Poll: McDermott’s biggest mistake so far was …

GerstAusGosheim

Poll: McDermott’s biggest mistake so far was …  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think McDermott's biggest coaching error has been so far?

• Blowing :13’s
    • Giving a first time OC a chance with Josh Allen in his prime.
    • Ignoring OL and WR in favor of loading up on D
    • Underestimating what losing Daboll, Frazier and other long-term coaches like Hall etc. would do to “culture.”
    • Trading the Patrick Mahomes pick
    • Not clapping enough

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Mahomes has never played without Reid.

The point, that flew over your head, was that dopes called Brady a system QB that was made by Belichick for almost 20 years. 

He then went elsewhere and won again immediately, proving them all to be fools trying to cope.  "he's not that great!!!1!!1!!!!!"

Plus the fact that Brady's OC his first 4 or so years was Charlie Freaking Weiss

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

13 seconds is the biggest mistake. It cost the Bills their best shot to make it to the Super Bowl. They would have to beat the Bengals in the AFCCG first. The way they were playing at the time I think they would have won that game as well.

Agreed. Assuming that we know for sure that it was his f'up to begin with. And if it was now he's gone and pretty much done the same thing again only yesterday.  With the game on the line and needing a stop in either case he was unable to do it. With time running out Mac Jones leads the league's worst offense the length of the field for the winning score.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

It's trading Patrick Mahomes.

I'm sorry. It just is. He is going to go down as the second best QB in history.

I still believe in Josh and I also want to see what Mahomes looks like post-Kelce. Allen still has time to win multiple SBs and be greater than Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Baba Booey said:

It's Pat Mahomes! Love Josh Allen fellas, and he may at some point lead us to a Super Bowl. But when you pass on a Hall of Fame QB for more picks it stays with you for your coaching career. And I know Whaley was the GM at the time but McDermott was running that draft!! 13 seconds and close second though!

He didn't pass on a Hall of Fame QB for more picks...the Bills passed on a college QB who at the time had polarizing opinions on him even being worthy of the 10th pick, let alone worthy of being picked before Watson.  Trubisky was the consensus top QB in that draft.

So, you don't get to go back now and pretend Mahomes was like the greatest prospect ever and we just passed on him.  All the talk was that his mechanics would have to be rebuilt at the next level to succeed, and there was debate on whether he should even go in the first round.  

And it worked out pretty good for the Bills still landing Tre and assets that led to Allen too.  

Josh Allen didn't lose us that game against KC, our defense did otherwise Allen might have his own SB ring.  Take away Allen and plug in Mahomes and I don't think the Bills do much better than they already have.  

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He didn't pass on a Hall of Fame QB for more picks...the Bills passed on a college QB who at the time had polarizing opinions on him even being worthy of the 10th pick, let alone worthy of being picked before Watson.  Trubisky was the consensus top QB in that draft.

So, you don't get to go back now and pretend Mahomes was like the greatest prospect ever and we just passed on him.  All the talk was that his mechanics would have to be rebuilt at the next level to succeed, and there was debate on whether he should even go in the first round.  

And it worked out pretty good for the Bills still landing Tre and assets that led to Allen too.  

Josh Allen didn't lose us that game against KC, our defense did otherwise Allen might have his own SB ring.  Take away Allen and plug in Mahomes and I don't think the Bills do much better than they already have.  

Every single one of these decisions is evaluated in retrospect. 

And while Allen didn’t lose the 13 seconds game, Mahomes sure as hell won that game. 

biggest mistake on McDermott’s watch was giving the pick away that drafted the consensus best player in the nfl. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

Trading the number 10 overall pick to KC/Andy Reid in 2017. 

Even if McDermott had not drafted Mahomes, the fact the he ended up with Reid in KC has haunted the Bills multiple times over the years and has cemented the Chiefs as the dominant force in the AFC for the foreseeable future. 

Reid could have gone and drafted another QB and maybe had some success but what he ended up with in Mahomes is the absolute ideal situation for him and that team. 

It seems whenever their is a franchise changing opportunity the Bills always make the wrong decision. 

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but the Bills could have had Mahomes which was rumoured to be on the Bills radar that draft and the instead of trading a pick away for Diggs they could have gotten JJ and had him on the cheap for years. 

I know, I know…..woulda, coulda, shoulda…..

it’s the Buffalo Bills way. 

🤷

Edited by The 9 Isles
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, The 9 Isles said:

Trading the number 10 overall pick to KC/Andy Reid in 2017. 

Even if McDermott had not drafted Mahomes, the fact the he ended up with Reid in KC has haunted the Bills multiple times over the years and has cemented the Chiefs are the dominant force in the AFC foreseeable future. 

Reid could have gone and drafted another QB and maybe had some success but what he ended up with in Mahomes is the absolute ideal situation for him and that team. 

It seems whenever their is a franchise changing opportunity the Bills always make the wrong decision. 

I know hindsight is always 20/20 but the Bills could have had Mahomes which was rumoured to be on the Bills radar that draft and the instead of trading a pick away for Diggs they could have gotten JJ and had him on the cheap for years. 

I know, I know…..woulda, coulda, shoulda…..

it’s the Buffalo Bills way. 

🤷

No McD's biggest blunder was in overseeing the collapse in the last 13 seconds versus KC in the 2021 divisional playoffs.  Win that game and I'm very confident the Bills would have won their first Super Bowl.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

And while Allen didn’t lose the 13 seconds game, Mahomes sure as hell won that game. 

How big of you not to blame Allen for the 2021 KC playoff loss.

The fact is that no matter how brilliant Mahomes, Kelsey & Hunt were to get into position for the tying FG it took an extraordinary level of incompetence on the part of the Bills coaching staff to lose that game.

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

How big of you not to blame Allen for the 2021 KC playoff loss.

The fact is that no matter how brilliant Mahomes, Kelsey & Hunt were to get into position for the tying FG it took an extraordinary level of incompetence on the part of the Bills coaching staff to lose that game.

No other team in the NFL could’ve done it. 

On 10/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, FireChans said:

It's trading Patrick Mahomes.

I'm sorry. It just is. He is going to go down as the second best QB in history.

because he got to sit and learn behind Alex Smith and coached by Andy Reid, no guarantee he'd have remotely the same success here. That's like saying that Josh Allen be same QB if was drafted by Cleveland or the Jets in 2018. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

:13 seconds and the others aren't even close. Even today It still blows my mind that they lost that game. I could understand 1:00 on the clock, that would have sucked just as bad, but :13 seconds, how is that even possible, wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, like if that happened in a 1930 high school game with no video I probably wouldn't believe it.

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Maybe and only Mahomes wins that game. He’s a winner. 

I don't think Mahomes won that game. If there were 30 seconds, then sure as there is enough time to get into FG range especially with timeouts. If I remember correctly, they still had one maybe two. 13 seconds was a 100% screw up by McDermott, Frazier, and the defense. Mahomes, Kelce, Hill don't even factor into it with just 13 seconds. I don't care how good they are. 13 seconds is not enough time when you are starting at your own 25 unless the Bills totally choke which they did.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.