Poll: McDermott’s biggest mistake so far was …

GerstAusGosheim

Poll: McDermott’s biggest mistake so far was …  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think McDermott's biggest coaching error has been so far?

• Blowing :13’s
    • Giving a first time OC a chance with Josh Allen in his prime.
    • Ignoring OL and WR in favor of loading up on D
    • Underestimating what losing Daboll, Frazier and other long-term coaches like Hall etc. would do to “culture.”
    • Trading the Patrick Mahomes pick
    • Not clapping enough

It's Pat Mahomes! Love Josh Allen fellas, and he may at some point lead us to a Super Bowl. But when you pass on a Hall of Fame QB for more picks it stays with you for your coaching career. And I know Whaley was the GM at the time but McDermott was running that draft!! 13 seconds and close second though!

Edited by Baba Booey
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It's trading Patrick Mahomes.

I'm sorry. It just is. He is going to go down as the second best QB in history.

I’m sure Mahomes would’ve been the second best QB in history with Ken Dorsey as his mentor.  Not

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

disagree only because that’s a 20/20hindsight situation.

Mahomes was the third quarterback taken in that draft class for goodness sake.

there really wasn’t any hindsight that could be said about 13 seconds. It was just several blunders in a row.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Cmon this is the ultimate hindsight. They may not have even taken him at that spot. Nobody including KC knew just what they were getting.  Nobody else tried to trade up, Nobody took him in the first 9 picks. Some legit scouts thought he was a second rd talent.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Dont forget starting his career in 2017 under the tutelage of... Rick Dennison.

Haha yeah!  The wealth of knowledge we’d have given Mahomes would’ve far exceeded what Andy Reid could’ve ever given him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JMM said:

Cmon this is the ultimate hindsight. They may not have even taken him at that spot. Nobody including KC knew just what they were getting.  Nobody else tried to trade up, Nobody took him in the first 9 picks. Some legit scouts thought he was a second rd talent.

I don't blame him much for it. It is absolutely hindsight.

But having the second best QB in history at your pick, trading that pick to another team who then beats your team every year and wins 2 Superbowls in your eye, that sucks.

It's not just about having Mahomes. It's also about not having Mahomes standing in your way every year.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

Trading the Pat Mahomes pick. And it will ALWAYS be that until Josh wins a SB. 

hard to blame him for 13 seconds when you don’t blame him for passing on the QB that orchestrated that 13 seconds. 

not to mention passing on Pat Mahomes was 100% McDermott. 

the others on this list have others in that blame mix. 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

"Brady would've been nothing without Belichick" cope energy.

How many SBs has Mahomes won without Reid?  Meanwhile Brady won a SB in his first season without BB.

BB = defensive guru calling none of Brady’s plays.  

Reid = offensive play calling guru calling every Mahomes play. 

🤷🏻‍♂️ if you can’t tell the difference

• Agree 1

Just now, NewEra said:

How many SBs has Mahomes won without Reid?  Meanwhile Brady won a SB in his first season without BB.

Mahomes has never played without Reid.

The point, that flew over your head, was that dopes called Brady a system QB that was made by Belichick for almost 20 years. 

He then went elsewhere and won again immediately, proving them all to be fools trying to cope.  "he's not that great!!!1!!1!!!!!"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Mahomes has never played without Reid.

The point, that flew over your head, was that dopes called Brady a system QB that was made by Belichick for almost 20 years. 

He then went elsewhere and won again immediately, proving them all to be fools trying to cope.  "he's not that great!!!1!!1!!!!!"

Ok…. Cool.  I’m not one of those guys that you speak of, so it’s highly irrelevant to my post

Just now, NewEra said:

Ok…. Cool.  I’m not one of those guys that you speak of, so it’s highly irrelevant to my post

Like I said, big time "Brady is a system QB" cope energy.  You will find out in time.

He has Reid calling plays. Reid always was winning Superbowls calling plays with other QB's. Oh wait lmao.

• Agree 1

Just now, FireChans said:

Like I said, big time "Brady is a system QB" cope energy.  You will find out in time.

He has Reid calling plays. Reid always was winning Superbowls calling plays with other QB's. Oh wait lmao.

Mahomes would be great with or without Reid. I just don’t think he’s winning super bowls and becoming the 2nd best QB ever with Rick Dennison or Ken Dorsey.  Might have gotten one with Daboll….but I don’t think he could’ve played any better than Josh did in the 13 sec loss

Mahomes’ coaching staffs have been superior to Josh’s year in year out.  Great coaching wins super bowls on the reg.  We’ve never had “great coaching”…. And I’m a fan of mcdermott.  He’s just not great

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, FireChans said:

They drafted a QB the following year who has the ability like Mahomes to win multiple championships, unfortunately for Allen McDermott wasn’t Andy Reid and he didn’t have the luxury of the greatest TE of all time and the fastest most lethal non QB weapon in the league. In Hill.

Mahomes doesn’t have 2 titles and 2 MVPs under McDermott.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, julian said:

They drafted a QB the following year who has the ability like Mahomes to win multiple championships, unfortunately for Allen McDermott wasn’t Andy Reid and he didn’t have the luxury of the greatest TE of all time and the fastest most lethal non QB weapon in the league. In Hill.

Mahomes doesn’t have 2 titles and 2 MVPs under McDermott.

Citation needed.

OTHER: 

Trying to turn Allen into a Justin Herbert clone where he extends plays out of the pocket but never wants to actually run, hoping to throw the ball downfield instead.  

Teams are not respecting Allen's threat to run in these situations anymore and instead plastering the receivers downfield, making the throws harder and harder to fit in.  And worst of all, the Bills are doing it to themselves.

I promise you if we see a gameplan where Allen starts running more, especially out of the pocket, all of a sudden everything will open up again.  Bills are making themselves easy to defend.

Last year Allen had 70 more rushing attempts than Herbert did on the season(124 to 54). This year he has 1 more rushing attempt than Herbert does(29 to 28).  They have literally cut off their nose to spite their face on offense and trying to make Allen into someone else.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Your Brown Eye said:

giphy.gif 

LMAO...he's never had any other head coach!?!?

obv.

the comp was Brady, who’s won a SB without his HoF coach.  My point was, it’s not a comp because they aren’t in the same boat.  One has won a SB without said HoF coach.  

I just don’t think we would’ve won any super bowls if we had Mahomes instead of Josh.  In 20, the team wasn’t good enough.  In 21, the team was good enough and Josh played the best game a QB could play…. And still lost.  In 22, a rookie OC and injuries derailed a promising season.  The results would’ve been the same with Mahomes imo:  zero Lombardi’s

but we’ll never know

40 minutes ago, Irv said:

Paid way too much for Miller.  

This is my biggest, and really only, knock on Beane: He gets fixated on players for YEARS.

Same thing happened with Emmanuel Sanders. Tried signing him for 2-3 years, and by the time we finally could, he was over the hill and a shell of his former self. Yet Beane signed him as if he was in his 20s.

Repeat with Von Miller. Beane locked on him since the Denver/Carolina Super Bowl, tried to get him to Buffalo, and then years later paid him like he was in his prime.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Citation needed.

Watch them play the game of football, like the previous 3 head to head matches where Allen was the best player on the field on every occasion.

Unfortunately winning titles takes a whole lot more than a QB, the gap between Allen and Mahomes is too small to call it McDermott’s biggest coaching mistake.

That only works if you assume the same outcome in two totally different situations, which of course is not logical.

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

how many SB had Reid won without Mahomes???

• Agree 1

13 seconds is the biggest mistake. It cost the Bills their best shot to make it to the Super Bowl. They would have to beat the Bengals in the AFCCG first. The way they were playing at the time I think they would have won that game as well.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

how many SB had Reid won without Mahomes???

He was known as one of the best offensive minds in the game.  He had sustained success as an nfl head coach.  

What was Ken Dorsey before Josh Allen?  What had he accomplished?  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

13s lost us our chance at a Super Bowl, and looking like it's ultimately leading to McD losing the team.

in a few years more will come out about this situation. i've already said all there is about it that i learned but it was a near mutiny in the locker room leading to fights and frustration that stuck with us.

a straw that broke the camels back was when he ditched the ST Coordinator as a fall guy.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.