Interesting Stats Week 7

Mikie2times

After the carnage that is a Bills loss, the good stuff always gets blended together in the insanity. Reviewing the forum, I felt these ones stood out as things I found interesting or surprising. Thank you @HappyDays @Andy1 as two of these came from your posts. If you guys have any other post worth twitter content or interesting factoids it would be nice to get that stuff consolidated in one place. 

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

After the carnage that is a Bills loss, the good stuff always gets blended together in the insanity. Reviewing the forum, I felt these ones stood out as things I found interesting or surprising. Thank you @HappyDays @Andy1 as two of these came from your posts. If you guys have any other post worth twitter content or interesting factoids it would be nice to get that stuff consolidated in one place. 

5 of the 6 Cook runs were converted for 1st downs. The one that wasn't was a play Josh HAS to kill and get out of - the first 2nd and 2 where he goes ahead and runs a play that just runs Cook right into an overload.

I understand the predictability point that Nate is trying to make. But James Cook was executing better than anyone else on offense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh Allen, who averaged his longest time to throw in a game this season (3.26 sec), struggled when forced to hold onto the ball (10/24, 130 yards, INT over 2.5 sec).

I think it's more accurate to say "forced to run around to avoid being sacked" rather than "hold onto the ball".  Big difference.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

i keep thinking the o is falling apart, but the more i read and look into it, the more awful the d looks.  a couple early scores will help w that, but mcd has to get the guys who are healthy lined up and going the right places.

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

The eye test disagrees with the “longest time to throw” stat. I’m not saying it’s wrong but it felt like Baremore was getting into the backfield on almost every snap. Allen broke like 3-4 potential sacks with his strength on Sunday and scrambled away from pressure a lot as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

i keep thinking the o is falling apart, but the more i read and look into it, the more awful the d looks.  a couple early scores will help w that, but mcd has to get the guys who are healthy lined up and going the right places.

This! The offense is not humming, but they have shown they can score -- they do need to do so early and more often. But the D has regressed significantly since the injury bug plague hit. That is on McDermott to adjust/fix.

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

This! The offense is not humming, but they have shown they can score -- they do need to do so early and more often. But the D has regressed significantly since the injury bug plague hit. That is on McDermott to adjust/fix.

I get that he’s the HC and DC, but man is it hard to deal with the fact that 30-40% of your starting defensive lineup is either out due to injury or done for the year. If he can right that ship he’s a goddamn miracle worker.

Edited by uninja
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, uninja said:

Defensive depth is being tested and oh boy is it being exposed.

Understandable until McDermott figures out how to utilize the players he has left and put them in the best places to succeed. We have seen this before.  Usually improves quite a bit as those players get more reps as the season goes on.

Edited by Big Turk

12 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Again, some context helps, also helping would be before-after data. 

Over our first four games of the season when we "were playing lights out defense" we allowed 5.7 Yards-per-Play.

Not sure that contrasting the differences with defensive play against QBs like Howell in his first starts, Wilson, and Garropolo don't skew that at least somewhat.  If the QBs we've faced were even average much less above-average it would tell us more.  

But that first line is actually an improvement.  

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, uninja said:

I get that he’s the HC and DC, but man is it hard to deal with the fact that 30-40% of your starting defensive lineup is either out due to injury or done for the year. If he can right that ship he’s a goddamn miracle worker.

Agreed. We basically give a pass to any other coach in the league when their team gets decimated with injuries, like the Ravens for a couple of years, but when it happens to our team we expect the coach to work miracles?

What other defense could perform well without its top 4 starters, plus a handful of others from week to week?

The Bills had been really lucky with injuries for a couple of years, but this year and last has been brutal.

11 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

I am so ***** sick of these stupid analytics calling our offense elite when we have 7 or 10 points after 55 minutes in 3 straight games.

it’s garbage. These stats are not measuring the correct things. They are fake fairy dust bull#### 

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Agreed. We basically give a pass to any other coach in the league when their team gets decimated with injuries, like the Ravens for a couple of years, but when it happens to our team we expect the coach to work miracles?

Miracles?  

No, but is it beyond the realm of reasonable to expect an Allen-led offense to put up more than 2 passing TDs and 267 passing yards in 5 of 7 games and when it counts otherwise?  

Are there significant injuries on offense?  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'd say there is an issue with that metric, then. The offense has been bad and there is no way around that.

Has the defense been bad? Sure, at times, and definitely against the Patriots. But any metric that says the offense has been good is immediately flawed.

46 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Miracles?  

No, but is it beyond the realm of reasonable to expect an Allen-led offense to put up more than 2 passing TDs and 267 passing yards in 5 of 7 games and when it counts otherwise?  

Are there significant injuries on offense?  

I was responding about the defensive injuries. I know I said "team", but really I meant the defense and the impact it has on the Bills ability to win games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Think the D plays better when we are scoring quickly and often. Was the case the past few years. Opponents are pressed and rushed to try and keep up in the scoring and make more critical errors. 

Weird that the stats say Josh is excellent on quick plays or choices but struggles when holding onto the ball… that was not an issue the few seasons prior. Josh was pretty much spot on. 

Got to be a faster offense in scoring and getting ahead. This defense is only build for playing in front. Abysmal teams have moved the ball up and down the field in successive weeks. People want to add pieces to the offense but the secondary needs help badly. Different play calling on O would fix a lot of problems. 

15 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

The Bills have scored a total of 10 points in first half of the last 3 games. They scored 20, 14 and 25 in those games. Their record is 1-2 in the last 3. The offense is not fine!

Even worse - only 17 total points in the first 3 quarters. That is 17 points in 9 quarters. The other 42 have been in the 4th quarter when they are in hurry up and opposing D are giving them the short stuff trying to close out games. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

The Bills have scored a total of 10 points in first half of the last 3 games. They scored 20, 14 and 25 in those games. Their record is 1-2 in the last 3. The offense is not fine!

Nothing on this team is fine. Especially the Defense who was put in a position to win and failed badly against as weak an opponent as they'll see on offense.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Again,the issue isn't Dorsey, It's Allen 

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

2 hours ago, MJS said:

I was responding about the defensive injuries. I know I said "team", but really I meant the defense and the impact it has on the Bills ability to win games.

Gotcha!  

Still, that would be fine if the offense were running on all cylinders, which it never has under McD.  

I mean we trade-up to draft Kincaid, crow about 2-TE sets, rarely use those, rarely use Kincaid, a pass-catching prodigy, and since McD's been here, no matter who we have as WRs, for some unknownn reason we never have a bone fide #2.  

That at least makes people say "let's get an offensive person in here to see if they can get something more from an offense led by one of the top QBs in the leauge."  

Defense shouldn't be carrying this team.  And to the extent that we've expended draft resources on it, it should.  

But in the playoffs, our D typically goes on vacation.  So why does it matter.  That's where we need to shine, and the D's done anything but shine with even the slightest of consistency therein.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

PFF has Dodson as the 3rd highest rated player on D for last game.  Not sure the narrative to play DW is holding up.  Expecting this D to somehow overcome the injuries is not realistic.  No team has that type of depth.  The O has to perform. 

Dodson was good when he came in. Not surprised at that grade personally.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Gotcha!  

Still, that would be fine if the offense were running on all cylinders, which it never has under McD.  

I mean we trade-up to draft Kincaid, crow about 2-TE sets, rarely use those, rarely use Kincaid, a pass-catching prodigy, and since McD's been here, no matter who we have as WRs, for some unknownn reason we never have a bone fide #2.  

That at least makes people say "let's get an offensive person in here to see if they can get something more from an offense led by one of the top QBs in the leauge."  

Defense shouldn't be carrying this team.  And to the extent that we've expended draft resources on it, it should.  

But in the playoffs, our D typically goes on vacation.  So why does it matter.  That's where we need to shine, and the D's done anything but shine with even the slightest of consistency therein.  

Our offense has never run on all cylinders under McD?   Do you mean this season? 

You are correct about never having a true WR2.  This has to be fixed. 

43 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Our offense has never run on all cylinders under McD?   Do you mean this season? 

You are correct about never having a true WR2.  This has to be fixed. 

Yeah, sorry, I meant for an entire season and as best as it possibly could.  

15 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

5 of the 6 Cook runs were converted for 1st downs. The one that wasn't was a play Josh HAS to kill and get out of - the first 2nd and 2 where he goes ahead and runs a play that just runs Cook right into an overload.

I understand the predictability point that Nate is trying to make. But James Cook was executing better than anyone else on offense.

Nate is trying to be too smart here. What I get out of it is that if the offense is on schedule on first down, Cook is basically a cheat code. 

This is one of those things where a team says “we’ll keep calling it until you stop us”. 

We have certainly smashed our RB into a brick wall over and over again in past games. I reserve the right to criticize that too. Ha!

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Everything they seem to be good at gets set aside for "balance"

passing

11 personnel

under center

timing routes

or so it seems

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.