Can the Bills be Creative?

theRalph

How is it possible that the Bills or any NFL team has anything other than a CREATIVE FOOTBALL GENIUS scheming this talented offensive roster? It's kind of incredible that the Bills own YT channel has aired these truths from the mouth of Dan Orlovsky, when the press conferences are laden with cliches. 

Edited by theRalph
Readers missed the point...
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Unfortunately I'm fairly confident we won't be making an OC change this season, barring a massive failure with the Broncos, but I actually had a similar thought. I'm not fully versed in who all the up and coming hotshot coordinators are right now, but Dan should be in the conversation, assuming he's even interested in such a thing. Gotta be hard to pass up the life of a tv analyst.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just because you can break down and analyze what other people are doing doesn't mean that you can design plays of your own. Orlovsky chose the TV route. If he wanted to get into coaching, he would have had to go be a position coach somewhere a few years ago and work his way up. In any case, he's probably making NFL assistant money in a much less-stress environment. Guys don't usually go from TV back to coaching. Take Bill Cowher and Steve Mariucci for example.

• theRalph changed the title to Can the Bills be Creative?
13 minutes ago, theRalph said:

How is it possible that the Bills or any NFL team has anything other than a CREATIVE FOOTBALL GENIUS scheming this talented offensive roster? It's kind of incredible that the Bills own YT channel has aired these truths from the mouth of Dan Orlovsky, when the press conferences are laden with cliches. 

I’m not gonna lie, I have definitely thought about this a time or two as well. Out of anyone in the media, I would definitely make Orlowski my first choice to be OC.

That being said, he is clearly good at breaking down other peoples plays, but could he actually come up with his own? Would he know which plate to call in a given situation? Who knows.

Secondarily, I am of the belief that we should not try and change our OC midseason. Too risky that we would take a step back, before getting better. There is not enough time for that.

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

People keep posting this crap.  That one play has nothing to do with his analysis or the fact that more often than not he is right about Josh and this lack of offense. 

I know but it's funny.  If he wants to be an offensive coordinator then he should take a lower level coaching job and work his way up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, theRalph said:

Two things he said on this really stuck out to me:

1.  I LOVE the idea of running 4x1 - Diggs alone on one side of the field and motion the back to or just go 4 WR to the other side.  Force them to obviously leave Diggs 1 on 1 with a safety in the middle of the field - a match up I would take every time - or to double Diggs.  If they double Diggs, work the other side/run a crosser to Diggs side, etc.  That is a formation that works really well when you have a WR who is better than the other teams #1 corner.  We have that guy.

2.  Attack the two high shell with play action or by putting the LBs in conflict.  It is what opens the intermediate routes.  

Watching Detroit yesterday and then the Bills is pretty stark. 

You see more variety in their run game with under center handoffs, pitches to the edges, reverses.

In the pass game it was eye opening to see how open Saint Brown was constantly. 

Now you can explain that away by saying the Chargers defense is bad, but it wasn't too unlike what we in passing game touch distribution with Saint Brown having 100+, then it's a large drop off to Khalif Raymond and LaPorta at 45, 40 yards respectively. 

You mean like jetsweeps to our high priced 5 foot tall receiver that is supposed to be an extreme threat...then fake the jetsweep and throw the ball...or fake the jetsweep and go misdirection? I saw multiple teams do that on sunday. No we will throw 2 yard outs to Kincaid so we all can get excited that he is going to break the TE reception record with 150 catches for 783 yards. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.