• Like (+1) 1

More of the same. Josh Allen has been playing terrible. And we’re hiring the guy who has been directly coaching him to run the offense now.

Maybe we catch an opponent off guard in the first week or two with new situational decision making that wasn’t on tape before. Kind of like the raiders have since firing McDaniels. But as far as him being the answer and everything being great going forward. No. He was fired by the panthers for a reason. 

I lack faith in him because the only time one of his offenses has ever looked great was when his college team had Burrow, Jefferson, Chase, Terrence Marshall, Thaddeus Moss, and Clyde Edwards Helaire. What coach wouldn’t look amazing with that group. I mean shoot they even made coach O look like he knew what he was doing for a while.

I just think his entire repuataion comes from that stacked team and he’s done nothing to inspire any confidence before or since then. Hope I’m wrong. 

I expect him to meet with his team and basically ask them WTF?

he needs them to own a large part of things over the last half of the season so their commitment is critical. 

expect more Diggs,  more Kincaid, more play action and more “involvement”.  

wouldn’t be shocked to see him on the sidelines during games now.  I believe Dorsey prevented that.  

I'd like to see Brady put players in positions to use their attributes. I want to see Harty run some short crossers/flares in order to use his RAC ability. Cook on some wheel routes/some throwback screens. Diggs lined up everywhere. Create mismatches. No more sideline routes to Gabe Davis EVER!! Run him down the middle of the field deep. See some "Playoff Lenny"

9 hours ago, Figster said:

I'm hoping he gets Sherfield, Harty and Shakir more involved. Bring back what made the offense successful. Yes, we need a decent running game, but the Bills offenses succeeded as a pass-happy offense. Just fix what Dorsey broke.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Josh Allen to be able to throw to the open receiver and for the turnovers to magically disappear with Joe Brady as OC. Allen and Dorsey did not get along, so Allen was sabotaging games until Dorsey got fired.

Where is this narrative that Allen can't find open receivers/read a defense/go through progressions coming from?  The graph below, from last week, shows that despite being in an offense that is well below average at getting receivers open, Allen is way above average at finding an open receiver and throwing to them. This fits with the narrative I've heard from nearly every analyst I've listened to this season that say that the Bills offense relied on Josh Allen being elite and near-perfect to make up for an overly complex yet unimaginative and undynamic offensive system and play calling.

The graph passes the smell test without a doubt. Brock Perdy is succeeding despite lack of physical gifts because he is throwing to wide open receivers and he is good at finding them. Brian Daboll is still good at scheming receivers open but Daniel Jones is straight up terrible at finding them. Patrick Mahomes has mediocre receivers who can't get separation, but like Allen he is way above average at still finding an open receiver. Despite that, there is no doubt that the KC offense has taken a huge step back just like Buffalo's.

Analysts have pretty consistently critiqued Dorsey's offense because it was exceptionally reliant on option routes across the field. The theoretical advantage of this reliance is that the Bills could respond to any defense at any time, there is no such thing as a perfect defensive call against them. However, the practical outcome is the Bills are incredibly predictable on offense. Once defenses learned the Bills' "rules" for option routes/audibles/RPOs, the defenses could constantly dictate the Bills offensive decision making and force them into outcomes where the so-called "best reads" are mediocre. The 4th and 1 play from Monday night is a great example. Based on what the defense did pre- and post-snap, the correct read was to throw it to Dalton Kincaid out in the right flat. But Kincaid was several yards behind the line of scrimmage with a linebacker and safety closing the gap. If the correct read on a 4th and 1 play is to throw to your tight end behind the line of scrimmage and hope he can break a tackle, you weren't in the right play to start with. Maybe on 3rd and 1 Allen would've taken that option and hoped to live another day but on 4th and 1 Allen clearly decides that extending the play and hoping for something "high variance" is the better option. Both the stats and the eye-test show that Allen is incredible in scenarios where he has to extend the play in this manner, so it was probably the right decision in this case but it is easy to criticize when it doesn't work out.

Most of the Bills best and worst offensive plays this year are from Allen refusing to take the so-called "correct read" because they are mediocre and instead trying to force something or extend the plays until a receiver is more open or further down field. I guarantee his interception rate goes down if the OC puts him in positions where the best options aren't consistently mediocre. 

I beg some of you guys who are so opinionated on Allen's play or Dorsey to watch some of the analysts on Youtube. There are many and they are pretty consistent with their messaging about the Bills 'offensive system.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We've heard other analysts criticize the Bills offensive scheme and play calling.  But Orlovsky might be the harshest critic: “the Bills are the easiest team in the NFL right now to prepare for… the play-calling has been wildly predictable…  the Bills offense is schematically broken.” 

Well, it's too late in the season to fix the entire scheme.  But Brady can fix the play-calling.  And he can tweak the scheme.    

Will he?  It's hard to know.  Brady was Matt Rhule's OC at Carolina.  We don't know how much of the offense was his and how much was Rhule's.  In any case, Brady was pretty young when he had the gig.  He may have learned and grown a lot since then.  

I remember when ALynn took over GoRo's offense here in Buffalo after Roman was fired (after the 2nd game in 2016).  During his 13 games as OC with Tyrod as QB, Lynn averaged 27 points per game.  Considering the circumstances, including the QB, that's impressive.   For comparison, Dorsey is only averaging 26.2 points per game with Josh Allen.  Midseason OC changes do sometimes work.  

I'm hoping!

8 hours ago, Wraith said:

Where is this narrative that Allen can't find open receivers/read a defense/go through progressions coming from?  The graph below, from last week, shows that despite being in an offense that is well below average at getting receivers open, Allen is way above average at finding an open receiver and throwing to them. This fits with the narrative I've heard from nearly every analyst I've listened to this season that say that the Bills offense relied on Josh Allen being elite and near-perfect to make up for an overly complex yet unimaginative and undynamic offensive system and play calling.

The graph passes the smell test without a doubt. Brock Perdy is succeeding despite lack of physical gifts because he is throwing to wide open receivers and he is good at finding them. Brian Daboll is still good at scheming receivers open but Daniel Jones is straight up terrible at finding them. Patrick Mahomes has mediocre receivers who can't get separation, but like Allen he is way above average at still finding an open receiver. Despite that, there is no doubt that the KC offense has taken a huge step back just like Buffalo's.

Analysts have pretty consistently critiqued Dorsey's offense because it was exceptionally reliant on option routes across the field. The theoretical advantage of this reliance is that the Bills could respond to any defense at any time, there is no such thing as a perfect defensive call against them. However, the practical outcome is the Bills are incredibly predictable on offense. Once defenses learned the Bills' "rules" for option routes/audibles/RPOs, the defenses could constantly dictate the Bills offensive decision making and force them into outcomes where the so-called "best reads" are mediocre. The 4th and 1 play from Monday night is a great example. Based on what the defense did pre- and post-snap, the correct read was to throw it to Dalton Kincaid out in the right flat. But Kincaid was several yards behind the line of scrimmage with a linebacker and safety closing the gap. If the correct read on a 4th and 1 play is to throw to your tight end behind the line of scrimmage and hope he can break a tackle, you weren't in the right play to start with. Maybe on 3rd and 1 Allen would've taken that option and hoped to live another day but on 4th and 1 Allen clearly decides that extending the play and hoping for something "high variance" is the better option. Both the stats and the eye-test show that Allen is incredible in scenarios where he has to extend the play in this manner, so it was probably the right decision in this case but it is easy to criticize when it doesn't work out.

Most of the Bills best and worst offensive plays this year are from Allen refusing to take the so-called "correct read" because they are mediocre and instead trying to force something or extend the plays until a receiver is more open or further down field. I guarantee his interception rate goes down if the OC puts him in positions where the best options aren't consistently mediocre. 

I beg some of you guys who are so opinionated on Allen's play or Dorsey to watch some of the analysts on Youtube. There are many and they are pretty consistent with their messaging about the Bills 'offensive system.

It's interesting to me that Sean Payton is supposed to be a passing game genius, yet his receivers have poor separation.  Yeah, I get the quality of the receivers matters.  But you'd think a guy like Payton could scheme guys open.  He's even worse at scheming guys open than Dorsey who is also poor at it.  

14 hours ago, Billiam93 said:

More of the same. Josh Allen has been playing terrible. And we’re hiring the guy who has been directly coaching him to run the offense now.

Maybe we catch an opponent off guard in the first week or two with new situational decision making that wasn’t on tape before. Kind of like the raiders have since firing McDaniels. But as far as him being the answer and everything being great going forward. No. He was fired by the panthers for a reason. 

I lack faith in him because the only time one of his offenses has ever looked great was when his college team had Burrow, Jefferson, Chase, Terrence Marshall, Thaddeus Moss, and Clyde Edwards Helaire. What coach wouldn’t look amazing with that group. I mean shoot they even made coach O look like he knew what he was doing for a while.

I just think his entire repuataion comes from that stacked team and he’s done nothing to inspire any confidence before or since then. Hope I’m wrong. 

I think in the Heirachy the QB coach reports to the OC.   If this is the case (as I suspect but do not know-confirm with Dunkirk Don for that) then that explains the difference between the Dorsey era and Daboll era.  

If I had this opportunity I would make sure to separate myself from Dorsey’s obvious failures and get as granular as possible with my Franchise QB -whom

is obviously very emotional and “immature” in many respects.  

3 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

Do you think Brady will have Kincaid run deeper routes who knows maybe a stretch the defense seem route to occupy a safety and open thing up for others. 

I’m tired of seeing Kincaid run 90% of his routes 4 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Everyone one needs to run deeper routes to push the defenders down the field and if they aren't open throw to the backs or Allen takes off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:27 PM, gjv said:

I'm hoping Brady can improve the fundamentals of our skilled players. 

ya and get creative, let Josh audible as much as he wants , Dan Orlovsky had a great video on the 4th and short play how dysfunctional the fundamentals were on O. How we just put a man in motion for no reason for example and it was clear they were in zone and we ran an awful play vs zone where Josh either didn't recognize or wasn't able to audible

6 hours ago, iccrewman112 said:

Do you think Brady will have Kincaid run deeper routes who knows maybe a stretch the defense seem route to occupy a safety and open thing up for others. 

I’m tired of seeing Kincaid run 90% of his routes 4 yards from the line of scrimmage.

But I was told that he is running all routes (even though he longest catch is 22 yards - both his touchdowns). 

Next longest is 15 yards. 

I expect Brady to not get in a rut with play calling, and not call the same favorite plays over and over out of the same formations, basically letting the defense know what you're doing.  And not call the same 2 or 3 runs throughout a game.  And mix the runs in with the passes in an intelligent way instead of neglecting the run for a while and then running a bunch of times.  And asking Allen to get the ball out quickly and not overstressing the OL.  

Brady can't change the playbook but he can do a lot.  

Watched Joe Brady's press conference. He is a hell of a lot more articulate than Dorsey.

I couldn't believe how INARTICULATE Dorsey was! Stammering, stuttering, evading, incoherent guy when speaking. Either he wasn't aware, or he did not care about his poor public speaking. It seems a JOKE now that he was being considered for head-coaching gigs last year. How can a guy like that, who can barely speak, barely answer a question, be the face of a franchise?

Not to mention, if he can't communicate in a down-to-earth way to the press, how well is he going to communicate with his players? I know it does not directly correlate, but it's a reasonable question to ask. Communication skills are communication skills. Dorsey, judging by his press conferences, had PATHETIC communication skills 

"Yeah, no, yeah, no, yeah no, no yeah,"  over and over again. What a weird verbal tic. Why speak that way when performing public speaking engagements? It's part of your job (even if it's not the most important one." You should still try to get better at it.

Brady at least speaks confidently and commandingly. It may not translate into results. But at least you can listen to him speak without cringing. 

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.