Simms: Gabe Davis is a good player, but he's not a number two

SydneyBillsFan

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence.  Could you try to break it up into smaller pieces and say it differently?

What he is trying to say is Davis is route limited because Dorsey wants him to be route limited by design. Huge stretch IMO.

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah, I am so sure that the Dorsey developed an offense that one WR has two routes that he runs almost all the time.  Come on man.

You don't really seem to know much of anything to tell the truth based on this conversation and are making giant leaps to conclusions that you have no basis for defending other than "it must be this".  OK, based on WHAT exactly that is factual and not some random opinion of yours?

Just now, Scott7975 said:

What he is trying to say is Davis is route limited because Dorsey wants him to be route limited by design. Huge stretch IMO.

Players have roles on teams, how is it a stretch?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

You don't really seem to know much of anything to tell the truth based on this conversation and are making giant leaps to conclusions that you have no basis for defending other than "it must be this".  OK, based on WHAT exactly that is factual and not some random opinion of yours?

It's a bigger leap on your part to try and say that Davis is route limited by design.  If that's the case then Dorsey is a problem. And to tell the truth you tried to compare Davis to Samuel lol.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

It's a bigger leap on your part to try and say that Davis is route limited by design.  If that's the case then Dorsey is a problem. And to tell the truth you tried to compare Davis to Samuel lol.

That wasn't him comparing him to Samuel... that was PBF81.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Uhh...in no place did I ever compare Davis to Samuel. 

Davis seems to be running the same routes that John Brown ran in this offense before he got here...deep overs/crossers, go routes and comebacks.

Same way Kincaid is running mostly the same routes that Beasley was running...choice routes and being the dump off guy for Allen in the slot.

And Harty is running most of the same type of routes that McKenzie is running and is the "gadget" guy. 

Seems like there are pre-defined roles for each receiver in this offense and what is being asked of them.

Not sure why this would not be the case in other offenses too...the route concepts being ran are the route concepts being ran.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean is it really that much more idiotic than suggesting Davis is a comparable player to Samuel?

Well...No

Although they're different. 

At least one is a football take, albeit a wrong-headed one to anyone who has watched both guys play

The other just seems ugly - venomous and spiteful as well as not matching this season's performance so far for Gabe

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Simms has basically been saying Josh needs more help all offseason.

There is a reason the Bills are never at the top of skill talent rankings.

Diggs keeps the Bills tethered in the top half of the league, but why is it so outlandish to say that Gabe is alright, and beyond him there isn’t one young player with high upside. 

Kincaid is the wild card here because we don’t know his ceiling yet. But even if he’s Dallas Goedert (Top 8, but not Top 1-2), is that good enough to be your second option? 

But Gabe is up after this year. Put up the poll on who would re-sign him to $20M/year to stay locked in as the #2.

Also, Diggs is now 30 and his cap hit will continue to increase. Even the most ardent Gabe supporters would admit he is not a #1, so what is your plan on that front? Run Diggs until the wheels fall off, have a first round WR to start phasing in? So far there has been 0 Diggs decline, so maybe you’re in good shape for 3 more years, and you can keep the current Diggs-Davis 1-2 for 3 more years. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

There is a reason the Bills are never at the top of skill talent rankings.

Diggs keeps the Bills tethered in the top half of the league, but why is it so outlandish to say that Gabe is alright, and beyond him there isn’t one young player with high upside. 

Kincaid is the wild card here because we don’t know his ceiling yet. But even if he’s Dallas Goedert (Top 8, but not Top 1-2), is that good enough to be your second option? 

But Gabe is up after this year. Put up the poll on who would re-sign him to $20M/year to stay locked in as the #2.

Also, Diggs is now 30 and his cap hit will continue to increase. Even the most ardent Gabe supporters would admit he is not a #1, so what is your plan on that front? Run Diggs until the wheels fall off, have a first round WR to start phasing in? So far there has been 0 Diggs decline, so maybe you’re in good shape for 3 more years, and you can keep the current Diggs-Davis 1-2 for 3 more years. 

Kincaid turning into Goedert would be a great outcome 

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well...No

Although they're different. 

At least one is a football take, albeit a wrong-headed one to anyone who has watched both guys play

The other just seems ugly - venomous and spiteful as well as not matching this season's performance so far for Gabe

I agree 👍

We can be critical w out being nasty

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Uhh...in no place did I ever compare Davis to Samuel. 

Davis seems to be running the same routes that John Brown ran in this offense before he got here...deep overs/crossers, go routes and comebacks.

Same way Kincaid is running mostly the same routes that Beasley was running...choice routes and being the dump off guy for Allen in the slot.

And Harty is running most of the same type of routes that McKenzie is running and is the "gadget" guy. 

Seems like there are pre-defined roles for each receiver in this offense and what is being asked of them.

Not sure why this would not be the case in other offenses too...the route concepts being ran are the route concepts being ran.

Im tired and been up since yesterday morning so I am not going to respond to this yet but I did want to take the time to apologize that I got you mixed up with another poster on that Samuel bit.  Sorry about that.

22 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Kincaid turning into Goedert would be a great outcome 

Agree and that’s why I set the bar there. That’s a darn good Tight End, but you’re not banking on peak Gronk/Kelce because it’s unrealistic. 

600-800 yards a year, is that good enough to be the #2 option? 

I think we just keep coming back to the same question, Gabe going to 170 yards in one game, to 20 yards the next game, the averages look good, but is it enough? 

Most likely we’ll have another round of Playoffs in 2023 to go with his 2022 performance as the sole #2, 2021

Sanders was out of gas by mid-season so that’s in the evaluation as well. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

But if we just look at “stats “, we also have to look deeper into the full picture 

How many targets he gets? And from that what’s his catch percentage? Drops? Contested catch rate? QB rating when targeting him?

Those numbers ^ were horrible for Gabe last year, and I’m guessing they aren’t great this year. (Maybe QB rating is ok as of this point)

Gabe is currently 27th in receiving yards for all WRs with 341 and he has 4 TDs (good for a 3rd place tie)

And yet, he is only 53rd in targets. 52 wide receivers have been targeted more than Gabe (yet only 26 of those have more yards than him).

Only 3 players have more TDs than Gabe (Tyreek, Stefon, and D.J. Moore)

He has 21 receptions on 30 targets, good for a catch percentage of 70%.

He has 2 drops (tied with 27 other receivers). Nine players have more than 2 drops. So, 35 other receivers have the same number or more drops than Gabe.

The deeper, full picture still looks pretty damn good. Still low-end #1 stats, as opposed to #2 or #3 (as some suggest).

14 hours ago, HappyDays said:

It's like how a lot of Bills fans thought we made a mistake letting Isaiah Hodgins go last year because he had decent production for the Giants. How's that looking now? Targets and catches have to go somewhere. The #2 passing target in one of the most high volume passing offenses in the league with an elite QB is ALWAYS going to get 800-900 yards. Pointing to Davis's pure volume numbers is a crutch for people who want to avoid talking about his actual capabilities as a player.

I hear this over and over when it comes to Gabe, the "high volume passing offense" and "Josh" excuse. First of all, yes, any WR that has an elite QB is going to be better than he would be with an average QB...you can't hold that against the WR. But how true is this "high volume passing game" theory?

Well, to this point in the 2023 season, 12 teams have thrown the ball more than the Bills and 6 teams have more passing yards than the Bills. So, we definitely are not far outpacing everyone in someway in pass attempts or passing yards.

Of those 14 total teams with either more pass attempts, more passing yards, or both, how many of their #2 wide receivers have better stats than Gabe?

None, really...I would say two ties (see below), but those three are better than all of the rest currently:

Calvin Ridley 363 yards and 2 TDs (but on 44 targets) [I have Ridley as a #2 because Kirk has more targets/yards than he does]

Gabe Davis 341 yards and 4 TDs (on 30 targets)

Josh Reynolds 341 yards and 3 TDs (on 27 targets)

And before you say the #2s on those 14 teams maybe aren't that good, here are some of the names of the number twos on higher passing teams that Gabe is still currently outperforming stat-wise (Tee Higgins, Jaylen Waddle, Devontae Smith, Michael Thomas, Tank Dell/Robert Woods, Josh Downs, Jahan Dotson/Curtis Samuel, Bourne/Smith-Shuster/Parker, Toney/Moore/Valdez-Scantling, D.J. Chark, Addison).

And as far as QBs, they aren't all elite, but they aren't bottom of the barrel either. QBs for the 14 (current) higher-volume passing teams:

Mahomes, Burrow, Stafford, Lawrence, Hurts, Tua, Goff, Cousins, Carr, Stroud, Howell, Richardson/Minschew, Young, Jones.

So, can't say that I buy the "High-volume passing offense" excuse when the Bills aren't even in the top 10 for pass attempts and Gabe is only the 53rd most-targeted WR, yet he's 27th in yards, tied for 3rd in TDs, and is outperforming most other #2s on fewer targets.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Agree and that’s why I set the bar there. That’s a darn good Tight End, but you’re not banking on peak Gronk/Kelce because it’s unrealistic. 

I think we just keep coming back to the same question, Gabe going to 170 yards in one game, to 20 yards the next game, the averages look good, but is it enough? 

Most likely we’ll have another round of Playoffs in 2023 to go with his 2022 performance as the sole #2, 2021

Agree on the Goedert standard

I don't really have an issue w Davis going up and down from game to game because that's kind of how the NFL works week to week

My thing w Davis has been his skillset is always going to be a limiting factor for this offense in his current capacity

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SWATeam said:

bUt iTs nOt aBOUt tHE nUMBers!!!

We need someone to run the whole route tree!  (then we'd be bitching about not having a deep threat)

The numbers are good because of Allen not Davis. You can literally plug in any JAG WR that will put up those numbers. 

29 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

29 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Players have roles on teams, how is it a stretch?  

The best WR can run all the routes and are flexible in roles, at least to some extent.  Jefferson had a monster season last year because the Vikes were using him all over the field.  Diggs is getting a large target share this season in part because the Bills are using him all over the field - in the slot, on short option routes, deep, on screens (i would have to say perhaps, following his blockers is not Diggs best skill) etc.

So when McDermott stands up and says in a presser, something to the effect that we have to know what players do best and put them in that position, on the one hand, he's right.  If following blockers isn't Diggs thing but Sherfield can do it, maybe don't use Diggs on screens.  Design for a player's strengths.  On the other hand, he's being a scootch disingenuous.  As a DC, McDermott knows well that if you've got a player who has a limited route vocabulary and is only likely to be targeted on, say, 2 of those routes, it's called "making my job easier".

I wish all-22 was fixed in the US so I could go through it play by play or that I could get my hands on the Euro version (if anyone knows how, hit me), because when I try to go off my impression from memory of TV broadcasts, I can be flat out wrong.  But my impression is that Dorsey does have (or at least started out the season) having Davis trying to run some shorter routes, curls and comebacks and slants and digs - and Davis just does not get open reliably on those.  He lacks that sudden quickness and deception that Diggs has.  And it's my impression that Allen and Davis have become a bit too predictable, there's too much film of certain route combinations and game situations where Allen will throw to Davis regardless - and guys in coverage know it and are prepared to jump those routes, resulting in picks or deflections.

Anyway, there's some truth to saying that players have roles on teams, but there's also some truth that professional NFL receivers need to be able to do more than one or two things or they will get "solved".  McKenzie's gadget reverses and jet sweeps became less effective as 2019 went on because DCs would see him and say "we know what's coming".   So the Bills started using him on slants and shallow crossers and flats, and that helped make the gadget plays more effective again.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

True.  Those thinking a Kincaid might be as good as two first ballot HOF TEs set themselves up for disappointment 

23 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is a really good question.

For some context, in 2019, the Bills #2 in yards and targets was Cole Beasley, with 106 targets for 778 yards 8.4 Y/R, 34 1D

2020, Beasley again, 107 targets for 967 yards 11.8 Y/R, 58 1D

2021, Beasley 112 receptions, 693 yds, but less Y/R 7.8, and fewer 1D 34

I take some flak for this, but I feel (and Chris Simms seems to agree) that what the Bills offense needs is a reliable outlet on short and intermediate routes, who is almost always open and can get those 1Ds and keep the chains moving.  So on that question, is 600-800 yds a year enough? it depends on the yards.  If it's 6-8 yds consistently on 2nd and 10 to put us in 3rd and short, or 5 yards on 3rd and 4 to get the 1D - it's probably enough. 

If we have that AND the 900-ish yards Davis is on pace to generate, that will probably be enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

For some context, in 2019, the Bills #2 in yards and targets was Cole Beasley, with 106 targets for 778 yards 8.4 Y/R, 34 1D

I take some flak for this, but I feel (and Chris Simms seems to agree) that what the Bills offense needs is a reliable outlet on short and intermediate routes, who is almost always open and can get those 1Ds and keep the chains moving.  So on that question, is 600-800 yds a year enough? it depends on the yards.  If it's 6-8 yds consistently on 2nd and 10 to put us in 3rd and short, or 5 yards on 3rd and 4 to get the 1D - it's probably enough. 

If we have that AND the 900-ish yards Davis is on pace to generate, that will probably be enough.

We need that person, Kincaid could certainly be that person, but will Josh consistently make the throw to that person?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

You'd have to ask Simms exactly what he means by that "too reliant on Diggs" thing.

Right now, Tyreek Hill has 59 targets and 814 yds for the Fins.  Waddle is trailing him with 35 targets and 296 yds.  Does that mean the Fins are "too reliant on Hill"?  I think it means Hill is their best receiver and is very difficult to shut down in the way they're using him.

While I stand by it that "#2 WR" has become the new "Franchise QB" around here, I do understand Simm's point.  Gabe racks up yards because he's used deep on lower percentage throws.  He doesn't seem to have the route-running chops and full route tree of a receiver like Waddle, who has been a #1 receiver in his time and who can happily take over the game and put up yards, if a team sets out to throttle down Hill.  I don't think any of us see Gabe as able to do that. ***

I think that last is correct, as is the "consistently" part.

Different teams fill needs in different ways, but again, it's a fact that the consistent chain mover as well as the #2 guy for targets and yards was Beasley, from 2019-2021.

***Edit: Davis has certainly taken over a handful of games - notably 1 playoff game per season (2020 Colts, 2021 KC, 2022 MIA).  He's also had a couple of 100 yd games, most recently 8 targets, 6 receptions against Jacksonville; 6 receptions for 93 yds against Minnesota in 2020; couple of 5 reception games against Tampa and Carolina in 2021.  Just to give the man his propers.  But those are like 4 games in 3 years.

you bring up some good points, but i feel like we lose, or barely win, the games where davis breaks out.  if him doing better doesn't make our team results better, then i gotta think he's not making the team better.

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

True.  Those thinking a Kincaid might be as good as two first ballot HOF TEs set themselves up for disappointment 

And those thinking that Kincaid has hit his ceiling are mistaken. 

So IMO, you use and develop Kincaid and Cook in the short passing game - this is better than last years McKenzie/Singletary duo.  You don't get a slot guy like Renfro, that would block the development of talented young players.  Kincaid and Cook are a big part of the foundation for our future.

You instead upgrade the WR2 if possible, where it looks like Gabe is what he is at this point.  If the FO can get a D Adams or Meyers or DHop or Thielen, this would be most beneficial this year and not block the development of our future.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thanks for this.

Allen is still a playmaker, so Diggs and Kincaid as the #1-#2 with no Gabe Davis, and the same Harty, Sherfield (I know he’s only on a one year deal) and Shakir leaves the team with next to no deep speed beyond Diggs, who has just enough to threaten the entire defense. 

Gabe also brings the only WR with size on the team. 

So good points all around. A steady, consistent 50-55 yards per game to work sustaining routes, seems achievable for Kincaid, but the Bills would be short an outside WR with deep capability without Gabe.

And I’m guessing we don’t want all our rocket armed QB to work nothing but underneath routes because all he has is Diggs. 

9 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

And those thinking that Kincaid has hit his ceiling are mistaken. 

So IMO, you use and develop Kincaid and Cook in the short passing game - this is better than last years McKenzie/Singletary duo.  You don't get a slot guy like Renfro, that would block the development of talented young players.  Kincaid and Cook are a big part of the foundation for our future.

You instead upgrade the WR2 if possible, where it looks like Gabe is what he is at this point.  If the FO can get a D Adams or Meyers or DHop or Thielen, this would be most beneficial this year and not block the development of our future.

I think both Kincaid and Knox will have very good careers.  It really comes down to Josh spreading the ball around and Dorsey setting good route combos.  We saw how well it can work in the three blowout games this season.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I think both Kincaid and Knox will have very good careers.  It really comes down to Josh spreading the ball around and Dorsey setting good route combos.  We saw how well it can work in the three blowout games this season.

I agree.  With our current personnel I would like to see more short, high percentage, passing to Cook/Kincaid and Knox.  You still have Diggs targeted a lot, and slightly reduce the number of targets to Gabe.   We've seen flashes that this could be potent.  I think McDemott was talking to this.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I agree.  With our current personnel I would like to see more short, high percentage, passing to Cook/Kincaid and Knox.  You still have Diggs targeted a lot, and slightly reduce the number of targets to Gabe.   We've seen flashes that this could be potent.  I think McDemott was talking to this.

Yep.  Shorter route success would also open up the deeper routes for Gabe.  And Diggs will get his no matter what- he’s that good.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, colin said:

you bring up some good points, but i feel like we lose, or barely win, the games where davis breaks out.  if him doing better doesn't make our team results better, then i gotta think he's not making the team better.

The Steelers game from last year?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Thanks for this.

Allen is still a playmaker, so Diggs and Kincaid as the #1-#2 with no Gabe Davis, and the same Harty, Sherfield (I know he’s only on a one year deal) and Shakir leaves the team with next to no deep speed beyond Diggs, who has just enough to threaten the entire defense. 

Gabe also brings the only WR with size on the team. 

So good points all around. A steady, consistent 50-55 yards per game to work sustaining routes, seems achievable for Kincaid, but the Bills would be short an outside WR with deep capability without Gabe.

And I’m guessing we don’t want all our rocket armed QB to work nothing but underneath routes because all he has is Diggs. 

Shakir did lay down a 4.43 40 time, which is pretty much the same as Diggs 4.46.  The difference for deep routes, IMHO, is that Shakir has those little 29"  Tyrannasaurus Rex arms vs. Diggs 31" arms and 10" hands.  The better to hold you off with, my dear. 

2" makes a difference when you're going deep (That's What She Said).

Beane's "sell" when we signed Harty was that he can track the ball on deep routes (McKenzie just couldn't track it very well) and has a complete route tree.  He's in the same speed range as Shakir and Diggs, but has even shorter arms than Shakir.  Maybe because he's only 5'6", the DB will struggle to reach down that far?  I keep asking whether Harty is getting open on his 10-15 snaps per game?  I hear he's our new "gadget guy" but I haven't seen him running those jet sweeps and reverses, and he looks slow when he's running routes - possibly because he's getting mugged by the DBs.

Anyway, they have "enough speed to threaten the entire defense", what they don't have is the superior deceptive and smooth route running that Diggs has, and the upper body arm length and strength to hold off hand-fighting DBs.

As far as size, keep in mind the Bills drafted Shorter in the 5th because of his 6'4" height and 33 3/4" arms (combined with a 35+" vertical and then doubled down by picking up Tyrell Shavers (another 6'4" guy) as an UDFA.  The hope is that one of them develops into that "big guy" for us

I do expect us to make 2 moves at WR next season - trying to sign a better FA, and trying to draft higher.  I was kind of grumpy about the Bills drafting Dorian Williams in the 3rd instead of a WR - Michael Wilson was there? but as it's turned out, might be just as well.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Agree on the Goedert standard

I don't really have an issue w Davis going up and down from game to game because that's kind of how the NFL works week to week

My thing w Davis has been his skillset is always going to be a limiting factor for this offense in his current capacity

To this I don’t think Davis is a problem here as much as the depth to our pass catchers. 

Davis is the whipping boy for a larger issue. He’ll have a long career. His family will be set for life. But he’ll never be the blue ribbon receiver for any team and that’s totally OK. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

Well, first off, I don't understand the "barely win".  What's a "barely win"?  I know that "barely lose" doesn't count.

Davis has helped us win playoff games - Indy in 2020, Miami in 2022, and while we lost 13 seconds in KC, that's really not on Davis, he did all he could possibly do.

He's been a significant part of a good handful of other regular season wins even if they weren't OMG 6 receptions for 113! contributions.  He did have a 6 reception for 93 yds game vs. Minn, and it wasn't his fault Josh threw 2 picks to Peterson, or started thinking about diving out of the EZ before he got both hands on the ball thus fumbled the snap, or that Cam Lewis didn't knock the ball away from Justin Jefferson on 4th and 18.

So I  don't think you can really make an argument for "him doing better doesn't make our team results better".  I mean, seriously?  It's a team game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

The Steelers game from last year?

true, but that was a walk away blow out.  im just saying, i think his production is from him being a JAG on a great O, and he doesn't make the guys around him better.

55 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, first off, I don't understand the "barely win".  What's a "barely win"?  I know that "barely lose" doesn't count.

Davis has helped us win playoff games - Indy in 2020, Miami in 2022, and while we lost 13 seconds in KC, that's really not on Davis, he did all he could possibly do.

He's been a significant part of a good handful of other regular season wins even if they weren't OMG 6 receptions for 113! contributions.  He did have a 6 reception for 93 yds game vs. Minn, and it wasn't his fault Josh threw 2 picks to Peterson, or started thinking about diving out of the EZ before he got both hands on the ball thus fumbled the snap, or that Cam Lewis didn't knock the ball away from Justin Jefferson on 4th and 18.

So I  don't think you can really make an argument for "him doing better doesn't make our team results better".  I mean, seriously?  It's a team game.

said another way: he's not a real difference maker, he's just better than what else we have at that position behind him.

24 minutes ago, colin said:

true, but that was a walk away blow out.  im just saying, i think his production is from him being a JAG on a great O, and he doesn't make the guys around him better.

said another way: he's not a real difference maker, he's just better than what else we have at that position behind him.

*sigh* this begs the question "what is a real difference maker"?  It sounds like the kissing cousin to the question "what do you mean by #2 WR?"

Previously we were at "if him doing better doesn't make our team results better, then I gotta think he's not making the team better".  Well, he is, clearly, making the Bills team better and has made the Bills team better since he was drafted in the 4th round.

But if we're now talking "real difference maker" as in "guy who can totally take over the game if you manage to shut down the #1", we're now into "I'll take teams with two number one receivers, Alex" and the answer "What are Miami, Cincy, Philly, and San Francisco?"

If we want to say Gabe Davis isn't Jaylen Waddle, Tee Higgins,  Devonta Smith, or Deebo Samuel - well, No.  No, on  the evidence to date, he's not.  Fair enough. 

He wasn't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, either.

The Bills are trying to get WR Champagne on a Beer Budget, is part of the issue.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

We need that person, Kincaid could certainly be that person, but will Josh consistently make the throw to that person?

That, is a very good question.

Edited by Beck Water

6 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Are you saying Gabe Davis is as good as Deebo Samuel?

No.  Does it read that way?   Is this an either/or thing?  Or do you think that there's more to the analysis?

But Samuel's more like the WR2 that some are crying for.  

Do you think that it's irrelevant that Davis has nearly twice the TDs in fewer games played?  

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

*sigh* this begs the question "what is a real difference maker"?  It sounds like the kissing cousin to the question "what do you mean by #2 WR?"

Previously we were at "if him doing better doesn't make our team results better, then I gotta think he's not making the team better".  Well, he is, clearly, making the Bills team better and has made the Bills team better since he was drafted in the 4th round.

But if we're now talking "real difference maker" as in "guy who can totally take over the game if you manage to shut down the #1", we're now into "I'll take teams with two number one receivers, Alex" and the answer "What are Miami, Cincy, Philly, and San Francisco?"

If we want to say Gabe Davis isn't Jaylen Waddle, Tee Higgins,  Devonta Smith, or Deebo Samuel - well, No.  No, on  the evidence to date, he's not.  Fair enough. 

He wasn't drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, either.

The Bills are trying to get WR Champagne on a Beer Budget, is part of the issue.

On a slightly different perspective.

I think McBeanes and Dorsey need to better plan how to use the types of talent and skill sets they brought in.

Seems to be a slight disconnect there.

the rotation at RB seemed to be a real asset for a game or two in the run game. Lets get the pass catcher doing what they do best. Davis has a skill set that might be better served, if we involve the others. Allowing the offense to dictate a bit more.

I feel a good few passes are forced plays , by Allen and Ken , when they may need to look at the third or fourth check to find the soft spots.

Keep poking around till they find it.

Since they have a run game available now, defenses should have to play a tad more honestly in the pass game. And we have seen that with some nice one on ones running routes.

Davis has a role. We just need to get everyone more involved to create the proper match ups,

and then see them Post Snap.

Edited by 3rdand12

18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

No.  Does it read that way?   Is this an either/or thing?  Or do you think that there's more to the analysis?

But Samuel's more like the WR2 that some are crying for.  

Do you think that it's irrelevant that Davis has nearly twice the TDs in fewer games played?  

Here is my take on the further analysis

I do not think it's particularly relevant Davis has a bunch of TDs just like I didn't find it a compelling argument that Knox was a guy to pay because he had a year or so of catching a lot of touchdowns. The reason being that this offense under Allen is a touchdown machine and somebody has to catch them...guys are going to score catching passes here, it's inevitable and it doesn't speak to their ability so much as opportunity.

What I find striking is the amount of people wringing their hands over the Dorsey and the offense's 'inconsistency' who can't make the connection between that and having guys like Davis and Knox as 2nd and 3rd target shares. I already made this point but if you look at Miami's offense, they deal w a similar amount of variance in their scoring output because their QB is inherently limited. Imo a top3 scoring offense featuring Davis and Knox in their current roles is about as close to maximizing our personnel as can possibly be asked for.

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

My thoughts are I would take Samuel over Davis in a heartbeat.

Yes, I understand that's what a lot of peoples' thoughts are.  

Mine are to consider a number of other factors before rushing into a decision like that, and file under be careful what you wish for, you may get it. 

That's not to say that Samuel might not be better.  It is to say that IMO it's a bit more complicated than that for reasons that I've already hinted at or outright mentioned.  

His per game stats are roughly similar to Davis. Samuel missed more than 3/4 of the last game as he left with a shoulder injury in the first quarter.  So your overall stats you are showing are skewed.

"My stats", really simply the stats, were on a per-game basis over the course of a career.  5th season for Samuel, 4th for Davis.  So not quite sure why you say that.  

Gabe makes more big plays, that much should be obvious.  

I have a hunch that if we did get a "WR2" here that did run more routes, etc., but didn't put up those big plays, everyone would be all over him too for not making enough big plays.  

As good as Purdy has been, he isn't Allen. 49ers also have more weapons, spread the ball around more, and have a good running game to boot.  So its not an apples to apples comparison you are making here. Furthermore, (a) Samuel runs a full route tree and not just sprints, (b) he has way more YAC, and (c) he is better at contested catches. You can't show everything with stats. 

I would argue the "more weapons" for SF although that's not particularly relevant.  What is relevant is how would Samuel be in our offense?   The short answer is that we don't know.  

Keep in mind, we can't use Kincaid effectively.  What makes you think that this staff is going to use a WR like Samuel to his capabilities?  (which are different than Gabe's, which shouldn't get lost in the discussion)  

I'm far from convinced that we would reap the full benefits of a WR like Samuel opposite Diggs.  Consider Hines last season.  He was among the best receiving RBs in the league when he was in Indy.  Here, ... nada.  They talked about it as they traded for him, but never got it done.  It's hardly that we didn't need it or couldn't have used it.  

And how would Samuel do on a team that doesn't typically rely on a pocket, like SF does, and with the lesser running game that you mention?  

A lot of people put blame on Gabe's shoulders, but it really should be on the coaching staff, but they cannot bring themselves to see that.  

Again, there's some cart/horse stuff involved here.  

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Here is my take on the further analysis

I do not think it's particularly relevant Davis has a bunch of TDs just like I didn't find it a compelling argument that Knox was a guy to pay because he had a year or so of catching a lot of touchdowns. The reason being that this offense under Allen is a touchdown machine and somebody has to catch them...guys are going to score catching passes here, it's inevitable and it doesn't speak to their ability so much as opportunity.

What I find striking is the amount of people wringing their hands over the Dorsey and the offense's 'inconsistency' who can't make the connection between that and having guys like Davis and Knox as 2nd and 3rd target shares. I already made this point but if you look at Miami's offense, they deal w a similar amount of variance in their scoring output because their QB is inherently limited. Imo a top3 scoring offense featuring Davis and Knox in their current roles is about as close to maximizing our personnel as can possibly be asked for.

No doubt.  We obviously disagree as to the extent that coaching is implicated.  

As sunshynman just said, there are far too many times where multiple receivers are in the same exact spot or other such issues, that have nothing to do with the WR-ing talent.  Among other issues that are not directly related to the talent.  

Also, If they cannot take a proven good-hands and excellent route-running talent like Kincaid, and get a little bit more than what's presently pacing for 334 yards, 0 TDs, a dozen 1st-Downs, all on fewer than 7 Yards-per-Catch, it's a tough battle claiming that coaching isn't the biggest reason for that ridiculous output.  I think most people here will be stunned if Kincaid doesn't put up at least what Knox did last season.  

And at the very minimum then, start holding Beane accountable for drafts that force us to go the free-agency route.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.