Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

14 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Speaking of the Bengals being #######s.

13 hours ago, Franco_92 said:

I forgot how much these clowns like to yap. God dammit can we please beat them

Bro, I could be wrong, but the person that tweeted this is a Bills fan. Even on his handle, it says diehard bills fan.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Agree 1

Just now, BillsFan619 said:

Bro, I could be wrong, but the person that tweeted this is a Bills fan. Even on his handle, it says diehard bills fan.

it was probably a tweet for support of Damar.

Go Bills!

I'm talking about how they fabricate narratives to get themselves pumped up, and feel the need to tell the media all about those narratives

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Hendrickson put some dirty plays on film last season, for sure. Gets my nostrils flaring a bit

Yeah, when he went down with a foot injury last weekend I don't recall feeling too bad about it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm sorry but we can not call it home field advantage if we can't game plan for the elements in our own house. (This comment is not directed at you, just piggy backing in what your saying)

This team is really not built for playing in the snow in January. Weather hasn’t been any advantage at all for the Bills in decades. The game plans on both sides of the ball for the playoff game vs CIN were awful given the conditions . The Bills seemed like they’d never seen snow. 

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't know tbh but an NFL team averages 11.998 or almost exactly 12 drives/game so if you can assume an equal distribution of drives between first half and second half (dubious proposition imo) deferring would tend to leave you with the ball on offense at the end of the first half and the other team having the ball on offense at the end of the second half

One main point of deferring is to possibly get “ free”

back to back possessions - at the end of the first half and start of the 2nd. Otherwise you’d need to “ earn it” with a turnover. This way you have a chance just by winning the coin toss. Doesn’t always work out that way, but the possibility is there. 

40 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This team is really not built for playing in the snow in January. Weather hasn’t been any advantage at all for the Bills in decades. The game plans on both sides of the ball for the playoff game vs CIN were awful given the conditions . The Bills seemed like they’d never seen snow. 

One main point of deferring is to possibly get “ free”

back to back possessions - at the end of the first half and start of the 2nd. Otherwise you’d need to “ earn it” with a turnover. This way you have a chance just by winning the coin toss. Doesn’t always work out that way, but the possibility is there. 

I'm fully convinced our first super bowl win is going to be as a 6 seed during a season everyone here hates, getting 2 playoff games in Florida to tune up and get hot for @ KC  

Actually, it's sorta lining up that way right now hehe

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Bills seem to match up disproportionately poorly specifically against Cinci and Jests. Bad bills mojo.

I think largely the Bills from 2020 to 2022 were more of a finesse team. The Jets have a very tough front 7 that always gives the offense issues and the Bengals have a tough front 7 as well. This year with the additions at guard, Spencer Brown playing better and the bigger RB's the offense is better equipped to handle a "power" based attack. I also think Joseph at DT will hopefully make an impact toughening up the defensive line in the absence of Jones. 

6 hours ago, Since1981 said:

Bills seem to match up disproportionately poorly specifically against Cinci and Jests. Bad bills mojo.

Not this year imo…that jets loss was all on josh pretty much.  Oline gave him plenty of time in that one.  Cincy isn’t really that stout against the run on defense and their secondary isn’t very good.  Still will be a tough matchup down so many good players on defense though.  I think if both teams were at full strength we are the better team by a decent margin and the matchup is pretty good 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Okay as I am not a football nerd I do laugh when told that the Bills do not stack up well vs. the Bengals.  Show me me some data?  There is none because they seldom play.  Almost like they are in the NFC of late.

https://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/buffalo-bills/teamvsteam?opp=7

With Josh just coming into his own they played in 2019 and then last year.

Talk about recency bias.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Franco_92 said:

I'm fully convinced our first super bowl win is going to be as a 6 seed during a season everyone here hates, getting 2 playoff games in Florida to tune up and get hot for @ KC  

Actually, it's sorta lining up that way right now hehe

I have said the same thing to my friends, that I oddly feel better about our chances for a SB this year than I did last year. It is exceedingly rare to be a wire-to-wire contender and then ultimately win the SB.

Get in and get hot. You can find a flaw with every AFC contender right now.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/2/2023 at 6:53 AM, mannc said:

I’ve heard deferring gives you a very slight advantage from an analalytics standpoint, but it makes no sense and a lot of teams don’t do it.  In a game like this, against a great QB, on the road, it gives the other team an opportunity to get a quick two-touchdown lead (like what happened to the Bills in Cinci last year) and your entire offensive game plan just went out the window.  There might be some games where it makes sense, but not this one.

A lot of teams don't do it? I watch a lot of games and it is very rare to not see a deferral to start the game.

They didn't defer last night on TNF, and the announcers were kind of shocked by it.

The Bengals, by the way, have been deferring a lot more this year too.

On 11/1/2023 at 9:56 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Off switch as in we don’t need to voice our displeasure over and over and over and over and over again…many times about the same thing.  Its a broken record of “woe is me”.

I can handle the emotions of a football game so I will keep watching.  You after a loss sound like an Alanis Morrissette song.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with the ups and downs of a Bills game or season. You could use your own off switch to ignore those who are voicing their displeasure, right? That way you're not trying to tell others how they should feel or react to a game. 

This is a team that I have to see us beat before I think we can. 2ish games and we were just on skates. They lined up and absolutely blew us off the ball on both sides. Not saying we can’t, just I have to see it. This is the 1 team that’s done it to us. I’d really feel good if we got this one.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'd like to thank this thread and its contributors for reminding me how much I effing hate Trey Hendrickson. Not a huge Joe Mixon fan, either. Come to think of it, the Bengals and the entire city of Cincinnati can get rekt. Don't get me started on the state of Ohio in general...

To be fair they are basically in kentucky.  Right over the stupid bridge five minutes away.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

Everyone has their own way of dealing with the ups and downs of a Bills game or season. You could use your own off switch to ignore those who are voicing their displeasure, right? That way you're not trying to tell others how they should feel or react to a game. 

I'm not telling him how he should react.  But generally, when someone is very whiny and repetitive, it's not met with positive responses.  
Displeasure isn't unaccepted, but better content would be met with better responses.  

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, stevewin said:

What IS that?  Holy crap

image.png.4fec990cfcda261aeba7aa1dd6e54619.png

A giant hamstring...fun fact, the hamstring main muscles' technical name is biceps femoris, so it's basically like making an arm muscle but with your leg.

For dudes like me that have worked their ass off in the gym for many years and have decent but not great genetics(I had/have pretty big legs as well--enough to rip seams on my pants from squatting/bending down), I can only dream of what it would be like to blessed with those type of genetics and how much further I would have gotten with the amount of work I put in...it's like a verifiable cheat code in the gym.

Edited by Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not telling him how he should react.  But generally, when someone is very whiny and repetitive, it's not met with positive responses.  
Displeasure isn't unaccepted, but better content would be met with better responses.  

And you could use your off switch to control what you hear, right? Maybe that person doesn't care how you might respond. Maybe he's just venting. I say let people have their own personality. Why do you care? How does another's venting affect you? And let's be real here, you are trying to tell him how he should react. 

34 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

He's very good at that.😜

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

And you could use your off switch to control what you hear, right? Maybe that person doesn't care how you might respond. Maybe he's just venting. I say let people have their own personality. Why do you care? How does another's venting affect you? And let's be real here, you are trying to tell him how he should react. 

Royale is not telling him how to react, he is saying many of us don't want to hear it over, and over, and over again....and I agree with him.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, first_and_ten said:

With 2K posts, this isn't your first time on a message board.  

Why do you care to defend him this much?  I could turn my off switch as much as you can turn your off to me right?

Do you think this is worth continuing?  I don't and should stop derailing this thread which I have done enough.

We can absolutely win this game. But it will take a coaching  mentality to go full throttle offensively. No BS slowing the game down, protecting Josh by not running him, punting from the Cinci 45, etc. Need to be aggressive and treat it like it will be a shootout. Their defense can be had. 

My concern is our head coach and his philosophy of working against all of the above. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The Bills need to shake the bad karma of playing the Bengals.

I hope they treat this game like a playoff game.

The biggest game in the McBeane era (regular season). Even bigger than any Chief regular season game.

If the Bills lose, they will be bashed by everyone non stop (right or wrong).

Play well and win. Nobody cares how they do it, just do it.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

I love the fact the talking heads are talking about Cincy being stronger, going to win this game.

WE play much better as the underdog.

It's to the point Cincy players are still trying to use last year as motivation......it's a bad look on their part

Also tells me they may not be ready for this year's bills team 

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

The Bills need to shake the bad karma of playing the Bengals.

I hope they treat this game like a playoff game.

The biggest game in the McBeane era (regular season). Even bigger than any Chief regular season game.

If the Bills lose, they will be bashed by everyone non stop (right or wrong).

Play well and win. Nobody cares how they do it, just do it.

If the bills lose like they did in last year's playoffs, it will be the first time that people will legitimately call for McDermott and beanes jobs (key word being legitimately) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

It's to the point Cincy players are still trying to use last year as motivation......it's a bad look on their part

Also tells me they may not be ready for this year's bills team 

If the bills lose like they did in last year's playoffs, it will be the first time that people will legitimately call for McDermott and beanes jobs (key word being legitimately) 

I don't see Terry making any changes if they do miss the playoffs. It would be their first bad year in a while, so my guess is Terry gives them the 2024 season to fix things. But if that season goes south then I think you could see a new GM/HC brought in.

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

I love the fact the talking heads are talking about Cincy being stronger, going to win this game.

WE play much better as the underdog.

Nine of ten pundits at the NFL website pick the Bengals over the Bills, eight of eight pick the Bengals at the CBS NFL website, and seven of ten pick the Bengals at the ESPN site.

That's 24 of 28 total picking the Bengals.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/30/2023 at 2:03 PM, Big Turk said:

Josh Allen is elite. 

I can't see how they are measurably better when Taylor has his offense looking like they belong in D III for the first month of every season.  How about Joe Burrow not coming out in Week 1 every year and throwing for 82 yards or 4 INTs?  Every year it's the same thing...dig themselves a big hole they have to climb out of.  

Good coaches don't have teams that do that on a consistent basis. Congrats he figures out how to fix it, but how about not having the issue every year to begin with?

You dont keep up with the other teams very much do you? 

2021 Burrow was coming off a major ACL/MCL injury, he wasnt mobile the first few weeks of the season.  
2022 Burrow had major surgery and lost over 20 ponds immediately before the season started.
2023 Burrow missed all of training camp, couldnt plant - much less run, with a bad calf.  Last week was his 1st 100% healthy game.
Taylor is not a great coach but none of this is on coaching.  Kind of an embarrassing take.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.