Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

22 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think it's worth pointing out the Bengals run a west coast offense. That means Burrow gets rid of the ball quickly. Takes deep strikes when he sees obvious one on one advantages. The Bills were successful vs Tua despite his quick releases. However, it's quite different because Tua is mostly a first read QB. Burrow is able to go through his progressions and use his legs in big situations. Burrow is by far the best QB the Bills have faced. I don't see this defense stopping the Bengals O. Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about.  I said we had a punchers chance.  I didn't promise anyone a victory. 

2 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I'll be the first one to tell you I'm not always correct. I give my opinions based mostly on facts and what I think. Feel free to disagree with anything I say. 

I'm not here advocating I'm the smartest football fan or Bills backer. I've never made such a claim. Others are far more knowledge than myself. That's a major reason why I like this avenue. I'm constantly learning new things. 

With that said, I will continue to express my feelings and thoughts when it comes to the Bills. I fully realize many of my takes are in the minority because it's largely negative rather than positive. I do feel many posters here do agree to a certain extent with many of my posts. I don't seek validation.

My objective isn't to create an Us vs Them atmosphere. Sure seems like some have that agenda. Frankly, I welcome feedback of all kinds as long as it's professional and not rude. The unfounded name calling continues with regularity. No biggie. 

I'm anything but a "woe is me" person. I'm pretty humble, compassionate, and pleasant to be around. It's fair to say I'm a frustrated Bills fan. I feel the regime should be doing better. 

Just so happens I'm very passionate about the Bills. I've wanted 50 plus years for a Lombardi Trophy. Sometimes the continued failure of the Bills regime gets the best of me. This season thus far amplifies the frustration. Sure seems like the Bills are regressing. That remains to be seen.

I will continue to support my team by watching them, purchasing merchandise, praising, and criticizing then. The gambit if you will...

Feel free to block or mute me. 

Some people i.e. Royale with Cheese have a real chip on their shoulder, get very upset when McD is questioned and seem to take things way more personally then others.

I'm much like you no expert but a passionate Bills fan who is concerned that with Allen this represents a window that may close quickly and want that SB win.  

The Bills made 4 straight SB's (didn't get it done), and then once Kelly was gone went through a drought.  A little hope at the end of the century when a dynamic (not all-time great) QB came in (Flutie) and then came one of the all-time stupidest calls (Rob Johnson qb), followed by the drought.

Sorry that some here are antsy and use this forum to vent. 

2 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lol. Really? We Bills fans are usually so confident.  

By the way, I don’t really think this is an “any given Sunday” scenario for us. We are the better team, we just have to play to our capabilities.  

Exactly . This is a close, tough matchup. The old any given Sunday maxim is more fitting for bottom feeder teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

You want McDermott to tell the fans his gameplan? Flip that question on its head. Geno Smith had 326 passing yards on this defense and Brock Purdy had 365. The Bengals should have lost to the Seahawks and could have lost to the 49ers if Purdy could have stopped himself from throwing the ball right to the Bengals inside his own 20. The Bengals D let Geno Smith march down the field not once, but twice, in the 4th quarter with a 4-point lead. Both times Geno turned into a pumpkin again once in the RZ but the game was right there for the taking. We might get stomped like you think, but it's not a foregone conclusion. Games are not played on paper, and we have actual Superman at QB. I'll take our chances. 

I said the same thing.  Some people I don't think watched those games and now hail Cincy as a juggernaut.

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Exactly . This is a close, tough matchup. The old any given Sunday maxim is more fitting for bottom feeder teams. 

Like Denver (which they dominated)  over KC.  The Bills however let Mac Jones go 75 yards, which is not "Any Given Sunday"......😡😜 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But...but...Allen is a TO machine!!

PFF  .............. I mean they must have some analysis behind it but he has thrown 8 picks and he lost a fumble in the Pats game so he must have more than 3 turnovers.  I guess they don't qualify as PFF turnover-worthy plays.  I get what they are saying though ........ Allen has been better with the ball.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

PFF  .............. I mean they must have some analysis behind it but he has thrown 8 picks and he lost a fumble in the Pats game so he must have more than 3 turnovers.  I guess they don't qualify as PFF turnover-worthy plays.  I get what they are saying though ........ Allen has been better with the ball.

Allen has been a lot better with the ball while others have been a lot worse...Mahomes now has as many INTs as Allen does and Tua is only 1 behind.

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

The fumble in the Patriots game was the last play of the game when they were basically doing the lateral to everyone to try to get to the endzone, but apparently we have no actual plans for those so they just end immediately.

Just now, Warcodered said:

The fumble in the Patriots game was the last play of the game when they were basically doing the lateral to everyone to try to get to the endzone, but apparently we have no actual plans for those so they just end immediately.

I mean better than when players are out there running around for 2 minutes lateralling and running backwards and getting levelled by blockers not looking and potentially getting seriously injured when there is like a 0.005% chance the play will actually score.

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I think it's worth pointing out the Bengals run a west coast offense. That means Burrow gets rid of the ball quickly. Takes deep strikes when he sees obvious one on one advantages. The Bills were successful vs Tua despite his quick releases. However, it's quite different because Tua is mostly a first read QB. Burrow is able to go through his progressions and use his legs in big situations. Burrow is by far the best QB the Bills have faced. I don't see this defense stopping the Bengals O. Sorry.

Just saw this graphic, that utilizes PFF data, that asserts that Burrow throws to his first read at a higher rate than the NFL average and far more often than Tua. Surprising information. Makes me wonder if teams have gotten a lot better in recent weeks at taking away Tua's first read (like the Bills did) and that is why the Dolphins offense has slowed down considerably.

Oh ok. You think giving a 5 yard cushion is the answer!  Not being sarcastic but I don't understand this strategy. Do you really think the Bills secondary can be successful vs the Bengals pass catchers? I say it's unlikely. Heck, Mac Jones looked like an all pro a few of weeks ago. Tyrod marched down for the winning score. Thank you refs for the gift win. 

I get being optimistic but we also have to be realistic too. The fact remains the Bills D is very vulnerable vs a dangerous offense. 

The best path to victory is Josh Allen playing Superman with several Batmans contributing. 

People said we had no chance to slow down the Fish either.  But we did.  No question Sunday night will be a challenge but your continuing obsession with focusing on the negative is telling.

57 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Some people i.e. Royale with Cheese have a real chip on their shoulder, get very upset when McD is questioned and seem to take things way more personally then others.

I'm much like you no expert but a passionate Bills fan who is concerned that with Allen this represents a window that may close quickly and want that SB win.  

The Bills made 4 straight SB's (didn't get it done), and then once Kelly was gone went through a drought.  A little hope at the end of the century when a dynamic (not all-time great) QB came in (Flutie) and then came one of the all-time stupidest calls (Rob Johnson qb), followed by the drought.

Passionate Bills fans don’t want their team to lose if they have under 300 yards passing.

• Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

People said we had no chance to slow down the Fish either.  But we did.  No question Sunday night will be a challenge but your continuing obsession with focusing on the negative is telling.

Passionate Bills fans don’t want their team to lose if they have under 300 yards passing.

Can't help yourself, can you????  

More context as this was a comment made during the improbably McD run of 48 games with no 300 yard passing games and many games that I would categorize as "stinkers", where yes if the offense was opened up, maybe the results may have been different and too with Allen seen a quicker learning curve. 

Yes I'm a fan that loves a 38-35 slugfest (see Philly-Wash as an example), over the NYJ-NYG game last weekend.

Will you just let it go????

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

More context as this was a comment made during the improbably McD run of 48 games with no 300 yard passing games and many games that I would categorize as "stinkers", where yes if the offense was opened up, maybe the results may have been different and too with Allen seen a quicker learning curve. 

Yes I'm a fan that loves a 38-35 slugfest (see Philly-Wash as an example), over the NYJ-NYG game last weekend.

Why don't you just admit you're not a fan of the team?  No fan roots for their team to lose.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You can't stand being called out.  Why can't you just say I was wrong to root against the team I purport to be a fan of?  

Edited by oldmanfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

The Bills are a zone defense. Do you think they have the CBs for press coverage? Chase and Higgins will likely run right past the Bills slower CBs. Burrow will recognize the mismatch and take full advantage. Also, don't discount the ability of Burrow to extend plays and make big runs with his legs. I see the Bengals making first down after first down with the Bills defense having a difficult time getting off the field. Feels like the Bills won't be able to string together 3 consecutive stops. Maybe that's just my negativity. Hope im wrong. 

Meanwhile, the Bills offense is very good but still a work in progress. Josh has a injuries should and not fully practicing. Not ideal at all. The offensive consistency is a bit worrisome. Last week was encouraging but they still only scored 25 points. Can and will the

"others" step up in a big road game in a hostile environment? Always easier for younger guys in a home environment. 

Bills gave up 29 to Patriots.  Cincinnati is just a more rounded team.  Better running game, better defense than the Bills.

Whereas the Bills - Allen has to play spectacular just to have a chance to win.  On paper it seems Bills would need the offense clicking on all cylinders for the entire game to win in a high scoring outcome.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

Ok then. Nice story bra

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dakrider said:

Bills gave up 29 to Patriots.  Cincinnati is just a more rounded team.  Better running game, better defense than the Bills.

Whereas the Bills - Allen has to play spectacular just to have a chance to win.  On paper it seems Bills would need the offense clicking on all cylinders for the entire game to win in a high scoring outcome.

I think what killed us our DT outside of Oliver and then having average #2 at both corners. 

We have Phillips playing 1t and he's bad there and Settle is a disappointment.  We needed size. 

Now we have at least have a high end #2 at one corner spot.

I now expect to see some improvement.  If not, then it's going to look bleak in the second half of the season unless our offense goes nuts.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.