McD for Daboll

SectionC3

8 hours ago, Mango said:

Not on a million billion years. 

And I’m not saying “don’t fire McD”. I’m saying under no circumstances should Daboll be the replacement. The Giants have a lot of issues, and coaching is near the very top of their list. 

Daboll is showing he is a much better OC than Head Coach and that last year was an aberration. He has been brutal far too often, including in our game.

8 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I guess people don’t watch the Giants.  They are a complete dumpster fire and Daboll looks out of his League.  If I were Terry, I’d do everything in my power to get Vrabel. He’d win a championship with Allen as his QB.  

Mike Vrabel is probably the best coach in the league.

I live in Tennessee and watch their games. He legit would win a Super Bowl here within 2 years with our talent.

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Straight up on black Monday.  Who says no? 

It’s a bit of an absurd idea, but an interesting thought exercise.  McD is stale here, but a proven commodity. Daboll is fun, creative guy and we might need that breath of fresh air. Sure, it’s a reaction to a gut punch loss.  But crazier things have happened and our staff right now ain’t it.  

It won’t happen because Beane and the Pegulas are loyal to Sean, but Dabol or someone like him would be perfect for the team plus Josh loves Dabol.

8 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

The guy has his giants team at 2-7 and is putting up pathetic performances. What are Bills fans obsession with Daboll?

Idk but some favor Dabs over a young up and coming highly intelligent OC like Johnson. I want a younger offensive minded HC in here that gets it.  I’m done with lunk heads.

Daboll wasn’t lightning it up here either. His play selection was as bad as Dorsey at times.  We need to stop thinking like dinosaurs. 

Edited by PayDaBill$

Meh, the Gints are pretty terrible.

But I'd be more than happy with Daboll for OC of a rookie HC in buffalo if nyg moves on.

But I'd still prefer an offensive guru type guy at HC to anything. But not really Daboll.

Although if it's a binary choice I'd take Daboll. We know he can get the most out of Josh and hold him accountable.

Josh is like a wild horse and he needs different guidance that the typical guy.

The "culture" here has run its course.

8 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Josh McDaniels? He's available.

Haha I almost posted this.

I don't think he's a viable HC candidate but he'd be a great OC pick for the rest of the year if we canned Dorsey now.

12 minutes ago, McBean said:

Mike Vrabel is probably the best coach in the league.

I live in Tennessee and watch their games. He legit would win a Super Bowl here within 2 years with our talent.

Vrabel is Sean McDermott with a beard.

The best HC in the league is Siriani, Shanahan, or Carroll.

Just now, Roundybout said:

Vrabel is Sean McDermott with a beard.

The best HC in the league is Siriani, Shanahan, or Carroll.

This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Do you know how many wins the dude has against top teams? Have you seen his rosters the past 6 seasons?

Not to be rude, but you don’t know the titans.

Just now, McBean said:

This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Do you know how many wins the dude has against top teams? Have you seen his rosters the past 6 seasons?

Not to be rude, but you don’t know the titans.

You mean the one with AJ Brown, Derrick Henry (two future HOFers), a loaded defense, and an above average QB in Tannehill? That one?

Or, do you want me to be impressed that he lost to the Steelers on Thursday?

8 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

Straight up on black Monday.  Who says no? 

It’s a bit of an absurd idea, but an interesting thought exercise.  McD is stale here, but a proven commodity. Daboll is fun, creative guy and we might need that breath of fresh air. Sure, it’s a reaction to a gut punch loss.  But crazier things have happened and our staff right now ain’t it.  

No.  Daboll is the guy who tops out as a good coordinator but not a HC.

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

The Giants don’t have the horses.

For goodness sake they have played 4 games with Tyrod Taylor and Tommy Devito at QB.

What do you think our record would be would those two!?

What would the Giants record be with Daboll's franchise QB Danny Dimes be in those 4 games?

What more evidence does this board need to show that Daboll is not HC material.   Last year's COTY award was the worst selection ever.  He lead the team on a second half of the season freefall, yet still made the playoffs. Beat the worst D in the league with Jones playing a once in a lifetime game.  Then got destroyed the next game.  Awful since.

Just now, teef said:

i'd have a very bad feeling about making coach blood sugar a hc for this team.  i'm not sure why people are so attached to that idea, and i don't say this to protect mcd in any way.

This place hated Daboll. Thats why I laugh so hard at these takes. Some fans have no idea what they want they just want someone fired.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This place hated Daboll. Thats why I laugh so hard at these takes. Some fans have no idea what they want they just want someone fired.

yeah...i think it's just the want for change at this point.  i get it, but daboll just doesn't feel like the answer.  i think a ton of his problems in ny are self inflicted.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

yeah...i think it's just the want for change at this point.  i get it, but daboll just doesn't feel like the answer.  i think a ton of his problems in ny are self inflicted.

It's because if you're posting on this board you're football-obsessed and consume a lot of football media. The national media has a narrative that Josh Allen isn't the same without Brian Daboll. I can guarantee that Mike Florio will have a 10-minute segment on it today. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

What would the Giants record be with Daboll's franchise QB Danny Dimes be in those 4 games?

What more evidence does this board need to show that Daboll is not HC material.   Last year's COTY award was the worst selection ever.  He lead the team on a second half of the season freefall, yet still made the playoffs. Beat the worst D in the league with Jones playing a once in a lifetime game.  Then got destroyed the next game.  Awful since.

I’m not advocating for Daboll to be coach here. I’m simply advocating for truth in discussions.

1) The Giants are an extremely talent deprived team that ANY coach would have struggle to win with.

2) The Giants have played half the season with Tyrod Taylor or Tommy Devito. And the other half of the season they had Daniel Jones, who is a slightly better Mac Jones.

3) Last season he overachieved with a bad roster. There was a mid season free-fall, similar to what the Bills have most years, but they won 3 of their last 5 games including a playoff game.

I have seen little evidence of poor coaching with the Giants (the Jets game not withstanding). Much of it is simply a very poor roster. Which, Daboll not being the GM, i’m not sure that you can blame him for.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I’m not advocating for Daboll to be coach here. I’m simply advocating for truth in discussions.

1) The Giants are an extremely talent deprived team that ANY coach would have struggle to win with.

2) The Giants have played half the season with Tyrod Taylor or Tommy Devito. And the other half of the season they had Daniel Jones, who is a slightly better Mac Jones.

3) Last season he overachieved with a bad roster. There was a mid season free-fall, similar to what the Bills have most years, but they won 3 of their last 5 games including a playoff game.

I have seen little evidence of poor coaching with the Giants (the Jets game not withstanding). Much of it is simply a very poor roster. Which, Daboll not being the GM, i’m not sure that you can blame him for.

You don’t think Daboll has a huge say in who is on the roster? I do. 

Daboll blew the Jets game single handedly. They were the 2nd luckiest team in the nfl last year and beat the luckiest one in the playoffs (Giants). 

I respect Daboll for climbing up the ranks. And he did an awesome job with Allen, with is a huge credit to him. But his resume is not amazing besides that. The Colts coach is getting more out of Gardner Minshew than Daboll is out of a $45 million qb.

9 hours ago, Einstein said:

For goodness sake they have played 4 games with Tyrod Taylor and Tommy Devito at QB.

Oh wait I also forgot McDermott had a season of Tyrod Taylor. In the same stretch with Tyrod Taylor playing all 9 games (benched him in the 9th), McDermott went 5-4.  Seems better than 2-7.

Cherry on top, McDermott backed into the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor that year.

Edited by What a Tuel

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This place hated Daboll. 

I never understood why.

Here are the Bills point totals from 2021, Dabolls last year in Buffalo:

v Pit - 16

@ Mia - 35 

vs Was - 43

vs Hou - 40

@ KC - 38

@ Ten - 31

v Mia - 26

@ Jax - 6

@ NYJ - 45

v Ind - 15

@ NO - 31

@ TB - 27

v Car - 31

@ NE - 33

v Atl - 29

v NYJ - 27

v NE (Playoffs) - 47

@ KC (Playoffs) - 36

The offense scored 27 or more points 78% of the games that season (discluding the hurricane game for obvious reasons).

We have reached that mark 33% of the time this season and 58% of the time last season.

Outside of Daboll, what else changed between 2021 and 2022/2023?

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You don’t think Daboll has a huge say in who is on the roster? I do. 

Based on what? This is not a situation like Buffalo where they hired the coach (McDedmott) first and then hired the GM after, thus creating a bit of a power balance question. 

The Giants hired a GM (Shoen) and then the GM hired a coach (Daboll).

Im sure, like any coach, Daboll gave input. But I see no evidence that he made the decision to re-sign Jones. If anything, when you watch the Giants play, it’s Daboll constantly screaming at Jones. We saw that once or twice ever with him in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I never understood why.

v Pit - 16

@ Mia - 35 

vs Was - 43

vs Hou - 40

@ KC - 38

@ Ten - 31

v Mia - 26

@ Jax - 6

@ NYJ - 45

v Ind - 15

@ NO - 31

@ TB - 27

v Car - 31

@ NE - 33

v Atl - 29

v NYJ - 27

v NE (Playoffs) - 47

@ KC (Playoffs) - 36

The offense scored 27 or more points 78% of the games that season (discluding the hurricane game for obvious reasons).

We have reached that mark 33% of the time this season and 58% of the time last season.

Point totals isn’t necessarily an issue for Dorsey. At the end of the year they’ll be top 5 as usual.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Point totals isn’t necessarily an issue for Dorsey. At the end of the year they’ll be top 5 as usual.

Total points = / = Consistency.

Our 2021 offense scored 27 or more points 78% of the games that season (discluding the hurricane game for obvious reasons).

That is consistent. You know, entering games, that there is close to an 80% chance that the Bills offense will score 27 or more points. That puts a lot of pressure on opposing defenses and how they play the game.

We have reached that mark 33% of the time this season and 58% of the time last season.

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Total points = / = Consistency.

Our 2021 offense scored 27 or more points 78% of the games that season (discluding the hurricane game for obvious reasons).

That is consistent. You know, entering games, that there is close to an 80% chance that the Bills offense will score 27 or more points. That puts a lot of pressure on opposing defenses and how they play the game.

We have reached that mark 33% of the time this season and 58% of the time last season.

In 2020 the Bills offense scored 27 or more points 63% of the time.  What was wrong with Daboll?!?

In 2019 the Bills offense scored 27 or more points 17% of the time. What was wrong with Daboll?!?

Such a silly arbitrary line to draw.

Make a move to Daboll so he can come here to bring in his former Giant practice team players and use them as starters?  The guy who has a QB on his roster that CANT throw the ball?  Coach of the year to FIRED?  No thanks.

Edited by Nuncha

44 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I never understood why.

v Pit - 16

@ Mia - 35 

vs Was - 43

vs Hou - 40

@ KC - 38

@ Ten - 31

v Mia - 26

@ Jax - 6

@ NYJ - 45

v Ind - 15

@ NO - 31

@ TB - 27

v Car - 31

@ NE - 33

v Atl - 29

v NYJ - 27

v NE (Playoffs) - 47

@ KC (Playoffs) - 36

Based on what? This is not a situation like Buffalo where they hired the coach (McDedmott) first and then hired the GM after, thus creating a bit of a power balance question. 

The Giants hired a GM (Shoen) and then the GM hired a coach (Daboll).

Im sure, like any coach, Daboll gave input. But I see no evidence that he made the decision to re-sign Jones. If anything, when you watch the Giants play, it’s Daboll constantly screaming at Jones. We saw that once or twice ever with him in Buffalo.

I would bet a lot of money 💵 that an offensive head coach has a ton of say in personnel, especially the most jokers t position on the team. Like my life savings (which I was counting on the Bills to add to it by winning their division!!!).

10 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Literally saw it twice today on other games where it didnt work out....

Its like the fans dont watch the struggles of other teams and think this is just uniquely buffalo.

Kansas City with Patrick Mahomes scored 0 points in 32 minutes today. 0 points in the 2nd half against Miami's defense.

2nd half:

Punt

Fumble

Punt

Punt

End of game

and WON the game.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

We can have Daboll bad next year, after he gets fired. 

Judging by the lawsuit footnote that mentioned Daboll wanted out of Buffalo, even if it was for a lateral move, and that cold-as-ice handshake after the Giants game, I'd be shocked if we ever saw Daboll in Buffalo again.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Daboll and Beane's Dunkin Donuts coffee boy decided to pay a less than mediocre Jones for that one win over Minnesota--and they both assembled the team on the field.  They finished last 9 games 3-6.   They won 2 of their last 5 (playoffs included) and 3 of the last 10 games they played----this after a 7-2 start. 

Now you are saying can't blame Daboll because every QB he put on his roster sucks?  As CBiscuit pointed out, other HCs are doing ok with worse.

Daboll was a figment of Josh Allen.  Nothing more. 

3 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I never said that I thought trying to swap out McD for Daboll is a good idea.  But it arguably has more merit than bringing in an unknown like Ben Johnson because Daboll is a little bit more of a known quantity, both in terms of his prior dealings here and his performance with the Giants (good and bad).  Johnson, of course, has done some nice things with Goff.  But Daboll did nice things with Allen. So who is to say that Johnson won't befall the same fate as Daboll as a HC?

I'm clearly not advocating for Ben Johnson, I'm questioning the logic of his HC candidacy. I also don't think Daboll makes sense so I don't know if I'm the person you meant to respond to.

37 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Did Daboll became GM and no one reported it?

come on.  you think it was all "Joe Schoen"?

These arguments that HCs don't have a huge say in assembling their rosters are always dumb---but especially in this case.  Schoen is a nobody.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Einstein said:

Exactly, by and large, that team is built of street FA and practice squad players.  They have a couple of really good players and about 45 that are below average. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.