Gabe open all day- Dorsey playing Madden

NakedSquid

So as I've said during all the Gabe hate, he keeps getting open it's Dorsey (and Allen) not going to him. Read the analysis... 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/11/8/23951740/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-wr-gabe-davis-vs-the-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-week-9-snf

Dorsey calls plays like he's playing Madden.  Rather than having play groupings that look the same and lure defense into mistakes he just calls the plays that they like and expects the Allen Show to win out.  Plays designed for 1 (maybe) 2 guys.  Half field reads ... I know this is an effort to get Allen throwing quicker and maybe these losses are the growing pains of making Allen a complete QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Play # 5 he is def not open. Play # 6 Allen makes the right read to Kincaid who just happens to fumble. The INT is debatable that if he leads it out there the safety doesn't get over the top. So really only 3 of these plays including the curl was he wide ass open. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It very well could be Allen’s lack of trust in Davis. 

I agree, but I don't think it has to do with Davis making the catch or drops or anything.

There have been quite a few times this year where it's clear they aren't seeing the defense the same way. This has resulted in an INT earlier in the year, a few bad looking incompletions and most recently, that horse 💩 "intentional grounding" call last week. 

Davis seems to be cutting a lot of his routes short when Allen is expecting him to keep going. There is no reason they should not be on the same page at this point IMO.

22 minutes ago, NakedSquid said:

So as I've said during all the Gabe hate, he keeps getting open it's Dorsey (and Allen) not going to him. Read the analysis... 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/11/8/23951740/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-wr-gabe-davis-vs-the-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-week-9-snf

Dorsey calls plays like he's playing Madden.  Rather than having play groupings that look the same and lure defense into mistakes he just calls the plays that they like and expects the Allen Show to win out.  Plays designed for 1 (maybe) 2 guys.  Half field reads ... I know this is an effort to get Allen throwing quicker and maybe these losses are the growing pains of making Allen a complete QB.

Yeah “open all day” and yet…

IMG_6710.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 6

At this point we should be thankful that Beane didn't give Davis a ridiculous extension yet but obviously not really possible given the pending salary cap nightmare this team is facing next year.

But at the same time I won't be surprised when he leaves Buffalo in the offseason and explodes with a new team next year, probably with Andy Reid and Mahomes in KC knowing this teams luck.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NakedSquid said:

Well, if they watch as much film as they say they do then all the coaches will notice this and get Gabe the ball deep. 

• Agree 1

If only play 5 had gone to Diggs on the crosser 😭 Allen has a pocket too, if he just sits in there, stays patient, and hits the open man, it’s an easy first down and more. It’s either one of these things:

a) Allen is not receptive to coaching and isn’t putting in the proper preparation.

b) Allen is receptive to coaching, but is being taught incorrectly.

c) Allen is receptive to coaching and is being taught well.

For all the hand wringing about Dorsey, we’ve seen there are players open down after down, more often than not. Maybe not wide open, as you’d get with busted coverage or someone with elite physical traits, but definitely NFL open. For whatever reason these open players are not being targeted consistently.

I do advocate moving on from Dorsey (and by extension this coaching staff), not because I think he’s a terrible coordinator, but because the results aren’t improving. To me, that speaks to either a) or b) above. In the case of a), we’re doomed. If it’s b), easy fix, get another teacher in here. If it’s c), then we’re also doomed because it’d mean that Allen isn’t good enough between the ears to win a championship. Let’s hope for all our sakes it’s b).

• Like (+1) 2

My general take on Davis: Due to his inability to uncover quickly (lack of lateral agility) he is usually a later option in the QB’s progressions. Therefore the ball is usually out before the QB gets to him and it doesn’t matter how open he is. I’m sure this isn’t news to defensive players or coordinators. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I wouldn’t target Davis if I was Allen either. Most of his picks the past 2 seasons have been targeting Davis. He has the worst catch rate on the team.

no that's Knox.  But tell us more!!

Maybe you meant he has the highest YPC, or the 2nd highest # TDs, 1st downs and yards?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree, but I don't think it has to do with Davis making the catch or drops or anything.

There have been quite a few times this year where it's clear they aren't seeing the defense the same way. This has resulted in an INT earlier in the year, a few bad looking incompletions and most recently, that horse 💩 "intentional grounding" call last week. 

Davis seems to be cutting a lot of his routes short when Allen is expecting him to keep going. There is no reason they should not be on the same page at this point IMO.

I mean... the grounding one was the right play by gabe (assuming he has the freedom to do that).  They're giving you that 10-12 yard completion in the 2 minute drill.  

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no that's Knox.  But tell us more!!

Maybe you meant he has the highest YPC, or the 2nd highest # TDs, 1st downs and yards?

Knox targeting stats this year are BADDDDDDD.  Leads the team in (recorded) drops with 4.  How many additional ones did he almost have that he didn't catch that weren't drops.  

And the worst part is we absolutely need him because without him the run game is doody.  

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.