Gabe open all day- Dorsey playing Madden

NakedSquid

17 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

That has to be it.  It can’t possibly be that Allen made a mistake.

You hardly see Diggs and Allen not on the same page but for Davis and Allen it’s the opposite. I think that’s why it’s hard to say it’s Allen’s fault. If this was happening with a lot with all the WRs you could start pointing fingers at Allen as well, but it really doesn’t, it’s mostly just with Gabe. 

11 minutes ago, BananaB said:

You hardly see Diggs and Allen not on the same page but for Davis and Allen it’s the opposite. I think that’s why it’s hard to say it’s Allen’s fault. If this was happening with a lot with all the WRs you could start pointing fingers at Allen as well, but it really doesn’t, it’s mostly just with Gabe. 

Now do Knox

Then do Dorsey

Then McDermott

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

What you really notice from the end zone replay is that Josh was definitely NOT throwing the ball away. Even after letting it go he continued to look downfield expecting that Gabe would be there. Absolutely horrible call. 

It’s a horrible situation but technically the correct call. 

• Disagree 1

19 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

If only play 5 had gone to Diggs on the crosser 😭 Allen has a pocket too, if he just sits in there, stays patient, and hits the open man, it’s an easy first down and more. It’s either one of these things:

a) Allen is not receptive to coaching and isn’t putting in the proper preparation.

b) Allen is receptive to coaching, but is being taught incorrectly.

c) Allen is receptive to coaching and is being taught well.

For all the hand wringing about Dorsey, we’ve seen there are players open down after down, more often than not. Maybe not wide open, as you’d get with busted coverage or someone with elite physical traits, but definitely NFL open. For whatever reason these open players are not being targeted consistently.

I do advocate moving on from Dorsey (and by extension this coaching staff), not because I think he’s a terrible coordinator, but because the results aren’t improving. To me, that speaks to either a) or b) above. In the case of a), we’re doomed. If it’s b), easy fix, get another teacher in here. If it’s c), then we’re also doomed because it’d mean that Allen isn’t good enough between the ears to win a championship. Let’s hope for all our sakes it’s b).

Two years ago he was a one man playoff offense don’t think another team like the 49ers wouldn’t salivate at the thought of giving Josh Allen… Christian Mccaffery and Debo Damuel and George Kittle and that oline to go with their defense. You and I could coach that team to a Super Bowl. This is all on the coaching staff.

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

22 hours ago, NakedSquid said:

So as I've said during all the Gabe hate, he keeps getting open it's Dorsey (and Allen) not going to him. Read the analysis... 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2023/11/8/23951740/all-22-analysis-buffalo-bills-wr-gabe-davis-vs-the-cincinnati-bengals-nfl-week-9-snf

Dorsey calls plays like he's playing Madden.  Rather than having play groupings that look the same and lure defense into mistakes he just calls the plays that they like and expects the Allen Show to win out.  Plays designed for 1 (maybe) 2 guys.  Half field reads ... I know this is an effort to get Allen throwing quicker and maybe these losses are the growing pains of making Allen a complete QB.

I just watched a thing on Rumblings that showed the Gabe was open in the Bengals game a lot but Josh was a bit impatient & decided to go elsewhere prior to Gabes route getting open . I'm thinking Josh is partly to blame he is either to early at times or to late to see a route that was or is open .

He doesn't have much time to make a decision & i get it but there is one thing that i don't get !! The week before they used Gabe under neath on A LOT of passes & last week Gabe was pretty much used again as a out side WR . Why does Dorsey abandon something that works so good so soon ?

If you fond something that works use it until they figure it out then move on . There have been times in games past & present that the run game seemed to work - they go away from it - there was the game Gabe was used under neath against Tampa - Dorsey doesn't use it th following week ????? 

I remember those like Payton Manning say there use to be a very short amount of plays he used as a QB that just worked & they kept using them all the time because it worked but the Bills don't I think the play book may be way to big & they concentrate on stuff that might work but doesn't & don't use what does .

If it works don't try to make it better as they say JUST DO IT !! 

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

All I got out of this is Beane has failed Josh Allen by not replacing Beasley and Brown 🤷🏽‍♂️

The lack of investment in WR since Allen has stalled this team out. 

Any coincidence that the Bills finally take a first round pass catcher and it takes him 6 games before he passes Gabe Davis (in his 4th year now) to be the #2 option in this offense? 

• Agree 1

A couple of those "open" plays are with a safety over the top, I mean if you have safety help you play a trail, which is evident on the INT.  You don't need to be stride for stride with the WR if you have the safety over the top.  You generally don't want Allen throwing with safety help over the top and I wouldn't classify those throws as open, DB is playing a different technique.  Anyway, I'm sure Gabe is often open on plays, but unfortunately he's not getting the rock.

Edited by bouds

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The lack of investment in WR since Allen has stalled this team out. 

Any coincidence that the Bills finally take a first round pass catcher and it takes him 6 games before he passes Gabe Davis (in his 4th year now) to be the #2 option in this offense? 

For some strange reason McBean decided to put all their eggs in the Gabe Davis basket and all he’s done is reward them with 5 games where he’s failed to to catch more than 3 receptions and 35 yards. 

1 minute ago, streetkings01 said:

For some strange reason McBean decided to put all their eggs in the Gabe Davis basket and all he’s done is reward them with 5 games where he’s failed to to catch more than 3 receptions and 35 yards. 

Football didn't exist before Gabe Davis' blocking. 

And apparently now he is a great decoy. 

🤷‍♂️

In all seriousness, we've seen Gabe Davis be able to create separation sometimes, he's not always blanketed. But he doesn't uncover quickly, so most times Allen has gone elsewhere with the ball. 

18 hours ago, Gunvald's Husse said:

As someone else pointed out, if Davis is open and Josh is not throwing to him, how exactly is that he OC's fault? His job is to scheme players open - which according to you seems to have been done with Davis - not actually throw the ball (that is on Josh).

There are definitely issues with Dorsey's play calling at times. IMO, but blaming him for Josh not throwing to an open* Davis seems a little odd

*Also as pointed out up-thread, Davis was not as open on all of those plays as people are suggesting - at least before Josh got rid of the ball 

The offense if fundamentally flawed.  The prep/plan for the game, the in game adjustments, the use of personnel, the choices for plays, the use of the 'running game', the protections of the line, the scheming to get receivers open....................................................................................

If Davis was open with clear shots for Allen, and with the proper time and play calling, I have extreme confidence that Allen gets him the ball.

Almost every offensive player is not playing to their potential, and making 'mistakes', but the clear, general, over-riding reason is a monumentally flawed offense now, dysfunctional at almost every level.  The fish rots from the head.

So, see the forest through the trees, as the trees are giving some a distorted view of things.  Look at the big picture and you will find the reason for so many of the many problems on offense.  It gets worse and worse as the season progresses, regresses.

Edited by Mister Defense

14 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s a horrible situation but technically the correct call. 

Doesn’t the QB need to be under duress for intentional grounding to apply?

Edit: Yep - not the right call Allen was not under immediate pressure. You’re wrong.

FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

Edited by JoPoy88

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.